Poll: What if an RPG used real races?

Richard Keohane

Dec 11, 2010
x-machina said:
I guess the heart of the real question is: Is re-enforcing positive stereo-types offensive?
To acknowledge trends in racial groups is not inherently racist. "African Americans were primarily concentrated in the South during slavery, so much African American cuisine is identical to Southern Cuisine. When the blacks fled the racism in the south and headed north, they took their cuisine with them. This explains why many white northerners stereotyped black people as loving fried chicken and watermelon."

However, saying that stereotypes apply to EVERY member of an ethnicity IS racist. "Oh, did you see that black guy just rip into that watermelon? He loves watermelon, and you know why."

Saying that "You are Asian, so you AUTOMATICALLY get +2 to Intelligence and Perform(Violin)," is saying that all people from that race are all the same. And that is racist.

Phoenix Arrow

Sep 3, 2008
Ehh. When it comes down to it though, that's basically just a skin tone slider, you know what I mean? Adding stat bonuses based on real races when there's no actual physical or mental difference between an African baby and a Russian baby is just... well, it's stereotyping. It's different in a fantasy setting because, like I used to play FFXI, a mithra with cat ears and a tail is going to have better balance so they have higher AGI and DEX, but they're small so they wouldn't have the high STR or VIT of a big, hulking galka. There's just no point. Why not just let people choose the race and speciality they want?

What would be more interesting is if a company used actual races and examined race relations in a grown up fashion within a game.

ParkourMcGhee

Jan 4, 2008
I think it'd be funny, but then I'm one of the less sensitive types.

Remember what happened when they MIGHT have made a cock up that NOBODY would have seen in Dead Island? Yeah, people can be touchy.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
Thyunda said:
TrilbyWill said:
x-machina said:
Or if you choose African you could run faster. Americans, could... I don't know maybe shout AMERICA!! and inspire one another (giving a stat bonus). etc.
you mean like how Redguards (who are dark-skinned and come from a desert) have a stamina regen power? or how Imperials (white people from a green, mountainy empire that likes war) can chat people up? or how the Nords (white people from a mountainy cold country) have cold resistance? Bretons are a mix of men and mer (like how Britain started out with the Celts, then the Vikings turned up, then the Germans, then the Romans...)
TES has done it for years. Elves are... Chinese/Korean probably (land far away, stereotypically advanced in magic (instead of electronics) and physically fucked). Khajiit are south american/native american (they come from a country with rainforests and dusty badlands), argonians-actually, fucked if i know. Akaviri-Japan, if you couldnt tell by the swords.
I dunno, man, the Khajiit sound Spanish to me. I can see the American traits involved in the landscape, but their mannerism and accent is very Spanish.
well, the spanish did colonise parts of S.America. Bethesda probably ran with that, because we have less info on pre-spanish colonisation culture.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
TrilbyWill said:
Thyunda said:
TrilbyWill said:
x-machina said:
Or if you choose African you could run faster. Americans, could... I don't know maybe shout AMERICA!! and inspire one another (giving a stat bonus). etc.
you mean like how Redguards (who are dark-skinned and come from a desert) have a stamina regen power? or how Imperials (white people from a green, mountainy empire that likes war) can chat people up? or how the Nords (white people from a mountainy cold country) have cold resistance? Bretons are a mix of men and mer (like how Britain started out with the Celts, then the Vikings turned up, then the Germans, then the Romans...)
TES has done it for years. Elves are... Chinese/Korean probably (land far away, stereotypically advanced in magic (instead of electronics) and physically fucked). Khajiit are south american/native american (they come from a country with rainforests and dusty badlands), argonians-actually, fucked if i know. Akaviri-Japan, if you couldnt tell by the swords.
I dunno, man, the Khajiit sound Spanish to me. I can see the American traits involved in the landscape, but their mannerism and accent is very Spanish.
well, the spanish did colonise parts of S.America. Bethesda probably ran with that, because we have less info on pre-spanish colonisation culture.
I think we should settle for early colonialist Mexico. J'zhargo was Shrek's Puss in Boots in all but boots.

