Poll: Toonami reducing it's running time to 3 and half hours..

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I find it kind of sad that Toonami is getting cut, but at the same time I don't really care because the part that's getting cut is the part I didn't watch anyway because I'm not nocturnal. So really there won't be much change for me aside from remembering to catch Kill La Kill. Although I'll agree that starting earlier would have also helped ratings just as much, but I'm sure AS wasn't about to even think about giving up those earlier time slots for Toonami.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I... have mixed feelings about this.

It's a shame it's being cut down again, but then I sadly never got back into watching Adult Swim-flavor Toonami, seeing as it was put up in the middle of the night to please the nostalgia crowd. And I'd rather not have to wade through Adult Swim's lowest common denominator-pandering trash shows to get to the good stuff.

...Why yes, I am still bitter about that!

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
crazygameguy4ever said:
Scarim Coral said:
It is hard to say seeing you called Kill La Kill bad.
i tried watching it.. the idea /story behind it is unique but the character designs and animation is so bad.. not quite attack on titan level of bad , but so rough looking
That looks is on PURPOSE!

It's reminiscent 80s anime style. It looks retro. It's supposed to look like that. The makers are people from Gainax, they're not known for bad art style or animation.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
It's ratings people. The casual watcher will still sit and watch DBZ Kai.

I haven't been to thrilled with Toonami as of late, and maybe it's just the shows they're picking. I'm not a big Anime guy, and only certain stuff clicks with me. I'd love to watch One Piece but they put it on way to late.

You get stuff like Bleach which is sooooo not good for the casual viewer. I've watched it at least 20 times, random episodes, I never have any idea whats going on.

This is just me throwing this out there, but I wish Cartoon Network in general had more action cartoons in general. They've got A LOT of funny shows now, but they have nothing that really scratches that itch like Big O did or Teen Titans or Code: Lyoko.

The Bucket

May 4, 2010
I can see why they'd take Kill La Kill over Bebop and SAC. Who the hell who watches Toonami hasn't seen (or at least had the opportunity to see) those 10 trillion times already? At least KlK is fairly new. The things on late night/early morning, I cant see new viewers being a significant portion of the audience.

Also, you seem a bit unreasonably mad about this if you dont mind me saying.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
It makes sense simply because 2 seasons of GitS and one long season of Bebop is all that exist and they've been showing them for nearly 15 years now. I've seen all of both of them multiple times, and while they were the best shows in the block by far, I definitely understand them wanting to remove them from the lineup because they're old.

That said, I haven't watched TV in a long time, so I really don't care.

Razuli

Feb 26, 2013
The reason they are dropping Ghost in the Shell, IGPX, and Bebop is because they've aired them for a very long time already, hell since it's moved to Saturday nights I'm pretty sure they've completely played through Bebop 3-4 times, whereas those other shows haven't been run through once.

I think that the biggest issue with their ratings is its time. Who would stay up until 6 am on a weekly basis, especially when many online services for watching tv shows exist?

Dr. Thrax

Dec 5, 2011
Elfgore said:
Honestly, I'd get rid of Deadman Wonderland and switch it with a better series like Cassharn Sins or Code Geass.
asdflkjg
Nooo!
Not Casshern Sins!
This is honestly just my opinion, but it was the whiniest anime I've ever seen.
"I CAN'T DIE! I KILLED THE MOON!!!" almost every episode "KILL CASSHERN CONSUME CASSHERN DIE BY CASSHERN'S HAND LIKE WE WERE MADE OF TIN FOIL" from every robot
It honestly felt like the same episode over and over and over again, with little to no explanation on anything. You just watched some whiny twat whine and beat the shit out of robots in horribly unexciting battles.

OT: Honestly, the big problem with Toonami now is the fact that a lot of these are on streaming services like Netflix and Hulu. You can watch your preferred anime when you want instead of waiting until midnight, sitting through a potentially horrible sub, and having to deal with long commercial breaks.
Toonami is just sadly obsolete now.

