Poll: There are only 2 genders....right?

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
In terms of sexual reproduction on the genetic level, there are two sexes.

In terms of everything else, the very idea of numbering the genders is ridiculous. It is like trying to enumerate every color. Gender is a continuum, not a set of distinct entities. What is more, gender is a continuum on multiple axis (physical, mental, societal, etc) which complicates the issue to an incredible degree.

Now, that does not mean there is no point in discussing the differences between certain points on that continuum, and there is certainly value in naming and recognizing significant points on the continuum, but we need to get rid of the idea that people will neatly fall into categories like "man" and "woman". And the idea that those are the only two possibilities is even more ridiculous, even from a biological perspective.

WickedBuddha said:
Politrukk said:
BUT WAIT

You were born a man, but you feel like a woman.
What does that make you then?

Well if you have a sexchange.
That makes you a woman.
Actually they are still a man. They just have had surgery to look like a woman. But they are still a man.
Why? I mean, what we are talking about here is what makes a man a man. What are your criteria?

What if a man could have perfect male to female surgery, including changes on a genetic level, to become female. Would they still be a man who just changed to look like a man?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
TwistednMean said:
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
TwistednMean said:
Gender is defined by biological sex. If it wasn't than transgender people wouldn't be a thing. They simply wouldn't care about their genetalia at all.

So, I reckon, feeling like a man in a woman's body or vice versa is reasonable, albeit being an exceedingly rare condition. But self-identifying as third gender or attack helicopter doesn't make other genders exist other than in this one's own head.
You do understand that binary gender identity is a western thing, and gender roles are really a western world thing. Many cultures have varied different gender types 3, 4, 5 and more for some. Anthropologically speaking gender roles exist as social imperatives for the structure and support of human clans/tribes/whatever other primitive society.
Citation needed

Seriously, you cannot just claim such ridiculous things and give no source. I have studies plenty of ancient cultures and I have never heard of anything like that.
What, really? The existence of more than 2 genders outside the West is fairly well known.

Hell, Lil devils X pointed this out and gave sources for this in the 17th post in this very thread.

inmunitas

Feb 23, 2015
cthulhuspawn82 said:
I disagree, there are no genders. There are two sexes, those really exist. Gender is just a mental abstraction based on observing similar behaviors, it has not real substance or existence. Gender and sex have no real relation, so declaring yourself to be of a certain gender doesn't mean you get to be a different sex. I.E. declaring yourself to be a female(gender) doesn't mean you get to be a woman(sex).
I would agree. The Humans are split into two sexes that naturally fulfilled complementary roles with each other, whether that continues to be the case in the future has yet to be seen.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Biologically, there are two genders. Then I'm sure there's plenty of other genders you could identify as if it so pleases you. Either way, as long as you're not the type of asshat that gets offended because I didn't refer to you as 'zhi' instead of 'he', I don't care.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
There certainly aren't '64' genders. That's picking numbers out of thin air on some thin arbitrary justifications.

OK, first we have to address the whole sex/gender thing.

What I mean to say is there aren't 64 sexes.

There aren't two either. The most accurate description would be there are approximately two sexes.

That sounds like splitting hairs, but it's not, it's just a reflection of the true nature of biological reality, rather than the simplified approximation we like to work with most of the time.

No given person matches the ideal of a particular sex. Rather, they match it within a certain degree of tolerance.
Some people, a handful, are ambiguous and cannot meaningfully ascribed a sex, because any category you choose is going to be wrong.

But what does it mean anyway? People these days like to think there's a nice, clear, concrete definition of what makes you a particular biological sex, but there simply isn't.
And even if there was, it's not likely to be one anyone actually uses in practice.

It especially isn't genetics.

You know what it is? It's the penis.

That's all. It's how it's been defined for so long, we take it for granted. And yes, we know new things, such as genetics.
But we aren't exactly performing genetic tests when we write 'M' or 'F' on a birth certificate...
No, we are just going on the medical opinion of a doctor or maybe a midwife, or someone, who will take a quick look at what an infant has between it's legs, and dictate a huge number of things about it's future based on a simple observation.

Simply put, if there's something there that looks like a penis, it's male. Otherwise, it's female.
Even if there's ambiguity, or extra stuff going on, it is still principally decided by the presence and approximate size of a penis-like appendage...
Any other aspect of biology or reproductive capability or stuff like that rarely gets a lookin.
I already laugh at people that argue from genetics just on principle, but this reality really rubs it in.

