Poll: The Warrior, the Wizard and the Thief

shimyia

Oct 1, 2010
i always tend to aim for a Battle-Mage (aka Warrior-Mage) build...
but it sucks that most RPGs dont support that... esspecially the MMOs; the only one actually respecting my choice of builds is WoW by having the Shaman class but lately even that is going towards the generic Wizard bullshit :(

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
The mighty warrior, that does not fear death, but sees it as a challenge. That will, through careful application of tactics, skill and brute strength, conquer all his foes. And as he stands over their slain bodies, drenched in the blood of his enemies, all will know he is mighty.

If he can set fire to his enemies, by way of magic or lighter, that's a bonus.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
Thief for me. Most of my RPG characters are rogue types. I tend to make monk-type characters too, but my monks are usually the more dexterous ones rather than strength based.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Battlemage, of course. Preferably one I can train to pick locks. Not pockets, usually. Just locks. But, if I can't do that, then mage, usually, with a secondary role filled by thieves, so that I can pick those locks.

Inuprince

Aug 12, 2008
I thought this was going to be about Trine 2.

Oh well, Warrior/wizard for me, but in dungeons I like to go stealthy style, and use just the bows and arrows Thief style.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
I try to always be the Jack-of-all-trades and i always get away with it if its an option. But when it comes down to it, all bare-bones, i usually will flesh out as a mostly melee warrior

SailorShale

Apr 3, 2010
I play the sneaky thief types. Warriors tend to be boring to play, and wizards are usually too squishy for my tastes (when they start out anyway). Plus I can't help but steal everything in sight.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Thief. Though it depends on the setting/game. Also, if we're using WoW terms for Druid - ie. shapeshifter, count me in on that too.

I love stealth more than anything else, but I also like to be a tank if we're talking group engagements (mostly MMOs). Kinda why I play a Sith Inquisitor Assassin in TOR. Stealth and tank all in one. Yummeh.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
I like having stealth and magic. If you can't 1HK them with an arrow, blow the hell out of them with a fireball. Or a big sword and magic. That's fun too. Usually, it's combat or stealth with magic as a secondary, but magic is always there.

The reason why I like Orcs Must Die so much is that I have a crossbow, big sword, and magic stuff (not to mention the traps). All three at once is godly.

The_Blue_Rider said:
Me warrior, me strongest there is
No! Me, Grimlock, am strongest there is!

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I always end up stealthy and with a ranged weapon, which is weird really because when I was little I always used to prefer magic in things. I think my tastes are changing as I get older since I seem to prefer the Fallout universe over TES now.

However, anything with DnD rules or multiplayer I like playing as a magic class or cleric.

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
Tabletop: usually DM/Storyteller so not really applicable unfortunately.

Single-Player Computer RPG: usually stealthy sneaky/scouty type.

MUMMORPURGER: Warrior. Stealthy types in MUMMORPURGERS give me the shits, and frankly - as I have a wife and family - I don't have time to screw around whilst some invisi-berk one shots me from the shadows every time I try to go on a quest / get my melee on with someone.

Eventidal

Nov 11, 2009
Thief, for sure. I'm a scrawny little sack of beans. I'd die if a big monster so much as LOOKED at me the wrong way. The only way I could get in the damage to actually harm something is to catch it completely offguard. I've been known to completely disappear when I'm just casually walking with friends. I switch from their right to their left side as we pass by an obstacle or something and they never notice I've moved until they look and nobody's there. I move around almost silently without trying. I love being sneaky and fast so thief is my way.

Though I might be specifically more of a rogue or something. "Thief" implies stealing, which is totally against what I stand for. I have the heart of a noble, daring Paladin, Warrior of Light and Defender of All that is Holy, but the body of a... well, young adult who doesn't care about working out or eating right but happens to have a metabolism that's just barely keeping up for now. But ideally, dashing, cunning, sneaky little scamp.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
Double A said:
I like having stealth and magic. If you can't 1HK them with an arrow, blow the hell out of them with a fireball. Or a big sword and magic. That's fun too. Usually, it's combat or stealth with magic as a secondary, but magic is always there.

The reason why I like Orcs Must Die so much is that I have a crossbow, big sword, and magic stuff (not to mention the traps). All three at once is godly.

The_Blue_Rider said:
Ahahaha puny mage think he match for me, I crush you under thumb like leaf crush ant

Ventilator89

Jun 25, 2011
I actually find this a really hard question to answer.
I thought immediately, 'Thief of course! Yet it does not feel right.
Really depends on what game I am playing... in games like DA:O and Skyrim I'll be a thief, yet in games like Never Winter Nights (the original one) I'll be probably be a druid/shapeshifter or some other sort of mage, or an archer (Im counting archer as a thief character). Fighter and Rogue I find dull in that sort of game.
All in all, I like to be a thiefy assassin ( as well as duel wielding) dude with interesting wizard-like powers that are quite possibly related to nature. So pretty much wizard-thief.

Steagony

Nov 20, 2009
Eventidal said:
Though I might be specifically more of a rogue or something. "Thief" implies stealing, which is totally against what I stand for.
It's just a umbrella term of yesteryear. Think of it as how not all comic books today are comical, yet the term still persists.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
The_Blue_Rider said:
Double A said:

The_Blue_Rider said:
Ahahaha puny mage think he match for me, I crush you under thumb like leaf crush ant
Crush this, squishy human.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
Double A said:
The_Blue_Rider said:
Double A said:

The_Blue_Rider said:
Crush this, squishy human.

Bring it on

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
Generally thiefy characters are my favourite. In games such as Skyrim my most fun playthrough has been with my thief/assassin. Saying that, in Guild Wars my favourite character was either my Dervish (attacked with a scythe) or my Ranger.