Poll: This is why I don't like World of Warcraft:

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
imahobbit4062 said:
What turns me off any MMO is monthly fee's, and I feel that if I join, I would be pretty useless, since I don't understand most MMO terms, that and from what I hear it takes ages to get to a level where the game begins to be fun.

I love the concept however, you and a band of mates of various classes and skills tackling legions of foes together. Sounds cool.
Monthly Fees and Grinding... can't stand either

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
My introduction to MMO's was this "You burned that shrimp." If you need to have patience to put up with boredom in a game you're paying for no less there is something seriously wrong with that picture.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
I guess I was lucky to find a perfect guild for my raiding times to tackle the great TBC raid content with.

If I hadn't found that I'm pretty sure I would've quit playing within half a year. Nowadays I log in once in a while to play with people I know and love, and that's the only way to play for me. The community as a whole is awful, as is the rest of the game outside of raids.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
The combat. It's completely based on arbitrary rules. The AI of mobs is so stupid, when you gain a terrain advantage over them, they "reset" to compensate. At the time of its release, there was no such thing as cover, ie. nothing could stop a projectile once launched. Basically, it's a pure stat fight with some small timing strategy involved... and that's just not my cup of tea.

Hgame

Sep 3, 2010
Mainly I dont play it because of the stigma attached. If you tell someone you play games they think thats normal. If you tell them you play WoW they think you have no friends and live in your parent's basement, obsessed with a fantasy world.

AdmiralMemo

LoadingReadyRunner
Legacy
Dec 15, 2008
Monthly subscription turns me off. That's why I got the lifetime subscription to Star Trek Online.

Also, the setting of WoW never appealed to me.

It is likely a very awesome game, though.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
mostly because of the price, monthly subscriptions just don't do it for me.

Also I don't have as much time on my hands to get my moneys worth of it.

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
NeedAUserName said:
I don't mind most of the game, its just I find the end game content (eg raiding) boring as hell. I just don't see the appeal in running the same place every week to get a few precious bits of armour so you can advance tot he next dungeon, that you raid every week for x number of weeks until you have enough gear to advance again.

I do however really enjoy everything u to that, and on my main have just to many stupid achievements, like Loremaster, and getting a Frostsabre mount. Unfortunately I can't get onto my account anymore, and although slightly gutted, I realize it ain't the end of the world, and the main reason I want to play the game again is because I can't.
I have very similar feelings. I enjoyed most of the game a lot - more so since I've played with a friend - and then hit the ceiling and got introduced to the raids. The WoW experience, for me, was built on twin pillars of stat progression and exploration. Once exploration got taken out, it quickly became boring. It was even worse because of the amount of players who vehemently believe that you should spend your entire time outside the game researching builds and strategies to optimize raid efficiency and will abuse you if you don't. I spent some time leveling several other characters from different races/classes up to around mid-40s, but I just lost all motivation after the lvl 80 experience. I quit the game almost a year ago, and I'm not planning to come back anytime soon.

Cataclysm and all the good things I hear about do tickle my nostalgia for the early days of my WoWing (I always loved starting out and early exploration), but I probably won't get back to it again.

KalosCast

Dec 11, 2010
My beef with the game (and every single other MMO) is the time commitment. I don't want to level up my character to 85 just to get to the content that people actually want to play. If I came back to the game, I'd gladly pay money to just start out at the level cap, or somewhere in the ballpark of it. In WoW specifically, many classes don't get their workhorse spell combos until later in the game, making PvP not even close to an option until you've already sunk several weeks into the game, and with the rework of lower-level content, dungeons don't require any effort until you're almost ready for raiding.

Even once you get to the level cap, that's not the end of it. If you wanna go PvE, you're going to have to run heroics until you get good enough gear for raiding. Then you're going to have to get into a raiding guild and grind out the early-game raids until you get an entire new set of gear, which will take a while because all the higher-ranking guildies get priority on drops since they're part of every single raid, then you get to finally do the endgame content, which maybe you run a single small part of once a week, and other than that it's all about stocking up on food for buffs and other necessary supplies. And then if you decide to switch over to PvP, you have to start from close to the beginning, because PvE gear isn't that great for PvP.

With that said, the World PvP (that is, outside of battlegrounds and sanctioned areas for it) is simply wonderful, mostly because the game is more or less going off the rails. I can feel a quivering in my loins just thinking about how much fun places like Stranglethorn Vale were, getting a couple friends together to ambush some Alliance players, the cat-and-mouse of trying to avoid their level-cap guildmates who they'd inevitably call in to one-shot you, a bunch of guys showing up from Stormwind to kill everything in Base Camp... again... a zeppelin full of Horde guys jumping down to take it back, good times.

