Poll: The Elder Scrolls or Fallout? Which game/s and why?

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Until Fallout lets me use magic, Elder Scrolls.

My first Western fantasy setting RPG of many was Elder Scrolls. And I daresay the most original take of the ones I've played. Orcs are civilized, elves are divided, and dwarves are basically extinct.
Until TES lets me use guns, Fallout.

My first Western post-apocalyptic setting RPG of many was Wasteland (Fallout's spiritual predecessor). And I daresay the most original take of the ones I've played. People are uncivilized, ghouls are divided, and robots are basically eternal.

Zaverexus

Jul 5, 2010
Jay Parrish said:
Zaverexus said:
I haven't played Elder Scrolls aside from about an hour of Oblivion, but I love Fallout 3 so... there you go
You should try to play Oblivion a little more, once you get a nicely rounded character you can really find yourself immersed in the world and it's lore.
Yeah, I didn't stop because I didn't like it. I don't have an XBox; I was just playing it while over at a friend's house

Captcha: Upupda principle,

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
For me the Elder Scrolls comes out as a clear favorite, don't get me wrong I loved fallout 3 to pieces but their just isn't enough really good fantasy games anymore.

I always have games with guns, I next to never get to wield a sword and magic in a game i'd class as good anymore. Its all about escapism, and the elder scrolls offer one of the most deep and engaging worlds you could hope for. For me in a way it's escapism from yet another brown based shooter (loved fallout 3 still though).

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Fallout 3 and NV always just felt like a lesser port of Oblivion to me, just the same but worse in pretty much every way. Something that bothered me about Oblivion was that I could be stood there, repeatedly slashing a guy and it would take about 100 hits to kill him, but when that becomes 100 shots to the face, it just goes beyond ridiculous.

Plus Fallout pretty much just misses out on magic, one of the best things to mess around with on Oblivion, which also leads to an (almost) complete lack of original weapons in the wasteland. Add the fact that the main form of combat in Fallout 3 and NV is ranged, something that the Gamebryo engine has never done well, and the only reason left to choose Fallout is the world if you prefer it. I do not.

If the older games are taken into account then that makes the decision even easier for me, because Daggerfall and Morrowind just blew Fallout 1 and 2 out of the water as far as I am concerned.

ArtemusClydeFrog

Feb 1, 2011
I got into the TES franchise when Oblivion came out, and I loved it! One of my friends convinced me to try Fallout 3 - I was quite hesitant, I thought it just looked like dull space marine shooter at first glance. But when I'd played it for roughly a couple of hours, I was convinced it was the best game ever - and I still am.
So for the atmosphere, the setting - with it's immensely original blend of post-apocalyptic sci-fi and 50s pop culture (way more original than the world of TES, and the humor and references to modern society (not much of either in TES in my opinion) I'd definitely have to go with Fallout.