Poll: Which do you prefer: Fallout 3 or New Vegas?

TornadoADV

Cobra King
Apr 10, 2009
New Vegas for actually being Fallout and not turning the BoS into a bunch of crusading do-gooders who care about the down trodden.

health-bar

Nov 13, 2009
Kyogissun said:
Let me lay out the things each game does right, I'll start with Fallout 3:
-Atmosphere
-World 'layout'
-Exploration = Reward
-Bringing in newcomers to the series
-Establishing that the new gameplay style worked
-Freedom in progression of the overall plot
-A concise and wrapped up story

And for Fallout New Vegas:
-Faction Tracking
-A higher number and better impact with the 'decision points' in the game
-Weapon variety
-Companion Functionality
-Add on content (As in, so far all of them have been pretty good and it took about 3 expacs for Fallout 3 to hit its stride)
-Improved Characters (I.E. people I gave a shit about)

Each one has its pros and cons and I just felt like establishing the pros, as the cons for one game are the pros of the other...

Here's the best way I can think to say how I wanna see Fallout 4 developed, in a set of rules:

1. Bethesda handles the technical stuff, 'coding' things and putting everything in the world, they handle the QA and whatnot

2. Obsidian focuses on the pre-planning and the art direction, they write the story and design concepts for the world, characters and more

3. Expansions are handled the same way, with BethSoft getting to handle ONE expansion pack on their own and Obsidian handling the rest

4. Patch notes are listed in the games from now on, because I wanna know what moderations and changes are being made, as there are some in New Vegas that have properly balanced or powered up weapons

5. Last but not least, if they repeat a past mistake from either game, Todd Howard and Chris Avellone must take a hard and firm kick right to the balls for each mistake that is repeated FROM a professional kickboxer wearing a pointed steel toe boot

And trust me, this would be painful for EVERYONE, the LAST thing I wanna see is an awesome dude like Todd Howard in severe pain.
Couldn't have put it better myself.

IDTheftVictim

Jan 20, 2011
I like them both equally depending on what i feel like playing.

New Vegas offered an expierience I would almost say is like the Old West, people beginning to set up new lives and everyone has adjusted to pre-war life. I enjoyed exploring more and while Hardcore mode wasn't that much of a survivalist expierience it was still a nice tweak to gameplay. I enjoyed exploring more, meeting with the different factions, and the fact a sniper rifle could now fit a silencer on it.

Fallout 3 was the pure post-apacolyptic game for me, since it was set in a urban area you were given more oppurtunities to see the effects of the bombs, destroyed highways, collapsed buildings blocking roads, which caused you to use the subway tunnels. Oh lord the tunnels, comparable to I Am Legend when he walks into a dark building these treks gave you a hopeless feel which in hindsight I loved (at the time me and my hunting rifle with 10 bullets were freaking out). Enjoyed the atmosphere and actually enjoyed the selection of weapons, felt NV might have had too many.

I'm not sure if this means anything but I that as I didn't enter either game with a character in mind, and adapted to my expierience. While both are stealth experts my NV character uses a silenced sniper rifle and shoots hostiles from a mile away, while my F3 character is more of a commando with his unique chinese rifle.

Pierce Graham

Jun 1, 2011
Um... then you bought it when they released the patches, or you were extremely lucky. After only 2 days of the game's release, Bethesda released a patch for OVER 250 BUGS. After 2 days. There were so many bugs in NV, so many patches, it was shameful the first few months of release. It okay now though, most are fixed.

CarbonEagle

Apr 19, 2008
While i enjoyed the setting of fallout 3 much more and loved the stealth suit to pieces, i did end up having more fun in new vegas for some reason so im gonna have to go with that.

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
I put over 200 hours into New Vegas, and I just started playing Fallout 3 recently (with 40hours), and I gotta say, from the very beginning, i loved Fallout 3 much more. it seems so much more immersive, bigger, and just generally more fun. New Vegas was good, but, ehh, it wasn't fantastic

EGtodd09

Oct 20, 2010
Honestly, they both have so many good points and bad points AND THEY ARE EQUALLY AS GLITCHY AS EACH OTHER so I'm really surprised that "Both Equally" is the least picked option.

