Poll: What is the most scariest / creepiest game you've played / seen?

raankh

Nov 28, 2007
Scary? I'm with the AVP2 Marine camp .... Nerve-wracking, but you get used to it rather quickly.

Creepy? Silent Hill 2 freaked me out a couple of times, 'specially Pyramid Head. I got used to the radio pretty quickly, although it was freaky as hell the first hours.

Disturbing? Actually, American McGee's Alice had me in a rather weird mood after playing extended periods; sort of darkly trippy and a bit out of whack. The dream sequences in Max Payne deserve a mention as well, I think.

jimmythenoob

Nov 27, 2007
raankh said:
Scary? I'm with the AVP2 Marine camp .... Nerve-wracking, but you get used to it rather quickly.

Creepy? Silent Hill 2 freaked me out a couple of times, 'specially Pyramid Head. I got used to the radio pretty quickly, although it was freaky as hell the first hours.

Disturbing? Actually, American McGee's Alice had me in a rather weird mood after playing extended periods; sort of darkly trippy and a bit out of whack. The dream sequences in Max Payne deserve a mention as well, I think.
i forgot about max payne! not only did its story pull me in there where many scary bits. im not just on about the dream scenes either, the begining with your dead wife and the whole baby thing freaked me out... or at least depressed/upset/made me think. actually im not sure how it made me feel, i just know they should make a movie of it -although it would probably end up terrible sadly.

Oct 31, 2007
Shadow Link said:
The fast zombie's in half-life 2 were pretty scary especially when they climbed up the drainpipes when you were on the buildings in ravenholm.

A part from that there isn't that many games that really give me a scare, Doom 3 was quite a bit funny rather then scary.
Doom 3 wasn't that scary, but it made up in frustration. Half way through i realized that from every stupid hole or dark corner in the game a monster was going to jump at me, so my fear was soon replaced with a burning anger and hatred to those damn demons spawning when i tried to take a sip of my soda. Although some enemies did creep me out, like the cherubs and the lost souls.

soladrin

Sep 9, 2007
kushiague said:
Shadow Link said:
The fast zombie's in half-life 2 were pretty scary especially when they climbed up the drainpipes when you were on the buildings in ravenholm.

A part from that there isn't that many games that really give me a scare, Doom 3 was quite a bit funny rather then scary.
Doom 3 wasn't that scary, but it made up in frustration. Half way through i realized that from every stupid hole or dark corner in the game a monster was going to jump at me, so my fear was soon replaced with a burning anger and hatred to those damn demons spawning when i tried to take a sip of my soda. Although some enemies did creep me out, like the cherubs and the lost souls.
cherubs didnt scare me.. they fulfilled my greatest dream... because i had a chainsaw...
i would agree though that the doom 3 lost souls are scarier then old doom's but nothing beats the cacodemon hiss imo... well, maybe a hell knight/baron of hell's scream... or the pinky's growling when they were far away or out of sight but active... "shivers"

Duckslayer

Nov 28, 2007
I can't believe no one has mentioned Hidden: Source. You really need to be in the mood for it, but it's scary as hell.

Also, F.E.A.R. had me shutting down the game from time to time, because I was to frightened to go on.

soladrin

Sep 9, 2007
never heard of hidden:source imo, and i never bothered to play fear because i just plain didnt like the whole hype, ive played for 5 mins at a friends place, and i was bored with it after 2 minutes, thus being a bored gamer for 3 minutes... and thats not a good thing with me.. but ya, im far to picky with gam.... everything

Mage26

Nov 9, 2007
I have to agree that Eternal Darkness is the scariest game I've played. It's every gamer's worst nightmare: you're playing a game and all of a sudden it says your memory card's been erased. "NOOOOO! HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN!?" Then your character will wake up and the little purple lunchbox laughs at you for taking it seriously.

Axulciex

Nov 28, 2007
Most scary game: Divi Dead

More of an interactive story book than a game, but its the scariest piece of horror genius I've ever come across, had to turn on the lights on several occasions.

2nd Most scary game: Far Cry

Play it on realistic difficulty; if a mutant even gets close your dead, no quick saves so dying actually has consequence. Only genuinely scary fps I've ever played.

Least scary horror game: Fear

Equivalent of a action fps with someone shouting BOO! behind you every 5 minutes.
Fuck the horror in this game is embarrassingly terrible, all cheap gags; little girls aren't scary in any context. Other than that the Game play was really good :D

ManBarrel

Oct 31, 2007
I'd vote for FEAR, Clive Barkers Undying, or System Shock 2... but given the options, I'd go for Half Life 2 for Ravenholm.

