Poll: What is your nationality?

Subatomic

Sep 1, 2011
alexwbyrd said:
Seeing as (at least according to the poll) Belgians aren't numerous on the escapist, Belgium was not a good idea for the first seven possible answers :(
That may have to do with the fact that Belgium, while a lovely place, isn't that big (11 million people) compared to some other European countries like Russia (143 million), Germany (82 million), France (65,5 million) or Spain (47 million). The Netherlands aren't that much bigger either.

And considering I just rattled down a bunch of statistics, the captcha "pie chart" is very appropriate. :D

mrhappy1489

May 12, 2011
Frybird said:
Roggen Bread said:
Belgium and no Germany?

Well, okay then.

I am from Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia.

Maybe you have heard of the City of Cologne?
Likely more people have heard of Cologne than of "Roggen Bread"...or Roggenbrot...or Rye Bread : P. AFAIK it's the next most well known city after Berlin and of Course, there's the Gamescom.

We're sort-of Neighbors by the way.

Bonn (North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany)
Hey I know a bunch of German cities, you guys are my favourite country outside my own (Australia). So this isn't some low content post, let me list a bunch of cities of the top of my head, Bonn, Munich, Dresden, Frankfurt, Hamburg and my personal favourite Dusseldorf, which part of my family came from.

Phisi

Jun 1, 2011
Born in South Africa, Mum's South African and my Dad is Zimbabwean. Though I moved to Sydney in 2000 when I was just a wee lad and I hold Australian citizenship.

Karlaxx

Oct 26, 2009
BlumiereBleck said:
American by birth, Prussian, Austrian, Saxon(Contradictions everywhere.), Scottish and Dutch by hereditary. I hale from the wonderful state of Ohio, home of the world's highest library usage.
Highest library usage? Really? Well, that's something, at least...
Although now that I think about it, I'm more likely to see someone I know by going to the library in my city than to the mall.

Alexi089

Jun 26, 2011
FamoFunk said:
Karelwolfpup said:
FamoFunk said:
My nationality is Welsh/British. I am from Wales, in the U of K.

I shag Sheep.
well they are huggably rapably soft ^w^
They taste good too once you've had your wicked way with them then killed them!

Always remember your wellies so you can trap their back legs in them, otherwise they're right little fluffy buggers :mad:
lol. Those comments just put an idea in my head of: "...and now on S4/C, a welsh snuff film, with Dai Jones".

Oh, and UK also, Wales more specifically: Where the faggots are food, the beaches are picturesque and sandy (seriously, check out Gower ... when it's not raining) and the women are orange!

I've totally sold the place, haven't I?

thespyisdead

Jan 25, 2010
ukrainian, who was born in odessa, and now lives in finland

don't ask... to long of a story for the internet to care...

alexwbyrd

Jul 12, 2012
AnarchistFish said:
alexwbyrd said:
Well folks I'm incredibly astounded by the sheer amount of responses that I received in this forum. A great deal of the complaints and concerns posted are legitimate. The escapist does not allow any more than EIGHT possible answers to any given poll posted.

It's a damn shame cause there is such a great multitude of different people from different countries who have responded to this poll and, quite frankly, ONLY 8 POSSIBLE ANSWERS DOESN'T DO THIS POLL ANY JUSTICE SO THAT'S WHAT I HAVE TO WORK WITH.

I made my decision on which seven countries would be in the first seven answers based on what I felt would be the most prolific countries represented on the forums...AND BOY WAS I WRONG WITH SOME OF THEM.

This has been a greatly educational experience for me and I sincerely thank all who have to taken the time to post. Thank you so much!

TL:DR Version: I only have 8 possible answers that I can post and I had not as good an idea of what countries would be the most represented on the forums (but hey that's why I made this poll: so I can find out just that).
Yeah but, Belgium and the Netherlands? Above Germany? They have tiny populations in comparison. It's just a bit odd... especially since they're not even English speaking.

Notice how the USA overtook the UK after they all woke up, haha. I forget that the US time zones are about 6 hours behind our one.
yeah more prominent European countries should have been featured in the first 7 regardless as to whether they're English speaking or not. Oh well still a surprisingly successful thread for a first outing :)

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
TopazFusion said:
YAY!!

There's an option for New Zealand!

[sub]For some reason NZ is always left out in these threads, and we have to vote "other" or, heaven forbid, "Australia".[/sub]

Anyway, yes, New Zealand. Live here, was born here.
I hope you're not late for the next baynd meyting.

OT: In terms of descent, I am one of the most British people ever. True story.

alexwbyrd

Jul 12, 2012
And considering I just rattled down a bunch of statistics, the captcha "pie chart" is very appropriate. :D[/quote]

lol wow I'm starting to think those captchas are a little beyond coincidence. It's like they know.

Mausthemighty

Aug 3, 2011
Eleuthera said:
Yay, first to vote Netherlands, and we're even on the list for a change (which is somewhat strange since there are only 10-20 Dutch people on this board...)
Ahem. Dutchie here. I think you underestimate us, my fellow countryman!

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
I am from Ukraine, country of beautiful women, great cuisine and finest architecture.

Absimilliard

Only you can read this.
Nov 4, 2009
"Other" - specifically Norwegian.
I currently reside and study in Oslo (the capital), but hail from Fredrikstad, somewhat further south.

And I'm not really offended that Norway wasn't an option; we only passed five million inhabitants this year, and even though a huge percentage of us are online, we're still a fairly small minority of the people of the web...