Durgiun

Dec 25, 2008
People would rage and whine and flame and piss and moan. But I'd consider it the single funniest thing in the world. Why? Because it would be doing the South Park thing-making fun of everyone and everything.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
x-machina said:
Imagine an RPG that used real races, and gave the character stereo-typical stat bonuses. Say, if you chose Russian you would get an HP bonus because they are notoriously hard to kill. Or if you choose African you could run faster. Americans, could... I don't know maybe shout AMERICA!! and inspire one another (giving a stat bonus). etc.

I guess the heart of the real question is: Is re-enforcing positive stereo-types offensive?
Since when is America a race?
Seems more logical to use Caucasian, Black, Asian, Latino etc.

TheEndlessSleep

Sep 1, 2010
Jandau said:
And yes, reinforcing any stereotype, even a positive one, is racism. Just as any form of discrimination, even positive discriminatin is racist.
But positive steryotyping isn't really offensive is it?

If I was Black, I'd certainly think it was a good thing if people automatically assumed I could run fast and had a large penis...

Being offended when somebody thinks you're better than them in some way seems a little irratonal doesn't it?

BlindTom

Aug 8, 2008
Thyunda said:
BlindTom said:
Thyunda said:
BlindTom said:
Can you tell me based on sight specifically which regions of the world each of these people hail from and which magical spells etc that they have been able to cast since gestation? I've never really had the knack for it so I'm curious if someone with such a vested interest in diversity might be able to help out an idiot like myself.
Yes. With ease. Well, for some of them. I'm not learned enough for all of them. Shockingly I can tell the difference between a continental African and a Caribbean. Oh, and I can make out both Indian and Pakistani faces in there. The upside down fellow I'm at a loss for, I can't get a good enough look to deduce anything. Now how did you find such a diverse group of people in one picture? That's got to be in America.

As for magical powers? That part was a joke. Jews don't automatically attract money, that's something known as 'stereotype humour'. Pakistanis don't all smell bad. Not all Africans are fast runners.

But you CAN separate them. People in this country continually use Indian and Pakistani interchangeably, despite the fact that Indians generally have a darker skin tone and less pronounced cheekbones than Pakistanis. Once again. It's a basic guide, not the 'identify every nationality super-easy' cheat code.
The only race I've had good contact with and yet still fail to identify without the accent is the Australian. Shockingly, they're not all crocodile-wrestling, bronzed types. All the ones I've met have managed to be ridiculously similar to the current English.

Oh, and as for the BNP? Try the EDL. Though the joke here is that the EDL were spawned as an overreaction to the Government's obstinate refusal to actually do anything about the foreigners that WERE causing trouble. As long as Islam4UK continues to operate, I will not condemn the EDL. I'm fine with 'get the dirty ragheads out of England' being chanted as long as our government continues to allow Sharia law to be encouraged among some Muslim communities.
So does that make their race American? I'm really confused by all this. How does this translate into the stereotype pandering put forward in the OP?

If this was going to be done it would have to satirically take the point of view of some sort of extreme perspective. Basically a parody of the kinds of views being earnestly expressed by many of the people in this thread. Maybe the stats that gain bonuses do not actually affect the gameplay and the character creation system is just made by a racist moron. Perhaps the best route would be something in the vein of the hillarious Liberal Crime Squad in which there are only extremes and the Religion skill is simply "ones ability to be a conservative," and if a liberal operatives Wisdom gets too high they become a conservative etc.

The voice of the game and its menu systems is a stereotype in itself, it manages to ridicule extremism of all kinds because of the insane shit it comes out with all the way through the game.

