Poll: The Trek or The War

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
this is pretty basic: if you were forced to pick one or the other which one would you choose? Star Wars or Star Trek? I am aware that htere are other sci fi series out there, but I stuck to these two as they seem to be the ones usually compared.

For me? Jedi and lightsaber's all the way. There is only so much awesome that jean luc's bald head can provide.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Isn't Abrams going to do the next lot of Star Wars movies?

Anyway, I'd have said Star Trek, especially after the prequels.

Star Wars had a much bigger mainstream effect on our culture, but then ruined it by grinding the franchise along to death.

Star Trek, however, tried for more substance, dealing with some real issues and ideas, but then seemed determined to ruin it by grinding the franchise along to death, but have been less successful in that than Lucas was with Star Wars.

BunnyKillBot

Fragged by Bunny
Oct 23, 2010
If we are ignoring the caveat that one is a television serial and the other film(also ignoring books/extended universe material :p), which are very different and distinct mediums, I elect Star Wars because there is more depth to the potential character perspective of the source material. Star Trek is anally fixated with the exploits and interests of a single, monolithic space exploration enterprise - i.e. USA politics in space.

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
Wars.
I'd agree with all the usual arguments that Trek is actual Sci-fi and Wars is only Space Opera, I'd even concede that Trek is probably a lot more interesting and thought provoking on average.
But I'm a lot more invested in Star Wars because I loved it as a kid, so for nostalgia's sake I'd still choose it.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I've never understood why people always have to pick one or the other, really. I've never understood this rivalry of sorts between people who like Star Trek and people who like Star Wars; They provide different aspects of science-fiction, so why can't we enjoy both?

Anyway, despite the fact that Star Wars has survived much better in the video game space (at least until Lucasarts decided to destroy that, too), I'd probably have to pick Star Trek if I were forced to choose at gunpoint. It's just more interesting to me, and I've always found it fascinating how post-Next Generation, all of the major and some of the minor alien races tended to embody specific aspects of modern human culture.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Star Trek.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't like Star Wars. I've seen all the movies a dozen times each and can quote them alongside the next person... but I don't like them. They've always been there while I grew up, still, can't stand the characters or the writing and for some reason I think George Lucas needs a good face-punch whenever I see him.

I grew up on both, but sitting down to watch TNG with my mom every week, and then almost nightly when it went into syndication, were great times. Love me some Picard.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Trek all the way.

I love the original Star Wars (oh alright, I'll call it A New Hope if you really insist...) but other than that the film series does little for me.

Trek I can revisit, particularly the best of TOS and TNG and much of DS9. I can watch these as an adult and enjoy them as entertainment, and also sometimes as thought provoking drama. By contrast the Star Wars series just feels juvenile, poorly written and extremely shallow. Fun in the right mood, but there's no substance to it.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
I enjoy both, but I prefer Star Wars (well, the original trilogy at least and some select parts of the expanded universe). It's just more basic fun. Star Trek has some amazing episodes in every series, and is often very clever as well, but a large part is: encounter anomaly/culture > ??? > employ technobabble. And Star Trek is often such a weird mix of hard and soft sci-fi that it gets confusing. If things like transporters and replicators didn't exist, for example, I would like it more.

With Star Wars, I can just forget about the sci-fi part and enjoy the fantasy. Star Wars is a very simple story but it's so well done that I can't help but love it. Maybe nostalgia speaking on behalf of Star Wars, when I was recently rewatching TNG, it just didn't hold as well as I thought it would.

And the prequels can die in a fire.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Star Trek - excluding J.J. Abrams' films - has the more interesting and profound moments. I could watch an episode from TNG right now and learn something new. Star Wars is really just a laser light show.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Star Trek, everytime.

Actually watching TOS right now with the boyfriend funnily enough...

I've watched Star Trek since I was a little girl. I got well excited when the title sequence came on, my dad used to pull me onto his lap and pretend I was the captain, using his arms as some arm rests and tilting me left to right. Then when the Enterprise would zoom off he'd go 'da da da daaaaa!' and lift me in the air and put me on his shoulders.
Its the only good memory I have of him so it's special to me.

I didn't even see Wars until a few years ago, and the movies are okay. I really like the games.

But yeah, Trek is much better imo ^.^ very forward for it's time too.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Despite I having watching a few Trek series, I would go with Wars despite their universe it "messy" to say the least.

I guess I prefer fantasty space over scientific/ logical space.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
Star Wars.

I love sci-fi but I cannot stand Trek, I've tried to watch the original one, Next Generation and Voyager. It's just absolute dross, I'd rather watch the prequel Star Wars trilogy for the rest of my life than one more episode of Trek (and I hate those films).

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
Sorry, but no, I'm not picking between the two.

I like both, I like them for different reasons, and in both cases there are significant examples I do not like. Comparing the two directly is very difficult, you might as well ask me to pick between the fantasy and scifi genres.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
I dunno; Star Wars has basically turned into a massive clusterfuck (I thought Darth Vader was the epitome of cool until I learned he was a whiny man-***** with abandonment issues who's nickname was 'Annie'. Oh and he also designed and built R2-D2 and C-3PO), and Star Trek has started focusing more on explosions than exploring.

LrgLives

May 14, 2013
These days I find it really hard to split the two in terms of my personal favorite, but I voted for Star Wars since it was my first love. Also lightsabers.

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
Reed Spacer said:
I dunno; Star Wars has basically turned into a massive clusterfuck (I thought Darth Vader was the epitome of cool until I learned he was a whiny man-***** with abandonment issues who's nickname was 'Annie'. Oh and he also designed and built R2-D2 and C-3PO), and Star Trek has started focusing more on explosions than exploring.
Yeah, I find my enjoyment of Star Wars remains much higher if I think of SW I-III as non canon. The fact that all three deviate hugely from the original story helps with that. It is a really sad state of affairs when an IP's official owner does a much worse job of keeping to the lore than most fan fiction authors.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
We need an option for Neither.

Neither Abrams Trek nor Disneywars interest me at all. I'm just not that much into lens flares.

If you're going for when they were still good... Star Trek, but only because there's more of it. Star Wars has just three movies, Star Trek has at least four good movies and two-and-a-half great TV series.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I'm not sure I'm understanding the choice here... choose one to... watch, read, play, be a fan of? I suppose I prefer the books and games of the Star Wars universe... but I prefer the movies and TV shows of the Star Trek universe. So... it depends?

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I've tried numerous times to get into Trek, but I just remember being a kid and it would be on TV and I would just be insanely bored and that feeling never left me. Heck I remember in highschool we had an ethics teacher who was a huge Trek fan and he'd try to convey points to us from Trek episodes. Even though we had to write a short thing on how the episode related to a recent topic I just couldn't get myself to pay attention.