VelvetHorror

Oct 22, 2010
CloggedDonkey said:
I liked Fallout 3 a bit more, though that might be nostalgia. New Vegas, while fun, just doesn't... mesh. The storyline and tone doesn't seem to fit together at parts (you start out tracking people down and making them pay, but end up as a key soldier and diplomat in a war between two factions, Old World Blues is basically everything the main game wasn't in terms of tone and story, this is post apocalyptic, but almost everything is intact, ect.), the weapons don't seem to match (starter weapons are low-tech weapons like lever-action rifles and revolver pistols, but late and even mid game weapons are high-tech plasma cannons and M16s), and the characters just don't really fit (are they supposed to be survivalists holding on after the end, cowboys forming a new life, gangsters, or pioneers on virgin soil of new land for an empire?).

Meanwhile, despite some hick-ups with the BoS, Fallout 3 fits most of the time. Tech-level stays high throughout, the entire storyline is still revenge (this can be an interpretation of why you went looking for your father), and the characters, spare a few, are all survivalists. The only exceptions would be Rivet City (who are still only barely beyond survival, nowhere near like Caesar's Legion or the NCR), the Brotherhood of Steel (who are like this everywhere), and a few scattered towns (most of which you have to save from some threat). Plus, you can believe this was the end of the world. Skeletons everywhere, places where large firefights were, destroyed cars, ruined cities, common pockets of radiation, everything made it seem like things had actually ended. I just didn't really... get that with New Vegas. I still love both, and I can't wait for Lonesome Road, but I think Fallout 3 just achieved more of what it was trying to be.
I like the way that you put all of that, I felt the same way.

I loved playing Fallout 3 and played it a couple times over, one time to full completion in every sense of the word. I really liked how you were with the character from birth, that you shaped their upbringing, and made the character truly yours. I didn't like how in NV you started off with a character with a background. There are great games where your character starts off with a background but usually they have their own personality, and aren't the silent protagonist. When you have a character that's meant to be how you crafted, if they have a background you can't change it kinda ruins it for me.

Also, the thing that turned me off from New Vegas was how it didn't feel post apocalyptic like Fallout 3 did. It just felt like you were in a western with high tech guns. There seemed to be less insanity than there was in Fallout 3 that you would expect in a broken down society that was struggling.

Overall, I liked Fallout 3 a lot better. Though this is sort of biased as I only played a small portion of the game, growing tired of it quickly.

Nemesis729

Jul 9, 2010
I'm actually really surprised at how many people voted for NV, I just really didn't think it was even remotely fun, It felt like a chore to me the whole way through and when it ended I was actually caught off guard... I had a lot of fun with 3 though but just my opinion of course

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I've had a lot of fun with both, but I prefer New Vegas. Instead of just throwing a Fallout skin on a fairly generic open-world RPG set in post-apocalyptic Washington DC, they made a Fallout game. Also, Project Nevada makes it even better. Fallout 3's mods required a lot more mix'n'match to get good ones.

Cbargs

Oct 14, 2009
I also believe New Vegas to be superior. Fallout 3's story didn't really seem to be all that important, really, the majority of it is just Lonesome Wanderer having daddy issues. Not to mention the tone. Oh god the tone of Fallout 3 was so awfully grid mark and serious, it is so unlike Fallout, it just makes it seem like Bethesda didn't do their homework. Actually, after seeing all the blatant streamlining of factions(there wasn't a single morally grey faction in Fallout 3 that I can imagine, besides the 'Outcasts') it makes me believe that Bethesda just didn't give a shit about the lore of the series.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Fallout: New Vegas.

Here is an incomplete list of reasons why...

