Poll: Transhumanism: How Far Would You Take It?

mateushac

Apr 4, 2010
I'd probably only go as far as number 2, which is actually pretty much what we have today, anyway. I'm impressed with the amount of people who would be willing to go through full body replacement, though.

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
mateushac said:
I'd probably only go as far as number 2, which is actually pretty much what we have today, anyway. I'm impressed with the amount of people who would be willing to go through full body replacement, though.
Nah, the idea of walking around basically as Robocop is quite appealing to many people. Add that to someone that isn't particularly attached to their body parts...

That said, I suspect many would be a little more reluctant to go under the knife if the opportunity actually came. I'd be surprised if anyone here who does not have major medical issues would go past #2 right away. Many would move on as the tech proves itself, but it takes some time to get used to the idea.

What surprises me are the number of people saying they want to go for #6, particularly the way the OP described it. #5 is bad enough in terms of forcing you to question whether or not you are the same person afterwards. With 6, there's no question about it, the being you become has absolutely nothing to do with what you were before. Even if it does end up with your memories, it will have its own motivations, goals, desires and ethics fairly well divorced from yours.

mateushac

Apr 4, 2010
Heronblade said:
mateushac said:
Nah, the idea of walking around basically as Robocop is quite appealing to many people. Add that to someone that isn't particularly attached to their body parts...

That said, I suspect many would be a little more reluctant to go under the knife if the opportunity actually came. I'd be surprised if anyone here who does not have major medical issues would go past #2 right away. Many would move on as the tech proves itself, but it takes some time to get used to the idea.

What surprises me are the number of people saying they want to go for #6, particularly the way the OP described it. #5 is bad enough in terms of forcing you to question whether or not you are the same person afterwards. With 6, there's no question about it, the being you become has absolutely nothing to do with what you were before. Even if it does end up with your memories, it will have its own motivations, goals, desires and ethics fairly well divorced from yours.
You have a good point there about people not really willing to go for it should the opportunity come. IMO, though, 6 sounds much more appealing than 5 does. I don't believe the OP meant you would turn into something that's not you (in that case wouldn't you cease to exist anyway?), but rather turn into something "extraphysical", just pure raw information flowing through the universe. If that's what he meant, then I'd be all in for it. If not, then I must agree with you.

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
mateushac said:
Heronblade said:
mateushac said:

You have a good point there about people not really willing to go for it should the opportunity come. IMO, though, 6 sounds much more appealing than 5 does. I don't believe the OP meant you would turn into something that's not you (in that case wouldn't you cease to exist anyway?), but rather turn into something "extraphysical", just pure raw information flowing through the universe. If that's what he meant, then I'd be all in for it. If not, then I must agree with you.
A being of raw energy would have the issues I speak of. Right now, your thought patterns are guided by a physical web, your senses are limited to what your nervous system is designed to detect, and your sense of the passage of time is likewise determined. Getting rid of that framework entirely will inevitably lead to massive changes in perspective and personality.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Watching the grey hairs sprout up, feeling my damaged knee complain now and then... I have to say that Option 4 looks more and more appealing.

[small](And no, I've never taken an arrow to any part of my anatomy, thanks for asking.)[/small]

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
There is no one I trust to augment my body/mind in any of this regard, and I don't see why so many people are so relaxed at the idea.

Personally, I prefer the Iron Man approach: kick-ass tech that is WEARABLE AND REMOVABLE. And I know someone would try to counter with "But he has tech in his body! The arc-reactor in his chest!" Yes, yes he does. But that doesn't need to be implanted in his body to make the suit work, an external arc-reactor in the suit, rather than in the man, works just fine (see: War Machine).

It's not really represented on the poll, but that's my limit: as long as the tech is easy-on/easy-off and I don't have to trust a doctor to install/repair/maintain something that's in my personal meatbag, I'm in. Otherwise, count me out.