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
Queen Michael said:
crazygameguy4ever said:
Queen Michael said:
Please don't use words like "retarded" as insults. It's not nice.
i use the word to describe things all the time and most people I know do as well.. i don't see the problem with it
Originally, the word referred to people suffering from actual mental retardation. It's kind of how some people use the word "fag" as an insult. Even if they don't mean to be homophobic, it's still an insult specifically because it refers to gay people.
Retard is a borrowed word from Parisian.
Used to describe low functional autistic before the theory of autism and other areas.
What he is using is now an allusion, invoking what was a debunk mental contention because people wish to invoke a level of social intellect that a person lacks.
It is a word people tend to like to use and need to use for a specific. It's not supposed to be directed owards a group as an insult, rather as a categorical placement.
removing retard from our collective idiolect will simply will not reduce the necessity for referring to someone as stupid, and adding that extra push
all this will do will replace the much used autism completely as an insult.
Then aspergers, the new politically correct classification that replaces autism will be replaced, repeat ad nausum,
Anyway, a lot of autistic like myself don't give a fuck. let the NT say whatever the fuck he wants

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Gundam GP01 said:
Bat Vader said:
It was nice while it lasted. Instead of cutting the time down why not just start Toonami earlier? Have the more tame stuff like Naruto and DBZ Kai on earlier and slowly progress to the more adult stuff around twelve or so. Hard to believe it has been over two years since it came back.
Be honest here, would you actually watch 6 straight hours of anime every Saturday night, even if it was from 9 to 3 instead of 12 to 6?

Or would you quit about half way through?
If the shows they had on were interesting I would.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
Queen Michael said:
Please don't use words like "retarded" as insults. It's not nice.
As opposed to nice insults?

An insult by its very nature isn't nice. Is there really that much of a difference if a separate group not targeted by the original insult are also insulted?

SaikyoKid

Sep 1, 2011
Honest question: Why do people even watch CN's version of Toonami still if it's so bad? And more on that note, why not just go to one of the other options out there if you really don't like what they play? Anime's all over the place both officially and unofficially on the internet, and if it's the Toonami spin on things you miss, there's actually a fan stream of all the old stuff online with the old Toonami bumpers included.

I mean, it may kinda suck to see them cut their time in half, but it just seems a little unnecessarily rude, ya know?

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Roll the clocks back 10 years ago and Toonami/Adult Swim seemed fresh, showing stuff you couldn't find on the other channels and every weekend was a treat when you got to catch up with your favorite series.

Now it seems more like old execs in a dying industry are trying to keep some nostalgia fans happy, and most fans in the 10-20 age range don't even know what cable TV is.

I loved toonami and Adult Swim back in the day, but now it's like the news paper, just a dead industry that only seems to make money playing reality TV and sports, I'm guessing most of the other target audiences have long left for the internet.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
I suppose it's because I get most of my entertainment from the internet, and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't every show that plays on Toonami widely-available anime that can easily be viewed from other sources online, such as Crunchyroll? Or even purchased for home screening whenever one wants?

Perhaps I fail to understand the purpose of Toonami in 2015.

Sure, it was highly lauded in the past and I watched a great deal of it in my childhood, but this change in attitude on [adult swim] and Cartoon Network's part just doesn't come across as that huge of a deal to me.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
Elfgore said:
Kill La Kill has done very well with Western audiences. Just look at how fast they got a dub out for it, the only dub I've seen done faster was Attack on Titan. It just seems you don't care for it.

I do think it is sad, but I understand why. Back before I liked anime, I hated Saturday nights because nothing but anime was on Adult Swim. No American Dad or Family Guy. It seems that the audience shares my old opinion. Honestly, I'd get rid of Deadman Wonderland and switch it with a better series like Cassharn Sins or Code Geass. The rest of the line-up makes sense. Two of the most popular series and was seems to be two classics. Smart move in my book.
Code geass yes, but i think cassharn sins was already on toonami and it was the dumbest, most depressing anime i've ever had the misfortune of watching part of an episode of..

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
Veldie said:
Oh look the person who thinks that korra ending was misinterpreted and told everyone there wrong because they know better.

Using retarded and such for something so minor is quite bad you shouldnt use words that don't make you look like such a bad person and have nothing to do with said topic. And ghost in the Shell is old enough you can find it well same for cowboy bebop. Just because they remove the anime you like that's been airing off and on toonami for like 10 years is no reason to get so bent out of shape.

I don't even need to watch toonami to catch all the old stuff most places sell copys or have them on digital streaming services like netflix.
bite me.. korra ending WAS misinterpreted .. but i've already beat that dead horse so much it's getting old.. and it's still dead.. i hear people use the word retard to describe things all the time.. and toonami's new "idea" of what to do is retarded.. I've already seen every episode of Cowboy Bebop and Gin TS SAC.. that's not the point. so i guess i'll explain it to you in simpler words.. Toonami is getting rid of anime that's good and cutting the time in half instead of replacing the good anime I mentioned with other good anime and/or keeping the running time the same as it was.