Poll: The Manliness Conundrum

daftalchemist

Aug 6, 2008
Wenseph said:
Radoh said:
The smaller guy retorted however, that in order to be Manly, you can't allow yourself to be restricted by anything, Man law or no. That to restrict yourself from anything is to be considered a sign of weakness.
I'm a woman, but I still wanted to give my opinion and I completely agree with this guy. The manliest thing a man can do, is to be himself.
As a woman, I definitely agree there's nothing more "manly" than a guy who can be himself without worrying about whether other guys will question his "manliness".

Honestly, what could possibly be more insecure than a guy who lives his life to some made up standard of how a real man should act, just so other men don't think he's less of a man? I know I suck at being a woman. My boyfriend jokes they should revoke my ovaries. But if anyone tried to teach me a lesson on how to be "ladylike", I would look them in the eye and laugh. I like who I am.

K1NG_IC3

Mar 11, 2011
You are manly until proven unmanly. Manlaw does not qualify (to me) unless they find a violation against you. That said...most people don't take manlaw/being manly seriously unless:

1-Around "The Guys" (In which it is usually fun)
2-Insecure (Which would, in fact, make you unmanly)
or 3-Your on the internet

That said only SOME people can get away with somethings that are deemed "unmanly" while remaining "manly". Other things on the spectrum of unmanly are just plain unforgivable...(Only football players can get away with being metrosexual).

It is a silly thing but only when taken to heart. Manlaw doesn't really say what should be done to be manly, but if you break a rule, TAKE AWAY THE MANCARD!!!

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
I'm a man because I do what I think is right, I am confident in my beliefs but rational and open-minded enough to change them, I am aware of my physical prowess and my physical limits, I indulge in a wide range of hobbies and interests, I try to improve myself and to perform everything I do to the best of my ability. I strive to be the best human being that I can be, and I'm happy to help others do so too.

Whether or not that makes me manly is irrelevant.

Slim-Shot

Aug 9, 2009
I follow man law! I eat meat, I don't eat vegetarian dishes, I lift heavy weights for fun and play contact sports. I don't wear underwear on Sundays, I don't take shit from bitches, and I nom down Double Downers from KFC. I don't buy meals from restaurants where I can see more plate than food, I think soccer is for poofs and I've killed a variety of wild life and fauna - some with my bare hands.

Oh, and I drink Speights.

Well, thats how real men roll in NZ

Edit: Oh, and real men don't listen to Dubstep... Ever.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
you are real manly if you prepare the meat for barbecuing all the way form the store through the kitchen onto peoples plate, empty roughly half a box of beer(which is 10 0.5l bottles) and then force everyone to watch MLP while un-ironically enjoying yourself.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
I put a vote for non-manly as I'm not handy, dislike sports, like walks and cooking, and generally don't fall into many of the manly stereotypes.

Mouse One

Jan 22, 2011
I dunno, from what I've seen, guys who worry about "manliness" rarely are-- unless you count manly as being a potbellied male with receding hair and a huge case of "The older I get, the better I was."

Blondi3

Sep 12, 2008
I flat out don't care. I don't see myself as anyone or anything other than what I am. Other than biologically being a man and my girlfriend calling me a real man, I just don't care.

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
I voted "other" because i consider myself manly, but i think both of those guys have their heads up their asses... Unless i'm misunderstanding the second guy. Actually, i think i may be. I'd like to change my vote to option number 2, if it means "i'm secure in my own masculinity, and if you think i'm not manly enough, you can go bugger yourself."

DMac the Knife

Mar 24, 2010
I have difficulty in understanding why this matters. My husband has all of the qualities I look for in a man. That is enough as far as I'm concerned.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
I do what I want and don't really give a shit about stuff.
Does that put me in the second or fourth option?

Reishadowen

Mar 18, 2011
Radoh said:
So today at work (I work at a hardware store) two men walk up to the counter in the middle of an argument. The burlier guy was saying that you need to follow the "Man's law" in order to be considered manly, otherwise there isn't any real qualifier for it.
The smaller guy retorted however, that in order to be Manly, you can't allow yourself to be restricted by anything, Man law or no. That to restrict yourself from anything is to be considered a sign of weakness.
They then dragged me into the debate as a third party, but since they both seemed very angry I thought it was best to not get involved, so I said nothing and pretended they hadn't said anything.
This did get me thinking on the subject however, and I'd like to know how the opinions break down.
So, manly men of The Escapist, what is your choice?
To be fair, if they asked me that question, I'd probably just stare at them like they were retards, and if I felt bold enough, ask them, "So...we have a code now? What are you, five?"

I don't really stay very close to guys who are worried about being considered "manly". It's about the equivalent of girls who shriek in horror at the idea of their dress not being in fashion as of a day ago. People who stress that much about their vanity are probably people you'd be better off not hanging around. There's taking pride in how you appear to others, then there is taking it too far.

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
Why be manly? Do you see in "Manly" billionaires around? No? Thoughts so. And I hope to one day see a time where I'm so filthy rich I can sit atop of jewel encrusted platinum thorn while wearing 100000$ suit smoking out of pipe made of gold and eating a rack of the best ribs around. Also top hats and monocles for everyone!

OT: Na, I'm not really manly. I chop wood and do physically labor and ride ATVs around, and shoot(Not that good of a shot though) and I do it fine I just some how make it look uncool. Anyways I rather people think of me as a nice person(Whos rich) not some weight lifting beard wearing beef jerky chew'n six shoot'n lady kill'n man. Also beer drink'n.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
What does Man Law say about hugging other guys? This is a curious issue. If hugging a (family) relative that you have not seen in a long time, two hands is appropriate. But if hugging anyone else, a hand shake with the other hand over their shoulder is more than enough.
Yea well, in Italy relatives and good friends also kiss on the cheek.. And they aren't less manly.