Poll: The Trek or The War

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Conza said:
cut for length
Yes, yes, Picard is Ahab in First Contact, which is totally different. The themes of revenge and hatred are spelled out far more literally and directly to the character, which precludes one actually figuring it out for themselves, which is totally different. Oh, and the Spock-like character doesn't actually sacrifice himself, so that's totally different. Oh, and there's a happy ending, so Picard's crew doesn't have to deal with any drama that's not stated in expository dialogue like the actors were reading off the descriptors in the scripts.

That's different.

That being said, I'll take Quinto's laughable "Khaaaaan!" moment over anything done in TNG. At least it doesn't attempt to hide what it's knocking off. Hell, Spock even calls in Future Spock for some cheat codes.
Wow, so much, wrong. What you say in sarcasm is actually the cold hard truth.

Where to begin. Picard isn't Ahab, that reference to Moby Dick is used in the dialogue to "distinguish" Picard from Ahab. While Ahab's quest to kill Moby Dick lead to his demise, Picard saw reason and decided not to sacrifice him and his crew to kill the Borg, but instead only himself. Khan and Ahab? Maybe, that's actually closer than what you've said, although still not a great parallel. Khan does sacrifice his crew and ship in pursuit of Kirk.

But, where as Khan taking revenge on Kirk, is the main story of that film, it's why the events are happening, Picard's revenge against the Borg on the other hand (not to mention, flipped protagonist/antagonist), is a recurring sub-plot, and only vaguely a shared theme between the movies, it is not, what Star Trek: First Contact is about, nor why they're there, it's a personal issue Picard has to deal with throughout the film.

the "Spock-like" character, his name is Data by the way, doesn't sacrifice himself at all, he's captured and 'seemingly' reprogrammed by the Borg, he then turns against them without them knowing, and helps Picard rescue the Enterprise.

Comparing that to Spock repairing the engines, and being exposed to radiation is too far of a reach, the closest it gets is when Data hits the coolant pods and exposes his skin grafts to the vapours, but he's not in any real danger.

That last sentence in that first paragraph doesn't seem to contain a point, nor anything factual either, so I'll just say that they're brilliant actors, I don't see why would say otherwise...

Oh and last, but not least, anyone who thinks, anything, in Abrams Trek, could remotely, possibly, conceivable, even hold the tiniest of candles, to anything up to and including real Star Trek (ST:ENT finale), is totally delusional, and without and true appreciation of what good Star Trek is. I think debating anything further with you would be pointless.

I'm likely the greatest Trekoholic you could have the fortune of meeting on here at the Escapist almost certainly, I've studied all of Star Trek, and those latest two travesties of films, are not Star Trek.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Eh. They're both embarrassing schlock. Star Wars at least seems aware that it's embarrassing schlock, and embraced it to good effect for a couple of films. Alas, it later became unwatchable garbage, which is a step too far.

Trek has always had this veneer of serious-minded, furrowed brow sincerity, which was always hard to take, since it was very evidently embarrassing schlock. The newer films seem more aware of what Trek actually is and treat it accordingly, but they both have pacing issues. And lens flare issues.

I dunno. Wars by a nose overall for playing to its strengths more effectively. As far as their modern incarnations go, Trek by a mile, but the new Wars movies should remedy that.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Overall, Star Wars. Because I find it less fantastical(no, I'm not kidding, I find the Force far easier to stomach than some of the bizarre shit from Star Trek, especially OS). I'm also biased in that I include the EU books in this, which is where most of my Star Wars love comes from.

Though if we're speaking strictly new stuff, then Star Trek.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
I like Star Wars books, video games, toys, etc... but I really only see the movies as ok. All the interesting stuff was left out. Don't get me wrong, the family clash twist is awesome, but thats it. I need more... solidity.

Star Trek on the other hand aside from a few glaring continuity issues is a far thicker universe. They just arn't aliens from a planet. They are a libertarian race on a rainy cold world and see other races who don't share their views to be barbaric and immoral. There is substance to the world, a depth below the surface. That is why I like Star Trek better. It just feels more real.