Poll: Using exploits in games, Cheating?

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
I agree with David Sirlin. Punishing players for using exploits is arbitrary, because the line between exploits and smart play is itself arbitrary. Is it wrong to find a safe spot from which you can kill monsters? Some might think you should not have that advantage. Others might say that weak AI is a fundamental aspect of games and taking advantage of its' stupidity was normal. Take it too far and players will be generally afraid of playing smart for fear of being banned for bug abuse.

I think rather than banning people for using exploits, it would be better to offer a large sum of real money to any player who told them about a serious game breaking bug and kept it quiet until it was patched.

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
I say BAN THEM, for they are the more evil of our fair circle known to others as "Gamers" and our order can NOT stand for such deception and dishonorable tactics and decisions. They must be castrated, they must be tarred and feathered, and most importantly of all, they must have their power lines CUT.

"Other" is a NECESSARY poll option, else it requires me to type this out.

Drexlor

Feb 23, 2010
I think that it could easily be considered cheating but I don't think that you should be permabanned for using a flaw that was already in the game to your advantage. Maybe a short suspension until the bug is fixed or even just a warning. The big problem is that the flaws exist and I think that by banning anyone who uses them is just the developer taking the easy way out, rather than fixing the problem.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
gmaverick019 said:
true, and yeah i would say that is fair in your opinion, i do hate the hitbox glitch mixed with bunnyhops
That's why a "lighter" punishment (removal of certain items and reduced XP rates for a month or two) is more suitable than a ban.

One thing is a exploit that has it's roots in the game engine itself, so it's only a "feature" and everyone can try to replicate it. It made Quake matches harder and jump servers in CoD2 way more fun.

Other thing is an exploit based on some kind of mistake made by the devs and use it in a way it was never intended to be used.

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
exploits are not the same thing as cheating, but they have the same impact on the community, much like griefing.

if you choose to do something that is knowingly against the spirit of the game and which reduces the enjoyment of your fellow gamers, then that's wrong....whether it's called cheating/hacking/griefing/exploiting is a matter of technique, not of morality or justifiability.

exploits are definitely in a grayer area of this concept than straight-up hacking, and because of that it's harder to come up with proper ways to handle it. personally I think it comes down to the community to enforce these kind of things themselves...something along the line of house/server rules.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
If you're exploiting a known glitch, that is cheating. UNLESS! It's known by the developer and they decide to leave it in. Double Shot/Quad Shot in Halo 2 for example. Yes, it's a glitch. But it became so ingrained in the community, and improved the skill cap of the game so much, that they left it in.

Getting under the map or something like that though, fucking ban those douche bags already. Tired of it.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Delsana said:
I say BAN THEM, for they are the more evil of our fair circle known to others as "Gamers" and our order can NOT stand for such deception and dishonorable tactics and decisions. They must be castrated, they must be tarred and feathered, and most importantly of all, they must have their power lines CUT.

Why do you need an 'other' option? From what you said I thought you would be catered for with option A:. If I had put an 'other' option would you not still have had to have written what your opinion was since other could mean anything, so you still would have had to have written as much as you did....

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
ph0b0s123 said:
Delsana said:

Why do you need an 'other' option? From what you said I thought you would be catered for with option A:. If I had put an 'other' option would you not still have had to have written what your opinion was since other could mean anything, so you still would have had to have written as much as you did....
Because Ban was not serious enough, excessive and equal punishment was necessary.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Delsana said:
ph0b0s123 said:
Delsana said:

Because Ban was not serious enough, excessive and equal punishment was necessary.
Completely disagree with you, but your option of harsher punishment being deserved is now an option that can be voted on...

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
MetallicaRulez0 said:
If you're exploiting a known glitch, that is cheating. UNLESS! It's known by the developer and they decide to leave it in. Double Shot/Quad Shot in Halo 2 for example. Yes, it's a glitch. But it became so ingrained in the community, and improved the skill cap of the game so much, that they left it in.

Getting under the map or something like that though, fucking ban those douche bags already. Tired of it.
So how would those people initially using the "Double Shot/Quad Shot" in Halo 2 know if they using a banning exploit or one that was going to be embraced by the community. This is the whole problem with painting all exploits as needing punishment and trying to get gamers to go against one of the basic things a gamer does, in trying to push a virtual worlds limits.

Gaming becomes lesser due to this, with more pressure to conform in play strategy rather than being creative. I for one am not impressed with the way things are going. As long as people who are the sheep of the gaming world are happy though then it is aright.

Tommeh Brownleh

May 26, 2011
It's not cheating. It's using a glitch to your advantage. In MW3 I use a glitch with the Sleight of Hand perk and Hybrid Sight to make the flip up time faster. I don't know any, but it's saved my life a couple of times.