Poll: Weed - Legal or Illegal?

MordinSolus

Feb 10, 2011
If the government legalized weed with regulations (like they do on alcohol) , they'd get so much $$$! And a lot of drug wars would cease.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
Legal. I'd never use it, but the Government could tax it and make money off the potheads. Might be good for the economy. Of course, there would have to be laws like no smoking weed and driving and no one under 18/21 can use it, but I could see weed being beneficial if legalized.

Breaker deGodot

Apr 14, 2009
Fact 1: The illegality of pot has made it a huge niche for organized crime.
Fact 2: Enforcement of anti-drug laws have costed the government unprecedented amounts of money that we just don't have (I'm talking about the US in this case).
Fact 3: You can't legislate morality. Potheads and addicts will continue to get their drugs regardless of the law.
Fact 4: More potheads looking for cheap drugs = more crimes committed, such as larceny, muggings, and desperate murders.
Fact 5: When something is out of reach, more people try to get it. It's a simple fact of human nature that we instinctively want what we are not allowed to get.

Drug laws ignore all five of these facts.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Smoked twice. The first time I got fucked up big time, the second time I almost died. I'm not a fan of narcotics and I don't want to have them legalised.

As another argument;
I've been drinking alcohol since I was 13, and I've been to a LOT of parties with tons of drunk people - and I've never had any problems with the people. Not even by the people I've met on the street that were drunk.
I've met ONE stoned person and he ended up assaulting me. If there weren't Securitas(patroling guards) nearby I'm pretty sure he was just about to stab me.

Now, I'm sure I've come in contact with more drug addicts than just that guy, but he's the one I know for sure. Saw another one once that had a freak out on the subway and started throwing punches in the air while screaming.

staleBread

Feb 24, 2011
DanielBrown said:
Smoked twice. The first time I got fucked up big time, the second time I almost died. I'm not a fan of narcotics and I don't want to have them legalised.

As another argument;
I've been drinking alcohol since I was 13, and I've been to a LOT of parties with tons of drunk people - and I've never had any problems with the people. Not even by the people I've met on the street that were drunk.
I've met ONE stoned person and he ended up assaulting me. If there weren't Securitas(patroling guards) nearby I'm pretty sure he was just about to stab me.

Now, I'm sure I've come in contact with more drug addicts than just that guy, but he's the one I know for sure. Saw another one once that had a freak out on the subway and started throwing punches in the air while screaming.
I'll have to call BS on that one man. Besides, what makes you think that they were smoking weed? Sounds more like they were drunk/high on harder drugs.

Lol you've been drinking since 13 and never had problems with people when drunk? How old are you? 14?

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
staleBread said:
DanielBrown said:
I'll have to call BS on that one man. Besides, what makes you think that they were smoking weed? Sounds more like they were drunk/high on harder drugs.

Lol you've been drinking since 13 and never had problems with people when drunk? How old are you? 14?
If you want to argue, sure, but as long as you keep such a dismissive tone I won't be bothered.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Cat of Doom said:
I honestly cannot believe the majority of what I thought was a intelligent online community believe weed should be legalised.

I thought only a few extremely naive or stupid community members would vote "legal".

I voted illegal by the way. Weed, and its users sicken me, I don?t know if you are simply naive and don?t have a true understanding of the world, but it is a truly evil thing and I have always campaigned for harsher punishment for its users and dealers.

Don't believe me, ask any doctor at the william havey hospital how many times they have had to explain to a distraught mother that their son/daughter would still be alive were it not for the drug.
Are you serious? Pot has never killed anybody, ever. Conflicts over who gets to sell it, however, has. Which is the best reason of all for legalising it. It would lead to fewer deaths, not more.

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
whiteblood said:
Oh, one more thing: favour, legalisation and unecological.
I think you're trying to insinuate those words are mistakes. You are mistaken. Irony!

Favour [http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Favour?r=75&src=ref&ch=dic]
Legalisation [http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/legalisation?r=75&src=ref&ch=dic]
Ecological: Unfortunately, this is a somewhat esoteric scientific term used largely in medicine and psychology, I can't seem to find a reference for it online (perhaps I should search for a more widely known alternative), but it's delineated in my "Scientific Method and Statistics" chapter for my old psychology course. An ecological study is one which remains valid outside of its examined cohort.

Ewyx

Dec 3, 2008
whiteblood said:
Rare, if ever, are stoners or even the 'occasional' users of Marijuana ambitious, hard working, and capable individuals. Instead, all they care about is 'whirled peas' and taking it easy, running from adversity and strife and hold onto that lowest common denominator of work required to get by like it's Bob Marley's used condom.
Carl Sagan, for one, regularly smoked weed. And honestly, there are a lot of people who have done drugs and went on to do great things. I'm not even going to start with music.

Actually, using my google-sense I came up with this. http://boards.cannabis.com/activism/72501-famous-people-smoke-weed.html

It's not referenced, but I'm sure if you look around you can find confirmation for most of the names.

The reason that you claim stoners are unambitious is not because of the drug itself, but because of the stigma attached to it. Since it's illegal, many people won't ever try it. As with all substances, there are people who are going to abuse it too much. But weed itself doesn't create apathetic people with low-ambitions, those people are usually just more attracted to the effects of it. Cause and effect my friend. But since you're obviously talking out of your ass, I'll give you some advice that you first verify statements before coming off like an ignorant tool.

