Poll: What would you do if you found a Death Note

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
I would burn it. Not interesting in spending my afterlife in Ryuk's eternal limbo...

Also, no matter how much I'd have tried to hide it, that sort of thing attracts the entirely wrong kind of attention eventually.

Ubersupersloth

Jan 11, 2013
I would lock it up, not burn it because if it was burned, someone else could use it (they change owners if burned, right?), I wouldn't use it because then I "can neither go to heaven nor hell" I'm not too keen on the idea of purgatory...

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Ronald Nand said:
For anyone who hasn't seen the anime, the death note is a mystical book where you can kill anyone by simply imagining their face and writing their name, so you can kill anyone if you know their name and face. They come from Shinigamis whom are death gods.
burn it, find it's own name and write it down.. whatever it takes just anything that means it's safe from mark zuckerberg clearly it's the last piece of his global annihilation machine.

Vareoth

Mar 14, 2012
Absolutely burn it. I can't trust myself with such power nor do I trust anyone else with it. Killing "evil" people is all fine and dandy until you realize that their deaths will have have unforeseen consequences that might be even worse in comparison to the original situation.

Though I might use it if I could booby trap it in a way that would kill anyone else who tries to use it later.

Ubersupersloth said:
(they change owners if burned, right?)
If that is the case I would have to lock it away as well.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Burn it instantly. People don't have control over the world, and causing random deaths (especially of public figures) is pretty much guaranteed to have huge ramifications and effects that we don't like.

As amusing as it is that many people in this thread think that they know the best way to send the world on ("I'd kill these extremely important government figures, what could go wrong?") it's distressing that they haven't figured out that there IS NO "right" answer.

Also, if anyone found out, the first act they'd do upon stealing (or even accessing) my death note is burn it or write MY name in it. I'll beat them to the punch and burn it myself.

EDIT: If they change owners when burned, I'd black the whole thing out with markers and lock it in my safety deposit box and throw away the key.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
I'd start out using it for 'good'. My version of it at least. All people that are known severe criminals, like the gang leaders running their gangs from prison would go in there right away if I could find out their name. Serial rapists, anyone that committed a planned murder, willing torturers (or if not, the people forcing them to do so), etc.

Later on I'd probably start using it for personal gain. I don't consider myself such a good person that I think the 'power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely' saying won't affect me.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Gormech said:
Burn it. If I remember correctly, there's a part in the anime where Light is told that by using the death note, he will never be able to go to heaven. Kind of a double edged sword scenario with the thing. If I'm just imagining things, sparingly.
Yeah, the OP left off the part in the poll wherein by using the Deathnote you're denied access to heaven or hell, you just cease to exist. Despite your feelings on the subject now, if a Deathnote is confirmed to exist by the premise of this poll, then in that case, so is an afterlife, which you would be giving up in order to end others' lives.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
I see myself in this situation as Boromir. An object of such overwhelming power that I could shape the course of history and improve the world, removing those who are truly evil and self-serving. Not those in a bad situation with no way out, those who put others into bad situations and keep them there for their own personal gain.

But who could wield that kind of absolute power and not be changed by it. Would I still be the same person after I wrote the first name? To know that I had the ability to make someone cease to exist with but a few marks of a pen would irrevocably change my psyche and my world-view. I could so easily become the greatest monster humanity ever faced and who would there be to stop me?

I'd burn it.

EDIT: Seeing as others haven't taken this quite as seriously as I did, I'd write the pope's name. Struck by lightning. At the moment he chooses to bless or thank god in whatever speech he happens to be making.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
I'd immediately take it home and destroy it; no one should have that kind of power.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Ronald Nand said:
Original poll question
You left out the rather important bit that if you use it, you give up access to an afterlife, which by the premise of the poll, would exist.

Anyway, I'd burn that thing*

Regarding inquiries about burning, I'm pretty sure I properly remember that once a deathnote brought into the human world is destroyed, it cannot be used any longer by humans unless a new one is brought in. The only way someone may potentially "get use of another death note" by you destroying yours is if there were 7 or more death notes in the mortal world at the moment. In destroying yours, rendering it unusable, the one brought in 7th would become the 6th, and now be usable by the holder.

*Just to be careful that in the extreme case of there being greater than 6 notes in our world, I'd lock that thing up and give it a VTMB Kuei Jin Ending off he side of a cruise liner in the middle of the Fjords or somewhere else crazy deep, and in giving up ownership, I'd be losing memories of where I dunked it, so I think that's about as safe as we can get- one slot of six permanently out of use.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
sanquin said:
I'd start out using it for 'good'. My version of it at least. All people that are known severe criminals, like the gang leaders running their gangs from prison would go in there right away if I could find out their name. Serial rapists, anyone that committed a planned murder, willing torturers (or if not, the people forcing them to do so), etc.

Later on I'd probably start using it for personal gain. I don't consider myself such a good person that I think the 'power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely' saying won't affect me.
So, you'd basically be exactly following Light's path from the original story, as that was exactly what he intended before he was corrupted.

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
Sounds like a powergaming or god modding item from an RPG.
I'd burn it. It's too cheap.
Wanna kill someone? Get some blood on your own hands.

Edit:
I'm mildly frightened by the amount of people who are indiscriminately handing out death sentences to people who they think need to die.

Somewhat related:

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Tough call. There are some people I'd like to see die... but I'd rather not risk going mad with power in the process...

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
Not sure if I would actually be able to muster up the will to use it, but I'd probably just use it to off North Korea's upper leadership, the known leaders of terrorist organizations (in a way that would make them blasphemers, to avoid martyrdom). And maybe a few Drug cartel heads and, give Kony a fatal thumb infection.

Then I'd dissolve the thing in a jug of Hydrochloric Acid.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
I'm pretty sure I'd give it to Frodo and we'd go on the long and arduous journey to Mt. Doom, or I'd just throw it in the bin, douse it in gasoline and light the sucker up.
I could go either way really.

I'd like to think I'm above murder.

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
verdant monkai said:
M8 I'd burn it.

I don't want to go to fucking Hell. There is also no one I hate enough to kill.
Well, one of the rules of the death note is that you don't go to heaven or hell. So you're safe in that department.

I'd use it for personal gain. I'm not going to pretend to be noble and death note known criminals or businessmen/politicians I don't like. I'm going to death note people in my way and the occasional celebrity just for the hell of it.