Poll: What Fallout game is the best? and Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Ramare said:
[Excruciating combat? Bollocks. Is it really that bad? .
It's a bit like this...

You miss Gecko.

Gecko hits you for 1 damage.

Raider hits you for 4 damage.

Raider leader hits you for 5 damage.

Golden Gecko hits Raider for no damage.

You miss Gecko.

Gecko critically hits you for 4 damage, knocking you off your feet.

..... and so on and so on. It's like a cure for insomnia.

It is painful to endure, even at the highest combat speed settings.
That's not how you play it.
Sure FO2 combat is simplistic, but you don't have to play THAT badly.

It should go more like this:
attack - miss gecko
retreat
attack - hit for x points
retreat
attack - miss
retreat
etc.

Agility is your friend.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Does anyone know where I could find Fallout 1 or 2?

I can't imagine they'd cost much now.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
Tharwen said:

they released a pack containing FO1 FO2 and Tactics its cheap and you can find it on Amazon

Ramare

Apr 27, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Ramare said:
[Excruciating combat? Bollocks. Is it really that bad? .
It's a bit like this...

You miss Gecko.

Raider hits you for 4 damage.

Raider leader hits you for 5 damage.

Golden Gecko hits Raider for no damage.

You miss Gecko.

Gecko critically hits you for 4 damage, knocking you off your feet.

..... and so on and so on. It's like a cure for insomnia.

It is painful to endure, even at the highest combat speed settings.
Er...Um...Eh....fucking hell, do they want me to hate these old gems!? I have no problem with it if the combat takes a while, but if the difficulty of the combat is accurately represented, then I have no further comments...All I know is, I'm going to be pissed off if I end up hating them, if I buy them; if it's even possible to get them through legitimate means anymore....Shouldn't they be freeware by now? Why do you think Bethesda made FO3? My only chance is Steam. Since they have everything, I have a feeling I'm as screwed as a New Vegas whore....there isn't a demo for those games, too, by any chance, is there...?

Ze_Reaper_Of_Zeath

Feb 20, 2010
Srdjan said:
Fuck you all original Fallout was best.
Fallout 1 & 2 were more "comedic", and fun, relating to humor and stuff.

I prefer Fallout 3 myself. The moment when you walk out into the wasteland, and the moment just takes you.

Fallout New Vegas is not bad though.

Kouen

Yea, Furry. Deal With It!
Mar 23, 2010
henritje said:
Tharwen said:

they released a pack containing FO1 FO2 and Tactics its cheap and you can find it on Amazon
or GOG.com and Steam also

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Fallout 3 was a great game.

Fallout: New Vegas is better in almost every aspect, despite the bugs, and feels more intimately connected to the original games.

EDIT: And by connected I mean simply connected, whereas F3's connections with the original series was mostly copying and pasting concepts and plot elements.

Hunter65416

Oct 22, 2010
Fallout 3, Vegas didn't quite do it for me the way fallout 3 did, maybe because of the potentially game breaking glitches that after experiencing one and having to restart which made me paranoid through the whole main storyline on my second attempt, maybe because the games a bit smaller, maybe because the story's weak and at times just makes no sense, maybe just because i prefer the original recipe you cant really replicate that moment when stepping out of the vault and seeing that open wasteland for the first time. I did love New Vegas for its new features though hopefully Bethesda work on fallout 4 and mash Fallout 3 and Vegas together somehow. Btw did anyone notice there were more head explosions and limb dismantling in fallout 3 than in vegas?

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
henritje said:
Tharwen said:

Kouen said:
or GOG.com and Steam also
Yay! Thanks, both of you :D

Karilas

Jan 6, 2010
Ramare said:
...As far as retro Fallout goes, though, that's way before my time. But, I haven't shunned these classic gems, however; I tried the Tactics demo not too long ago, and although I hate having the computer tell me I missed a shot I could have EASILY made in FPS mode; it's pretty fun. Generally, the only tactical RPG series I ever liked was the Disgaea series; another set of polished, yet under-appreciated gems. I'm thinking about trying to get me hands on the two original Fallouts, however. Let's hope they're as good as all of the Fallout nerds claim they are.
Luckily they're that cheap now it won't matter if they're any good or not. I picked up Fallout/Fallout 2 and Tactics all on the same disk for about three quid from Morrisons.

