Poll: What if an RPG used real races?

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
Then it would be pretty boring because there would be only human race.

TheCruxis

Jan 19, 2011
There is only one humanoid race on earth, and that is humans. So there would be one race in the game, a little dull perhaps.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
That sounds retarded, not because its offensive, its just stupid. If you like stereotypes then i suggest you play any C & C game.

Timberwolf0924

Sep 16, 2009
It does all come down to the bonsus.

Asian +50 Int (good for Int Skills)

African +50 Agi (good for evading)

Jewish 50% Money found

American(White) +50 Stm (Cause white people seem to live forever)

Middle Eastern Special Skill Self-Destruct -10 Elusiveness (cause people are always looking at the Middle Eastern Person)

Austrillian +50 Resistance (Cause they live in a land that wants to kill them)

Latino +50 Elusiveness (cause they can get through and you'll never know)

German Special Skill Start a War +10 Attack Power

Now I know these are more-a-less countries isntead of races, but just white black asian and middle eastern isn't as fun.

BlindTom

Aug 8, 2008
Any RPG set in the The Real World(tm) already uses real races. Also races and nationalities are not the same thing, in fact your belief that they are is reminiscent of the outlooks of extremist parties like the BNP in Britain or whatever racist dickhead equivalent you think represents "The American Race."

Civilisation does not give bonuses to races. It gives bonuses to cultures and great leaders. That's a system of beliefs and an individual respectively. Completely different, the idea being thrown around in this thread that your race dictates what you think or who you follow is completely fucking batshit.

Do you want to be like these ladies escapists?

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/babes-of-the-bnp

Because that is what this sounds like.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
TheCruxis said:
There is only one humanoid race on earth, and that is humans. So there would be one race in the game, a little dull perhaps.
Species, genius. Races are a division of a single species.

Also. American may not be a race, per se, but Russian certainly is. Descendants of the original Rus and the nearby territories have a unique build. Nationality and race ARE intrinsically linked. The Irish, for example, are a race. The Scottish are a race. The English are a race. The Welsh are a race. Despite inhabiting the same landmass (not including Ireland here, obviously). Welsh people are generally shorter and stockier than the English, and the Scottish are often bigger. Compare the Bretons and Nords from Skyrim and you have the difference between a Saxon and a Norwegian.

While not everybody fits into these racial builds, they are there, and there's no use denying them. Hell, even Americans appear to be developing their own, unique strand. Americans appear to have softer-looking faces and generally less pronounced features. If it wasn't a race, you wouldn't be able to recognise them on sight.

So yes. Nationality and race are very closely linked. If I can name real differences between neighbouring countries, then the OP has a fair point.

Also, the game would only work if the Welsh possessed the ability to cast 'Fury' with their ridiculous accent.

EDIT: Thought I should mention - North and South Sudan don't count. They're geographically similar and only very recently split, so the Sudanese will remain the Sudanese race until some unspecified point in the future when you can tell the difference from sight alone.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
BlindTom said:
Any RPG set in the The Real World(tm) already uses real races. Also races and nationalities are not the same thing, in fact your belief that they are is reminiscent of the outlooks of extremist parties like the BNP in Britain or whatever racist dickhead equivalent you think represents "The American Race."

Civilisation does not give bonuses to races. It gives bonuses to cultures and great leaders. That's a system of beliefs and an individual respectively. Completely different, the idea being thrown around in this thread that your race dictates what you think or who you follow is completely fucking batshit.

Thyunda said:
TheCruxis said:

Also. American may not be a race, per se, but Russian certainly is. Descendants of the original Rus and the nearby territories have a unique build. Nationality and race ARE intrinsically linked. The Irish, for example, are a race. The Scottish are a race. The English are a race. The Welsh are a race. Despite inhabiting the same landmass (not including Ireland here, obviously). Welsh people are generally shorter and stockier than the English, and the Scottish are often bigger. Compare the Bretons and Nords from Skyrim and you have the difference between a Saxon and a Norwegian.

While not everybody fits into these racial builds, they are there, and there's no use denying them. Hell, even Americans appear to be developing their own, unique strand. Americans appear to have softer-looking faces and generally less pronounced features. If it wasn't a race, you wouldn't be able to recognise them on sight.

So yes. Nationality and race are very closely linked. If I can name real differences between neighbouring countries, then the OP has a fair point.

Also, the game would only work if the Welsh possessed the ability to cast 'Fury' with their ridiculous accent.

EDIT: Thought I should mention - North and South Sudan don't count. They're geographically similar and only very recently split, so the Sudanese will remain the Sudanese race until some unspecified point in the future when you can tell the difference from sight alone.

BlindTom said:

And I thought we'd have to wait till the Independent before we got 'PEOPLE ARE BEING RACIST AGAIN'. Nice. Idiot.