My argument was first with your ridiculous statement that you cannot identify a persons' lineage by sight alone. I say lineage, because you can be born in England and still look like your grandparents' birthplace. America has been a country long enough, and has a unique enough geographical setup, for 'American' to be a race. It's similar to how the Irish have an interesting contempt for Irish Americans, because despite the latter's insistence on reciting their heritage, they are now American. Similar to how the mix of Celtic, Roman, Norse and Saxon genes has culminated in the modern Englishman, the melting-pot of races in America's founding has led to the American race. As I mentioned in a previous thread, I've only ever met one 'true' Englishman in my entire life. Well, two if you count his father. Black hair, blue eyes. Oddly rare, though I never noticed it till somebody else mentioned it. Direct descendant of the Cornovii, whereas I'm a descendent of the mag Fhionnghaile of county Donegal, Ireland. And people notice. I was not born in Ireland. I've spent all of a day in Dublin. And yet people hear Ireland in my voice, and see it in my appearance. Scotland too, but that's more to do with my father's Glaswegian influence.

So, what I'm trying to say is that being born in a country doesn't necessarily make you that race. Makes you that nationality, but not the race. I'm English, but the English attribute me to Irish, despite the Irish genes being fairly distant now.

but- but but but my whole point was that naitonality and race are two different things and that OP was being racist by folding the two together! Then you called me an idiot! :( What have we been arguing about? Hold me close sweet thyunda, we can make it through this racially diverse minefield together!

Arif_Sohaib

Jan 16, 2011
Useing real nations, cultures or political or relegious idealogies while being careful not to offend any particular one is complete fine and has been done already in Civilization, as many people mentioned.
Using a particular race thinking that they probably support a particular one of the above and are just better or worse at somethings is just wrong.

The only way it would be fine is if it is just used for terrain/weather(some races live in one terrain/weather while others live in another terrain and are better adapted to whicher one they live in) and disease immunity bonuses.Like one diesese could be more harmful to one race while another will be harmful to another race based on geography of where the race is and where the disease originates.

Agow95

Jul 29, 2011
I wouldn't feel offended if they had a harmless stereotype like "being Welsh gives you +5 mining" but there are hundreds of thousands of people who would be offended, more (including me) if it was "being African American gives you +5 street-crime" so it should be stereotypical to a certain degree

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
BlindTom said:
Thyunda said:
BlindTom said:
Thyunda said:
BlindTom said:
Can you tell me based on sight specifically which regions of the world each of these people hail from and which magical spells etc that they have been able to cast since gestation? I've never really had the knack for it so I'm curious if someone with such a vested interest in diversity might be able to help out an idiot like myself.
Yes. With ease. Well, for some of them. I'm not learned enough for all of them. Shockingly I can tell the difference between a continental African and a Caribbean. Oh, and I can make out both Indian and Pakistani faces in there. The upside down fellow I'm at a loss for, I can't get a good enough look to deduce anything. Now how did you find such a diverse group of people in one picture? That's got to be in America.

As for magical powers? That part was a joke. Jews don't automatically attract money, that's something known as 'stereotype humour'. Pakistanis don't all smell bad. Not all Africans are fast runners.

But you CAN separate them. People in this country continually use Indian and Pakistani interchangeably, despite the fact that Indians generally have a darker skin tone and less pronounced cheekbones than Pakistanis. Once again. It's a basic guide, not the 'identify every nationality super-easy' cheat code.
The only race I've had good contact with and yet still fail to identify without the accent is the Australian. Shockingly, they're not all crocodile-wrestling, bronzed types. All the ones I've met have managed to be ridiculously similar to the current English.

Oh, and as for the BNP? Try the EDL. Though the joke here is that the EDL were spawned as an overreaction to the Government's obstinate refusal to actually do anything about the foreigners that WERE causing trouble. As long as Islam4UK continues to operate, I will not condemn the EDL. I'm fine with 'get the dirty ragheads out of England' being chanted as long as our government continues to allow Sharia law to be encouraged among some Muslim communities.
So does that make their race American? I'm really confused by all this. How does this translate into the stereotype pandering put forward in the OP?

