Poll: Violence is never the answer

Xeros

Aug 13, 2008
Your poll question is backwards. "Violence is never the answer. Do you agree with this statement? Yes, violence is always the answer/Yes, violence is sometimes the answer."

OT: It's not my first response, but it is a viable second, or third, and so on depending on my options.

EDIT:
s0denone said:
Fix your poll.
"Do you agree with above statement?" ("Violence is never the answer")
"Yes. Violence is always the answer."

Get it done, padawan.
Damn, beaten to it.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Violence is quite frequently the answer, despite what out pansy society tells us.

If a woman calls the police on her husband for laying hands on her, he'll come back. If she calls her good friend in to beat the shit out of him with a crowbar, life returns to normal niceties.

hey... I have a crowbar!

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
It can be an answer given the situation. Someone actively trying to kill/hurt you? Yeah, I think only violence can solve that problem.

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
Professor James said:
do you think violence is never the answer, or think some instances can be solved with violence.
your title and your opening post don't mesh well with you poll question.

OT: sometimes yes, sometimes no.

lasting_Child

Aug 31, 2008
*Shrugs* The thing is that almost all the context related stuff is when someone else is using violence as the only answer. If EVERYONE abided by the law of "violence in never the answer" then violence would never be THE answer, AN answer yes, but that's like saying throwing a plate of spaghetti on your homework is ONE WAY of doing it... But it's a terrible way and just leads to more troubles down the line.

So yes, violence is AN answer, but it's never THE answer.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Depends. What is the question?

That is how Q and A is supposed to work right? They didn't change the rules since I graduated did they?

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
DeadlyYellow said:
I believe context is the answer.
Probably. Certainly an answer at times, if not the best.

That said, I'm a pacifist on a personal level. Even when, say, getting stabbed. Didn't serve me too well. I stick with it, sure, but I acknowledge that I'm being stupid.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
rokkolpo said:
Most things are solved by violence, we're humans.

It's what we do best.
It's the only thing we know how to do, it seems.

I don't believe on using violence for any reason other than if someone is using a lot of violence against me.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I am reminded of a joke. "Violence is like duct tape; if it's not working, you aren't using enough."

But no, people who say "violence is never the answer" are wrong. For example, if I'm stuck in some dark back-alley with a guy who wants to cut me up with a knife, and I have a gun, then the answer is to shoot this bastard before he stabs me. Not "Hey, can we talk about this?" while he's lunging at me.

lasting_Child

Aug 31, 2008
Jaranja said:
rokkolpo said:

It's what we do best.

I don't believe on using violence for any reason other than if someone is using a lot of violence against me.
Yeah, but if violence was never the answer, no one would have any reason to be using a lot of violence on you in the first place.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Violence can be the answer in certain situations. For example, I'm a pacifist, until you attack me. Then all bets are off.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
lasting_Child said:
Jaranja said:
rokkolpo said:

It's what we do best.

Yeah, but if violence was never the answer, no one would have any reason to be using a lot of violence on you in the first place.
Whether or not violence is the answer will be different for each person. There will always be pacifists and there will always be warmongers.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
It can be in life or death situations, Violence leads to violence you can't meet violence with peace and love, because you will get the ever loving shit beat out of you trying to be the bigger man.

Take the movie unthinkable for example At the end they were the bigger people not resorting to harsh violence, by saving the terrorists kids from extreme torture. As a direct result they did not find the fourth bomb, and thousands to millions died when the city got nuked, including the kids, and everyone else I believe. Now they went with the nonviolent high ground and ended up paying for it. It's better to survive than be right, kill or be killed, history is written by the victors while dead men tell no tales.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Aby_Z said:
Violence is always an answer. Nothing more, nothing less.
Son of a fuck, that is close to mine.

Violence is always an answer, not always the answer.

As in, it's always an option, just not always the best one for the situation at hand.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
I don't know. Depends on the question. For example, "What is something featured heavily in Mature video games and a subject of controversy?" in that case, then, yes, violence is an answer.

I wouldn't advise punching someone over it though.

Hader

Jul 7, 2010
Nothing can ever be a universal solution to anything. Violence will never be something that solves <everything[/I], nor will it never not be an option in any situation. One should never take something so generally, if you are ever thinking "is violence the answer?" then you are in a situation that requires special treatment and not the application of some bis, generalized idea. It should always be taken on a case by case basis.

bak00777

Oct 3, 2009
what if some one asks you a question like: What does V-I-O-L-E-N-C-E spell? Then it technically is the answer.

Oh and sometimes if the leader of a country is batshit crazy and says he will do something to another country, and if its obvious that his mind is made up, then violence might be the answer.

AK47Marine

Aug 29, 2009
moretimethansense said:
That is a good looking fence lol

"If it is a choice between violence and cowardice I choose violence"
-Ghandi (Paraphrased)

Violence isn't sometimes just a potential answer but the only viable answer, questions like the thread starter are so vague as to the point of being almost useless. There are so many factors and details that go in to a question on the necessity of the use of force in any given situation that immediately discounting or choosing force from the outset is a poor choice to make. That said meeting the guy mugging you or the person in the back alley about to rape you with an appeal to their better natures and a rousing rendition of "Kumbaya" is a good way to get killed, so switching to a violent path sooner rather then later sounds like a healthy plant to me.