Poll: When was Duke Nukem actually sexist?

Admiral Stukov

I spill my drink!
Jul 1, 2009
Pedro The Hutt said:
Except satire involves pointing out what's wrong with the offending behaviour, ideology or lifestyle. The series used to be able to manage that... somewhat. But DNF is a straight up glorification of his character.
First of all, as I understood this was about the series in general, not DNF in particular.

Secondly, maybe I could have been clearer, but I for one, [sub](maybe wrongly)[/sub], regard shock jock style humor as a form of satire.
Shock jock is a slang term used to describe a type of any radio broadcaster (sometimes a disc jockey) who attracts attention using humor that a significant portion of the listening audience may find offensive. The term is usually used pejoratively to describe provocative or irreverent broadcasters whose mannerisms, statements and actions are typically offensive to many listeners. It is a general-media term, rarely or never used within the radio industry.
I'd say that the Duke Nukem humor, including what's been shown of DNF is a shock jock style one.

Mikkel421427

Nov 10, 2010
Yes, The Duke is sexist, but...
Has any of you ever seen a Meat Loaf concert? More specifically, the performance of "Paradise by the dashboard light"?
Meat Loaf is 63 years old. And during that performance, every performance of that song, he's making out with a twenty-year old girl. Not seriously of course, but they sure as hell make it seem like it. People called him a perv in their reviews. Frankly, i think it's with good reason, I mean, a 63 year old, balding fat dude making out with a 20-something year old woman wearing a rather revealing cheerleader costume? Yeah, sounds pervy to me. Then he realised "This isn't enough over the top!" and changed it. They were suddenly wearing 70's clothes. The guitarist even topped it off with a pimp-costume. The reviews came in. They said it seemed like a fantasy and they really enjoyed the show. Same case here guys!
The Duke is so over the top, it's ridiculous. The own man's Ego shields himself from bullets, for christ's sake!
Let me quote an employee at Gearbox working on the game, when he responded to accusations of the Duke not caring about women: "If you actually noticed, The Duke cares a lot about women. He goes to great lengths to make sure they're safe and in good care"
The Duke might be sexist. But he's a sexist in "good" way

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
Well I'd disagree on that with Duke Nukem 1, and possibly Duke Nukem 2, those games were much more harmless than 3D onwards (and even then DNF seems to be another step up from DN3D). But yes, I will agree that "shock jock" fits the bill for what DNF is trying to pull off, every trailer that I've seen this year seems to confirm it that the humour in it will largely be of the type that you'd have to be a "frat boy" for to be able to enjoy it at its best.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Everything in a video game is an object, it would have *****y coding if it hadn't.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I feel silly dissing duke nukem for being sexist....because its duke nukem

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
loodmoney said:
I think this [http://borderhouseblog.com/?p=4375] post makes a solid argument. It is worthwhile for the last three sections (viz. Randy Pitchford interviews; Isn't it ironic?; Teaching tool) alone.
That collum illustrates the core problem of this debate quite well.

Side A: "Stuff like Duke Nukem isn't serious. It is supposed to be wacky fun. Like dead baby or holocaust jokes. It might not be your cup of tea, but it is by no means serious."

Side B: "It isn't."

And that is where the problem lies. The creators of the art piece themselves say, it is supposed to be funny (If it is or not can not be subject of a debate, since humor is eintirely subjective) and not a sociolocial treatise. The fans also recieve this stuff as humor.

Only the persons who dislike it recieve it as sexist and they dislike it, because it is sexist to them.

You see the problem? There is basically no objective way to say "Hey, this is sexist, not funny!", if the creators of the stuff explicitly mark it as humorous. So at it's core the whole problem is circular.

This point is well illustrated in the quoted blog post: There is a section where they deal with irony. And they basically deliver no reason, why Duke Nukem can't be ironic. They just say that it isn't ironic and that it is sexist.

This is NOT good arguing, people. Saying that what you think is the case, can not be an argument to prove what you think.

A side note on the whole objectication thing: Has any of you ladies ever considered how men, especially Duke, is portraied in the game(s)? No? Go look at it.

Duke is a hormone and violence driven Maniac while the other men are at best pigs and at worst incapable sissies.

