Poll: The greatest Captain

regalphantom

Feb 10, 2011
Captain Jack Sparrow would beat them all, if for no other reason than that he'd get drunk, wander around aimlessly for a bit, then accidentally set off some doomsday device and run away with his rum in the last escape boat, pod, car, etc.

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
It's been said, but may my barnacles be blistered (fully aware how innuendo-tastic that sounds) if I don't bring up Captain Haddock.

In fact, who created this thread without the option of Captain Haddock?!

floobie

Sep 10, 2010
Star Trek only, I take it?

Janeway. I'm quite familiar with Star Trek in general... seen all the series soooo many times. But, Janeway's overall style has always appealed to me the most. Quick witted, matter of fact, genuinely likeable, but you don't forget for a second that she's in charge.

Don't get me wrong, though. Picard is still fucking awesome. A super close second, for me. The rest are all about even for me.

Now, every sci-fi captain ever? Malcolm Reynolds, of course.

Thumper17

May 29, 2009
It was between Kirk or Picard, I've only really seen Tos TNG and Voyager, and I didnt care for Janeway. I had to think of the man I'd rather serve under and Kirk was too emotional and didnt really think things through. Picard was smart, cold, calculating and business like, giving me a sense of calm and the knowledge that the ship was in good hands.

So Picard, because he's not as bombastic.

Angelus SnV

Nov 19, 2009
My fave: Captain Malcom Renyolds. Yes, i know that isn't a Star Trek captain, but i'm not a Trek fan...not bashin' anybody that is, just offerin' my two cents....

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Woodsey said:
Kirk gets all the pussy. You speak as if this is a competition.
I never saw Kirk mow down aliens with a Tommy Gun. Then again kirk did score with an entire color catalog of somehow foxy and quite human looking ladies.

I'm torn.

TheMann

Jul 13, 2010
-Ezio- said:
the only true choice.

You know, I knew someone would have to beat me to this but, hey, it's obvious. Let's draw a comparison:

Capt. Kirk
Ship: USS Enterprise. A flagship vessel, teleportation, matter synthesizers, warp drive, ect.
Affiliation: The federation.
Weapons: Phazers, torpedoes, stuff like that.
Mission: Boldly going places, fighting Klingons, killing redshirts, yada yada...

Capt. Picard
Ship: USS Enterprise v2.0. An even bigger capital ship. Has all the the trapping of Kirk's ship, plus even more advanced stuff.
Affiliation: Federation.
Weapons: Same as Kirk, but more powerful and advanced. Probably some stuff I haven't heard of; Klingon-fu.
Mission: Similar to Kirk, but with more powerful enemies and more emphasis on diplomacy and peacekeeping.

Capt. Mal
Ship: Serenity. An aging rust-bucket, kept flying through prayers, duct tape, and luck. Every landing is a near-death experience.
Affiliation: Fucking nobody.
Weapons: An unstable, ax-crazy, psychic waif; Vera.
Mission: Armed robbery.

Yeah, I think the choice is pretty clear. Also:

Mmm, yep.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
Sherlock/ said:
Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds, ofc.

You silly trekkies...
Can't beat a big damn hero, tbh.

Captain Hammer is a close second, obviously.

CulixCupric

Oct 20, 2011
Spock, Spock has been captain on occasion. like whenever kirk got lost, went missing, was going crazy, sick, suspended, etc.

willis888

May 18, 2010
James T. Kirk - brilliant

Jean Luc Picard - cranky, too formal

Benjamin Sisko - he punched Q . . . badass

Kathryn Janeway - competent but not extraordinary

Johnathan Archer - Unsure, I haven't seen that series.

Between brilliant Kirk or badass Sisko, I'd rather have Kirk at the helm for extraordinary circumstances. But it would be cooler to have Sisko in charge of the daily grind.

Anti Nudist Cupcake said:
NONE!
I vote, CAPTAIN JACK SPARROW!!!!
That was my first pick too. The thread's title is misleading.