If this was going to be done it would have to satirically take the point of view of some sort of extreme perspective. Basically a parody of the kinds of views being earnestly expressed by many of the people in this thread. Maybe the stats that gain bonuses do not actually affect the gameplay and the character creation system is just made by a racist moron. Perhaps the best route would be something in the vein of the hillarious Liberal Crime Squad in which there are only extremes and the Religion skill is simply "ones ability to be a conservative," and if a liberal operatives Wisdom gets too high they become a conservative etc.

The voice of the game and its menu systems is a stereotype in itself, it manages to ridicule extremism of all kinds because of the insane shit it comes out with all the way through the game.

My argument was first with your ridiculous statement that you cannot identify a persons' lineage by sight alone. I say lineage, because you can be born in England and still look like your grandparents' birthplace. America has been a country long enough, and has a unique enough geographical setup, for 'American' to be a race. It's similar to how the Irish have an interesting contempt for Irish Americans, because despite the latter's insistence on reciting their heritage, they are now American. Similar to how the mix of Celtic, Roman, Norse and Saxon genes has culminated in the modern Englishman, the melting-pot of races in America's founding has led to the American race. As I mentioned in a previous thread, I've only ever met one 'true' Englishman in my entire life. Well, two if you count his father. Black hair, blue eyes. Oddly rare, though I never noticed it till somebody else mentioned it. Direct descendant of the Cornovii, whereas I'm a descendent of the mag Fhionnghaile of county Donegal, Ireland. And people notice. I was not born in Ireland. I've spent all of a day in Dublin. And yet people hear Ireland in my voice, and see it in my appearance. Scotland too, but that's more to do with my father's Glaswegian influence.

So, what I'm trying to say is that being born in a country doesn't necessarily make you that race. Makes you that nationality, but not the race. I'm English, but the English attribute me to Irish, despite the Irish genes being fairly distant now.

but- but but but my whole point was that naitonality and race are two different things and that OP was being racist by folding the two together! Then you called me an idiot! :( What have we been arguing about? Hold me close sweet thyunda, we can make it through this racially diverse minefield together!
But my argument was that nationality and race were almost the same thing! Nationality is only really different on a legal technicality! But it might be because I treat your nationality, not as the place you were born, but the race you are. Unless you're Irish-American and force everybody to hear about it. Then that makes you American.
But let me make more sense. If I moved to South Sudan with my girlfriend and we had a child, the child's nationality would be South Sudanese, but the kid would most definitely be...uh...a Scots-Irish Welshman...good God, this cannot be allowed to happen.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
TehCookie said:
Lilani said:
Americans are not a race. An American is simply an individual who is from America, or a citizen thereof. They could be black, white, native American, hispanic, asian, inuit...anything, really. And the same goes with Russians and Africans.

You seem to have your races and nationalities confused. A race is your familial heritage, that is your ancestral bloodlines. The genetic makeup of your ancestors and direct relatives. Nationality (or ethnicity) is simply the culture you are in or the people you are allied to. You can be black and African, or you could be black and American. You could also have been born an African, but later naturalized into an American, or vice versa.

And you might want to get these straight in the future...that is the kind of mistake that many people find incredibly annoying and ignorant, if not downright insulting. The way so many Americans seem to think we are a race is one of the reasons so many countries see us as so arrogant and, well, annoying.
So how is black a race? It's not a past nationality and blacks have a bigger genetic difference between them than whites do (source if college lecture, look it up yourself if you really need to know). Besides I've been told by many people that's also wrong and being 1/64th Indian does not make me part Indian since I look white. It's not like I have any bloodlines bigger than that so I also say I'm a mutt but what race would that make me?
It is a bit vague for a race, but it's still a description of your bloodline. Race isn't nationality, it's a group of persons related by common descent or heredity (according to dictionary.com). Again, black is a bit vague, but so is white and asian. But those are all still races, because they describe a group with a common heredity. That's why it's called "racism" not "nationalityism." People who are racist don't dislike blacks because of where they're from, they dislike them because they're black.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
I'd be interesting to see, considering that races does not actually exist. Not in the classic RPG-sense, anyway.

