Poll: What is your view on a "polyamory" relationship?

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
I would have said no until I actually got into one of those relationships. You see, I liked this girl enough that I felt I could endure her having another boyfriend. She was with him before me, so she wasn't really an option to me otherwise. I felt and acted just like Fry in that Futurama Movie lol. To my surprise it worked out, at least the polyamorous part. I actually got along with the other guy, it was the girl I ended up having conflict with. It had nothing to do with the other guy either, it was just typical relationship nonsense that ended up separating us.

Go fig

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
I would be alright with having a 3-some or the like as long as everyone is okay with it, but I would not be okay with my girlfriend doing stuff without me present, nor would I feel that it'd be appropriate to do stuff without my girlfriend present, even if she knew what was happening and even encouraged it.

GigaHz

Jul 5, 2011
ch0pstixZ said:
EDIT: My poll broke, and edit wont let me fix it. Options were Yes, No, and Maybe
I only planned on voting 'yes' anyway. :p

Seriously though, it's a good fantasy but I don't believe this kind of a relationship is possible. Especially considering that some people have a hard enough time pulling off monogamy.

The only way I could see this working is through shallow interest, like if say you were a rich male and 3 women feigned love toward you because you were wealthy.

Judging from my experiences with women who actually gave a damn about me, they would erupt at the thought of having to share my time between them and another woman. Hell, some of them didn't even want me having female friends.

And if the shoe were on the other foot, I sure as hell wouldn't want to share a girl with another guy.

Now if I ever found a relationship with two bi-sexual women that wouldn't mind sharing me... Hahahaha. That will NEVER happen!

But if it does, I'm taking pics.

Necroid_Neko

Nov 24, 2011
No, I wouldn't want to be in a relationship with multiple people nor would I want my partner to be, it's just the way I was brought up. And the fact that women have developed the sexual stratgey of looking for a man who will be emotionally committed only to her because that way he will look after and provide for her offspring and hers alone, hence giving them the best chance of survival.

Also, what's the point of giving us a poll if there's only one option?

SonofaJohannes

Apr 18, 2011
Nah, doesn't sound like my thing. I'm one of those guys that just want to meet the right one and settle down. Also, more than one partner seems awfully time consuming.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Nope. I think polyamory relationships are more or less a lie. I just don't think that they can work and that anyone in one is lying to themselves. Humans are possessive, we don't share well with others, especially not lovers.

Onyx Nailo

Nov 14, 2010
Here's the thing I don't think you can be "in love" with more than one person at a time mostly because I'm one of those people who believes in "one true loves" and "soul mates". I do however think that you can be attracted to more than one person at a time and be in a serious relationship with more than one person at a time because everyone does it everyday. I don't believe in the term poly-amorous, most open relationship like that that I have observed tend to have more to do with lust than love so perhaps the term is miss-named?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I'm pretty much a 1 woman man, if that's what you're asking. Hell I'd sell my left nutsack right now just to have that 1 woman. Screw polygamy!

Richard Keohane

Dec 11, 2010
Polyamorous relationships don't seem long term to me. If you are in a X-Y1-Y2 (just make up the genders) relationship, will Y1 be okay moving if Y2 gets a perfect job halfway across the country? What if Y1 develops a terrible medical issue, would Y2 be okay with you spending all your time caring for Y1?

You can juggle two people really well in the short term, but I don't think anyone can serve two masters (or lovers) forever.

EDIT:

I realize that most of the poly relationships I've seen have been two people orbiting one main person, so that's what I based my opinion on. If three people are all truly in love with each other, then I don't see why it wouldn't work. They could really be one unit.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
As an asexual but wanting a family some day, I can't help but wonder about this kind of thing. I mean, I don't want to be one of two wives or something, and as the mother of my hypothetical future husband's child, I'd want myself and our offspring to remain first priority, but I don't know if I could fulfill their needs on a sexual level, and I would hate to ask of them to eschew entirely their natural urges.

So, no, I'd never want to be in a relationship that was polyamorous on all levels, but I could live with my spouse having a fuck buddy with the three of us understanding and comfortable with the situation and each other.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
I'm pretty much a 1 woman man, if that's what you're asking. Hell I'd sell my left nutsack right now just to have that 1 woman. Screw polygamy!
Left... nutsack...

You have multiple scrotums? O_O

OT: No thanks. It just doesn't seem right.

theravensclaw

Oct 13, 2010
Doesnt really float my boat, I fail enough with only one partner to please, however I have friends who are polygamous and it works great for them. As long as its consenting and not hurting anyone I don't really care what people do in their bedrooms.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Have tried it. Unsure if I'd be willing to try it again. I suppose it depends on the people involved.

There are upsides and downsides to all forms of relationships. I think why so many of them fail is people go into them with skewed expectations. They think that the feeling they get when they first start the relationship will last for the entire duration of the relationship, and when it doesn't (because it never, ever does, even if the person involved is perfect for you) they think something must have gone wrong.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Nope. I don't like sharing, and honestly, the whole thing is absurd to me. I don't understand why you would want more than one wife, husband, whatever, and the whole open-relationship deal doesn't appeal to me because I see that as more of a lust thing than a love thing.

Different strokes for different strokes, I guess.

If and when I get a guy, I ain't sharing.

bauke67

Apr 8, 2011
It might just be my pc being annoying, but the poll only gives me one option saying: "yest"
So I guess I'm just not gonna be participating in the poll.

EDIT: didn't see the edit in time

Yukichin

Mar 26, 2009
I couldn't do it. I'm a monogamous guy, physically and emotionally; an open relationship, much less an actual polyamorous relationship, is something I could never do.

However, I have no problem if others want to do it, provided they're not trying to force me into a relationship of that kind. I see no reason to criticize them provided they're not hurting others/everything is consensual.

Rottweiler

Jan 20, 2008
I am not for it.

From my experience, poly relationships have their issues. (To be fair, monogamous relationships have issues too, no one is claiming otherwise.)

From my experience, poly relationships have problems and temptations beyond 'normal'. Mind you, that observation doesn't have anything to do with the people involved, in an of themselves. However, the 'scene' usually associated with poly relationships has a lot of temptations which can cause problems which monogamous relationships have a greater resistance to.

To explain...the issue I've seen from poly relationships is that the assumed structure is much more open to abuse. Culturally and socially, in a monogamous relationship if one has relations with another, it's considered 'cheating' and (in theory) is Bad. However, in a poly relationship, it's much harder for others to know when someone is 'allowed' or not, which means it's far easier to conceal such activities.

In addition, in a poly relationship, boundaries can be (can be, not are- I have seen several very stable poly relationships) pushed too far without anyone realizing it. By the time those boundaries are broken, often it's impossible to go back.

In short, my main issue with poly relationships is that they have less resilience and lesser boundaries to keep members together, which can lead to more issues than in monogamous relationships and less stability.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Too much emotional balance to work out. Not for me, and given how many relationships I've seen fail for others among my age group and peers, it's probably rather unstable for the average person.

scar_47

Sep 25, 2010
With the right people I'd be willing to give it a shot, most of the issues exist within a 2 person relationship so I don't think there'd be a lot more issues are work because theres a few more people involved.