Still, the unfortunate implication of the logic behind this is that we classify people as male/not-male.
And, that the sole classification of being male, is having a penis, and female actually is mostly just relegated to the label for 'other'.

And indeed, though people are rarely quite that simple-minded, think about how many subtle hints most cultures seem to posses that reinforce the idea that if you lose your penis you aren't a man anymore, regardless of anything else.
Although, this seems to get tossed out pretty quickly if you bring in the idea of someone trying to get rid of it deliberately in order to be regarded as female, but then it really isn't quite that simple of course...
And, even regarding the idea of losing your penis making you stop being male, it doesn't quite reach to the levels of what the male/female classification then would imply. Though it is the underlying logical basis for how we classify male and female, we haven't quite decided to truly treat female as 'other' in the way the means of classification imply.
Which makes sense too, because edge cases aside, there's no reason to consider that a category that excludes males would contain anything other than people who have the identifiable biological features we associate with females.

The rarity of the edge cases means it ordinarily doesn't matter that the practical tool used to decide what someone is does in fact classify people as 'male' or 'not-male', rather than actually bothering to actively try and identify 'female' as well as looking for the one thing considered to define being 'male'...

Still, it's awkward to consider what the actual implications of how we typically decide this actually are.

As for gender, well, assuming we take the definition of it being a social construct (some people try and argue against that definition of the word for some reason), it becomes even more meaningless to ascribe a specific number to it.
Since it contains so many completely arbitrary elements, you could argue there are 2, 3, 64, 500, 5 million, or whatever different genders, and be able to make a viable, fairly reasonable case for it being true.
But just as most of the elements defining these genders would be entirely arbitrary, it follows that so would the exact number anyone might claim to exist.
It's just, kind of meaningless arguing about how many genders there are, because there's not really anything that is objectively meaningful that you can say to prove any given number correct.

Durendal5150

Jan 19, 2014
bartholen said:
I see where you're coming from, but I'd rather not reinforce their sense of self-entitlement. And besides, don't you usually use third person pronouns when the person in question is not present, or at least in instant hearing vicinity? In that case, what harm has been done if they haven't heard you referring to them with an undesired pronoun? Failing that, you could just refer to them by their name, or use "they". I don't like the idea of having to put people up on special pedestals and having to specifically refer to them by their desired pronoun just because they ask me to. I'm not trans, nor do I know one, but observing it from just a person perspective, that kind of request makes the asker seem insecure IMO.
I get where you're coming from about not having to do something just because your asked but, if someone politely asks you to do something to make them feel a little better, what is the point in not doing it? Unless it's like, stomping kittens for their amusement? I have my own issues with pronoun politics, but if a friend asks me tor refer to them as X, (and people I know do prefer singular they) then I'll do that for my friend. Or anyone else, it's just being polite. If a theist says "god bless you," I say "thank you." I don't believe in it, it's not my bag, but I'm not going to be an asshat about it. Same deal.

As for making the asker seem insecure...well they probably are. Western society is geared towards making people insecure about this very topic. Possibly due to the alienation and death threats. As far as I'm concerned, gender and sexuality are non-issues. They have so little bearing on a persons identity that I could care absolutely less. But so long as a segment of society is going to latch onto that small facet of someone's identity and attack them for it, well, we have a goddam problem don't we?

bartholen said:
Not that the matter bothers me for shit, I live in a country in whose language pronouns are always gender neutral.
I honestly see this as the best solution to the problem. I am wholeheartedly opposed to the movement that wants to create a million new terms for everything for people to identify with. I understand why they want to do it, but I generally disagree that labels help a anyone in the long run

bartholen said:
OT: I'm of the camp that thinks there are only 2 genders (or sex for you language police officers), 2.5 if you want to include transgendered people. No matter what, there can, and always will be, only two kinds of things you can find in between a person's legs. Sometimes you can find both. Sometimes someone has switched from one side to the other. The day we find a wriggling mass of tentacles between a newborn's legs I'm willing to reevaluate my stance. Provided I can get past the celebrating Japanese people, if you know what I mean.
Well, it's not a matter of language policing if you're literally using the language wrong. Yes, there are only two human sexes, and combinations and absences of those two. Gender though is complicated because it's essentially a spectrum, and I think this is where a lot of the problems come in. The way I see it if it helps, isn't that there are two, or three, or eight or sixty-four genders. There's either one or zero. We accept that it's a social construct, or there's just one: Human. If it helps people reference the expression of their humanity by saying they feel more like one biological sex or the other. (and as RCS619 above pointed out, this is rarely a personal choice, but a matter of brain chemistry,) then fine and good for them.