The thing with Fallout 3 is that it felt like Bethesda taking a loved series and turning it into whatever the hell they wanted. The original Fallout games were about humanity rebuilding civilisation (Fallout 1 more) after they destroyed it because they got greedy and couldn't get along. The Fallout games delved into human nature and how we would react to living in a life where civilisation was gone and now a new one was going to be born out of the ashes of the old world.

Fallout 1 and 2 both included these aspects (Fallout 1 more). In Fallout 1 the Master was aware that people had caused their own downfall and that as humans we could not properly take care of ourselves, therefore he saw Super Mutants, which he could create, as the next step in human evolution. He wanted to create an army of mutants that would unify the human race and make all of their goals the same so we could live together and be more equal. However, there were many flaws such as people who had been living in the wasteland were not fit for transformation and became dumb and brutish, whereas more "cleaner" humans became intelligent and strong beings. More importantly all female Super Mutants are sterile, which means that eventually the Super Mutant race will no longer be able to continue and they will die out.

Basically, Fallout 1 dealt with getting rid of human?s problems by getting rid of humans themselves.

Now let?s skip to Fallout 3, what was that about? Some whiny kid who?s Dad goes missing and now he wants to go find him. Then said dad wants to purify the water (which should've mostly cleared by now anyway) to give all the people of the East Coast fresh water, because apparently they don't know how to make wells or filter water like those of the West Coast.

Fallout 3 just didn't have the political or societal messages of the original Fallouts and instead sacrificed that for stupid quests that you only take part in to see what cool loot you will receive, plus Fallout ½ already dealt with FEV, are we still going on about that?. Fallout 3 was filled with stupidity and nonsensical things, such as the Experimental MIRV and Mothership Zeta. Bethesda did away with rebuilding civilisation and decided they would focus more on petty survivors trying hard to create communities where they can survive the harshness of the apocalypse, 200 years after it has happened, made even more pathetic by the existence of the NCR in the West who by that time had made a large republic of more than 300,000 people with a fully working government and military. And not to mention Ceasars Legion who managed to conquer 86 tribes in an even shorter amount of time, using brute military force and diplomacy.

Fallout: New Vegas thankfully went back to civilisation with the NCR and Caesar's Legion, a force dedicated to fixing the mistakes of the old world by taking one of the most successful empires in history and getting rid of the negatives of it, mainly the senate and democracy, the story was focused on the political turmoil of the Mojave and the affect it had on the people.

Would an empire led by one man's ideals work in the long run? Most likely not.

Would the NCR, who can barely hold onto Hoover Dam and Vegas be able to continue to spread? Not at all if they continue to be lead by inept commanders such as Oliver and Moore, and while their president is a former war hero who forces people to fight for his ideals.

Can Mr. House control all of Vegas by himself, or will he eventually turn into the real life Howard Hughes and become obsessed with himself and become cut off from the real? Of course, because it has already happened, and more than likely he will gradually lose his grip on Vegas.

Independent New Vegas? People free to do what they want? Yeah, not a chance, eventually this will fall apart and things such as riots will break out and many people will suffer.

People complain about how New Vegas was worse because it didn?t feel ?post-apocalyptic? enough, well there?s an obvious answer to that: Fallout isn?t mainly about exploring land devastated by nuclear war, it?s about exploring a devastated world and experiencing how humanity now has to rebuild the said world they destroyed. Fallout 3 did give the sense of a destroyed world, but it is set 200 years after the apocalypse, should it really still be this crap looking and why haven?t large societies sprung up yet? The New California Republic managed to create a successful community with other settlements and a shorter time and now they have thousands of members. New Vegas perfectly captures the idea of rebuilding civilisation by presenting us with two major locations; New Vegas and Hoover Dam. Both of these cause the NCR and Caesars Legion to begin a war for total control, and Mr. House now has to defend his beloved city using deceit and manipulation.

