Poll: What do you think of Facebook?

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
It seems like most of the Escapist isn't a fan of it or has an account but doesn't much care for it
I, personally, love it. If I'm not on here then I'm on there. It's a great social networking site where I keep in touch with my friends every day. What's bad about it?

Michael Logan

Oct 19, 2008
CrashBang said:
It seems like most of the Escapist isn't a fan of it or has an account but doesn't much care for it
I, personally, love it. If I'm not on here then I'm on there. It's a great social networking site where I keep in touch with my friends every day. What's bad about it?
The reason most people here dont like it, is because its popular.

OT: I have an account, but I dont use it very much.

weecath77

Dec 22, 2009
CrashBang said:
I agree,I worked abroad for a few years and it helps me keep in touch with people I worked with from all around the world.It is easy to use and you can always choose to add people or block people you never see or interact with.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Useful. Especially since I often don't see a lot of friends from home for weeks at a time, it's a nice way of checking up on them without the awkwardness of a phone conversation.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
I hate it with all my might because it's so cool and nonconformist to be just like everyone else and hate popular things! Yeah!

I use it for:
News stream
Band/Artist updates (New album in the making)
For having a way to reach friends
Hearing news from people that I wouldn't otherwise (Old buddy getting married etc.)

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
BENZOOKA said:
I hate it with all my might because it's so cool and nonconformist to be just like everyone else and hate popular things! Yeah!

I use it for:
News stream
Hearing news from people that I wouldn't otherwise (Old buddy getting married etc.)
Agree with the entirety of this. How else will I keep up with my friends from high school that went to 20 different colleges?

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
It's alright. I consider it a functional tool, which is why I'm equally confused by people who hate it and people who treat it as a way of life - that would seem roughly equivalent to despising/worshipping a lawnmower or something.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
BENZOOKA said:

I use it for:
News stream
Agree with the entirety of this. How else will I get up with my friends from high school that went to 20 different colleges?
You should sent letters to addresses you guess they might live in, of course. But not by using the national postal service; that shit's too mainstream for us cool kids. Indie pigeons, preferably.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
Umm... Your poll options are kinda... Limited... You either love it or hate it seems. I don't hate it, I don't have a Facebook account, but I don't mind other people using it. But it just hate the fact how shallow and stupid it.

A great idea but a fucking sad execution... It is just gathering shallow people to be shallow together in their shallowness.

SymmetricalFeet

Apr 1, 2011
This is why I hate bookface:

I don't like the idea that everywhere I go, I take bookface with me. I've always loved the anonymity that comes with the Internet and that I can hide behind any façade I like: I don't want to lose that to advertisers and stalkers. If I wanted to find people with common interests, that's what niche-interest forums are for.

I only have an account because my bff (who now lives in another state) primarily communicates through it, and I have little to no other way to keep in contact. My account has no personal information and no images, just a few friends who know exactly who I am.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I hate it. I don't trust it as I value my privacy. However as I'm looking at becoming a Multimedia Producer it's become quite clear to me through my studies that I'm not going to be able to keep avoiding it.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
BENZOOKA said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
BENZOOKA said:

I use it for:
News stream
Agree with the entirety of this. How else will I get up with my friends from high school that went to 20 different colleges?
You should sent letters to addresses you guess they might live in, of course. But not by using the national postal service; that shit's too mainstream for us cool kids. Indie pigeons, preferably.
Or Non-Kentuckian horses. Vehicles are soooooo mainstream.

TheFunPolice

Mar 29, 2011
Yeah sorry about the options. I wasn't paying much attention to what I was writing, I wanted to delete and repost this poll but I couldn't find the option to do so. sorry about that

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
I despise this Skynet but since I can't reach some people in other manners (or they can't me) I need to use it once in a while.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Very much dislike it, I could do without it quite nicely as I have done so for over 30 years...

Mar 9, 2010
I think it's a free way to talk to my friends and find out what's happening without putting myself at risk. I have no trust for MSN or the like, I don't appear on Facebook chat either.