Poll: What Hands do you Use a Knife and Fork With?

Zarkov

Mar 26, 2010
brandon237 said:
SckizoBoy said:
... the 'normal' way (knife in right, fork in left), though if I'm just using one utensil, it'll be in the right hand, regardless of which one it is.

A better question would be: how do you hold your knife? (And no, that's not supposed to be a euphemism...)
This, knife is always, ALWAYS in the right hand if it is being used. Or else you are just rude D:<
When the knife is not in use, the fork shall occupy the right hand.
I am done now.
u... u mad bro?

But seriously, if I were to sit down at your eating table and eat with the knife-left fork-right format you'd get your panties in a bunch and kick me out?

Because seriously, that's really silly. I mean... the thought that it would be considered rude because you use "object A" with "hand B" instead of the other way around is really stupid.

I mean... what? I think I'd almost be insulted if someone were to tell me that I can't eat that way; it'd be like someone telling me I can't write with my left hand because dead nobles many centuries ago didn't use their left hand. I mean, that's all etiquette is anyway. Tradition of how one holds certain items.

But I'm sure I'm just stating the bloody obvious and there really was no need to bring up these points.
...right?

Phoenixlight

Aug 24, 2008
I eat with a fork in my right hand a knife in my left, everyone else I know thinks that I'm doing it the wrong way but it feels more comfortable and natural for me.

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
tzimize said:
I change mid-meal.

Edit: Not to be difficult, but I really do. I carve my food, then switch around.
+1 It drives my parents crazy so I try to avoid it when they're there, but I'm so much more precise with the right hand that I have the urge to switch hand to pick and cut with that one, so I usually take a sip of my glass before switching, that way the switch is invisible (as I have to hold both items into the same hand to pick my glass).

Yosato

Apr 5, 2010
A few months ago I actually got into the same argument with someone about the SAME thing! Only I was the douche arguing that his right-handed fork style was in some way 'wrong'. It was all banter and I was just grinding his gears, it just shocked me that people actually cut that way, and shocked me even more that I'd never noticed his strange manner of eating throughout a decade and a half of knowing him.

DrPepperMD

Jul 5, 2010
Speaking of which, I found this video I had seen before of John Cleese talking about where he got the inspiration for the character he played on the TV show "Fawlty Towers". It includes a story of the hotel man yelling at Terry Gilliam (the lone American in "Monty Python") for eating in the American style.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1yKb_77Sf0

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
Right-handed here, with a fork in the right and knife in the left.
I remember it just being easier when I grew up, then I just went with it. Even though it was "wrong" according to the grownups, I never saw the point, and I still don't.
If anything, the object with pointy ends, which you are bringing close to your face should get as good precision as possible, or am I totally off?
Screw classy behaviour, comfort / practical any day of the week.

Makhiel

Dec 15, 2010
Fork left, knife right if I use a knife that is. As far as I am aware left-handed people do it the other way in these parts.

Rblade

Mar 1, 2010
wrong according to ettiquette. I'm right handed but in my youth I kind of got used to stearing with the fork instead of with the knife, so I use my cutlery like a lefty. In restaurants I try to do it right but it's a struggle :p

JambalayaBob

Dec 11, 2010
interspark said:
just a little public survey, i got into an arguement with someone the other day who believes that to eat with a fork in your right hand and a knife in your left hand is the "wrong" way of eating and that no-one does it, i argued that not only is there no "correct" way of eating, but that i know/have heard of several people who eat said way, so to put this arguement to rest, how do escapees hold cutlery?
In terms of "proper etiquette," it is indeed correct to eat with your fork in your left hand and your knife in your right hand. Etiquette is complete bullshit though, so don't think too hard about that shit. There's some people who go around teaching etiquette to people, and they go above and beyond just the basic BS like the issue described in this article. They go out of their way to make shit up, like having to cut a burger in half. Just watch the episode of Penn & Teller's Bullshit on etiquette if you want to know more, or just to be purely entertained.

Dyme

Nov 18, 2009
interspark said:
just a little public survey, i got into an arguement with someone the other day who believes that to eat with a fork in your right hand and a knife in your left hand is the "wrong" way of eating and that no-one does it, i argued that not only is there no "correct" way of eating, but that i know/have heard of several people who eat said way, so to put this arguement to rest, how do escapees hold cutlery?
Your friend is right.

Get_A_Grip_

May 9, 2010
If I'm using both at the same time. Fork left, knife right.
If I'm just using a fork then I use my right hand.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Fork left, Knife right. If I'm scooping stuff up I'll use my right hand.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
The knife goes on the right hand and the fork on the left.

And they stay there until I'm done eating or done using them since it seems really tedious to switch the fork to the right just to eat whatever. I know I've seen people do it and it looks ridiculous.

Lady Nilstria

Aug 11, 2009
Knife left, fork right.

Strangely, I do most thing like I'm left handed because it feels more comfortable to me, even though I'm not. I play billiards left handed. It never occurred to me to do differently. Eating is the same way. It feels more comfortable to cut with the left hand, probably because I like efficiency, and I don't have to switch the fork to the other hand to eat. I would assume this would be true with a left handed person. They would naturally do what feels most comfortable to them.

I never did like having to change the fork around. It felt awkward.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Umm, I do it the proper way.
You should know what that is.
i.e. the way Europeans do it.

unicron44

Oct 12, 2010
I use fork in the left and knife in the right. It's because I'm right handed and find cutting meat or whatever food I'm eating easier with my right. I was also told as a kid it was more polite to eat that way, but whatever.

Is that style called continental? I feel like I've heard that somewhere.

Aeriath

Sep 10, 2009
I'm right handed and use the fork in my right hand, knife in my left.

It works for me, so etiquette can go fork itself.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
usmarine4160 said:
OmniscientOstrich said:
Surely you'd put the knife in your writing hand to make it easier to cut your meals, no? So yeah, knife in the right hand, fork in the left, if I were left handed I would do the inverse.
I'm left handed and fork goes in the left hand, knife in the right. Anything else and you can consider yourself weird
Okay, why exactly? Any particular reson you do this/consider people who differ from this method wierd?