That is sexism and objectification too. Because, you know, not all men are violent, strong, smoking sex-maniacs. Just as well as not all women are "babes".

At that is the reason why Duke Nukem isn't sexist: Men don't get protrayed anywhere close to realistic. Nobody, nothing gets portrayed realistic.

Just because some feminist activists like to imagine men as mean pigs, out to get them, doesn't make that true and doesn't make us immune to stereotypical portrays or sexism.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
somonels said:
Everything in a video game is an object, it would have *****y coding if it hadn't.
I c wut u did thar.

I don't think it's sexist so much as it is really, really stupid but I do think the joke has gone on for too long now. Even forgetting the fact that Duke Nukem Forever has taken so long in development the joke was getting stale back then anyway.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
always thought he came across as a male chauvinist rather than sexiest. though i guess you can say they are the same. \o_O/

I answered no, just cause the whole thing is way over the top and comical in the 1990s way.

dunnace

Oct 10, 2008
It's a difficult one, because although Duke is a sexist, self obsessed egotistical jackass, that's also the reason we like him. He's the embodiment of the male ego, but despite him reflecting the "inner primate" of man we also know that he is ultimately wrong. He's offensive, rude, arrogant and far too narcissistic for anybody to like him in real life, but as an "action hero" he's the perfect reflection of 80s/90s "cool". He's likable because he's all of the things that are wrong with him.

Ultimately, Duke Nukem is the reflection of male forbidden desires, the uncivilised man in a world that adores him for it. We spend most of our time laughing at him, while secretly wishing we could be him.

phelan511

Oct 29, 2010
Art Axiv said:
Can it be "just a game"?
Thank you. You have won the common fucking sense award! Your prize is unrelenting honking from the "Lets make everything politically correct so we never offend ANYONE" crowd.

dunnace

Oct 10, 2008
Art Axiv said:
Can it be "just a game"?
HA, balls no. Sorry, but "just a game" would literally be the mechanics and no dressing. This game personifies, meaning it enters the realm of politics by having characters. That's how this works I'm afraid.

loodmoney

Apr 25, 2011
Exterminas said:
loodmoney said:
I think this [http://borderhouseblog.com/?p=4375] post makes a solid argument. It is worthwhile for the last three sections (viz. Randy Pitchford interviews; Isn't it ironic?; Teaching tool) alone.
That collum illustrates the core problem of this debate quite well.

Side A: "Stuff like Duke Nukem isn't serious. It is supposed to be wacky fun. Like dead baby or holocaust jokes. It might not be your cup of tea, but it is by no means serious."

Side B: "It isn't."

And that is where the problem lies. The creators of the art piece themselves say, it is supposed to be funny (If it is or not can not be subject of a debate, since humor is eintirely subjective) and not a sociolocial treatise. The fans also recieve this stuff as humor.
I think the article pretty much deals with all your objections. I will put your words in block quotes, the article's in quotation marks.

There is basically no objective way to say "Hey, this is sexist, not funny!", if the creators of the stuff explicitly mark it as humorous. So at it's core the whole problem is circular.

This point is well illustrated in the quoted blog post: There is a section where they deal with irony. And they basically deliver no reason, why Duke Nukem can't be ironic. They just say that it isn't ironic and that it is sexist.
What they actually say is this: "Starting with satire: for something to be satire it must mock it?s subject matter in an attempt at social criticism. Nothing about the game information so far shows this criticism. This game does not ridicule sexism." Satire, and by extention irony, must have a point. The point of "A Modest Proposal" [http://art-bin.com/art/omodest.html], for example, is to mock attitudes towards the poor, and to make a point about Britain's policy towards Ireland. Duke Nukem Forever does not make any point.

A side note on the whole objectication thing: Has any of you ladies ever considered how men, especially Duke, is portraied in the game(s)? No? Go look at it.

Duke is a hormone and violence driven Maniac while the other men are at best pigs and at worst incapable sissies.

That is sexism and objectification too. Because, you know, not all men are violent, strong, smoking sex-maniacs. Just as well as not all women are "babes".

