Poll: What is your favorite race in Fantasy games?

Peteron

Oct 9, 2009
Ok, 75% of the reason I posted this thread is to distract all of you from Halo Reach threads. I mean, seriously, we get it, it is a good game, OK?! ...Well, anyway...what is your preferred race to play as in Fantasy games? Honestly, I have always been a Dwarf kinda guy. I like rushing in with a battleaxe or a gun, and it is just fun to play as the short grumpy guys. Funny thing is, I am the opposite of a Dwarf, seeing as I am quite tall and slim for a 16 year old. Anyway, what are all of your favorite races and why? There is an "other" section, but make sure you stick on the subject and don't just start screaming "Krogan of course!"

JWW

Jan 6, 2010
Humans. Dwarves are a close second, but humans get shit done.

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
it really depends on the interpretation. I love the gnomes from warcraft, and the dwarves from warhammer, whereas the dwarves in Dragon Age are a bit meh to me.

I generally like the Elves when they share more in common with their Fae kin, or when they have a more coherent society than 'we're perfect and live in trees'. There's something about The Fair Folk that appeals. I guess it depends on what kind we're talking about too. I like Blizzards exaggerated blood elves with HUGE ears, rather than the elves which are human besides slightly pointed ears.

I've always found my favourite are the Half-Elves though.

Bon_Clay

Aug 5, 2010
I like being something that actually looks different from a human. Human is too plain, I be one every day irl. Human with pointy ears, short human, shorter human and even weird colour human don't really do it for me. Out of the ones there orc I probably like the most, but anything that adds some real variety to the races and isn't being picked by everyone and their mother is a good option for me.

Edit: Other people have mentioned Lizardmen, that would work for me. In fact that's what I played in Champions of Norath 2 I believe.

CpnBeef

May 19, 2008
Other, it's all about the lizardmen.

It's been my primary choice wherever possible, namely oblivion but any game where i can be some sort of cold blooded man-iguana i will be.

dragons come a close second but no game EVER lets you pay as a dragon anymore :(

Peteron

Oct 9, 2009
The Amazing Tea Alligator said:
Where are my Dunmer?
Seeing as Dunmer are a species of elf, they are under the elf categorie. I decided not to go into specifics with elves. Sorry mate.

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
E-A-R-T-H! E-A-R-T-H! WHAT'S THAT SPELL? EARTH, EARTH, EARTH, EARTH!

Humans for the win, mothaphucka! It was humans that stormed the black gate and held fast against the black hordes at Mina Tirith! It was humans that beat back the Tyranids, humans that defeated the Zerg, and humans that put an end to The Flood! Human beings bested the Yuzhang Vong, stopped The Advent in their tracks, and put an end to the Scrin menace! A single human being destroyed a reaper, another toppled the entire Sith Empire AND THEN went to go wipe out their entire species, and yet another still ruined the Gods of Olympus themselves! Humans mastered the Pieces of Eden, conquered both the sky and the ocean floor, and made all of nature their slave! The Dwarves are greedy, the Elves are vain and cowardly, and everyone else is just plum useless!

We set off fission bombs in our only bioshpere! We flood our air and water with deadly poisons to weed out the week! WE NAILED OUR GOD TO A STICK!

DON'T FUCK WITH THE HUMAN RACE!

/Species patriotism

HeySeansOnline

Apr 17, 2009
Oh baby those hot bunny chicks from Final Fantasy get me ... uh I mean I'm a fan of the stock main race. Just allows me to get that "I'm a main character." feel. But If I'm feeling adventerous an elf will do, not the prissy elves, the Legolas elves. Even moreso undead, just for the zombie lulz and dark tones.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
None can compare to the cute fluffiness of the Moogles.

Peteron

Oct 9, 2009
HT_Black said:

Humans for the win, mothaphucka! It was humans that stormed the black gate and held fast against the black hordes at Mina Tirith! It was humans that beat back the Tyranids, humans that defeated the Zerg, and humans that put an end to The Flood! Human beings bested the Yuzhang Vong, stopped The Advent in their tracks, and put an end to the Scrin menace! A single human being destroyed a reaper, another toppled the entire Sith Empire AND THEN went to go wipe out their entire species, and yet another still ruined the Gods of Olympus themselves! Humans mastered the Pieces of Eden, conquered both the sky and the ocean floor, and made all of nature their slave! The Dwarves are greedy, the Elves are vain and cowardly, and everyone else is just plum useless!

We set off fission bombs in our only bioshpere! We flood our air and water with deadly poisons to weed out the week! WE NAILED OUR GOD TO A STICK!

/Species patriotism
Humans are great and all....but aren't they normally portrayed as the greedy ones, not the Dwarves? I just like to play as something different is all. I can be a human in real life, seeing as I am one.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Why would anyone pick human? It kind of ruins the point of fantasy.
Besides, you don't need to include Krogan on the poll since they're the Sci-fi equivalent of Dwarves.
Asari are elves; girly pretentious jerks who take away more from the universe than they add.

SirQuagsire

May 12, 2010
Humans, whenever I play or read a fantasy game (outside of the jrpg genre) I like to put myself in the game and the only way to do that is being a human. That and the fact that when playing a MMO, I feel less alienated from the game when playing human then other races. I prefer watching humans for hours on in. They look better in those roles then other races.

And fuck elves, god damn tree huggers

Peteron

Oct 9, 2009
Dango said:
None can compare to the cute fluffiness of the Moogles.

Those things are creeping me out, and staring into my soul....

(Btw guys, I know I do not have many Oblivion races but that is because I am using vaguer categories to fit into multiple games!)

Blue_vision

Elite Member
Mar 31, 2009
Elves, simply for the imagined hotness of elf sex...

wait what? No, I like them because they're tall, they're sneaky, they're noble, they're in tune with the environment, humble, and have a strong sense of spirituality.

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
Elves. They're hot.

I actually prefer the Japanese version of beastmen, which are basically cat-girls. But they're not on the vote list :(

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
Peteron said:
HT_Black said:

(snip)

Humans are great and all....but aren't they normally portrayed as the greedy ones, not the Dwarves? I just like to play as something different is all. I can be a human in real life, seeing as I am one.
HUMANS INVENTED THE CHARITY FOUNDATION OUT OF THE GOOD OF THEIR HEARTS.

THE FIRST DWARF CHARITY WAS OPENED FOR TAX REASONS AND PR.

CONCLUSION: HUMANS ARE THE BEST.