Poll: the end of pokèmon

imaloony

Nov 19, 2009
God yes. P/D/Pt was easily the worst generation of Pokemon ever. I never played SS or HG, but honestly, I'd rather just play my old Crystal (If the battery in it hadn't died...). The Pokemon mystery dungeon games were a fun twist, but now they're just getting ridiculous, dragging that series way further than it should go as well. Pokemon should be lined up with 3D sonic games at the firing range and put out of its misery.

Kouen

Yea, Furry. Deal With It!
Mar 23, 2010
Me personally Im sick to death of damn pokemon >.< but yea it aint gonna die its become like Zelda and Mario to Nintendo but hell they will milk it till it looks like the kung fu cow "moo too" in Kung Pow id spose. Id rather Nintendo Spent there efforts developing a New IP.

But that's just my opinion.

Tomster595

Aug 1, 2009
Well, the new Pokemon are getting kinda dumb, but I really loved Heartgold, so if they could just make remakes or new material using the old Pokemon, I would love that.

AdamRBi

Feb 7, 2010
odanhammer said:
I've loved to see a real pokemon game , in which follows closer to the show rather then to limited gameboy crap.
The original games where limited to 4 moves per pokemon due to limits in the software at the time.
Those limits have since been removed , and your telling me that i can still only get 4 moves.

Why not make it so your moves level up rather then your pokemon, or have the moves level up as well as the pokemon.

Second off , make it so you can catch all the pokemon in the game , two games to get all the pokemon is a scam to get more money and i refuse to follow that, although the online trading did help a lot.

Thirdly, i'd love to have a story but not be forced to follow a path, if i want to go to the "last gym" first i should be able to.

Fourthly, who is buying these games anymore , each game is a copy / paste of the last game with a few minor features added. Gold was the best of all of them , hence the remake which is just another cash grab.
Ok, first of all: No, the games should never follow the cartoon. This has been a major folly of the games in that they've been getting a little too close to the show for comfort. The closer it gets to the show, the more designed for kids the characters get and the more it's dumbed down for a smaller demographic.

Secondly, the amount of damage a move does is tied in with your pokemon's attack/special attack, your opponent's defense/special defense, and the move's power plus any items, natures, or abilities present in batter. It's already deep enough to the point where the moves can get better by simply leveling your pokemon. Also keeping it to four moves balances out the game and adds more strategy to which moves you can use and how you should use those moves together. Adding more moves could, in theory, add to this, but then again it has more of a chance of unbalancing certain pokemon and ruining the strategy aspect.

Third, true: Making it necessary to trade to catch all the pokemon does seem like a ploy to get more money. Unless you have friends who got the other versions or wifi in which case they were buying the game anyway. Though on that subject they do need to stop with the this-version-only Legendaries.

Fourthly: I'm still buying these games because I love the series, there's enough change between each game in the core gameplay mechanics to keep it interesting, and because of that I can have a whole new experience, especially if I play through it to have fun and not just "beat the game." Honestly, Pokemon Platinum, I took that game slow and didn't beat the elite four until after Heart Gold came out. I haven't bought the Remake yet, but I'm still Playing Platinum.

I'm not going to say you need a bit of imagination to enjoy the game, but it really helps in terms of the story and characters. Pokemon games appear cookie cutter/copy pasted because the shell of the game doesn't change. That's because they kept changing how the game works and how it's played, which in a game is the number one priority of developers.

And just to restate: The games should NEVER be like the show. EVER!! If you want a game based off the show, buy Pokemon Yellow Version.

EDIT: This post sounds looks like a rant, I'll sum it up:

1. Pokemon Games should never mimic the Cartoon, the Cartoon should more closely follow the games. (Almost like the Manga does.)

2. The Pokemon gameplay mechanics are so intertwined under the surface that something like multiple moves could throw the balance off.

3. The need to trade pokemon to complete the pokedex can be seen as a way to make more money, but it does have a bit of merit to it involving people to communicate with others to finish their game instead of being antisocial with it.

4. I love the series, they've done such a great job making each generation different enough then the last in terms of gameplay that it makes up for the fact that the general plot is the same.

5. Pokemon Games should NEVER be like the Cartoon! EVER!!

MalevolentJim

Aug 15, 2008
AdamRBi said:
And just to restate: The games should NEVER be like the show. EVER!! If you want a game based off the show, buy Pokemon Yellow Version.
Quite a lot of people here (not me though) would argue that Yellow was the best Pokémon game ever made.Though it didn't follow the tv show that much,it just gave you a Pikachu and all the primary starters (which were weaker than in red and blue,I believe).

Mr.Lucifer

Nov 1, 2009
I really get tired of fans ***** that some franchise should die. The games have been getter every gennrations. Gen 2 hasn't even aged that well. The original games are shits by today's standards. You only think the original gens are better because you grew up with them.

