Poll: Ultimate Sacrifice

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Probably. I don't think I am more important than the happiness of every other person.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
I'd love to say yes, but I can't.
I'm too selfish.
The very thought of being alone scares me more than anything else.
Sorry guys, I just couldn't.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
Noone can see me, or notice me in any way, so i can sneak into playboy mansion or whereever...
Can i stil uhm... "interact" with myself?
And totaly unrelated, can i bring spectral pen and paper? i like drawing.

Nekkie

Jun 15, 2011
And how long before you solving world hunger would it take for someone to decide that he deserves more food than the other, how long after all the wars have ended would someone decide that those people who don't believe in wathever thing he believes are wrong and should be brought to "justice".

Unless solving all those problems would mean erasing them along with you no problem would be solved.

People are evil, a person can be genuinly good or downright bad but once person turns into people things like war and famine happen.Its easy to forget that people are dying out of hunger for your wellbeing on another part of the world if everyone around you is doing fine.

Not that "solving" all those problems wouldn't help a lot of people but that those people would cause the same problems again anyways.

So no i wouldn't since because of all of this i can't find myself to care about that kid that's dying of hunger in africa nor do i care about that rich white girl with her first world problems. That might seem blunt but nearly all of you don't care either untill it comes up in a charity commercial or a forum pust like this only to forget about it it five minutes later.

Asmundr

Mar 17, 2010
No.

Now don't get me wrong I'd sacrifice myself for a lot of things. (Yay! Self depreciation! lol)
But in my honest opinion our faults are what make us Human. War, famine, sadness, etc. and etc. are driving forces behind great acts of compassion and good. Without those why would you have to be good? If my sacrifice solves those problems of crime and poverty, etc. then what becomes of the world when their is no evil?

It'd be a soulless world. A perfect world. No good. No evil. Nothing.

Sure everyone would be happy and their be no war or suffering but, the world would have no soul. It would simply exist.

The ills and problems of the world stem from Humanities failures and faults. As long as they exist mankind will continue to better itself. Trying to reach perfection is far better than attaining it.

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
Only if everyone was able to remember me as the guy who solved everything if i was erased and not remembered for that I wouldn't do it. so Yes so long as people remember me as the guy who solved wars and stuff :)

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
ZephyrFireStrom said:
Mylinkay Asdara said:
Without picking your example apart for all the bits that don't make sense, and sticking to the spirit of what you're asking: yes. I'm not so into myself that I would prefer my own pleasures of life to the good of the greater world.
For the greater good of what? These humans are worth jack. The majority of them are unoriginal clones that flock to the next best thing, that best thing being something entirely irrelevent. What good there is left in the world is dwindling, hanging by a thread, vastly out numbered by the corrupted. There isn't enough good on the planet to stop the spread of corruption. To prolong the human race is to doom the universe.
I didn't use the term "greater good" - which I point out only because you took the time to quote me. I said "good of the greater world" as in the mass of people much larger than my one life benefitting from the act (their good).

Also, not a cheery outlook you have there. Can't say I blame you what with all that's going on in the world, but there's still quite a lot of wonderful offerings that human beings make each and every day to both the species as a whole and the world at large. Comprehension of Universe, such as it is, was made possible by such. Language. A base of knowledge that facilitates this argument. The list goes on. Saying we're "worth jack" is... a bit ridiculous.

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
Funny, because I've wondered about this myself. Yes, I would do it considering I don't find much value in myself and it'll do more than a world of good.

InfiniteSingularity

Apr 9, 2010
I was considering it until I read this
AccursedTheory said:
Would I erase myself from history to rob every single person on the planet of their free will?

That's not an ultimate sacrifice, thats the biggest dick move ever conceived. Made even worse since you wouldn't exist anymore, and no one would have anyone to blame for the lose of free will (And they couldn't play the blame game anyway, since that requires a little bit of self interest).
And you've got to remember that there is no way to stop it. You could hypothetically say that all the worlds problems are gone, but really, how is that possible? War, famine, and all that shit is caused by people screwing other people over. So even if you do make this ultimate sacrifice, at some point people will start to screw other people over again. Unless you're taking away their free will. Which is fucked.