Oh, and screw trans-humanist immortality. This world isn't worth living in for more than 70-90 years.

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
The Rogue Wolf said:
Watching the grey hairs sprout up, feeling my damaged knee complain now and then... I have to say that Option 4 looks more and more appealing.

[small](And no, I've never taken an arrow to any part of my anatomy, thanks for asking.)[/small]
Wouldn't dream of asking. That joke was beaten to death the same day it was invented.

Regardless, I feel somewhat compelled to mention that completely reversing the effects of old age and other sources of tissue damage should be quite possible without moving beyond Option 2. Immortality may or may not be possible that way, but being physically comparable to a extraordinarily healthy twenty five year old at the age of 150? easy

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
is there an option for people who don't think having any native human biomass is no longer important at option 5 if full memory transference is an option, but consider the human form still useful enough that they aren't going to start going full tentacle like 6 implies

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
TheUsername0131 said:
I would be able to play chess by myself more effectively. Also I'll require purchasing an additional toothbrush, bus ticket, and I'll be occupying two bus seats, to the annoyance of other commuters. My food intake would be doubled. Also I'll be developing asynchronous developmental disorders relating to hyper-lateralization of brain function. I shall call it Doppelgänger Dissociation.

You'd think the hairdressing costs would double but no. I'll be able to cut my own hair now.
Here's what I asked:
Char-Nobyl said:
"That leads me to the followup question: if you fail to vanish when your clone is created, then is he 'you' only by your death and disappearance?"
Your response as quoted above didn't answer any part of that question.

Moloch Sacrifice

Aug 9, 2013
Heronblade said:
A being of raw energy would have the issues I speak of. Right now, your thought patterns are guided by a physical web, your senses are limited to what your nervous system is designed to detect, and your sense of the passage of time is likewise determined. Getting rid of that framework entirely will inevitably lead to massive changes in perspective and personality.
Again, I don't know if I speak for anyone else, but what you describe is exactly what I'm after. Having a physical human form, with all the carry overs and primitive survival instincts, is counterproductive to pure, completely rational and unbiased thought. I don't want my life goals to be manipulated by a desire to procreate; even in a modern society, the instincts that helped our ancestors survive are already becoming more and more burdensome and irrelevant. To find a release from that, and find a greater sense of perspective that is beyond my current, primitive cognitive power, is an offer I simply cannot turn down.

TheUsername0131

Mar 1, 2012
Char-Nobyl said:
TheUsername0131 said:
I would be able to play chess by myself more effectively. Also I'll require purchasing an additional toothbrush, bus ticket, and I'll be occupying two bus seats, to the annoyance of other commuters. My food intake would be doubled. Also I'll be developing asynchronous developmental disorders relating to hyper-lateralization of brain function. I shall call it Doppelgänger Dissociation.

You'd think the hairdressing costs would double but no. I'll be able to cut my own hair now.
Here's what I asked:
Char-Nobyl said:
"That leads me to the followup question: if you fail to vanish when your clone is created, then is he 'you' only by your death and disappearance?"
Your response as quoted above didn't answer any part of that question.
If you have read my not very subtle response, you would garner that I am implying they would both be me.

Your response as quoted above doesn?t acknowledge that.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
I'd be down for pretty much anything as long as it didn't replace my memories or inhibit my ability to feel, so I'd say 4, just to be safe.

I'd also rather still appear human, if only because social interaction would be made easier.

I'm not against neurological enhancements, so long as they don't change who I am on a fundamental level. If I could just upload Kung Fu or hacking expertise into my brain, I would totally do it.

P.S: I can keep my junk, right?

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
I'd sooner become superhuman, but remain quite definitely human, than turn into something else entirely. Option 3 would be about the level I'd be comfortable with. Plus I wouldn't want to look like a robot, it would need to all be convincing prostheses.

Presumably option 4 would involve losing my junk? If so, fuck that. If not, sign me up.

