Poll: WASD or Arrow Keys?

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
Caramel Frappe said:
retyopy said:
Caramel Frappe said:
I use arrow keys.. but that makes me feel sort of um.. 'noobish' in a sense, but I do much better with it. Probably because of how I am use to playing most PC games, where the keys back then were based on the arrow keys, and clicking your mouse a lot (haha).
Why does it make you feel "noobish?"
Meh, probably because I could do more if I took the time to learn how to do WASD keys instead. That way, I would also note how to do the extra functions like in Team Fortress 2 since a lot of commands are close to the WASD keys.
Extra Functions? Hmmm? What are these functions you speak of?

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
SirBryghtside said:
cathou said:
SirBryghtside said:
Huh? BioShock has customisable controls, and starts with WASD...
the french version of bioshock use what is suppose to be a wasd sheme, but use the AZERTY french keyboard (so zqsd), and since i'm in north america and i use a QWERTY keyboard, my keys are not at the right space. And i guess it's a bug in the french version, but the movement keys are locked, and i cannot changed them, because the game is telling me that the w and a keys are reserved.
Wow, that sucks... but why did you get the French version anyway?
Because I'm French ?

Anyway, the wasp keys make more sense to use the other hot keys easily. However i must admit that in a game that use really few hotkeys, or even better if I can map then on my mouse button (which have 5) I prefer the arrows

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
viranimus said:
Bah! Luddites. I use this now Catch up to the world people

In all seriousness 98% of the time I choose neither and select 360 gamepad, even if it means extensive work on remapping the controls and finding the right fit through xpad.

But, in the rare occuasion when I have no other choice, it would be arrows, and having to remap the hotkeys to half the numpad the pg control keys, right controlenter, etc. For me having extensive MMO background it is illogical to cover the "chat" keys with commands. Plus I am not fond of having to either hover your hand over the keyboard or rest the palm of it on something movable such as the keyboard itself. So yeah not fond of WASD at all.
How the hell do you use that.....thing

Slinker07

Jan 14, 2009
retyopy said:
gigastrike said:
What about ESDF?

I use the arrow keys normally, and WASD for anything that has a hotbar that is longer than 6.
ESDF? Eh, I've never seen it done, but it feels sort of awkward, just trying it out.
Tribes 2 did this, worked quite well. It was a game that used a big bunch of the bottons from the keyboard. And I think the idea was with ESDF to moveing the hand around the keyboard a bit more comfy.

Mar 9, 2010
gigastrike said:
What about ESDF?

I use the arrow keys normally, and WASD for anything that has a hotbar that is longer than 6.
ESDF? What is this madness?

OT: I use WASD for games that require a mouse or right hand side keys, I use arrow keys for games that require left hand side keys and no mouse.

That way, I can have complete control at the swift movement of my fingers.

Nov 28, 2010
I always used to customise controls to the arrow keys, but after reinstalling a handful of games that broke while I was upgrading my rig I tried it out with WASD and haven't looked back since.

Bad Cluster

Nov 22, 2009
Been using ESDF ever since I had to switch from arrow keys once I laid my hands on Quake 15 years ago.

Its a hassle to reconfigure controls with every game, but I could never understand why WASD is used instead. You have much better reach for keys with ESDF, 8 extra keys to use and you still can easily reach for Tab, Shift, Ctrl and Caps Lock.

Evelynia

Jul 18, 2011
I personally prefer WASD, but only because I've spent too much of my life in WoW and it's part of my soul now.

Zeekar

Jun 1, 2009
WASD all the way.

BOUTWELL. ebsifi

I don't know why, but that Captcha just feels like a more pertinent answer.

Get_A_Grip_

May 9, 2010
WASD. Mainly because it my hands don't feel cramped together and that the Q, E, R, F, C, V, LShift and LCtrl keys are easy to access.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
gigastrike said:
What about ESDF?

Probably way more relevant comparison, virtually no one uses arrow keys as they are jsut too far down and they aren't surrounded by useful keys like E, Q and R but most importantly SPACE for jump or just for your thumb to do ANYTHING. Using arrow key position your thumb is useless.

PS, I tried ESDF and liked it, but too many games had WASD as default and I'd go the the wrong home position to I gave up. Though I will admit, ESDF is generally superior, if only it was the standard. (its also great as your left hand is basically being taught how to touch type while you game... edutainment.)

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
WASD all the way. In all aspects of gaming too. FPS's are perfect for WASD, driving games I use WASD, and I use the arrow keys to change gear. Sports games, I use wasd, and fasion the arrow keys into the buttons on a controller and such like.