Your skin-colour or from which patch of the planet your great grandfathers came from won't give you 5+ in certain skills, just like that. If anything, it'd just be cosmetic, kind of like how it works in New Vegas right now.

Suicidejim

Jul 1, 2011
The media would formally execute you, and we'd get another "THIS IS WHY VIDEOGAMES CORRUPT OUR CHILDREN" reactionary firestorm. Honestly, I don't know. I could enjoy it if it was done well, but there'd be a fine line between that and offensiveness. I have no problem, for example, with a white guy having a boost to speech or something like that, but if a middle-eastern guy was handed a bonus to explosives, that might just cross the line a bit for me.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
BlindTom said:
Any RPG set in the The Real World(tm) already uses real races. Also races and nationalities are not the same thing, in fact your belief that they are is reminiscent of the outlooks of extremist parties like the BNP in Britain or whatever racist dickhead equivalent you think represents "The American Race."

Civilisation does not give bonuses to races. It gives bonuses to cultures and great leaders. That's a system of beliefs and an individual respectively. Completely different, the idea being thrown around in this thread that your race dictates what you think or who you follow is completely fucking batshit.

Do you want to be like these ladies escapists?

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/babes-of-the-bnp

Because that is what this sounds like.
Sweet Jesus, those people are idiots. Seriously, when they die, the average IQ of humanity will go up a fraction. It's bad enough that they're horribly bigoted, ill informed and racist to various degrees, but they're fucking brickshit stupid, too!

But would it be possible to maybe come to a compromise with a noble race like the Chinese? Perhaps keep them on as a sort of servant class?

Yeah. I wouldn't mind them if they actually worked and didn't take all of our jobs, basically. I wouldn't mind them if they contributed something to this country.
I wouldn't mind them if they actually worked and didn't take all of our jobs

SciMal

Dec 10, 2011
Thyunda said:
Species, genius. Races are a division of a single species.
They're closer to sub-species which can interbreed.

At least, that's the most popular definition since "Race" is an outdated term that's a chaotic carry-over from an era before genetics was discovered.

Now "Race" is usually meant as a genetically discrete populations of the same species, but for most scientists, it doesn't really exist. There isn't really a place for it because you're essentially saying, "When does ancestry become phylogeny and an interbreeding population differ enough genetically to be considered a race?"

Nobody has answered that question with any veracity, and probably never will because "race" is a completely subjective term. This is in contrast to "species" - which is fairly well defined as populations which can only breed within/between each other and can't interbreed with other members of the same Genus and produce fertile offspring. Easy to test, easy to define. You can even find a solid genetic basis for it.

Knowing this, the rest of your post is bunk... but I feel like bustin' chops today.

Also. American may not be a race, per se, but Russian certainly is. Descendants of the original Rus and the nearby territories have a unique build. Nationality and race ARE intrinsically linked. The Irish, for example, are a race. The Scottish are a race. The English are a race. The Welsh are a race. Despite inhabiting the same landmass (not including Ireland here, obviously). Welsh people are generally shorter and stockier than the English, and the Scottish are often bigger. Compare the Bretons and Nords from Skyrim and you have the difference between a Saxon and a Norwegian.
Those are all nationalities. They are not races. Just because your brain conjures up a stereotypical example of people from the region based upon your personal exposure and associations between the words and images of people doesn't mean they represent races.

You show this later on, but it's particularly poignant when you consider your second sentence. Americans aren't a race? Why not? Because it's only been a country for some ~240 years? Why aren't we English - since that's obviously where we came from? If you're talking Native Americans, why aren't they Asian - since that's obviously where they came from? What about Hawaiians? Are they Polynesian or American? How many generations in does it take to become "American" - whatever that actually means - instead of wherever their ancestors are?

While not everybody fits into these racial builds...
And this is exactly why nationalities aren't races (and really, humans don't have races at all)... but you don't seem keen on taking this point further because it clearly undermines everything you said.