All in all, I'd rather have an unproductive stoner than a violent alcoholic.

I'd make it legal so people would stop arguing about it. I for one, think marijuana is not a big deal. No, the effects are nothing special, and honestly, I find it much more mild compared to alcohol.

Virgilthepagan

May 15, 2010
I've got to say it's fun seeing the number of people writing "it's addictive" or "more people will drive stoned" arguments. What statistics back this up? How many people do it currently?

All that aside, I'm an infrequent smoker, not because I'm really worried about how much it costs but mainly because I'm usually too busy to set aside a few hours smoking. For those in the forum who complain about their stoner friends, would these people be just as likely to get drunk off their asses if they didn't have pot? Maybe it's them and not the substance.

I'm for legalizing it, not just for the usual arguments (my body my rights, remove a source of revenue for cartels), but because the country could really use the money. Legalize, drop the price, then tax the hell out of it and maybe some of the states will have less of a financial crisis.

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
whiteblood said:
BGH122 said:
whiteblood said:
Oh, one more thing: favour, legalisation and unecological.
I think you're trying to insinuate those words are mistakes. You are mistaken. Irony!

Favour [http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Favour?r=75&src=ref&ch=dic]
Legalisation [http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/legalisation?r=75&src=ref&ch=dic]
Ecological: Unfortunately, this is a somewhat esoteric scientific term used largely in medicine and psychology, I can't seem to find a reference for it online (perhaps I should search for a more widely known alternative), but it's delineated in my "Scientific Method and Statistics" chapter for my old psychology course. An ecological study is one which remains valid outside of its examined cohort.
It was one dick move for another, regional spellings aside.
Except my dick move wasn't invalid :p

Ewyx

Dec 3, 2008
whiteblood said:
That's a nice list, but compare it to the millions of people out there who don't need a crutch to get by and you fall drastically short, especially with Kurt Cobain on it, who's shitty music grandfathered the Emo movement. As well, my experience is based on first-hand experience with the drug culture over many years, not the generally well earned stigma attached, so please; wipe your own ass before slinging shit in a debate.

At least my argument is based on experience and not some unverified list.
Ok, first of all, what's wrong with emo? Seriously? I happen to love Mineral, Sunny Day Real Estate and a few other bands. Also, emo has nothing to do with the grunge movement, and it was born out of emo punk, which developed in the late 80s. Also, Kurt Cobain did a lot more than just weed, but seriously man, the guy was the exact opposite of what you're trying to claim stoners are, he succeeded with his music that has influenced thousands of people, something most of us here will never accomplish. Something, MOST people that don't smoke weed will never accomplish.

Also 'first-hand drug culture experience', care to elaborate on that? Is that your term of a few of your friends doing too much weed? Or were you actually a drug councilor or a psychologist, maybe a medical professional in touch with the drug community? That list was compiled with the help of interviews, and I'm sure if you'll take some time and google it, you will find most of the data correct. (There's really no point to lie about silly things like that anyway)

As for doing too much, that's a dumb argument. People play too much videogames, and it fucks up their lives, people drink too much, does the same... Fuck, the amount of people in the usa taking antidepressants, antipsychotics, ritalin for ADD (which apparently everyone has these days). Not to mention that these overprescribed drugs cause more harm (especially because they're often prescribed for situations where they're not needed) than good (They have legitimate uses, don't get me wrong, but they're also prescribed for situations which can be fixed by a conversation and some self-discipline). But nooo... apparently a stupid plant that pretty much just relaxes you is the big evil.

The problem with weed isn't that it's safe, the problem is the amount of misinformation around it, and the simple fact, that it's being demonized, even though, smoking weed is not a big deal. At all.

dstoner

Apr 15, 2011
if anything, kurt grandfathered screamo... whiteblood is an idiot.

lol its funny, this thread alone proves weed doesnt kill brain cells. infact it almost seems as though it increases them. because the people saying it should remain illegal definitely aren't as smart as the people saying it should be legal... just stating the facts, not my opinion.

Lem0nade Inlay

Apr 3, 2010
Elcarsh said:
Lem0nade Inlay said:
I think Illegal.
The people who want weed badly will just get it now anyway. I just don't want kids and teenagers ruining their life by smoking it. I understand that alcohol can destroy their lives as well, but I feel that weed can ruin their minds in a way which is even worse than alcohol.
Really? Now THAT is something I'd really love to see evidence of, seeing as how alcohol can be quite devastating to both your body and mind.
I'm judging this on the basis that drinking alcohol at a high content (binge drinking or something similar) can shrink the brain, reducing memory, learning ability etc. Alcohol can also be a catalyst for diseases like depression.

However one incredibly dangerous aspect of smoking weed is the fact that if you just try out weed once it can bring up underlying mental illnesses like schizophrenia (sp?). Alcohol cannot bring up these mental diseases as quickly as marijuana can. I know this for a fact.

However I do believe alcohol is bad for you in a huge number of ways, I'm not denying that, but I just feel that weed can be more dangerous if you only have it once or twice, than alcohol can if you only have 1 or 2 drinks ever. If that makes sense.