What I think we're all really hung up on is the language, and understandably. Words carry a lot of baggage, but it's important to recall that language serves the speakers, not the other way around. If we've got to change some definitions well, this shouldn't be a huge problem.

I remain personally opposed to doing so too much, or coming up with lots of new terms for all of this stuff, just because to label a thing is to automatically other it, and as a general humanist, that makes me uneasy.

This has been a long and rambling post because it is difficult to get my thoughts in order. Apologies if it's not coherent.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
TwistednMean said:
TwistednMean said:
Gender is defined by biological sex. If it wasn't than transgender people wouldn't be a thing. They simply wouldn't care about their genetalia at all.

So, I reckon, feeling like a man in a woman's body or vice versa is reasonable, albeit being an exceedingly rare condition. But self-identifying as third gender or attack helicopter doesn't make other genders exist other than in this one's own head.
You do understand that binary gender identity is a western thing, and gender roles are really a western world thing. Many cultures have varied different gender types 3, 4, 5 and more for some. Anthropologically speaking gender roles exist as social imperatives for the structure and support of human clans/tribes/whatever other primitive society.
Citation needed

Seriously, you cannot just claim such ridiculous things and give no source. I have studies plenty of ancient cultures and I have never heard of anything like that.
God there are too many sources to list.
But here is a basic one to start with:http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/two-spirits/map.html

That was linked in this very thread already by the way. There are tons of books and studies that contain scientific proof of your standpoint being the ridiculous one.

TwistednMean said:
DrownedAmmet said:
TwistednMean said:
So you think saying "I don't really feel like a man or a woman, I am a different gender."
Is the same as saying "I am a helicopter! WHIIIIIIIRRRRRRRR PEW PEW PEW!! BLAM, BLAM, BLAM, KAPOW!!!"
You are correct, my good man. Or woman. Or other-gendered human being. Or attack helicopter.
That's a bit of a stretch because genderfluid, genderqueer, agender, third gender, bi-gender, and more do exist and are recognized. It falls under the catagory of transgender topics, so looking here is a good place to start. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgender]

There now you have some citations, and if you want more search for them they're not hard to find.

AgedGrunt

Dec 7, 2011
Silentpony said:
Yes, from what I understand, on a genetic chromosome level, there are two sexes. And I think the occasional genetic in-between, but overall there are two sexes.

Gender is different though. That's masculine/feminine rather than male/female.
If we distinguish gender from sex, I think the term gender was changed to replace what are known as traits.

Masculinity and femininity = hobbies, emotions, clothing, hair styles, high voices, etc. If "gender" isn't being used to reference biology, then it's referencing the image a person projects, in the context of what society says maleness and femaleness looks like.

Technically, society can change its perceptions (and it has before) and move the spectrum. The wristwatch originally looked a lot like women's jewelry and men didn't go for it. Pink wasn't always the symbol of womanhood. Long ago, guys wore high heels for horseback riding.

So when people want a liberal interpretation of gender and go into these crises of identity, I think a lot of that is more that some people reject being told what their image should be based on society's standards. That's sensible to me. Changing sex, choosing to live as the sex you are not, is completely different.

TwistednMean

Nov 23, 2010
TwistednMean said:
Citation needed

God there are too many sources to list.
But here is a basic one to start with:http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/two-spirits/map.html

That was linked in this very thread already by the way. There are tons of books and studies that contain scientific proof of your standpoint being the ridiculous one.
Really? Religious sects that practice castration and mastectomy, all-female regiments (I would love to see those in a fight, by the way) and a tradition for raising boys as girls are your third-gender examples?

There is no third gender mentioned there anywhere. It's always male or female or none at all, achieved through mutilation. This stuff is certifiably insane. Except for dressing boys as girls, that has been an approved pastime for millennia, but it does not mean that they become a third gender.