At that is the reason why Duke Nukem isn't sexist: Men don't get protrayed anywhere close to realistic. Nobody, nothing gets portrayed realistic.
"Duke's sexism is [not made] irrelevant because he is also a horrific character toward other people. The fact that a character is hurtful towards more than just women does not erase their sexism." Extending this argument, just because other characters in the game are portrayed unrealistically, this doesn't excuse how women are portrayed, viz. according to sexist tropes.

Art Axiv said:
Can it be "just a game"?
By Moff's Law, no [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ptitle0gw4lvn5].

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Look I'm saying it right now, a gametype called 'Capture the babe' in which the woman is reduced to literally an object used only to earn points and of whom is tied up and you pick up and slap on the rear when she 'freaks out' is not a positive image to present to the mainstream media.
Maybe it won't encourage acts of real sexism, but all the same.... I really don't approve and am actually more inclined to agree with the feminists then the gamers on this one. There are times when you defend the games industry when it deserves to be defended, and there are times when you point out that you are being needlessly juvenile and sexist for the sake of being needlessly juvenile and sexist.

As for the game series itself as a whole? Well I can't say for sure as I never played the old games, instead I only studied them. But from what I've seen with all the stripper business and women flocking to worship Duke, one might argue that not much has changed.
Maybe back then it didn't matter as much, but by now in the full decade since Duke has been gone, too much has changed for him.
I'd argue that from what I've seen, the games were always sexist. It's only now that they've returned into a more enlightened society that people are taking notice.

Exterminas said:

Okay now let's get something straight here, yes it's true that the macho tough guy manly man of manliness is a stereotype of males but here's the thing that seperates it from the standard female stereotype in a standard Duke Nukem game.

Namely, it's a positive stereotype, one that is a juvenile male fantasy of how they wish they could be. An awesome, badass wise cracking action hero who can destroy giant monsters and get with any girl he wants because he's awesome.
Duke is a fantasy but he's the approximation of all the fanatasies of immature young boys with action hero dreams. Not of horny girls wanting to make him their ideal sex toy.

When the character of Duke Nukem was made, he was made to make all the young boys say:
"AWESOME, I WANT TO BE THIS GUY! HE'S SO COOL!"
It was not a fantasy made to make girls think:
"MMM YEAH, SEXY MAN!"
Duke wasn't made to be a simple stereotypical load of eye candy for the pleasures of the opposite sex, that's what differentiates his stereotype from the stereotype of the women.

Meanwhile let's look at the stereotypical depiction of the women in Duke Nukem games. Strippers, hookers, all sexed up and eager to sleep with Duke. Incapable of rescuing themselves and helpless in the face of danger unless the big brave Duke and his mighty ass slapping hands come in to save them and then they get all horny for him.
How many modern day women or teenage girls do you think would look at this image and think to themselves:
"Oh boy, I really really want to be a sexed up doll so I can strut my stuff for the pleasures of men everywhere. Man I can't wait to be completely helpless in the face of danger and have to be rescued by a man who I am then obligated to sleep with!"

But on the flip side, how many boys do you think looked at it and said:
"Awesome, strippers and sex and blowjobs and boobs and more blowjobs and strippers and ass slapping!"

Sure both got depicted as stereotypes... but which one had it worse?

Just because some feminist activists like to imagine men as mean pigs, out to get them, doesn't make that true and doesn't make us immune to stereotypical portrays or sexism.
Yes it's true that men aren't immune to sexism.

However that doesn't also mean that feminists are evil and have an extreme agenda to destroy men who they consider mean pigs just because they happen to think that a game mode where a woman is made into an object that is depicted as emotionally hysterical and needs a slap on the ass to calm her down should be considered 'acceptable'.

Blubberburg

Sep 17, 2009
Wait, oh maybe its sexist because the aliens kill every male in the world (cept Duke cause he was in space) and then decide they rule because all the females are useless like they are the pathetic princess?? idonno, paying a woman several hundred dollars to make her show her boobies doesnt seem wrong to women, wish i could make that kind of money taking off my clothes so easily

katsumoto03

Feb 24, 2010
Valagetti said:
But they are portraying them as objects... like the majority of games.
Lol @ dumb comment.

OT: I'm preeeeeety sure the entire thing is a joke. Correct me if I'm wrong.