Poll: The TF2 Insult

La Barata

Apr 13, 2010
Hey, just starting this with a bit of a rant. I love TF2. It's one of my favourite games. Well, it WAS. Since September 30, 2010, The MannConomy update, TF2 has been on a slippery slope to complete ruin. Today, it's finally happened.
TF2 is dead.
First, it started with the items.
Being able to buy them.
The constant, neverending stream of crappy, pointless community items with only miniscule, barely noticeable stat changes.
More and more and more items, completely burying us under pointless community content.

The final straw came today.

The Uber update introduced free to play forever. Team Fortress 2 is now open to the public to play forever for free.

Now, every server is crammed with hundreds of people who, in all likelihood, have no interest whatsoever in the game. Most times, when you get a new player, they want to get better, want to get good at the game, want to actually do something with themselves. When a game is free to play, however, a time dreaded by most who already own it, this is when the absolute assclowns and griefers come out to play. They don't care about doing well or getting better, they didn't pay a cent, they just want to ruin it for everyone else. What do they care? They didn't pay for it.

The thing that I take offense to the most, though, is what they decided to offer those who already paid for the game.

We get a hat.
We ALL get a hat. The same hat.

This hat is just an insult. When other games have become free to play, they offered some sort of compensation to the people who actually paid the $20 for it. We get a hat. They're insulting us. They're waving their bloody item system, the start of all this crap, in our faces and taunting us for actually caring enough to pay for it.

(p.s. There ARE differences between free and paid for games. Paid for [you have to pay at least $1] get to wear hats. That's about it)

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I was calling for this months ago. It just didn't seem like it had any point being a paid game anymore if it could make more money through its store. The only reason to keep it from being free was to keep the community friendly, but that's assuming that Mr JohnyhardcoreCOD actually gives two shits about TF2 and wants to ruin it for us. I'll play it in a week after the one-timers are gone and see if the game actually went to shit. I really doubt it will.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
How is an influx of new players, regardless of intent, a bad thing? Isn't the point of a multiplayer game to have MULTIPLE PEOPLE playing?

It's been less than a day and I'm already frackin' sick of hearing people ***** about TF2 going free to play. These self-entitled twits are even going so far as to ***** about Valve giving them free stuff! For the love of God, grow up. Instead of bitching about it, either acknowledge the upsides (which far outweigh any cons), or go play something else. No one will miss your incessant whining. And, with the bevy of new players coming, our servers will be full and active.

Why not join the ranks of the COD "hardcore" players. Then you'll get your game that never changes over years of play. Hell, you won't even need to deal with the Mann Co. Store! 'Course, you'll have to spend $15 or more on a couple of extra maps, but that's okay. I mean, it's not like you can't just get them via an unlock or anything. Right?

[edit] To clarify, this isn't directed solely at the OP. I've been on a few servers this evening already and far too many people were whining about this latest update.

KILGAZOR

Magnificent Retard
Dec 27, 2010
Yep. TF2 is broken, has been for awhile; all game balance was destroyed when they started adding unlocks and random drops. Then again, it's not really that different from games like CoD and Battlefield who go through the same unlock bullshit that all shooters seem to go through. TF2 has it the worst, though, with random drops and the ridiculous length of the intervals between unlocks. For fuck's sake, game developers, competitive online shooters ARE NOT FUCKING MMOS. We don't play to grind for meaningless experience and a false sense of satisfaction. We play to challenge ourselves and to get action-packed thrills, not pointless click over and over until something flashes on your screen going "GOOD JOB, SHEEP".

Unlocks will be the downfall of the multiplayer shooter if this pattern isn't stopped. Mark my words.

EDIT: Now that I'm re-reading the thread and my own post, I realize what I wrote doesn't have a whole lot to do with the topic, which is TF2 becoming F2P. My response to that is that TF2 was broken before the F2P update, so it doesn't really matter.

arsenicCatnip

Jan 2, 2010
You are majorly overreacting to this.

It's F2P. How is this different from the free week/ends that Valve has been doing forever?

The MannConomy is what's sustaining TF2 more than anything right now, and they're doing a good job creating new weapons and miscellaneous items to fiddle around with. Random drops aren't affected, so people will still get fun toys.

The free accounts are severely limited, and if you're like me (and a lot of people are) you won't spend the money in the MannCo store to get a premium account (since they advertise it's only $1 but you have to load at least $5 into your Steam Wallet to get anywhere).

There are plenty of checks to keep out griefers and hostile players, and even if there weren't it's not like there are many of them anyway. They get policed by players, not just Valve.

In short, calm down. It's an influx of new players, and this is never entirely a bad thing.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Oh, give it a week. They won't stay. I heard that the TF2 servers where getting less traffic than normal anyways...

Quite frankly, I don't anyone who's owned the game for more than a month has any right to complain. $20 is a pretty good price to pay to play a game for a month before everyone else. You're getting upset over a hat... You've had the game for a pretty damn long time. I just got it today. I'm betting it was worth $20 to play it back in it's "glory days" that you say existed pre-Mannconomy.