You could just as easily lose three quid.

As for the OP question, I'd shoot with New Vegas, but I've still only played that and 3, I just find the comparative emptiness of the Capital Wasteland makes it luck dull and samey compared to the Mojave.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
veloper said:
That's not how you play it.
Sure FO2 combat is simplistic, but you don't have to play THAT badly.

It should go more like this:
attack - miss gecko
retreat
attack - hit for x points
retreat
attack - miss
retreat
etc.

Agility is your friend.
That tactic makes the battles even longer. I'd rather lose the health points and get two hits in per turn, to speed the damn thing up.

And my point is not that the combat is too hard, it's that it's boring waiting for all the enemies to take their turns. You just watch the damn game playing itself for half your playtime.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Ramare said:
Er...Um...Eh....fucking hell, do they want me to hate these old gems!? I have no problem with it if the combat takes a while, but if the difficulty of the combat is accurately represented, then I have no further comments...All I know is, I'm going to be pissed off if I end up hating them, if I buy them; if it's even possible to get them through legitimate means anymore....Shouldn't they be freeware by now? Why do you think Bethesda made FO3? My only chance is Steam. Since they have everything, I have a feeling I'm as screwed as a New Vegas whore....there isn't a demo for those games, too, by any chance, is there...?
No, but I got the two of them together off Steam for around 20 Euros.

Don't get me wrong, they're great games.... but the combat is like watching paint dry.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Even though I do think Fallout 3 was the beset, it would have been better if all the Fallout series was included, so it was a better poll.

zarix2311

Dec 15, 2010
JoeNightmare said:
I blame my less liking of new vegas on Mr. new vegas. Three dog in fallout made radio that much funner and thus made the whole wasteland fun but Mr. new vegas sounds like he's about to die of old age and continuously seems to spout the same line of "is there a misses vegas?" If they had someone as likable as three dog I'd probably be nicer to it and would have played it some more.
That's exactly what I thought! He just sounded so bored the entire game and he almost never had any thing interesting enough for me to really listen.

ExaltedK9

Apr 23, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
ExaltedK9 said:
randomsix said:
ExaltedK9 said:
Super Toast said:
Believe it or not, but Fallout 3 isn't the first game in the series.

In my opinion, Fallout 3 is the best, followed by Fallout 2, then New Vegas, then the original.
I get so sick of hearing this. Theres a reason none of them are options on the poll. They are not comparable to the new installments. They are ancient and suck next to their predecessors,

OT: Fallout 3, but only because of the abundance of glitches, and invisible walls in New Vegas.
You forgot to put on your flameshield, broseph.
Also predecessors are those that come before.

OT: Fo:3 is my favorite on account of Lincoln's Repeater. It really just makes it better than anything else, period. And yes, I am an Abe Lincoln fanboy.
Yea I knew I was walking on hallowed ground when I said that I didn't think the first Fallouts were good. I will probably be made and example of...

Oh right, I mixed up my predecessors and successors.
Yes, now go back to your call of duty and your medal of honor chest thumping of "war". Oh wait, they are ancient games too. Come to think of it Fallout 3 is ancient, batman arkham asylum is ancient, all halos are ancient, gears of war is ancient, Oblivion is ancient, morrowind is ancient, and every game not made in 2011 is ancient so they all must suck. >.>

Christ, this is the same notion that is set in concrete in immature freshmen in high school.

Don't like fallout? then don't come to fallout threads. Is that so hard to do?
Any game that was made before YESTERDAY is ancient? Aren't you being a little fanatical there?

And as it happens, I love Fallouts 3, and New Vegas. Just not the first 2, those suck more than a hurricane.