Poll: Usernames

initialdelay

Sep 29, 2009
A username can be many things to many people. Some use it to make a tongue-in-cheek comment to others. Some use it to create an air of mystery. Some even use their own names!

I've noticed over the years spent in 'cyberspace' that people seem to have changed how they personally view their own username. I myself used 'initialdelay' when creating an account for I can't remember what, and have stuck with it ever since. What it means to me, I'm not sure, but I think I meant to convey that I was hesitant or reluctant to join at first.

Anyway, the question I guess is as the poll states, but also this - why did you choose your particular username?

And in case anyone's ready to complain that this has been done before, I carried out two searches with no results.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
I swear I've seen this before...
*sigh*
My user name was based of a boss in my favorite JRPG of all time Tales of Symphonia. I found him difficult to defeat, so I decided it would be nice for a gamertag. Which I have used since. And that just cared over to being my username for just about everything

APPCRASH

Mar 30, 2009
I normally just use my first name. Since all variants of it were taken here, I just picked whatever came to mind first.

grimsprice

Jun 28, 2009
Usernames are a thousand times less helpful in identifying the user than the actual image. Which is why i don't remember the names of half the avatars i remember.

Timotei

The Return of T-Bomb
Apr 21, 2009
What you could consider me. I happen to have a red and green eye so i though Suiseiseki In Real Life would be a nice name.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
I had just watched Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny.

It had the sasquatch scene.

That's about it really, apart from the 99, normal sasquatch was taken.

EDIT: I use it as an online personality. And also my real name sucks ass.

Kalas92

Jun 30, 2009
My user name is the hero from my favorite JRPG Baten Kaitos. And I could relate to him as a sarcastic asshole. The 92 is my birth year.

initialdelay

Sep 29, 2009
grimsprice said:
Usernames are a thousand times less helpful in identifying the user than the actual image. Which is why i don't remember the names of half the avatars i remember.
Well yes, human beings are naturally adapted to recognise faces. But avatars? I can name several people on the Escapist who've posted threads I thought were noteworthy, but I couldn't tell you what their avatars were. Plus a username could be argued to be more important as it is pretty much there to stay, while an avatar can be changed at will

Asciotes

Jul 24, 2009
Kuchinawa212 said:
I swear I've seen this before...
*sigh*
My user name was based of a boss in my favorite JRPG of all time Tales of Symphonia. I found him difficult to defeat, so I decided it would be nice for a gamertag. Which I have used since. And that just cared over to being my username for just about everything
When I read this I read it with a disdained expression, as if you had just finished explain it someone when someone else comes over and says "What?" and then the same thing happens again when you finish epxplaining it to the last guy, so at this point you're sick of repeating yourself.

For me, it just popped into my head.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
I invented the phrase Inverse Skies in graphics in year 9 by simply taking a picture of a mountain range and turning it upside down. I also happened to love the name and its become my user name ever since.

Godavari

Aug 6, 2009
I just chose my name because it sounded cool. The Godavari is a river in India, for those of you who are curious.
A username is basically the same as a real name, except that you get to choose it and you can still remain anonymous when giving it out.

Axle_Bullitt_19

May 29, 2009
Well mine is a combination of the main characters names of my two favorite detective movies, and my favorite hockey player number.
Axle=Axle Foley:Beverly Hills Cop
Bullitt=Frank Bullitt:Bullitt
19=Steve Yzerman

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
My username is usually my name (or half of it), but sometimes I use the following:

Virtual Boy, Triggernometry, (Name of the site or game I'm on to look like a noob), Chris Hansen.

leprecron

Apr 16, 2009
Combination of my Irish heritage and school pride(fighting Irish). Was originally lepercron but a friend pointed out that it sounded like i had leprosy so i changed it to leprecron.

ArcWinter

May 9, 2009
Well, I have two usernames: ArcWinter, which is the one I normally use, and my backup one, Rising Cairn. I chose ArcWinter which refers to Norse mythology, which is badass(Fimbulwinter). I chose Rising Cairn because it refers to zombie mages, which are badass. However, ArcWinter first started as the name of one of my multiple personalities.

It still is.