Poll: Toronto School Bans Hard Balls - Do You Agree?

Mr Somewhere

Mar 9, 2011
No I don't agree, if you've a couple of kids messing about with..."hard balls" (heh) you educate them, you don't just take it away for everyone. What kind of nonsense is this teaching?
Asides from this, the rough and tumble is an integral part of childhood, it shapes their perspective, stripping their lives of these things are not in any way beneficial.

Mr. Eff_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2009
Speakercone said:
Indeed. I wish just once that a school would come out and say that dealing with risk is an essential part of one's education. And while I'm at it, I'd like a pony.
That's something I was thinking about, too. People learn from trial and error, and this is especially important for children.
Think about the kid who kicked the ball that hit the parent in the article. If this kid knows that they hurt someone, I would think that this kid learned to be more careful. That their consequences can have actions.

The Coop

Nov 11, 2009
Up next on the banning block? Playing. Someone might get hurt doing it, either mentally or physically. After that's been dealt with? Childhood in general.

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
Kids are supposed to get hurt, it's part of childhood, damn! Really what is going through the minds of these imbeciles? When did scraped knees, cuts, bruises, and yes even mild concussions become bad things? It's all part of childhood. It's not like this is something new that they are overreacting to: this has been going on at schools for more than a hundred years, for as long as there have been schools! And more generally, this kind of thing has been part of growing up for millions of years.

Heck by the time I was ten I had had three concussions, stitches, a 2nd degree burn, and about a thousand cuts and bruises. When I was in elementary school our favourite games were building forts at the edge of the woods and waging war on each other with sticks for swords, or tearing up clumps of sturdy grass with, lots of dirt and rocks still attached, and throwing them at each other. Or my personal favourite: gravel fights with the pea gravel on the playground.

Just let kids have a childhood! It's okay to get hurt, there's nothing wrong with it: it's part of life.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
OH COME ON NOW
wow seriously this pisses me off to no end for some reason(a lot more than similar news).
maybe we should take a hint from the Quarians and let parents who fear for their children so much they are banning hard balls put those kids into huge bubbles. after that we make like the geth and throw them off the planet for being stupid.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
If they were the hard balls used for cricket, I could understand their decision, but not for football.

Dec 27, 2010
I personally believe we should be given football (or soccer to you Yanks) playing children basketballs to play with. After they break their own noses a few times, they'll to stop kicking them at the nerdy kids.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
Depends on the material. In primary school someone kicked a football at my head which caused it to hit a concrete wall next to it; hard. It's not the ball which is the issue. It's the cunts who delibarately injure people.

In secondary school I refused to catch any cricket balls who've been battered because they fucking hurt to catch. Thrown balls are fine because you don't throw them to kill the catcher, you throw them to be caught and throwing them retardily hard is counter productive.

Tennis balls are fine. Sure in rounders in primary school someone got a ball battered into their eye socket and started crying but they should just wo-man-up.

MrBenSampson

Oct 8, 2011
I went to highschool in a small town east of Ottawa. All of the dodge balls were made out of sponge. I missed that satisfying PANG sound the old ones made.

UrieHusky

Sep 16, 2011
I could only find 2 people explaining why they said they agree with this, but 17 (at time of writing) others just said yes and left, I'm genuinely interested to hear your reasons now...
Ah well, I personally don't agree with this *insert back in my day line* but hey, the world is already so safety concious now it was bound to happen. At this rate we're going to miss the stereotypical un-educated 19 year olds serving coffee at starbucks. (kidding of course)

dead.juice

Jul 1, 2011
I've had no problems with hard balls at my school.
My school was always stocked with a good selection of quality balls. They are easier to maintain, and you can really feel their weight when your playing with them.
The only people that got seriously hurt at my school by hard balls was the idiots who brought their balls in the shower with them and swung them around. The teachers forced us to keep our hard balls in sacks at all times unless we were playing with them, which we were doing constantly.
*snicker*

Flip-Shying

Jun 22, 2011
It's ridiculous because I know how bad it is... it happened to me in my school except: they banned all ball games and restricted us from any physical contact in case someone got hurt. Basically, I don't agree with the ban because accidents happen and sometimes they can't be avoided.