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
AnarchistFish said:
Is the general opinion of the British in Argentina similar to the British's opinion on Argentina?
No idea, i have to be in BRITANIAAAAAA!! to know that. You kind off assume that British people ACTUALLY live here instead of being just tourist, and to be honest, the British are more RARE to find than black people here.

Here is my opinion how I see the tension between both countries...if you are willing to risk
I assume that both countries just want to scream at each other saying in synch: "You stole what is RIGHTFULLY mine" with a hand in the hearth and the conviction of a total sociopath that believes in his own lies.

Buuuuuuuuut, to be fair, the only reason I could be upset about BRITANIAAAA! is that your people striked us in a moment of weakness for the entire country, because we were under the control of a "De Facto" Totalitarian Government that suppressed and FORCEFULLY send our sons to a war on The Falkland Islands (Las Islas Malvinas, as we still know it).

Lets not forget that your Margaret Thatcher gave the orders of sinking a ship, General Belgrano (which had survived the attack on Pearl Harbor as the American USS Phoenix), that not only was there to act as supply of medical support and such because it was UN-ARMED, but also was sunk outside the pre-arranged war-zone to a British submarine.

So yeah, having our children sent to the meat grinder without training and against their will and seeing how a powerful force is taking away everything under dubious circumstances while the rest of the planet doesn't say anything to point out that is not a good memory to have. And how convenient that a badly done MOVIE (that in no way comes as a propaganda film by sheer incompetence, honest) about the Iron Lady JUST HAPPEN to be released when the tensions about the negotiations of the islands were at his highest and when one of YOUR princes came to the Islands to do who knows what. Probably he went there to supervise the relocation of the pieces of the General Belgrano to make sure that they were IN the combat zone so they dont get called out for being murderers OR maybe he was there just to get killed by a "convenient" misunderstanding or an Spy from Argentina so they have a reason to finish us all and burn all the documents that say that they fucked up (Dont look at me like that, i played my own share of RTS and i am a cynical bastard, i know that it is PERFECTLY valid to send people on the front to die first as much that is to start war by saying that "they attacked us first, we were just defending ourselves")

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/5217-Iron-Lady

When i have to AGREE with Movie Bob with something like that, you know that its the end of the world already. Oh Joy -_-

Now, the fair part comes with the fact that TODAY isnt the same as 20+ years ago. I side with the weak people that couldn't do anything back then, but today, the people is just Too Dumb To Live, and if they life sucks is because they CHOOSE it to be that way. They DESERVE to be invaded for its stupidity.

I wouldn't mind if your people come here and start a government ("for our own good" as always of course)

So, it is there anything nice i could say about BRITANNIAAAAA!!? well, Benny Hill is fun, and so is Monty Phyton. The british accent of Tony Jay is badass and so is the rest of the cast of Legacy of Kain. And Filmbrain from TGWTG at least does decent reviews.............and that is pretty much it.

Whitewillow

Mar 30, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
Whitewillow said:
canadamus_prime said:
Whitewillow said:
I'm 5th generation West coast Canadian. From Vancouver specifically. And noting all the references to Canadian weather, I'll just say that B.C. has the mildest weather in Canada. We're somewhat spoiled.
I have 2 sisters that live in Vancouver.
Oh good! More Cascadia converts!
Now if only I had some idea of what that meant.
Heh. It's most of the West coast of Canada and the U.S. There's a book about how the region has a specific kind of mindset and way of being. Quite interesting.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Whitewillow said:
canadamus_prime said:
Whitewillow said:
canadamus_prime said:
Whitewillow said:
I'm 5th generation West coast Canadian. From Vancouver specifically. And noting all the references to Canadian weather, I'll just say that B.C. has the mildest weather in Canada. We're somewhat spoiled.
I have 2 sisters that live in Vancouver.
Oh good! More Cascadia converts!
Now if only I had some idea of what that meant.
Heh. It's most of the West coast of Canada and the U.S. There's a book about how the region has a specific kind of mindset and way of being. Quite interesting.
Oh I wasn't aware of that. Oh well I have lots of family on the West Coast.

ShaqLevick

Jul 14, 2009
Representing Halifax, Nova Scotia right here!! Straight out of Canada and I couldn't imagine why I'd ever leave this Maritime paradise. Seriously it's always beautiful here so bring on all your foreign money to my neck of the woods.

asacatman

Aug 2, 2008
Seriously, Belgium? The fuck is Belgium doing next all those other countries that are actually relevant to anyone?

No but seriously, Belgium is a tiny country, and it makes no sense whatsoever to include it in the poll.

I'm from the UK by the way...

MiriaJiyuu

Forum Lurker
Jun 28, 2011
aba1 said:
I live in Ontario Canada about a hour outside Toronto in a place called Oshawa. We get a fairly ranged degree of weather I suppose very hot summers and very cold winters sometimes to cold to even snow.

Canada tends to host a lot of different cultures in it so people have this weird tendency to not really identify themselves as Canadian and more with there heritage here.

Ummm second biggest country in the world. We have a railway that goes across the entire nation. Our provinces are bigger than most countries so naturally not many people who live here ever even see the entire nation or even go to every province. We have a insanely diverse landscape from some of largest mountain ranges to flat as far as you can see.

In Quebec most people speak french so we have 2 national languages French and English which is taught in all school from a young age. We have a lot in common with the US except we tend to be more laid back with issues that are rather large there. We are a very peaceful country most of us are very proud to be so.

I dunno I am sure some others will add to this I suppose.
You missed the fact that we can't climb the trees around here, you know they actually fine you in this city?

Well That and we all live along the south border pretty much and haven't had an actual winter in 3 years :p. Seriously, when did it last snow in Durham all winter?