Poll: What is your stance on JRPGs?

ZerOmega

Sep 14, 2008
Cama Zots said:
I hate to say it, but a lot of them just 'feel' like FF rip offs. There are exceptions for this, there are some really good ones like Fire Emblem.
I wouldn't define Fire Embel as an JRPG. It's more of an strategy game with RPG elements in it.

robcd

Jul 22, 2009
I find them fun, but always get tired of the lack of choice after a while. Like someone else said, kind of like a "drama with cartoons."

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
I refuse to pick the one with the little <3 thing. But I enjoy JRPGs the SMT is full of win so is Skies on the dreamcast.

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
Not a fanatical fan, but I enjoy a good JRPG. Generally I like the ones with more colorful, animesque art styles like the Tales games or a lot of SNES JRPG's, as opposed to more "realistic" (in quotes because I know just how stupid that sounds) ones like Final Fantasy XII (just the example that came to mind. I didn't think that specific game was bad, just disappointing).

And I don't care what you think about JRPG's, Chrono Trigger is awesome.

HonorableChairman

Jan 23, 2009
historybuff said:
Some are good, some are crappy--just like in every gaming genre.
Good answer.

And I don't see what anime has to do with JRPGs at all, except maybe the aesthetics. For the record, I enjoy anime, but that doesn't mean I automatically like all JRPGs.

Mylon

Jan 8, 2008
JRPGs are all so bland and uninteresting. Waste 10 hours fighting a bunch of meaningless drones that pose no challenge, then fight a boss that's immune to all of your fancy status effects (in other words, represents nothing more than a giant mass of HP). And they all have very similar mechanics too, which also bugs me.

That said, I found the Disgaea set of games to be very refreshing. Cute, not entirely too serious, lots of things to do, and it at least tried to make the games more tactical, though the post-game ended up all about one-shotting stuff.

Cama Zots

Jul 10, 2009
InvisibleSeal said:
I have watched a few anime, but I don't like them that much to be honest; they just seem like dramas with cartoons, so just like any other shows - except alot of the women have *ahem* enhances proportions, which is very very irritating. At the same time though, they seem okay, just the shows normally aren't anime.

I love JRPGs... but at the same time I love other game genres as well. There are lots of annoying things about most JRPGs just the same as any other type of game, such as:
Cama Zots said:
I hate to say it, but a lot of them just 'feel' like FF rip offs. There are exceptions for this, there are some really good ones like Fire Emblem.
However I will admit that my favourite game is a JRPG, even if people will hate me for it (FFVIII).
There is nothing wrong with ripping something GOOD off. But continued abuse is a problem. After the success of Halo 2, every game aspired to be its spiritual sequel. If this continued, the gaming world would be very bland and The Lone Wanderer from vault 101 would end the game driving on the top of a massive space ship shooting at vertibirds as they ferry troops for him to run over.

Crabturtleking

Jun 2, 2009
ZerOmega said:
Cama Zots said:
I wouldn't define Fire Embel as an JRPG. It's more of an strategy game with RPG elements in it.
I'd call it a SJRPG (Strategy Japanese Role-playing Game, for those unawares of my acronym)

Biek

Mar 5, 2008
I think ive grown too old for them. The usually morale heavy storyline4s just sound dumb to me nowadays. The last JRPG I attempted to enjoy was Valkyria Chronicles and I actually ragequit during the opening intro. But thats also because im a European with an interest WWII history and dislike for Japanese pop culture.

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
Cama Zots said:
If this continued, the gaming world would be very bland and The Lone Wanderer from vault 101 would end the game driving on the top of a massive space ship shooting at vertibirds as they ferry troops for him to run over.
A lot of people would consider that an improvement from what they actually did.

Bored Tomatoe

Aug 15, 2008
I can't stand turn based combat, and the art design in JRPG's just isn't really my thing. So I stick with western RPGs.

neocenturion

Sep 1, 2008
I'm a pretty big fan of JRPG's. I'd like to qualify that statement, however, by saying that just like every other genre of games, there is a awful lot of crap to sort through to find the gems.