Tadaka

Jun 8, 2006
Aeshi said:
To all the people who say the quests are repetitive:
I suppose YOU can come up with several thousand unique quests without repeating a single thing?
No. But then I am not a game developer. By your logic one could never be dissatisfied with a meal unless they are a gourmet cook.

Aeshi said:
To all the people who say it's nothing but grind/repetitive:
Games are nothing BUT grind/repetitiveness.
All games?

Sorry but that is patently false. So far your post is pretty full of fail.

Aeshi said:
You can't really call WoW out on it without calling out every other game in existence out on it (Though then again mindlessly bashing WoW does supposedly make you "cool"...)
The already minuscule amount of credibility you may have had leading up to this galactically ignorant statement just flew out the window.

Or, to give you the benefit of the doubt, perhaps you need to expand your gaming horizons beyond typical MMO fare.

KalosCast

Dec 11, 2010
Psycho-Toaster said:
It has subscription fees. That, to me, is a warning light when it comes to games. If a game has subscription fees, it's almost certain that it's designed primarily to be addictive to keep you p(l)aying. Making it fun is secondary.
Because, of course, the game that relies on your continued support in order to stay in the black has less of an obligation to deliver good content than the game that you give all of your money to up-front and can't get a refund on.

It's generally the free-to-play MMOs (and other online games) that are the ones that create an environment of "omg I have to give them money" by essentially withholding all of the good content or gear required to stay competitive at higher levels until you give them money.

I mean, obviously MMOs aren't for everyone, but Blizzard didn't get a 62% market share with WoW because everybody hates themselves every time they login.

ChaoticKraus

Jul 26, 2010
It ate several years of my teendom. Therefore it makes me kind of uneasy and depressed thinking of all that time wasted, grades lowered and weight gained.

AcacianLeaves

Sep 28, 2009
I was hoping to find more opinions (and thus get more feedback) from people who played the game and gave it a good college try (ie played more than the trial) that just never got sucked into it. In other words, people who like MMORPGs but don't like WoW. I guess there just aren't that many of us out there.

I'm seriously amazed at how many people complain about the cost. The actual money spent on a subscription based MMO is negligible. If you're an avid or even average casual gamer, you'll be spending more than $15 a month on games anyway. Considering the amount of content that subscription based games tend to have, I don't see that as asking for an unusual amount of money. You're basically buying and experiencing a new game with every stage you progress through an MMO, if the MMO is designed correctly.

I think the real issue with many of you is the very idea of subscription fees. There is some kind of psychological block that you imagine that you are being charged every second of every day to play the game, and if you aren't spending all of your time playing the game then you are wasting money.

If you play an MMO for only 10 hours a week you are more than getting your month's subscription fee worth, considering how you value your game time. For instance it took me 20 hours to finish Fable 3, and the game cost me $60. That means Fable 3 charged me $3/hour to play it. Similarly if I spend, in a month, 10 hours a week playing an MMO that chages me $15 a month, that MMO is charging me roughly 38 cents an hour to play. That's only if you play an average 2 hours a night.

If you started to convert all your game time costs into hourly rates, you'll find that MMORPGs tend to charge less than any other form of gaming. You can add the initial $20 cost of buying the game if you want, but I haven't yet played an MMO that didn't include the first month's fee in the purchase price.

In conclusion, if money is keeping you from playing an MMO then the problem isn't actual cost - its your own psychology and your perceptions.

AcacianLeaves

Sep 28, 2009
pejhmon said:
AcacianLeaves said:
thahat said:
moooneeeey needs to be in the op's poll xd
I think money would fall under having no interest in any MMORPG. Although seriously, a normal game is $60 new. That's 4 months of World of Warcraft right there. With the inclusion of game-time cards 'money' isn't really a great reason, you can easily get more content out of 4 months of your typical MMO than you would out of all the content in a typical new release.
But at least with non-subscription games you can just wait a bit then the price goes down. Besides, you still have to buy WoW before you start the joys of subscription fees and at the moment buying the game with all expansions costs ~£46 which is about $70. Water's seeping through your argument mate unless you consider WoW to be equivalent to 2 games over 4 months play.
See above. Also, why would you buy all the expansions at once? You don't get to access their content until you reach the right level range. Even with the full cost of WoW classic + all expansions the fees are still easily comparable to buying a new console game every month or two.