...they are there, and there's no use denying them.
Phenotypic differences arise out of genetic factors interaction with environmental factors. Two people with the exact same genetics can look differently if they've been raised in different places, and two people who are wildly different genetically (well, as much as humans barely vary genetically) can look like family.

I'm not denying phenotypical differences, I'm saying that they're not a basis for race because they're unreliable. I have a friend who's Italian/Puerto Rican/Black. Guess what she gets called? Well, it depends on who's calling! In America she usually gets called Black, unless she's in the South or Southwest - then it's Latina. When she models in Europe, she gets called Italian. In reality, she's from New York.

Apparently she's 4 different races? How do you classify that taxonomically, again?

Homo sapien italias-dominicus-africanus-americanus?

Hell, even Americans appear to be developing their own, unique strand. Americans appear to have softer-looking faces and generally less pronounced features.
Brilliant. Is anybody really taking this guy seriously after this?

I mean, let's just set aside that Americans have higher-fat diets and will - obviously - have less noticable facial structure because of it (on average).

What about makeup? It's applied differenty depending on culture. What about hairstyles? What about clothing which emphasizes features? You, my good man, are saying that Americans appear to be a new race because women here eat more and apply their base layers differently.

That has to be it, not only because you're thinking exclusively of White Americans in your head (already a fallacy made fun of earlier), but it can't be anything else since most White Americans aren't more 5-10 generations removed from their "original" countries and that's an exceedingly short timeframe evolutionarily speaking.

If it wasn't a race, you wouldn't be able to recognise them on sight.
You can't. Not really. If my friend from New York doesn't absolutely blow your entire argument out of the water right here, I can find millions of examples where you - or ANYBODY - would be wrong in guessing their origin on sight alone.

I can guarantee it.

You're talking exclusively about cultural differences. Cultural differences are easily noticable on sight because each culture has its unique flairs. The USA has different clothing styles than Britain, which has different hair styles than Germany, which has different learned facial expressions than Sudanese, etc.

You are capable of noticing these, even on a subconscious level. The human brain is a MASTER at predicting and discerning subtle differences. This is why the Uncanny Valley even exists - if the reflection of a coffee cup in somebody's iris is different than the brain predicts it should be from a few feet away - alarm bells go off. If the brain can't discern multiple opacity values in skin tone, or hair-line wrinkles that aren't visible ten feet away, alarm bells go off. If your brain notices missing cues from refraction of light in the enviornment around the person that take up less than .01% of the entire image, your brain becomes suspicious.

Therefor, it is INCREDIBLY easy to see the differences in cultural style and the effects of varying nutrition across cultures. It's not hard to notice that the shirt some bloke is wearing has a different color scheme and pattern than the ones you've seen while shopping. It's not difficult to notice that the gal from Belgium has a different perfume.

It even varies in-country. Women from California on the sun-filled West Coast have a different style than women from my home state of Utah, which is nestled in the Rocky Mountains (and becomes inadvertantly hilarious when they realize it gets to be single-digit temps here [Farenheit] and SoCal doesn't normally dip below 60).

Are Utahns and Californians different races, then, just because I can tell the difference? Just because I have so much exposure to one that I can instantly and affirmatively tell the difference between Utah and not-Utahn? Could I then lump everybody into THOSE two races, Utahn and non-Utahn since I am sometimes incapable of telling where a non-Utahn came from, but definitely know they're not from Utah?

At best, your definition of "race" would last for maybe three generations, depending on the phenotype you were focusing on. It would be changing constantly, and any rule of measure that changes with the wind isn't useful.

Plus, where do people with Vitiligo fit in? What about Dwarfism - which arises from normal parents and gives birth to normal offspring whilst existing in every country known?

Your definition fits for you, and you alone. It can't be used by anybody else because it doesn't stand up to any sort of rigor or testing. It is not universal in any sense of the word, and can't be measured with any accuracy.

It is purely and completely subjective.

So yes. Nationality and race are very closely linked. If I can name real differences between neighbouring countries, then the OP has a fair point.
Right...