TwistednMean said:
DrownedAmmet said:
TwistednMean said:
But self-identifying as third gender or attack helicopter doesn't make other genders exist other than in this one's own head.
So you think saying "I don't really feel like a man or a woman, I am a different gender."
Is the same as saying "I am a helicopter! WHIIIIIIIRRRRRRRR PEW PEW PEW!! BLAM, BLAM, BLAM, KAPOW!!!"
You are correct, my good man. Or woman. Or other-gendered human being. Or attack helicopter.
That's a bit of a stretch because genderfluid, genderqueer, agender, third gender, bi-gender, and more do exist and are recognized. It falls under the catagory of transgender topics, so looking here is a good place to start. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgender]

There now you have some citations, and if you want more search for them they're not hard to find.
Let me be clear. I have yet to encounter any reliable sources or scientific explanatiom for all those gender variations. And until I do I respectfully decline the invitation to join your hallucination. You, of course, are free to identify yourself and other people what you feel like, but I am not going to aknowledge people's fancies to be facts.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
TwistednMean said:
So once again you're going to dismiss anything you disagree with because of reasons. Even when places like the WHO disagree with you. [http://www.who.int/gender/whatisgender/en/] Even if the WHO uses some pretty dumb examples and totally ignores trans people in that. Fine, sure, that's your right. Insulting me for it on the other hand by insinuating that I'm having hallucinations is a pure load. If every medical professional I've ever met can agree that being trans, and any/all of it's sub categories is actually a provable thing about gender variation and how gender identity is separate from biological sex. Yeah there isn't enough scientific proof and no reliable sources.

I've said this before and I'm saying it again. You can not agree with my stance, you're free to think what ever you want, but it's crossing the line when you make it a problem for someone else. Why? Because it's extremely rude.

captcha: dog days
Jeez captcha, you're telling me?

TwistednMean

Nov 23, 2010
So once again you're going to dismiss anything you disagree with because of reasons.
Yes. Those reasons being the utter lack of any scientific evidence supporting your case and you using completely irrelevant historical anecdotes about gender curiosities as proof of existence of a third (or, possibly, more) genders. You are illogical and your narrative is artificially constructed. Need I explain further why I dismiss it?

Even when places like the WHO disagree with you. [http://www.who.int/gender/whatisgender/en/] Even if the WHO uses some pretty dumb examples and totally ignores trans people in that.
WHO does not cite any sources to back up their claims. Which is convenient when there are none, right?

But hey! Look what else this particular article has to say!
In the United States (and most other countries), women earn significantly less money than men for similar work
I knew it! It is the Patriarchy at work again isn't it? Oh, wait, that claim is just pure lie with a pinch of weasel wording. WHO doesn't seem like a reliable source of information all of a sudden...

Fine, sure, that's your right. Insulting me for it on the other hand by insinuating that I'm having hallucinations is a pure load. If every medical professional I've ever met can agree that being trans, and any/all of it's sub categories is actually a provable thing about gender variation and how gender identity is separate from biological sex. Yeah there isn't enough scientific proof and no reliable sources.

I've said this before and I'm saying it again. You can not agree with my stance, you're free to think what ever you want, but it's crossing the line when you make it a problem for someone else. Why? Because it's extremely rude.
Wow, you sure looked long and hard for something to get insulted about. Anyways, it was never my intention to imply that you lack psychological health. You, in my opinion, choose to delude yourself into believing something exists when it does not. And since you belong to a group of similar minded individuals, you delude yourselves together. It is called group think.

While it is not a medical condition by any definition of the term it is certainly dangerous and it is a problem, because it strips you of the capacity for critical thinking and produces an unquestionable dogma into which you try to indoctrinate other people. It's like a cult, albeit a nonreligious one.

If the thought makes you feel uncomfortable, maybe you should reevaluate your beliefs from their very core. Then you can conclude whether I am right or merely a random transmisogynist troll. But merely getting offended will get you nowhere.

Eliam_Dar

Nov 25, 2009
Biologically, only two, and I am sorry for those who think otherwise, but this cannot be changed. There is no surgery that will change that, no amount of hormones, or treatment.
This is the main reason I reject the idea that gender binary is a social construct. It is not.
Having said that, if you are a man that feels like a woman, and desires to be addressed in that manner, I don't have any problem, and I will do that. In fact, I don't really mind to use any personal pronoum, and acknowledge any gender identity anyone desires (but don't expect from me to know at first sight).
Marry whoever you like, love anyone you want, as long as you are consenting adults go ahead.
I am a happily married straight man, and I don't see any reason mess in other people's lives.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
TwistednMean said:
Wow, you sure looked long and hard for something to get insulted about. Anyways, it was never my intention to imply that you lack psychological health. You, in my opinion, choose to delude yourself into believing something exists when it does not. And since you belong to a group of similar minded individuals, you delude yourselves together. It is called group think.

