Poll: Think you think straight? Think again...

Unia

Jan 15, 2010
13%, I got called out on relativity of moral and mainstream medicine vs. alternative medicine.

The latter was a bit of a brain-fart on my part, I thought it was illegal to sell non-tested chemical compounds for medicinal use regardless of origin. Maybe there's a difference in legislation, maybe I'm just silly.

As for relativity of moral, the term moral includes both things like "other people have the right to live" and "showing a certain body part in public is inherently evil". I agree with first sentence and disagree with second.
I thought the question of genocide was asking for my opinion from my moral standpoint. What, I got morals like everybody else.

GotMalkAvian

Feb 4, 2009
A whopping 33%, but I'd never claim to have myself completely straightened out mentally. I'm constantly re-thinking things and in a state of philosophical flux.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Easily Forgotten said:
I got 7%.

Only conflict, apparently, was this:

I can kind of understand, but I don't think I know anyone nor know of anyone who believes genocide isn't a bad thing.
I got that too. I knew it would come and bite me in the ass.

A better statement would be not to say genocide is "Evil", but that it can have negative effects on a society. That is slightly more morally consistent from a utilitarian point of view (the method I generally use to value acts).

Of course my answers on a test and my actions in life rarely match up. Though I try to make them match whenever I can.

u4527646

Jul 20, 2010
I got 20% because I had 3 points of tension. But I only really showed actually tension in one point (in my opinion). For example:

"You disagreed that:
It is quite reasonable to believe in the existence of a thing without even the possibility of evidence for its existence
But agreed that:
Atheism is a faith just like any other, because it is not possible to prove the non-existence of God"

I suppose that this problem is from me not believing that Atheism is a faith (especially for the reason given) but I felt I should agree anyway because I feel Atheism should be recognised as a religion that same why any other religion based on faith is... Not that I feel atheism is based on faith... Because I feel it's based on science instead... Anyways...

Klepa

Apr 17, 2009
GotMalkAvian said:
A whopping 33%, but I'd never claim to have myself completely straightened out mentally. I'm constantly re-thinking things and in a state of philosophical flux.
Same here, 33%.

The test did manage to call me out on the things I am unsure about, so kudos to that. Environmental issues are something that I've always had a mixed bag of feelings about.

I also scored some extra points about moral relativity, and the concept of "truth", and then agreeing that holocaust was bad.

u4527646

Jul 20, 2010
Nazz3 said:
53 %. What does this test even measure?
It measures "tension" or if you have beliefs that conflict with each other, underneath your score there should be a list of the questions that you gave conflicting answers for and why they (the writers) think those two answers disagree.

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
Tension Quotient = 0%

Wow, I did not expect this. Still, I believe my beliefs are not that consistent (as the test said, it does not cover everything). Oh well, I always strive to improve myself :D

Mistermixmaster

Aug 4, 2009
33%. I dunno if that's good or bad, but I got my own wierd way of looking at the world, and I'm happy with it.

Also, this one was a bit wierd
Questions 12 and 30: Is the future fixed?
You agreed that:
Having made a choice, it is always possible that one might have chosen otherwise
And also that:
The future is fixed, how one's life unfolds is a matter of destiny

They got the example of buying one of two coats, where they say it is already predetermined which coat you'll end up buying because of fate, but I don't think it works that way. I think it's more like you choose which coat you buy, and thus fate decides how your future will unfold onwards to the next decision you'll end up having to make. Y'know, sortof like in visual novels.

Kyoufuu

Mar 12, 2009
DuctTapeJedi said:
Mine was fairly high, but in all of the cases there were other matters to take into consideration. They were too complicated to be answered by a 'yes' or 'no.'

Questions 16 and 21: What should be legal?

70506 of the 172162 people who have completed this activity have this tension in their beliefs.

You agreed that:
The government should not permit the sale of treatments which have not been tested for efficacy and safety
And also that:
Alternative and complementary medicine is as valuable as mainstream medicine

If alternative medicines are tested, I don't see a problem.
If they are tested, and work, they lose the 'alternative' title.

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
I got 20%, but on some points even having seen the 'contradiction' pointed out I maintain both points and deny that a contradiction exists, for example
You agreed that:
So long as they do not harm others, individuals should be free to pursue their own ends
But disagreed that:
The possession of drugs for personal use should be decriminalised

In order not to be in contradiction here, you must be able to make a convincing case that the personal use of drugs harms people other than the drug user. More than this - you must also show that prohibited drug use harms others more than other legal activities such as smoking, drinking and driving cars, unless you want to argue that these should also be made criminal offences. As alcohol, tobacco and car accidents are among the leading killers in western society, this case may be hard to make. You also have to make the case for each drug you think should not be decriminalised. The set of drugs which are currently illegal is not a natural one, so there is no reason to treat all currently illegal drugs the same.
One could very easily point out how heavy drug users negatively effect unrelated people, not only by citing things such as erratic behavior causing, at times causing violent, criminal behavior of the user, but also the added drain on society. As their physical addiction can take over their life, lowering competency in the work place that then needs to be picked up by other workers, treatment for such drugs also tends to take up resources that could otherwise be allocated to other people. It is true that all drugs can not be treated the same, but the general comment "should illicit drugs be decriminalized?" is question directed at all currently illegal drugs, and it is simply unreasonable to decriminalize all drugs.

jonnosferatu

Mar 29, 2009
I got a result I expected and like.

However, I consider the test extremely flawed and oversimplified, and think whoever decided that painting the setup in such black and white terms needs to be slapped.

EDIT: In particular, I disagree with the 8 and 18 take.
You disagreed that:
It is quite reasonable to believe in the existence of a thing without even the possibility of evidence for its existence
But agreed that:
Atheism is a faith just like any other, because it is not possible to prove the non-existence of God
It is not reasonable to assume the existence of something without evidence, but if you can't prove its nonexistence, it's still an act of faith to state its nonexistence. You can't prove either way, so any opinion on the matter is by definition a matter of faith (and consequently irrelevant for immediate purposes).

I also mildly disagree with the extent of conflict it reads into my responses to 24 and 3.

Jonabob87

Jan 18, 2010
27%

It isn't the most perfect test in the world, it claims I'm hypocritical for both believing in God and believing that children shouldn't be allowed to suffer. If there was a chance to elaborate somewhat it would possibly be more accurate because those are both blanket statements that cover an immense amount of possibilities and situations.

Also for thinking that medecine and sanitation are good, while thinking homosexuality is wrong. It then builds a tenuous link between the two to claim that they don't jibe well...

Sgt. Dante

Jul 30, 2008
0%, Does that make me a bad guy? I certainly hope not, just means I''m consistant in my beliefs.

rutger5000

Oct 19, 2010
I found the test rather lacking because it only allows two answers, and is clearly designed for an American audience, I fail to see why it couldn't be more international. There were many questions I wanted to answer differently but couldn't.