Poll: What type of RPG do you prefer?

infinisynth

The man
Jul 31, 2009
I don't prefer any particular "style" I hold a special place in my heart for certain title from each area.

Andantil

May 10, 2009
All three. Scantily clad girls with guns/swords and burly men with guns/swords appeal to me equally.
As a gaming aspect, that is.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Western.

I cannot stand Anime, and all JRPG's are developed with the "anime art direction" in mind. I can't stand in any way, shape or form turn based combat; I find it boring. It leaves room for no improvisation and it doesn't feel like you're actually fighting, it feels more like you're just issuing orders and I hate that. I want to be able to feel like I'm actually fighting, not just there to provide directions.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
I think Mass Effect pretty much summed up all the elements I look for in an rpg... Character and team customization, action based gameplay, unique and good story, good score high production value and length.

A few others I have really keen on were Kotor 1 + 2, vampires-bloodlines, Jade Empire and the elder scrolls games.

I really don't like turn based number crunchers like most all JRPG's which is a shame because I know I'd love the stories of FF and things like Lost Odyssey and Eternal Sonata.

Pokemon blue I could handle because it was simple, most I've come across since have been overly difficult... Lotr the third age for example, did anyone ever complete that game??

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
iamq said:
Damn it! I was so sure you ment the rocket-propelled-grenade type of RPG.

I don't know what kind of RPG's I like. I've only played Oblivion, and I didn't enjoy it alot. So I guess I don't like western RPG's then, possibly not J-RPGS eLEither since I hate turn based combat.
Oblivion is not the Jesus of Western RPG's...
Here's a list of WRPG games you should play: Any Bioware game, Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2, Morrowind, Fable 1 and 2, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Fallout series, Baldur's Gate, Diablo series, Jade Empire, The Witcher

Bilbo536

Sep 24, 2009
Actually, now that I think about it, I love both Western and Japanese RPGs. But I actually have no idea what a Korean RPG is. If Western focuses on customization, Japanese on plot, what is Korean known for? What's an example of one? Can anyone help me out here?

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
Bilbo536 said:
If Western focuses on customization, Japanese on plot, what is Korean known for?
Grinding.
Bilbo536 said:
What's an example of one?
Just type in "Free MMO" in Google and you will find hundreds of Korean RPG's.

Georgeman

Mar 2, 2009
I would say that I like both Western and Japanese Rpgs equally, but then, I would be lying.

While I had fun with Final Fantasy IV+VI, Tales of Symphonia, Baten Kaitos and The World Ends With You, none of them managed to surpass Planescape: Torment. Baten Kaitos and World Ends With You came pretty close, but alas no cigar. And there are other great Western Rpgs like the Baldur's Gate saga, Mask of the Betrayer, KotOR and Jade Empire (I love Bioware Rpgs). So, I cast my vote for Western Rpgs. Maybe I'll change my mind when I get to play Persona 3+4, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

Oh, and since the majority of Korean Rpgs are MMOs, I hate them.

Delritho

Aug 12, 2009
Doug said:
GestaltEsper said:
Doug said:
Woodsey said:
Western, since they actually seem to RPGs, not just 300 hours and 4 discs worth of emo's.

Yup, I stereo-typed.
Hehe, yeah. Also, they are games, not overly long movies with occasional button presses to help things along ;)

Stereotyping, woo!
Come to think of it, is it just me or are JRPG's the only genre you can get away with stereotyping?
Not sure what you could stereotype WRPGs as.
Wanna know how to stereotype WRPGS?

Four words.

Lord of the Rings

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Delritho said:
Doug said:
GestaltEsper said:
Doug said:
Woodsey said:
Western, since they actually seem to RPGs, not just 300 hours and 4 discs worth of emo's.

Yup, I stereo-typed.
Hehe, yeah. Also, they are games, not overly long movies with occasional button presses to help things along ;)

Stereotyping, woo!
Come to think of it, is it just me or are JRPG's the only genre you can get away with stereotyping?
Not sure what you could stereotype WRPGs as.
Wanna know how to stereotype WRPGS?

Four words.

Lord of the Rings
Fair enough, fair enough. But I should point out, the Elves, Dwarves, and Orcs actually stretch back in European folklore for at least a thousand of years (the Norman invaders of England in 1066 where called 'Orcs' because that word mean Demon/Outsider). Ok, people use Tolken-esk stuff, but really, JRPGs just use the same area of sci-fi. And there own folklore, involving spirits and creatures...

Anywho, yeah, to much Tolken copying sometimes ;)

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
I like JRPG's more. I just never got into games like Fallout 3. I don't like too much freedom and exploration. Don't get me wrong, I like free roaming, but I don't like really big worlds where it demands enormous amounts of exploration.

My favourite JRPG's are Final Fantasy VII and Chrono Trigger.