I also have high hopes for Dead Space as well at generating some exciting moments

soladrin

Sep 9, 2007
how the hell can you list far cry here.. including the mutants, far cry is the reason i boycot crytec lol, i played untill the first 3 mutants, then i went fuck this game and its makers, those guys are fucking idiots when it comes to stories, i've put the disc in my microwave :)

Selka

Nov 23, 2007
Silent Hill 2 is by far the scariest game I've ever played. You get used to the zombies and pyramid head and the static and shit after about five hours, but for those five hours it is some of most frightening shit I've ever experienced.
The section in Metroid Prime 3 when the Metroids first appear was actually pretty frightening, at least until you realize that the Metroid are easy as hell to kill and deal jack-shit for damage, but the atmosphere in those long winding tunnels and the lighting was impressive to say the least.
I haven't played System Shock 2 yet, but from what I hear I really want to. Bioshock wasn't really that scary for me, I just never got into it.
I never found any of the Resident Evil games frightening. 4 is the only one I've played that I have deemed worth-while, and that wasn't even supposed to be scary (nor was it). Clock Tower and Silent Hill are much better franchises.
When I was young, I had one of those unexplainable fear of clowns, and Kefka always creeped me out. I know the Final Fantasy series is not known for it's horror, but damnit, his laugh was something you'd expect to hear in a nightmare, especially when you're like 10 or something.

Duckslayer

Nov 28, 2007
soladrin said:
never heard of hidden:source imo, and i never bothered to play fear because i just plain didnt like the whole hype, ive played for 5 mins at a friends place, and i was bored with it after 2 minutes, thus being a bored gamer for 3 minutes... and thats not a good thing with me.. but ya, im far to picky with gam.... everything
Hidden: Source is a half life 2 mod. It's a game where one guy plays as an invisible dude with a knife and everyone else tries to kill him. It's free (but a bit bugged), so you should check it out.

soladrin

Sep 9, 2007
nah thanks, im not that in online gaming really, only play UT2k4 online currently (3 sucks arse)

Nov 28, 2007
Scariest, creepiest game I've played, has to be Galerians, it's still one of my favorite games despite the many design flaws. It wasn't scary because of things jumping out at your, or creepy music (in fact there really wasn't much music), it was all about the atmosphere, and the messed up story line. I don't actually think I'm a big fan of shooters/horror games, which is why i haven't really be able to finish any of the resident evil games I've started, but i can see why people loves those games, but Galerians holds a special place in my heart, and is a game I'll always enjoy going back to play, getting freaked out every time.

SpannerMan

Nov 28, 2007
Half Life 1

The section where, for the very first time, you are introduced to a large body of water - a scripted sequence halfway though the game forces you to fall in. The water is dark and dirty and so visibility is low, yet you know that deep down beneath you, swimming around you, are nasties. Dipping up and down, you are frantically searching for a way out of the water. And then you see them, the outline first, then the whole body of the mutated shark moving with great speed toward you. And you realise that no, your visibility is NOT low, these things are just Huge!
Its fantastic! You are panicked - Do my guns work under water? How do I swim? What the hell is in this water? The size of them!

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
The poll should allow a special selection for Resident Evil 4 since it's so different from the others in the franchise (and so much better)

Axulciex

Nov 28, 2007
soladrin said:
how the hell can you list far cry here.. including the mutants, far cry is the reason i boycot crytec lol, i played untill the first 3 mutants, then i went fuck this game and its makers, those guys are fucking idiots when it comes to stories, i've put the disc in my microwave :)
Farcry has one of the worst stories in gaming history, I didn't think I'd have to stress it because its common knowledge. But underlying the crappy story theres a game with awesome AI, top notch gun play, non-linear design, and fantastic graphics. How would a developer thats only ever produced one game (before crysis) get so popular? because FarCry was fucking sweet.

Farcry is scary because its ball stompingly hard. Your being hunted the entire game with an extreme disadvantage, if you slip up even a little your dead and get sent way back to the start of the checkpoint. Your actually scared to die, something no other fps has been successful in emulating.

If you cant see past the story, fair enough. Boycotting Crytek is stupid though, they didn't hire writers and they're going to learn from feedback.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
OK, I want to laugh at everyone who was scared by FEAR.

HINT: Long, empty corridors mean SOMETHING IS GONNA HAPPEN!!! One time when playing I literally said to myself "Oh, now, let me guess. Alma's gonna just-...OH, HIYA ALMA!!!" Really the only part that startled me was the ladder trick, fairly early on.

And carpeting an area with blood? Please, it's getting so old that I groan at the sight of it...and not out of fear.