Poll: Toronto School Bans Hard Balls - Do You Agree?

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Sounds like they need to grow harder balls. Let's kick a few of them their way to change their mind, no?

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
...What. Seriously? Why not just stick all the kids in some plush bouncy room with all curves, 8 padlocks on all of their hands and a little screen that feeds them education audio only.

THAT will have all the parents complaints off our back for sure. *snaps fingers*

Kids get hurt. Kids go out of their way to hurt and be hurt. It's how they learn. No lack of play equipment is going to stop them. Give them their frigging balls back you arseholes. And I went to a school who didn't have balls out at recess, injury was a daily occurrence. It's just LUCK. Or unlucky in this case. Whatever you argue, you cannot deny that your childhood was filled with kids scrapping their knees, spraining ankles and wrists, actually breaking bones occasionally, and now because one adult was struck by an unfortunate stray ball at a precise speed and area of the head enough to cause a concussion, suddenly no one is allowed the fun they are used to having.

Well colour me purple if that ain't the same thing that goes on with 'freedoms' one idiot accidentally or purposefully upsets the order of things and ruins it for the rest of everyone when the big man says: "okay now none of you are allowed to do this without doing X Y Z signing your life away or guaranteeing..." It's utterly maddening.

This line of thinking is very very stupid. And I constantly challenge types of reasoning like that. Using a freak occurrence as a excuse for pushing a rule to make life shittier for people is dumb.

Mr. Eff_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2009
Dastardly said:
Yep. Not because I think it'll help anyone, but because (as a teacher) I wouldn't want to get sued, either. As long as schools can be sued for stuff like this, I think they're right to ban every last bit of it.
I think it's sad that the school felt like it had to come to this decision. Maybe this says more about parents than it does about schools?

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Yeah, as I despised hardball sports as a child. I sympathise with any children who hate hardballs, because I got hit by basketballs and footballs a few times. -_-

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Mr. Eff said:
Dastardly said:
Yep. Not because I think it'll help anyone, but because (as a teacher) I wouldn't want to get sued, either. As long as schools can be sued for stuff like this, I think they're right to ban every last bit of it.
I think it's sad that the school felt like it had to come to this decision. Maybe this says more about parents than it does about schools?
Yep. Everyone wants everything to be someone else's fault, and no one can touch parents. You can fire a teacher for making one mistake, you can vote out a representative because you don't like his hair, but you can't do anything to a parent no matter how incompetently they do the job (provided the child isn't absolutely starving).

Kingsnake661

Dec 29, 2010
There's protecting children from danger and harm, then, there's padding them in bubble wrap and protecting them from EVERTHING. The latter, is BAD for children. Life is hard, they need SOME steel in there bones and some thickend skin to survive. A few bumps and bruses aren't going to kill them. This is stupid, but it's the natural progression that socitiy is heading down. Kid gloves for everyone! It's not going to end well... IMO.

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
Mr. Eff said:
Dastardly said:
Indeed. I wish just once that a school would come out and say that dealing with risk is an essential part of one's education. And while I'm at it, I'd like a pony.

I think that part of my confusion comes when I try to understand what a school means by "injury". They appear to mean "anything which causes a person to suffer some degree of pain or discomfort", like maybe a scraped knee or a cricket ball to the leg. When I talk about an injury, I mean something along the lines of a broken limb or a severe concussion. Something that's going to take you out of action for awhile.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
In my primary school we weren't allowed to play sports or run in the playground. Neither were we allowed to bring in trading cards, handheld games (Gameboy/PSP etc) or any other toys. Break and lunch times were very boring in primary school.

(For any that don't know, primary school in the UK is from ages 4 - 11, and for me pretty much all I wanted to do in that time was run around and play sports.)

Blue Hero

Aug 6, 2011
I smacked my head on the ground really hard once (I jumped for a rope hanging from a tree, slip down the rope, got rope-burn on my hands, and hit the back of my head on my roots) and got concussed. It wasn't that bad. Felt a little dizzy and couldn't see straight for a while, but it was a pretty fun experience. This is a huge overreaction. Kids need to experience concussions!

Ris

Mar 31, 2011
For the young kiddies, I totally agree with it. At my school we weren't allowed to play with hard balls until we were out of juniors (about 9 years old), and even then size 5 balls weren't allowed until we hit high school (age 12).

Getting hit in the face with a hard ball fracking hurts, especially when you're knee high to a grasshopper. I don't see this as coddling at all. Tiny child = smaller ball, it makes sense.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Sure take away hard balls. What about erasers? I mean...those can give quite a sting if lobbed at a kids head, better remove those too. Oh damn and backpacks! Drop one of those on your foot and you might be in trouble. Come to think of it, table corners are far too sharp. Everything should be rounded...and the teachers should be made of nerf.

Rensenhito

Jan 28, 2009
Hey guys, we should ban books. If you drop one of them on your foot, it could break your toe. And nothing kills a child's confidence like a broken toe.
Also, compulsive "reading" can lead to eyestrain and social withdrawal.
DANGER CLOSE.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Not the right approach. Obviously, they shouldn't use hard balls for things like dodgeball (I nearly broke my glasses, dammit!) but it's not exactly possible to longbomb a foam ball while playing (American) football.

blizzaradragon

Mar 15, 2010
I agree with this for two reasons: 1) It's an elementary school which has younger children who are more likely to get injured due to still growing and being generally more sensitive than older children/adults, and 2) As someone who has actually been knocked out cold before by a soccer ball to the back of the head I can say with ease that kids that age don't have the restraint necessary to play with them and avoid major injuries in an area where neither they nor the parents are the ones who would be held responsible. If they want to play with them on their own time then fine, no one is trying to stop them there. But in a school environment where the chances of injury are much greater I say it's better to be safe than sorry.

cdstephens

Apr 5, 2010
I think the fact that in football you tackle each other really hard would be more likely to cause a concussion....

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Except this shit doesn't actually protect children. We learn not to fuck about because, in the past, we've gotten ourselves hurt doing it. We remember the dangers of football because we took a ball to the face, or the obvious weak point.

What do I remember about the dangers of full-contact rugby? Well, in school it wasn't allowed. We played tag rugby in school. With a Welsh instructor. That's what I remember about it in school.
It wasn't until college, when I suffered soft tissue damage thanks to a misplaced kneecap and a lot of momentum. That's my memory of why I should be faster. Not any health and safety substitutes. Just experience. You bring kids up with foam and softness, and the second something real hits them, they're gonna lose their shit.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
Funny, I live in a town just north of Toronto and the elementary school I went to did this when someone got (barely) hurt when a dodgeball hit them in the face. It was a huge overreaction but this one in Toronto looks even worse. There must be compromise that can be reached somehow. Playing without proper sports balls is really stupid.

Phoenixlight

Aug 24, 2008
I agree with it, I used to hate the idiots who tried to kick them at people.

P.S. FUCK YOU CAPTCHA LEARN TO FUCKING READ