Also, I think "crime" is a very one sided notion. 'Crime' is only 'against the law' - it's not inherently 'bad'. I think some crimes should be committed more often. So I wouldn't agree with that aspect of what you're saying as well.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
krazykidd said:
Then sacrificing yourself for recongnition from others is ideal. Hate to break it to you but, once you die you will eventually be forgotten , unless you do something incredibly bad ( hitler ) or incredibly good ( mother theresa ) . Either way once your dead you won't know because , well , your dead .
Not what I meant. Clearly. OP said erased. As in, never existed. As in, no recognition. Nevertheless, I'd probably not sacrifice myself simply for recognition, as I gain nothing from it, as I also said. Oblivion, nothingness, not even the conscious appreciation of nothingness, is one thing which I think of as completely undesirable, though I expect it as a part and parcel of life. What I'm saying is, you make the world a better place, but at the same time, you remove it completely from your enjoyment, which is about a textbook case of a phyrric victory as could exist.
The point I was making, was that some sacrifices may be worth it, but it's a balance. If I had to die, I'd rather sacrifice myself to help people I cared about rather than the entirety of humanity. Moreover, I'd rather not die at all. Also, do some reading, Mother Theresa was not particularly... the nicest of people. Think more Hannibal Lecter than Jesus Christ.

Didn't anyone ever tell you it is rude to presume to understand someone's personal opinion without knowing that you are of the same, and understanding that opinion entirely, and trying to correct them on it? Presuming to know me, and my thoughts on sacrifice from one post is rude, although, at least that gives me a good indicator of who you are.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
No. I'm sorry but I can't.

My life matters more to me than the lives of just about everybody. Dying is bad enough but then I'd just be in some horrible limbo. Alone, lonely and slowly fading away.

Plus I wouldn't even be able to experience the joys of such a world and no one would remember me or knew I ever existed?

Nope. No way in Hades. I'm sure in the end, I'd regret. Maybe not right away but I'd regret it.

Irriduccibilli

Jun 15, 2010
I would do it. It wouldn't be so bad since you actually get to see the difference, it would be tougher if you didn't... Also, womens locker room anyone?

A.A.K

Mar 7, 2009
ZephyrFireStrom said:
For the greater good of what? These humans are worth jack. The majority of them are unoriginal clones that flock to the next best thing, that best thing being something entirely irrelevent. What good there is left in the world is dwindling, hanging by a thread, vastly out numbered by the corrupted. There isn't enough good on the planet to stop the spread of corruption. To prolong the human race is to doom the universe.
Something like this and what the other guy said....but that's a really crass way to put it.
Personally, I wouldn't do it because I believe that the world NEEDS war, crime, famine and all that.
Gives the world balance. For every good, there must be evil...

A.A.K

Mar 7, 2009
MasterOfHisOwnDomain said:
ThreeWords said:
No, I would not. Suffering makes people strong, and not just in terms of physical power.

Without evil there is no such thing as a good man.
As eloquent as that sounds, try telling that to children suffering from malnutrition, widows and mothers who have to grieve over husbands and sons lost in pointless wars, people who lose relatives to diseases and incurable illnesses. There's so much shit in this world, and if we don't work towards ending it then what exactly is our purpose?
I wish I saw this before making my prior post BUT..yea this...and MasterOfHisOwnDomain, that's pretty much it. If you stop trying to fix things, bad stuff wins. If you keep trying, you'll keep the cycle rolling. Bad stuff, good stuff, bad stuff, good stuff....and try not to tell the starving children and widows....They don't take the news too well.

To everyone who saw the double post, yes I'm having a daoist moment, and yes I wish I saw this comment so it wouldn't have to post again.

Sordak

Oct 5, 2010
all problems solved?

first: the world doesnt work like that

secondly: only if those people that dont deserve it die first

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
I would say yes, I would sacrifice myself any day for the whole world, Ill go out by saying "Goodbye world, you have been good to me, this is my last gift..." I would say that and disappear from the worlds view.

As I walk the streets I would probably laugh, cry and everything else. Ill laugh at the good I have done and say it was for the greater good, eventually I will die, and when I do I would know that is my greatest achievement and everyone will know it when they die too.

Hedonist

Jun 22, 2011
I'm a pretty selfish dude, so the way I see it, the world doesn't exist if I'm not there to experience it. That may sound kind of fucked up, but once I'm dead, nothing matters anymore.

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
well i believe that for humanity to get stronger it needs to go through these hard times of war and famine to become better. But another part of me wants to watch them suffer and die from either War or Famine.

But we can't really even get rid of War because as long as there are men there will be wars.

so the choice for me is do you i sacrifice myself for the greater good and stay as a being that just watches? or don't sacrifice myself and watch the world slowly eat away at it self?

either way ill be watching but then again im a watcher. i feel like if i sacrifice myself i won't stop the ever looming threat of Human extinction, but i would like to watch the world crumple in front of me.

hrmmm i guess i would rather be forgot anyway i would sacrifice myself for the greater good

as much as it pains me to say it

Squeaky

Mar 6, 2010
The amount of mistakes iv made its probly better off if i didnt excist if :) so hell yeh id do it and id get to stroll were ever I like might get bored at some point but eh would talk a long long time.