While it is not a medical condition by any definition of the term it is certainly dangerous and it is a problem, because it strips you of the capacity for critical thinking and produces an unquestionable dogma into which you try to indoctrinate other people. It's like a cult, albeit a nonreligious one.

If the thought makes you feel uncomfortable, maybe you should reevaluate your beliefs from their very core. Then you can conclude whether I am right or merely a random transmisogynist troll. But merely getting offended will get you nowhere.
I didn't have to look very hard, it was something that strikes a perpetually raw nerve, so I apologize if it seems like I went off on you, or anything. To be blatantly honest the nonacceptance isn't all from your particular stance either, transgender people do it to each other, we can get quite cliquish, so can gays and lesbians, hell in regards that last one, some of them refuse to believe in bisexuality.

At any rate I've thought critically about my gender identity probably far longer than you would believe possible, basically from the moment I became aware that boys and girls(males and females biologically speaking) were different. I'm not being dogmatic about something, once I did a bare bit of research on it, groupthink really doesn't apply. I was alone with my gender dysphoria for a very long time, and as I learned about the subject more and more I began to understand lots of things about it, and what fit me. I'm still learning things, but I do know that expressing myself honestly makes life easier, and people refusing to accept why and how I'm different doesn't make life easier.

If you wanna talk about critical thinking, I'm critical of a lot of ideas that float around in the LGBT community. I'm one of those weirdos that believe that there's more to sexuality and gender identity than simply "born that way", and on the same vein I don't buy the "it's a choice" line either. It's not a dogmatic blind faith in the way it's seen by "the group" for me. I see a deep complex set of things regarding sexuality and gender(not biological sex strictly speaking) interwoven with in humans from social behaviour, to identity, and even on the brain chemistry level. Which as far as I can tell is generally the consensus amongst people who are experts in these fields.

I don't see you as a transmisognyist, or really transphobic, even though that might how I could initially react. At the same time the lack of acceptance strike deep, I've been hurt emotionally by non-accepting attitudes quite a bit, so that sort of thing can instantly set me off. The thought doesn't make me uncomfortable with my personal views, but I am uncomfortable with people actively refusing to at least give me the barest acceptance of who I am. Like with you, I see it as ignorant, and the way you're framing disagreement to the point of exclusion out of hand seems stubbornly close minded. Call it indoctrination if you want, I just prefer a bare minimum of open mindedness, as opposed to the "nope, you're totally wrong, because of my opinion" stance. Though I probably come off that way, but then again that stance has been used as a weapon against me by close friends and family.

Anyways I hope that makes things a little clearer, at least as far as my stance is concerned.

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Regarding gender.

No comment. I'm not touching any comments or any polls regarding gender.

Sex on the other hand.

When it comes to humans, a very much sexually dimorphic animal, there are only two sexes. XX, means female, and XY means male.

I doubt I'm ever going to use gender ever again when speaking English (my second language), because it's one of those words the philosophers, and tumblr tossers have descended upon and made essentially meaningless (especially with all those bogus "chosen pronouns" and utterly stupid "genders" like mayonnaise).

Nailzzz

Apr 6, 2015
Azure23 said:
Nailzzz said:
I would be reluctant to really take the concept of gender too seriously. As far as I am aware the term was created by some hack doctor who attempted to legitimize the concept using child abuse and lies. The fact that so many supposed academics grabbed onto the idea's and hung on for dear life, rather than distance themselves from it over the fail state outcomes of the results of his experiments, if not even for moral reasons, is something I find really troubling.
If you're referring to the infamous "study" where the doctor essentially forced one of two male twins to transition then you are laughably incorrect. Gender as a concept has been around for a looooong time.
I'm pretty sure we aren't having a discussion about grammar. Not sure why you think it is relevant to the discussion. I suppose you could make the claim that since language can often determines the lines by which people tend to formulate ideas but it strikes me as reaching a bit for a justification in regards to this subject.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
TwistednMean said:
So once again you're going to dismiss anything you disagree with because of reasons.
Yes. Those reasons being the utter lack of any scientific evidence supporting your case and you using completely irrelevant historical anecdotes about gender curiosities as proof of existence of a third (or, possibly, more) genders. You are illogical and your narrative is artificially constructed. Need I explain further why I dismiss it?