Laurie Barnes

May 19, 2010
I chose go die in a fire. Not because I don't agree. You actually make several good points. Its just that the pyro is my fave class and I am hoping your sacrifice to the mighty flame will bring us closer to a "Meet the pyro" video.

ediblemitten

Mar 20, 2011
Custard_Angel said:
I liked TF2 but I never bought it.

Now I can play it for free.

I am pleased.
This. Always enjoyed it, but never actually bought it, so I'm downloading it right now.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Wait, this was a serious post? I thought it was a satirical comment on some aspect of MMOs that I was unaware of, lol!

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
As for the $20 thing, how is this any different from the numerous times it was offered for $2.50?

At any rate: Who cares, they finally released a new "Meet The." Now all that's left is the Pyro. I'm taking bets on what will come first: HL2E3/HL3 or "Meet the Pyro."

KarlMonster

Mar 10, 2009
La Barata said:
Most times, when you get a new player, they want to get better, want to get good at the game, want to actually do something with themselves. When a game is free to play, however, a time dreaded by most who already own it, this is when the absolute assclowns and griefers come out to play. They don't care about doing well or getting better, they didn't pay a cent, they just want to ruin it for everyone else. What do they care? They didn't pay for it.
First, you're projecting. The *real* players (like you maybe?) want to get better. The new players are all disruptive elements, merely taking advantage of the situation. All these assclowns do is watch for new F2P games so they can join your server and grief you?

Well, I won't lie to you. Servers are going to be busier now. And there's going to be a larger percentage of assclowns than before. But Frankly, the assclowns were always there, you just found a couple of servers that generally had 'your' kind of players on it, and you stuck to those servers. And if there were assclowns on those servers, they were your assclowns. Or you were used to them, or whatever.

F2P is a new thing, and VALVe are trying it. I don't honestly think that they need to, but its their business, and I don't run it. On the other hand, I play TF2 once in a great while, and I can't remember buying an Orange Box. Maybe I got it for free after some Steam event thing? But anyway...

A normal community involves the attrition of people leaving the community, and the influx of new people joining the community. If you really like to have a healthy community, a xenophobic attitude to newcomers will only empower the assclowns to behave badly - to stick it to those snarky elitist Orange Box owners. The very reason why communities like TF2 have group events [um, if they do?] is to promote a community identity, if not outright harmony. Can you accept assclown harmony?

See new names? Try welcoming them to your server. You can start the votekick after they start mic spamming.

Amalith

Mar 29, 2009
TF2 has been screaming Free to Play since the MannConomy update. I've barely played since then (honestly I was tiring of the game before then), and no longer care, but at least they have some reason to charge for their stupid shit. I used to log in and play for quite a bit after each new update, checking out the new stuff, but now there's no way to immediately access that content, nor any way to get anything without luck and just playing a lot to get random drops, so there's no real point to me.

As for the actual free to play though, I'm glad for them. I realize there will be more cheaters, more noobs, and possibly a "worse" community, but it will also bring in a bunch of new people who genuinely enjoy the game.

Janktrio

Oct 25, 2010
I think making Team Fortress 2 Free to Play was a great idea. Now I can get my friends to download it and play it without having to convince them it was worth the $20. Also we will get a lot more people involved in the TF2 community, which is good because it's always positive to have more people become a part of the community so that they can help influence it and change it (for better or for worse).

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
And people constantly groaning and whining about the crates and hats and the store and all the rest of their doom-singing and other "I'm superior" white noise don't have any negative impact on the game or its players whatsoever?

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I'm still utterly lost as to how OPTIONAL items that are buyable and don't really affect the gameplay are destroying the game, if you're interested, throw some cash at Valve, if not, enjoy the best FPS of the past decade for NO money.

If you've already owned it a while, enjoy the fun you've had out of it, as far as I can see, the only ONLY people with a vaguely legitimate complaint are those who bought the game in the last month, even then they've probably had $20 worth of fun out of it before it went free.

Yes there'll be a huge tidal wave of awful players and griefers and abusive players... who will get bored in a week or two, leaving us with a nice range of new blood playing the game.

Zoomy

Feb 7, 2008
I voted for the compensation option, then instantly regretted it? Why? Because I remembered that I bought the Orange Box a couple of weeks after release for £20 (GAME were having a sale that week), because I wanted Episode 2. So for me, TF2's always been kinda free. If you don't like the item drops, don't use them. Don't like hats? Don't wear them. It's simple really. Nearly every weapon can be obtained for free in gameplay, and hats are cosmetic differences. I've never bought anything and probably never will. We all know free-to-play is becoming the big thing in multiplayer, and it's good to see Valve take the lead and use a system whereby those that don't pay aren't negatively affected. Unlike CoD, where in order to get anything you've got to shell out crazy money.

And why the hate towards new players? Do you know what new players are? PLAYERS. Would you rather that every server was a barren wasteland, with so little numbers that eventually Valve just pull support altogether?

If you don't like the changes, just stop playing.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
I got it when it was randomly on sale for $10, and I got that much out of it by this point. I honestly don't even play it that much because I'm not that good.

You don't have to go on a long rant though, there might be some griefers jumping in to ruin your day for maybe a week, then they'll get bored and move to something else. I might even start playing the game again since the large influx of new people will put me on a somewhat even playing field instead of just getting owned every match.