Poll: The Trek or The War

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
I just hate Star Trek. Star Wars is straight up science fantasy whereas Star Trek in my experience has many instances of science fantasy pretentiously passed off as science fiction. Additionally I just find Star Trek's aesthetics painfully mundane.

Julius Terrell

Feb 27, 2013
Since I like "Hard" sci-fi. Star trek wins hands down. I liked watching Star Wars when I just want to watch a movie. Star trek just walks all over Star Wars in terms of content and character development. I just hate that most of Star trek aired before the advent of HDTV.

I just love how grounded star trek feels. Deals with real issues and gets people's wheels turning. People always ask about the future and about technology. This show kind of gives us a look at what the future could be like.

I will say that I don't like the new trek films. They don't feel like movies for trekkies. Just movies for people that want an action flick. That isn't what star trek is about. It's about exploring the universe, not just shooting things with a photon torpedo.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Nope. Apples and oranges. Sci-Fi VS Fantasy Space Opera. One mostly revolves around TV series, the other is focused on Movies. The two franchises are vastly removed from each other in tone, theme and format. The only thing they have in common is SPAAAAAAACE, but that's hardly enough. I never understood the whole Trekkies VS Star Wars fans thing, it makes about as much sense as Coin Collectors VS Buffy the Vampire Slayer fanfic writers...

Therefore, Farscape. :)

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
rhizhim said:
chinangel said:
this is pretty basic: if you were forced to pick one or the other which one would you choose? Star Wars or Star Trek? I am aware that htere are other sci fi series out there, but I stuck to these two as they seem to be the ones usually compared.

For me? Jedi and lightsaber's all the way. There is only so much awesome that jean luc's bald head can provide.
except holodecks where you can emulate being a jedi, you can take a mobile emitter to be able to take holograms with you outside the holodeck and you can disable the security protocols so your hologram of a weapon is almost indistinguishable from a real weapon in function...

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070613213327/memoryalpha/en/images/a/ae/Tommygun-picard.jpg

still want to pick up star wars?
The overwhelming number of star wars games and books and movies in my possession say 'yes'.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
I always preferred Trek. I spent so many weekday evenings eating dinner in front of the telly as it was on. Man, at some point I'm going to have to re-watch TNG and DS9 - but it's one hell of a time investment when there's plenty of other stuff I want to watch. Problems, problems.

Gor Kur

Jul 22, 2013
The die the lame the rehashed the pointless the argument. The go the find the something the from the this the century.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
The Gate.

SG1 was a fantastic series, especially such gems as "Unending"

Also, when the two main characters from Farscape joined playing basically the same characters it was like two of my most favourite series had combined.

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
Hero in a half shell said:
The Gate.

SG1 was a fantastic series, especially such gems as "Unending"

Also, when the two main characters from Farscape joined playing basically the same characters it was like two of my most favourite series had combined.
Damn you for remending me that stargate was cancelled again plus farscape is awesome But between trek and starwars I turn to my book case and see all the starwars books I own and say starwars star trek never captured me Starwars did I feel inlove with the world and the lore

Madman123456

Feb 11, 2011
If forced to chose between trek and wars, i'd find what happens if i refuse.
Both franchises where good once, a long time ago, in this galaxy.

But at this point i don't except anything good to come out of those franchises anymore.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Madman123456 said:
If forced to chose between trek and wars, i'd find what happens if i refuse.
Both franchises where good once, a long time ago, in this galaxy.

But at this point i don't except anything good to come out of those franchises anymore.
Your post made me realize that I not only haven't seen anything good out of Trek or Wars for a long long time, but also sci-fi in general. Can't stand any of the latest space-action tripe including Battlestar Galactica, Firefly (was that even sci-fi?), Nu-Who or any Stargate incarnation.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
I don't much care for Star Wars. I have always been a trekkie.

Star Wars is a fun fantasy-movie, but I prefer my fantasy-movies with magic and dragons.

Talaris

Sep 6, 2010
Always been Star Wars for me, I guess it was the excitement at seeing it in the cinema when I was only 6 (I was a good age for the 1997 re-release). Since then I have a huge collection of games and novels, so I'm well versed in the EU.

Still I have seen Star Trek TOS, and all 12 films, I suppose I just don't care as much about the lore.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
They feel like almost opposites of each other really.

Wars - mostly Movies
Trek - mostly TV
Wars - rebels are the good guys, government bad
Trek - Part of the established army
Wars - Close quarters melee battles
Trek - Long range fights either from guns or ships

So yeah...feels weird to decide between things so different from each other, really the only thing they have in common is Stars. But if I had to choose it would be Trek, they have the advantage of more material/content since they have multiple seasons per series vs a handful of movies, and to be frank some of those movies were really bad. Not that Trek doesn't have it's fair share of crap too, but least that stuff is easily forgettable compared to Wars whose crap stands out like a big ugly dark spot on a white shirt.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I miss the days when "No versus threads" was stated early on and the lock came down fast...

Anyway, seeing as we made it to 3 pages... Tie. I love both equally.

[sub]So much discussion.[/sub]

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
Redlin5 said:
I miss the days when "No versus threads" was stated early on and the lock came down fast...

Anyway, seeing as we made it to 3 pages... Tie. I love both equally.

[sub]So much discussion.[/sub]
This really isn't a versus thread...at least not in my eyes. It's a genuine curiosity, as I'm interested to see what people like about one or the other.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
While I do like both, I gotta admit that I love Star Wars far more.

I really prefer the universe. Jedi, planets that are covered in cities, planet busting space stations, and so much more. It just seems that there are more stories to be told in the Star Wars universe. Coupled with firefights and lightsaber battles, there's plenty of action to be had.

I can enjoy Star Trek, but Star Wars is my preference.