((Bollocks. Quoted myself instead of editing. I'm a smart one.))

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
TheCruxis said:
*Species.

OT:

It'd be all fine and dandy until you give any single race a +1 Intelligence or -1 Intelligence stat, then people would get annoyed and I honestly couldn't blame them.

CAMDAWG

Jul 27, 2011
Provided you went with nationalities, not races, and took bonuses based on culture rather than the stereotypical physical attributes, I imagine it could be done tastefully. For example, a german nationality character could get bonuses to some kind of engineering-based stat, an italian or french character could get some kind of cooking or artistic bonus, you get the idea.

The thing is, to some extent that's already what Civ games have. And additionally, if you were going to include developing countries, it would be very difficult. When it comes to europe, it's easy to laugh at how countries are good at some things, crap at others. That's not so easy to do well, and very easy to completely fuck up.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
harmonic said:
kasperbbs said:
That sounds retarded, not because its offensive, its just stupid. If you like stereotypes then i suggest you play any C & C game.
So would you call the differences in the Civilization series stereotypes?

This topic makes me kind of hate my own species. (Race, as in, homo sapiens) because we are so prone to double standards. It's okay for Civ and Skyrim to have stark differences based on different types of people, but if it was based on reality, everyone would have to be exactly the same or entitled, paranoid people would throw a shit fit.
I don't really give a f*** about stereotyping, but i would rather choose my character stats and then proceed to editing appearance/race instead of being forced to play as an asian if i wanted to specialize in hacking in a rpg for example. The truth is noone is the same, but being asian doesnt automatically make you good at math in the real world, so why should it do that in game? I don't even know what difference is between races in skyrim, i only played one without giving it much thought and i have no idea what are you referring to regarding civ.

BlindTom

Aug 8, 2008
Thyunda said:
BlindTom said:

Thyunda said:
TheCruxis said:

BlindTom said:

And I thought we'd have to wait till the Independent before we got 'PEOPLE ARE BEING RACIST AGAIN'. Nice. Idiot.

((Bollocks. Quoted myself instead of editing. I'm a smart one.))

Can you tell me based on sight specifically which regions of the world each of these people hail from and which magical spells etc that they have been able to cast since gestation? I've never really had the knack for it so I'm curious if someone with such a vested interest in diversity might be able to help out an idiot like myself.

Jun 11, 2008
Well it would entirely depend on how you went about it but the way you are going about it could be considered racist if it was done with stats as people will be offended with stuff like that.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
BathorysGraveland said:
No. Still to this day I cannot fathom how someone can allow themselves to be offended over something as harmless as a video game. These 'bonuses' that a race would get isn't all that different than, say, Age of Empires. One nation is better at building ships, another has better chariots, another has more effective villagers etc etc. That's how I see it, at least.
the difference is if i give the english in AOE a bonus to building ships that means that if you take the whole people of Britain they are good at building ships because they live on an island, if you give an Englishman a minus to cooking or dentistry you say that every single Englishman can't cook or look after their teeth.

still not racist, but i want the Germans to be 50% more effective at anything when ordered to.

Nihilism_Is_Bliss

Oct 27, 2009
Anything wrong with applying positive racial stereotypes?
No.

Would people throw a tantrum because the issue of race is ridiculously over sensitive?
Most definitely.

Off topic:
As I've been preoccupied for the last few months and this is my first post in a while, might I ask: When did The Escapist get so incredibly UGLY?!

Give me the old layout and colour scheme ANY day of the week.
...Ok, I just noticed I could change the background colour so I'm a little happier, the white is blinding though. I still miss the old layout :(

BlindTom

Aug 8, 2008

"Do I run faster to catch chicken or am I support class? Maybe I clean bathroom?"

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Lilani said:
Americans are not a race. An American is simply an individual who is from America, or a citizen thereof. They could be black, white, native American, hispanic, asian, inuit...anything, really. And the same goes with Russians and Africans.

You seem to have your races and nationalities confused. A race is your familial heritage, that is your ancestral bloodlines. The genetic makeup of your ancestors and direct relatives. Nationality (or ethnicity) is simply the culture you are in or the people you are allied to. You can be black and African, or you could be black and American. You could also have been born an African, but later naturalized into an American, or vice versa.

And you might want to get these straight in the future...that is the kind of mistake that many people find incredibly annoying and ignorant, if not downright insulting. The way so many Americans seem to think we are a race is one of the reasons so many countries see us as so arrogant and, well, annoying.
So how is black a race? It's not a past nationality and blacks have a bigger genetic difference between them than whites do (source if college lecture, look it up yourself if you really need to know). Besides I've been told by many people that's also wrong and being 1/64th Indian does not make me part Indian since I look white. It's not like I have any bloodlines bigger than that so I also say I'm a mutt but what race would that make me?