Poll: Ultimate Sacrifice

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
DEATHROAD said:
Everything you've ever done wont ever have happened and everyone who knew you would instantly forget you ever existed and to make matters better or worse depending on your outlook, you are still alive, but no one can see you or hear you, You can't intereact with anything or anyone
HELL YES!

Wait, what else was in the offer?
DEATHROAD said:
Every single problem in the world today (War, Famine etc) will be solved over night
Aww, there's always a catch!

DEATHROAD

May 14, 2008
Shoqiyqa said:
DEATHROAD said:
This confuses me, In what way did i imply in my OP that humans wouldn't survive? i never said they would survive granted, but i didnt really need too as that had nothing to do with the question, can you elaborate please? (Also apologies in advance if ive compleatly misunderstood your post)
You didn't say whether they'd survive or not. The offer was rather vague. As a couple of others have posted, exactly how it's achieved isn't made clear. However it is done, it's got to be something far too monumental to be a decision anyone should make without knowing the details. All of humanity being wiped out, leaving me as a lonely ghost, is one way. Magic angels altering people's minds and making food grow is another. Time-stream warping to move people around to where they'll all be happy, fed and at peace is another. Given a few days on this forum, this thread could probably generate a dozen more. Without knowing which it would be, I feel unqualified to make the decision.
Does it really matter how its done? If it makes it easier, a wizzard did it. This wasen't a trick question with some loop hole, i was simply asking weather you would make the sacrifice or not lol.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Hell no. Solving problems is character-building. And I like living. I dare anyone to come up with a good for reason for me to give up my life so other people won't have any problems.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
No more war, famine or crimes?
No, I wouldn't do it. We need those things to keep the population under control. It's already getting out of hand!

Shoqiyqa

Mar 31, 2009
DanielBrown said:
No, I wouldn't do it. We need those things to keep the population under control. It's already getting out of hand!
That was kind of my point at the top of the page. "A wizard did it," eh? Did he sterilise or delibidinise much of the population, then?

If it wasn't for the "overnight" thing there'd be questions about timescale, too. A thousand years from now, nobody's going to remember me anyway ... and if it was going to take that long, there'd be a lot of ways to end famine and war without just casting Mass Dispel Humanoid.

Nathan Crumpler

Sep 1, 2011
DanielBrown said:
I think what the thread creator is getting at is all problems will be solved. The idea of overpopulation wouldn't exist because there would be enough space, food, shelter, etc... for every one.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Loonyyy said:
If you don't exist, it doesn't do you any good. It's oblivion, and that seems like the worst place to condemn yourself for people who will never know of your sacrifice, especially if you never capitalise on it.
Then sacrificing yourself for recongnition from others is ideal. Hate to break it to you but, once you die you will eventually be forgotten , unless you do something incredibly bad ( hitler ) or incredibly good ( mother theresa ) . Either way once your dead you won't know because , well , your dead .

OT : i'd would not do it . I don't know if anyone played SMT : Nocturn or strange journey , but basically complete order is a life of slavery , where as complet chaos is freedom ( where the strong survives and the weak dies ). But complet order ( which is what OP is talking about i think ) basically makes humans souless . You cannot know joy without pain nor live life without the existance of death . Taking away freedom of choice is not what life is about . With freedom of choice , pain and suffering will inevitably exist , unless everyone makes a " conscient " effort to be and do ( which is basically the base of most religions and why heaven is suppose to be the gate for only the good to ensure evil never returns, because we made the conscient decision to be good and thus not a life of slavery due to choice ). Sorry i got away from the topic for a minute . So no i wouldn't do it , ill leave freedom of choice.

DEATHROAD

May 14, 2008
Shoqiyqa said:
DanielBrown said:
That was kind of my point at the top of the page. "A wizard did it," eh? Did he sterilise or delibidinise much of the population, then?

If it wasn't for the "overnight" thing there'd be questions about timescale, too. A thousand years from now, nobody's going to remember me anyway ... and if it was going to take that long, there'd be a lot of ways to end famine and war without just casting Mass Dispel Humanoid.
Nathan Crumpler said:
DanielBrown said:
I think what the thread creator is getting at is all problems will be solved. The idea of overpopulation wouldn't exist because there would be enough space, food, shelter, etc... for every one.
Top quote read bottom quote, it pretty much sumarises what im getting at.

I really wish people would stop picking apart my question for loopholes and breaks in logic and just answer it, if you cant answer it then good, its meant to be a hard question that has you thinking, but logic really stops applying early on in the question, yes, "A wizard did it" isn't a great reason, but the reason isn't important at all, its a hypothetical question. I gave you the terms and your supposed to decide what you would do were they possible.

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
DEATHROAD said:
Every single problem in the world today (War, Famine etc) will be solved over night, no one will ever be unhappy again
have you ever been to hell?
sounds like it : O

no, I will not sacrifice myself for the nightmare the world would become. (and what the rest of us would make of it)
and for the american mind: it would also take away our freedom, etc..

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
To me this is a no-brainer. 'Make world better place and watch it happen' or shrug and walk away. No real sacrifice. But if you had phrased this question like this.

'Do you sacrifice yourself in a grand gesture that makes the world realize that all this in-fighting over the many varied reasons is worthless or do you take an opportunity to set yourself up for life where you will never have to need or want anything again?'

That would be an excellent conundrum more than yours IMO. I would do the whole sacrifice thing for your question but mine...?

Jnat

Feb 1, 2010
I think I would do it, I haven't really achieved anything anyway.

DEATHROAD

May 14, 2008
VoidWanderer said:
To me this is a no-brainer. 'Make world better place and watch it happen' or shrug and walk away. No real sacrifice. But if you had phrased this question like this.

'Do you sacrifice yourself in a grand gesture that makes the world realize that all this in-fighting over the many varied reasons is worthless or do you take an opportunity to set yourself up for life where you will never have to need or want anything again?'

That would be an excellent conundrum more than yours IMO. I would do the whole sacrifice thing for your question but mine...?
It all depends on outlook, as I said in my original post I really dont want to die, and being erased is worse then death to me, so its a hard choice, for me atleast, your question IS really good though, Still dont think id want to die, for anything.

ThreeWords

Feb 27, 2009
No, I would not. Suffering makes people strong, and not just in terms of physical power.

Without evil there is no such thing as a good man.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
no, the world has to fix it,s own problems and I would hate to see my sacrifice getting inevitably undone by a few asshats.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
can't say I'd expect people to remember me all that much after I'm gone, so I might be down with it...maybe.

Feb 28, 2008
To think of the suffering that people would continue to endure because I'm too selfish to sacrifice my life would torment me forever anyway - what kind of life would that be?