Even when places like the WHO disagree with you. [http://www.who.int/gender/whatisgender/en/] Even if the WHO uses some pretty dumb examples and totally ignores trans people in that.
WHO does not cite any sources to back up their claims. Which is convenient when there are none, right?

But hey! Look what else this particular article has to say!
In the United States (and most other countries), women earn significantly less money than men for similar work
I knew it! It is the Patriarchy at work again isn't it? Oh, wait, that claim is just pure lie with a pinch of weasel wording. WHO doesn't seem like a reliable source of information all of a sudden...
For the first part... Shit is that condescending way to state things.

On the other hand I kind of do agree with your of the WHO's assessment it is inherently flawed and shallow, then again the WHO isn't much of an organization to be taken seriously from what I've seem them do.

So here's a better more complete much more well referenced article [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender]

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
There is only biological gender, and for that you need one XX and one XY to get an offspring.
All other definitions are really just people drawing lines in the sand to define themselves, and ostracize all variations they don't like. And the more lines you draw, i.e. make up new genders and other Tumblrisms, the easier you make it to insult others.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Sex and gender are seperate things. Your sex is the gender you were assigned with at birth, and gender is another matter entirely: namely your "mental sex".

It's a very cultural, subjective issue. In the west we typically have two genders - male, and female - but in many eastern communities such as in Taiwan there are cultures that accept up to 5 genders. (ie, cis male, cis female, trans male, trans female, agender, among other examples)

So the answer is, no. There are more than 2 genders, but which genders are considered acceptable depends on your culture.

Call yourself whichever gender you want - pangender, dinosaur, America - as long as you simply aren't using nonbinary genders to mock people who don't consider themselves binary.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Genetically, yes. There are only two genders.

Psychologically, however, and culturally? That's a huge, if not a gigantic can of worms. Gender identity is being fractured and redefined and sometimes ignored outright, with people claiming they're asexual or happy sticking with an intersex nature or upbringing. Add to that the fact that the cultural aspects of each gender have blown up over the past few decades and are now gracing us with stay-at-home dads and super-active female soldiers out on the front lines, and you're left with the impression that genes no longer matter in the general discussion.

Considering, I'd join the emerging masses and say that your "gender" is whatever defines you on a deeply personal level. If you're a man who's trying to become the woman he feels he's always deserved to be, then good on you. If you're a woman who's trying to reach ideals of masculine physicality and you're at peace with your own process, then that's awesome. If you're an Otherkin or a furry or anything else in-between and you're confident enough to say that this isn't a phase and that it really does define you, then go for it. You have to be sure, though.

Just try and respect other people's perceptions of their own gender, though. The prefix "cis" is almost an insult as of late, and it's gone to the point where I wonder if we don't have to apologize for being in synch with our biological status, or even being born of a specific race.

I'm a cis white male; not a walking stereotype.

Eliam_Dar

Nov 25, 2009
Azure23 said:
Holy shit this thread has become just head-smackingly stupid.

The amount of people here who refuse to educate themselves on the ACTUAL ACADEMIC DEFINITIONS OF GENDER AND SEX and instead just parrot whatever bullshit they were taught growing up is truly sad. Sexual dimorphism exists, yes, all you idiots give yourself a cookie. Socially and anthropologically constructed gender roles and identities exist, and those are incredibly varied and not fully described by two terms. I don't give a fuck where you grew up. Take an anthropology class, learn about other cultures, and for fucks sake stop assuming that the western concept of binary gender is all there is.

And stop comparing trans individuals to otherkin. It's not clever, it's not a "gotcha" point. All you're doing is telling whoever you're talking to that your opinion isn't worth listening to. Literally all you're doing is complaining that someone else is complaining, and when they're complaining about having roughly quadruple the average suicide rate and depressingly high incidences of assault, you really just come off like an asshole.
That is an awful amount of anger. You have all the right to disagree, no need to call people names. Gender and Sex for me are intrinsically related. Gender roles were assigned to a particular biological sex for a reason. Hence biological dimorphism affects gender.
Unfortunately the "academic" definition of gender is very polluted by several agendas, so it is not a valid point