AdamRBi

Feb 7, 2010
MalevolentJim said:
AdamRBi said:
Quite a lot of people here (not me though) would argue that Yellow was the best Pokémon game ever made.Though it didn't follow the tv show that much,it just gave you a Pikachu and all the primary starters (which were weaker than in red and blue,I believe).
I will admit, I had the game and loved it. (Little brother lost it however, so I don't remember if you could switch Pikachu out of your party.) I wouldn't call it the best, but it was fun.

Though I've noticed that Pokemon took on less of a monstrous form and more of a rounder, slightly less beastly form between Red/Blue/Green and Yellow. That's only really the sprites though, and only applied to a portion of Pokemon.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
I think that it's run it's course. There isn't much left to do that hasn't already been done unless Nintendo decides to make a Pokemon FPS.

MalevolentJim

Aug 15, 2008
AdamRBi said:
MalevolentJim said:
AdamRBi said:
I will admit, I had the game and loved it. (Little brother lost it however, so I don't remember if you could switch Pikachu out of your party.) I wouldn't call it the best, but it was fun.

Though I've noticed that Pokemon took on less of a monstrous form and more of a rounder, slightly less beastly form between Red/Blue/Green and Yellow. That's only really the sprites though, and only applied to a portion of Pokemon.
Which puzzles me too.Seriously,what 5-8 year old kid DOESN'T LIKE DRAGONS?I've noticed much less of the reptile/dragon based pokémon.More gay,squirrely marsupial pokémon.And the new starters are certainly leaning towards gay rather than cool.

AdamRBi

Feb 7, 2010
WorldCritic said:
I think that it's run it's course. There isn't much left to do that hasn't already been done unless Nintendo decides to make a Pokemon FPS.
They had a rail-shooter. You rode in a car on this track and shot pictures Pokemon. "Pokemon Snap" was awesome (oops, theres my nostalgia talking again). It was a fun game.

AdamRBi

Feb 7, 2010
MalevolentJim said:
AdamRBi said:
MalevolentJim said:
AdamRBi said:

Which puzzles me too.Seriously,what 5-8 year old kid DOESN'T LIKE DRAGONS?I've noticed much less of the reptile/dragon based pokémon.More gay,squirrely marsupial pokémon.And the new starters are certainly leaning towards gay rather than cool.
It's easier to give them personalities that way, and giving them personalities makes it easier for them to be written in to the show. See this is why I said that the games should never mimic the show. Pokemon now a days are less Monster then they used to be. Monsters can feel love to, but they've over blown it to the point where Fire-Breathing Lizards are smug, sentient beings who act more on human emotions then they do survival instincts.

Yubadias

Jul 14, 2009
I actually think the Hoenn games were good, with some really cool pokemon (Salamence, groudon, aggron, wailord etc.), ad nintendo's been remaking the classic games (Fire Red, Leaf Green, Heart Gold and Soul Silver), so I don't know what you're complaining about seeing as some of the features in the originals are as good as a steak knife through the neck (bag, PC systems).

I will admit that Sinnoh's pokemon are really lame in comparison to Kanto, Johto and Hoenn, and the new starters did make me suspicious. A pig, lizard and otter? Seriously? I'll choose the pig.

Stone Wera

Feb 13, 2010
If they can actually make a game as good as the first two again, then yes they should continue.

TAGM

Dec 16, 2008
Mr. Grey" post="9.194919.6232328 said:
I've been waiting for a Mature rated version of Pokemon. Why? Because I just do. I don't want it to be gory or risque, I honestly want it to be mature... although a little gore doesn't hurt.
You don't want a mature Pokemon. We have enough mature Pokemon stuff floating around the internet for me to be able to tell you that YOU DON'T WANT IT.

AT ALL.

Con Carne

Nov 12, 2009
It's as repetitive, as repetitive, as repetitive, as repetitive, as repetitive, as, Dragonball, as repetitive, as Dragonball Z.
So my vote is yes! Knock it off!

NeutralMunchHotel

Jun 14, 2009
blakfayt said:
*ahem* No, they should hire me to write and produce the next game, who would like to join team rocket (a new name they would have yes) and steal pokemon? Or maybe you could help out the police and get discounts on items? or you could skip all that crap and take on the gym challenge like a NORMAL FRIGGIN PERSON. Leave all that jazz to the player, but give the option to do any of them. That's right, alignment/story choices that ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING! I have a boat load of ideas that could make pokemon a real RPG game, but no one listens to me.
Huh. When I read that I... I hated it. Pokemon is a winning, classic formula. Some things need to be updated (look at Assassin's Creed 2), but when the same enjoyable game has come out for fifteen years - let it stay that way.