Poll: What is your favorite race in Fantasy games?

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
I've always had a soft spot for Orcs and Goblins. When they're not being portrayed as the mindless armies of an evil overlord they can actually be pretty intriguing characters.

I also tend to like Elves but only when they're portrayed as secretive and shadowy forest dwellers. The effeminate and prissy magical savants of some fantasy stories never really did anything for me.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Pingieking said:
Elves. They're hot.

I actually prefer the Japanese version of beastmen, which are basically cat-girls. But they're not on the vote list :(
This. As elves have in games have a tendency to be better with magic in fantasy games i tend to choose them over humans. What? Magic is awesome.

And Japanse versions of beast what i would actully choose...But it is not on the list.

Kitteh

Mar 31, 2010
Dwarves always have the largest noses, largest beards, largest battle-axes, and the largest glasses of ale. That is why they kick the most ass.

Unrulyhandbag

Oct 21, 2009
Blech! Tolkeinesque races?
Traditionally gnomes and dwarfs are underground spirits and the names were used interchangeably so gnomes, hobbits and dwarves could have been lumped together and the dwarves option replaced with beast-men.

Lizard-men and Furries for the win.

Unrulyhandbag

Oct 21, 2009
Kimarous said:
Generally speaking, I'm pro-Elf unless they have been "thoroughly messed up" in my eyes.
I'm pro-Farie. If you think elves have been messed with then the state of the beautiful all powerful monsters from another world should be making you cry.
Why did us Europeans replace terrifying supermen for the Asian style butterfly human hybrids with no magic to speak of?

I'd like, no demand, a game with real fey stealing children, driving men insane and casually flicking magic around before heading back to their own world.

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
Orcs, specifically the Warhammer 40,000 AD Orks. Because in the grim darkness of the 41st millenium the Orks are the only dudes just out to have fun. They even solved the poverty problem by the simple expedient of using their own teeth (which grow back and fall out) as currency. Now that's innovation that I can respect.

Akiada

Apr 7, 2010
If there's a beastman sort of option (Khajiit, Lizardmen, Charr and so on), that'll typically be my choice. I have a lot for that sort of character, and some ways of presenting it are pretty awesome, like the aforementioned Charr. 'Hey, we have feral cat-goat-things. Instead of making them hippies, let's given them an incredibly Darwinian outlook, a love of fire, and GODDAMN GUNS.' Best cat-goat-men ever.

Failing that, in an absence of such an option I tend to go for human, because humans are often well-rounded and a solid choice for any class in a game, and humans are just awesome, being us. Sometimes I play elves, though, as some respresentations of them are very awesome. TES' elves in particular. Even the tree-hugging "hippy" elves will shoot you dead and then eat your corpse.

Stollos

Sep 6, 2010
I played Tauren in WoW and every other fantasy race has kind of paled to that comparison for me. Plus they were absolutely beast in WC3. Literally.

moooo!