Poll: What do you look for in a Let's Play?

The Pinray

Jul 21, 2011
I prefer a non-grating voice that doesn't try too hard to be funny and is decent at the game. I also have to be interested in the game, but that's a no-brainer.

Dr. Cakey

Feb 1, 2011
One thing I simply cannot stand - and I think I'm in the minority on this - but in games without dubbing, please for the love of all that is good do not read the dialog.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
I'm looking for comedy. I'll go over the other options as to why not:

Experienced Players - well experienced in the game itself is not essential but at least they should know how to play games. I don't want them getting stuck somewhere for too long.

Information on game - I already have the whole internet for that. I may watch a brief part of a LP to see the gameplay (as the trailers are seriously lacking there) but not more than 1-2 minutes. And I'll be skipping through the clip.

Review-like play - Again, I already have the whole Internet. Reviews are a non-issue for me. And I don't feel like sitting through a really long one that has a game as background and is losing focus all the time (let's face it - the game will be distracting). However, I will be fine if the review had a large dose of humour in it. I would still watch it for the humour, though, the review will not be a deciding factor.

A good game - Not important. A bad game (or one I don't like) can be just as enjoyable to watch as a good one. Maybe even more so, if because the bad parts give more opportunities to say funny stuff.

Jitters Caffeine

Sep 10, 2011
I'm pretty judgmental when it comes to Let's Plays. Having seen it done by the guys who started the whole thing really makes you see the flaws in the bad ones. If someone is just spouting memes or catchphrases, spends a whole video making zero progress, treats his Let's Play like a goddamn blog, or does a Blind Let's Play (which I absolutely hate), then that person has failed at that Let's Play.

I say you had better know what you're talking about. You should be informative and know the game you're playing. I'm not saying you have to have been on the Dev team of the game, but you better know that game in and out BEFORE you start recording. Nothing irritates me more in a Let's Play when I see some asshole spend 10 minutes talking to his computer and asking what their supposed to do. If you want to see the "rules" of Let's Plays, look no farther than the Retsupurae guys, Slowbeef INVENTED Let's Plays, so I hold everyone else to THAT bar. And almost everyone decides to limbo under it instead of trying to surpass it.

Uber Evil

Mar 4, 2009
Funny and not annoying are my main things I look for in lets plays. Niblet wiggling is also a plus.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
Chuggaconroy.<3

And really, for the most part, games I actually care about. And people who don't try hard to be funny. People just need to give up and be themselves, it's getting sad.

Like, there are actually funny LP'ers, like DeceasedCrab and raocow. But then there's all the people who try to be "funny" because "it's the thing". And it's just really, really, lame. Just do what comes natural to you, really.

Whiptail

Feb 22, 2010
GundamSentinel said:
Like the guy that did an Oblivion Let's Play where he had a skull in his inventory for the entire game and he kept asking it for advice. And humming Fallout 3 music when running across Cyrodiil.
Who's that? Sounds funny =P

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Whiptail said:
GundamSentinel said:
Like the guy that did an Oblivion Let's Play where he had a skull in his inventory for the entire game and he kept asking it for advice. And humming Fallout 3 music when running across Cyrodiil.
MoogleFTW. Look him up on youtube. He's utterly mad, but that's brilliant.

Rusman

Aug 12, 2008
Pretty much and Let's Play by Chip Cheezum and General Ironicus.
Two reasonably funny guys, playing reasonably good games to a reasonable standard giving and reasonable amount of info on the game.
Also they do dual commentary tracks in case you don't give a shit about cutscenes and have them talk over it. So it's kind of like Unskippable.

Whiptail

Feb 22, 2010
GundamSentinel said:
Whiptail said:
GundamSentinel said:
MoogleFTW. Look him up on youtube. He's utterly mad, but that's brilliant.
Thanks, I'll look it up =)

Evil Teddie

Feb 7, 2011
I like LPs to be informative and witty. There are some gems on the LP archive, look for ones by Lt. Danger, The Dark Id, and Orange Fluffy Sheep to see what I'm talking about. I used to be a fan of Toegoff's blind LPs, but then I slowly got annoyed at his Lawful Good stupidity.

I would like to do a Co-op LP with my sis, but due to the lack of good recent co-op games besides Borderlands, the lack of a capture card and the fact that the sensitive microphone picks up on my slight speech impediment (you wouldn't hear it in real life.), and that it'll just be me and my sis spouting random shizz while laughing.

Example - Dark Souls

Me: Kill the dude or he kills the Firekeeper.

Sis: 'Kay.

Me: Parry *****, parry.

Sis: I don't believe in parrying.

-Dies-

Me: Lemme have a go. Parry to win.

-Dies-

Sis: You just fell down a cliff.

Me: Pfft. I'm parrying him to death now.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
Obviously this varies from game to game but preferably there would be no narration, but if there is then it should at the very least recording should be of good quality and not just like they were speaking into an Xbox Live headset or something.

deserteagleeye

Sep 8, 2010
They have to be practically soiling themselves from a scary game like Fatal Frame or Amnesia. Which is why I watch 4PP and Pewdiepie.

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
My favourite of LPs are informative as well as funny. They also make you feel at ease.

Also... people who can actually play the game helps too, but that normally comes with the knowlege and experience.

So... unless you have a very good personality, I am not a big fan of watching Blind LPs, or people doing badly, or having no idea about the game.

Also... enthusiasm. You need it. Exasperation is funny, but only if there is some underlying determination and will to overcome the challenge. Otherwise I am just seeing an excercise in futility, and it gets rather boring.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Comedy !
Additional score for not trying too hard to be oh so wonderful, and happy, and man i feel so creative today, and... You know what i mean. Being genuinely funny is what i value most. :)

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
pyrokin said:
Thinking about doing a co-op Let's Play soon, and for the sake of them, I'd like your opinions on what you look for in video game Let's Plays. This is more of a simple curiosity I've had, of course I'm still going to do them the way I like.

Commenting on why you chose your answer is also well appreciated.
Thank you.
I watch Lets Plays for one of two reasons, which (as it happens) are mutually exclusive to one another.

1) I watch Graham and Paul's Let's Plays because they're funny. ^^ It's like watching Unskipable... for hours. ^^ Seriously, if you haven't checked this out yet, do.

http://loadingreadyrun.com/videos/archive/gplp/date/desc

2) When I want to experience the game's story without playing it. This can occur for one of several reasons. Possibly because I simply don't want to play the game. Possibly because I want to see if a game is worth getting. Or possibly because I am looking for inspiration for a table top game I'm about to run (so the game might give me ideas for dungeons or monsters). In these cases, I prefer that the players don't make too much noise (or if they do, that they quiet down when the characters in the game speak) so that I can follow what is going on. In this case, funny comments are usually the worst thing, because jokes are best interjected while the characters are talking (see GPLP above).

So yeah, either for comedy or for story. Usually not for both at once.

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
Different let's plays are great for different reasons: do whatever best suits your personality and style of play. You need to fill in the space/limit the "dead air" in your LP, but do it by being genuine. Don't fake some sort of persona. That rarely ever works well.