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
Moloch Sacrifice said:
Heronblade said:
Again, I don't know if I speak for anyone else, but what you describe is exactly what I'm after. Having a physical human form, with all the carry overs and primitive survival instincts, is counterproductive to pure, completely rational and unbiased thought. I don't want my life goals to be manipulated by a desire to procreate; even in a modern society, the instincts that helped our ancestors survive are already becoming more and more burdensome and irrelevant. To find a release from that, and find a greater sense of perspective that is beyond my current, primitive cognitive power, is an offer I simply cannot turn down.
What makes you think that a being of that sort would have a more objective perspective? Or that it would not have its own personal concerns, grievances, and other petty issues? You seem to be imagining becoming a being of immense knowledge and wisdom when it could just as easily be a bastard who commits genocide simply to stop the voice of Miley Cyrus from singing on the same frequency as some of his thought patterns.

My point is that there will be drastic changes to your psyche, and no one can possibly know how fundamental those changes will be.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I wouldn't mind getting my eyes replaced with mechanical equivalents because my natural eyes suck.
lacktheknack said:
Insert terrified rambling about inequality of humans and post-humans here.
I also have to second this. Overall the concept of transhumanism scares me. After all we've already got a great disparity between the have and have nots now. I've spent most of my life envying those who could do things that I could never do. No matter how hard I study I'll never be a nuclear physicist, no matter how hard I train I'll never be an Olympic class athlete. I'd hate to think what would happen when you added transhumanism into the mix. You'd then have the haves, the have nots, and the completely fucked.

HalfTangible

Apr 13, 2011
I'm not sure if I'd augment at all. There'd always be thing nagging reminder in the back of my head not only of the Cybermen from Doctor Who, but that the surgeries would be largely irreversible. And surgery really don't strike me as something you should do 'just because'. (maybe my nose that can't smell anything, or something to let me type by thought, but other than that)

If I did augment though... I'd probably go right up until the brain and nervous system's replacement and full stop. It'd really depend on how reliable the augments are, though, and I'd do it slowly as my body parts got close to failing, instead of all at once, and ask for pain receptors so I can maintain empathy. And theological implications/soul aside, if your brain is augmented to the degree that you're basically an AI, who's to say someone couldn't reprogram you?

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
I'll stick with 3 for a while, but I'd gladly go full cyborg after a while. Especially if it lets me download my mind to become immortal.

Moloch Sacrifice

Aug 9, 2013
Heronblade said:
Moloch Sacrifice said:
Heronblade said:
What makes you think that a being of that sort would have a more objective perspective? Or that it would not have its own personal concerns, grievances, and other petty issues? You seem to be imagining becoming a being of immense knowledge and wisdom when it could just as easily be a bastard who commits genocide simply to stop the voice of Miley Cyrus from singing on the same frequency as some of his thought patterns.

My point is that there will be drastic changes to your psyche, and no one can possibly know how fundamental those changes will be.
I agree, there will be an element of unpredictability involved. However, when new technology is developed, the creators are at least fairly certain what the end result will be. I find it highly questionable that a technology will be developed that achieves the vague goal of 'becoming a higher intelligence' without knowing what the specifics of that would entail.

Besides which, we have to assume we know something about what 6 involves, otherwise it becomes a completely inviable option, and completely disregards the trend of the previous five (i.e. an increase in number represents an increase in ability, with a corresponding decrease in biological and psychological humanity) in having a potentially random result.

My point was not that as a higher being one would not have personal concerns and issues, merely that one would be divorced from such issues that affect on a human scale.

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
Wh-... No brain uploading?! What kind of string-budget transhumanism are we aiming for here? You could have a body of synthetic diamond and still operate much like a ye-olde-meat-sack, but once you're a digital entity, that's when the real fun begins.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
I'll take the JC Denton Nanoaugments, please. I'll settle for the Adam Jensen package, though. I did ask for this.

That said, with proven tech, I'm all aboard the cyberbrain train.