Poll: What type of RPG do you prefer?

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Arachkid said:
AndyFromMonday said:
Western.

I cannot stand Anime, and all JRPG's are developed with the "anime art direction" in mind. I can't stand in any way, shape or form turn based combat; I find it boring. It leaves room for no improvisation and it doesn't feel like you're actually fighting, it feels more like you're just issuing orders and I hate that. I want to be able to feel like I'm actually fighting, not just there to provide directions.
Lol what RPGs have you been playing, you issue orders to at least one person in all RPG games.
Theres also Persona 3 where you only have one character to control.
But it's in real time. You issue an order to a character to attack, he will attack in real time. You can set up ambushes or flank your enemies using that character. In JRPG's on the other hand you simply issue orders then watch how everything is automated from then on. It doesn't leave room for improvisation.

Also, what RPG's have YOU been playing? Diablo 2, Morrowind, Oblivion...I can't remember issuing orders to characters in those games.

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
Western all the way.

I'm tired of all the generic, animu, pretty-boy designs that come with ever single fucking JRPG. Not to mention, the gameplay for these JRPGs have hardly changed over the years. Also, the whole "LOVE WILL SAVE THE WORLD. PRETTY FLOWERS" bullshit inherent in many JRPGs has me turned off.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
Joeshie said:
Vlane said:
Joeshie said:
Not to mention, the gameplay for these JRPGs have hardly changed over the years.
You can say that about every genre.
True, but JRPGs tend to be the most guilty genre of doing this outside of fighting games.
I don't know about that.

If I compare something like Final Fantasy I to Baten Kaitos the only thing they have in common is the turn-based combat and that's it. Baten Kaitos has the cards, this system which calculates your damage, etc.

And of course we still have the SMT series.

ranasan

Jun 17, 2009
Western, but I also dabble a bit with JRPGs because I'm a fan of turn based combat, but if you take that away then the game is dead to me then. For example, Infinite Undiscovery. The storyline is just awful, you're a huge coward and there's this Sasuke look-a-like who does nothing but insult and harrass you, I think at one point he assaults you too. But when he gets sick everyone expects you to save his life even though he is nothing but an ass to you. If this had turnbased combat I'd keep playing, but it doesn't. And since it seems that Turnbased combat is a dying game mechanic, I will probably stop playing JRPGs all together

Ammadessi

Oct 6, 2009
For me, JRPGs are definitely my favorite. But I can see why they're a dying genre outside of Japan with these attitudes.

For me, playing a JRPG is like taking an active role in reading a good book. Instead of "being" the character, you're guiding an established character through their adventure. I can see why this wouldn't appeal to a lot of gamers, but I enjoy it a lot more than playing an uncharacterized, faceless drone in an FPS, or a blank slate in a western RPG. Not to say I don't play or enjoy Western RPGs, I just like JRPGs better.

Are there clichés? Sure. Are they annoying? Sure. Are there clichés in every form of media? Absolutely!

Then there's the turn-based combat thing. I'm the only one who still enjoys it, aren't I? I like having time to plan out my battle strategy, rather than having a frenetic button-mashing fest.

It's all down to personal preference, all I can hope is that my preferred genre of games doesn't go by the wayside just because it's not the most popular thing out there anymore.

EzraPound

Jan 26, 2008
Uhhh... I like JRPGs, just mostly those not dev'd by Square/Enix: Harvest Moon, Legend of the River King, Pokémon Red/Blue, Pokémon Gold/Silver, Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario, Shenmue, and Shenmue II are all favourites (that said, I have a weakness for FFVII and know SMRPG was co-developed by Square).

WRPGs are good, too - Morrowind, Ultima, Fallout, Deus Ex, KOTOR and the like. Between these games and the ones listed above, it'd be pretty tough to pick a preferred 'school' of design.

Zaksav91

Oct 16, 2009
williebaz said:
Zaksav91 said:
I'm curious what people think about RPGs based on what region it's created. For me, I like the "freedom" of Western RPGS but I also love the story of most Japanese rpgs (such as final fantasy). I'm not a fan of the Korean rpgs and its emphasis on grinding though. How bout you guys?
Just trying to be helpful; you said "All three", you only gave 2 options.
So I expect your not a fan of Korean RPGs either :)

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I gotta admit the Western RPG's have more of an appeal to me then most JRPGs, I love being able to build my character from scratch. Although I don't mind the occasional JRPG, after all I still name Chrono Trigger as one of my favourite games of all time. As for Korean RPGs, I didn't even know there were any such thing.