New Vegas also felt much more like a role-playing game. In Fallout 3 you were forced to be someone who grew up in a Vault, you were told who your mother and father were, where you were born, you had to be friends with Amata, Butch is your bully, you can?t join the Tunnel Snakes, all of the characters have a set personality as to how they like or hate you, your age is pre-determined and you?re forced to love your dad and find him. Finally you?re forced to join the BoS and you can?t even join the Enclave, yeah sure you can put their FEV into the purifier but it doesn?t really change much. Also there just wasn?t enough choice in how you finish the main quest, you get two choices that barely differ from each other, and you should?ve been able to destroy the purifier completely.
In New Vegas, however, you play a person who works for the Mojave Express, delivering a package and then unfortunately get shot in the head. That?s it, that?s all we know, that, and some guy called Ulysses apparently has some history with us and is now looking for the Courier.

Another issue with Fallout were the companions when compared to NV. The followers in F3 were very 2D and barely had any back story or personality at all;
*Jericho is just some raider who wants to go clean then he wants to go dirty again.
*Clover is a slave.
* Charon is practically a slave with a shotgun.
*Dogmeat is a dog.
*Sergeant RL-3 is a robot who doesn?t like communists.
*Fawkes is a super mutant who is more intelligent than the others because he was able to access the data files on the terminal with its small keys with his large fingers. Also, why would a terminal in a holding cell have so much information and why is there a terminal in a holding cell in the first place?
*Butch and the Tunnel Snakes are supposed to be some kind of Italian-American greasers, but without the class, purpose and charm of The Kings in New Vegas.
*Star Paladin Cross falls victim to being a member of the BoS and not the Outcasts, and even if she was part of the Outcasts she is still extremely boring. ?I knew your father? is basically her entire story and personality.

Now compare them to the companions in New Vegas;
*Rose of Sharon Cassidy (Cass) is a booze drinking caravaneer and daughter of Cassidy from Fallout 2. She is a talkative, despondent, confused, smart and gun savvy and is very thick headed to the point that the only way to actually get her to be a companion is with speech checks. She is independent and doesn?t take shit from no one and can give some really good opinions on the NCR and Caesars Legion, admitting to the faults of the NCR and advantages of the Legion.
*Craig Boone is a former NCR 1st Recon sniper who had a large run of horrible luck and now is unsure of what to do in his life. He took part in the Bitter Springs massacre which mentally tore him and to make matters worse he was forced to perform a mercy killing on his pregnant wife. Boone is made out to be a depressed, illiterate and angered person who needs someone to help him show what he should do with his life.
*Arcade Gannon is a member of the Followers of the Apocalypse and former member of the Enclave. He is a man who wants to make a difference in the Mojave but is unsure as to how he is going to achieve that. Although the Followers are shown to all be optimistic and altruistic there is a sense of ?ends justify the means? especially during the quest ?The White Wash?. That quest shows what lengths the Followers, and Arcade, are willing to go to if it means helping the communities of the Mojave.
*ED-E is a former Enclave eyebot that represents a sort of relic of the old Enclave and how they are all now starting to blend into the new society, along with other members of the Enclave.
*Lily is a super mutant nightkin and shows just how schizophrenic and confused the stealth boys have made them. She is used as a test subject by Henry to try and finally find a cure to nightkin schizophrenia and hopefully bring peace to their muddled minds.
*Raul is a man who has seen many things, most notably the Great War itself and its effects on the world. During his centuries of travels he has encountered settlements and cities of crime and prostitution and eventually these things led to his life of vigilantism. Like most vigilantes this led to more problems and Raul was brutally attacked and injured. After witnessing the death of his home, family and love interest, Raul continued to travel and tried to protect the weak, only to realise it was pointless due to his old age and begun to believe he was a lost cause and old people could never help the world.
*Rex is a cyberdog who has had his own adventures. He was originally from Denver and eventually was discovered by Caesars Legion who took him. However, after a battle he was lost and roamed around, finding the King at Freeside. Due to his old age Rex?s brain has begun to decay and now you must find a replacement brain that will allow him to live longer, and also fill his mind with various different memories and abilities.
*Veronica is an outgoing, talkative, friendly, optimistic and sarcastic member of the BoS. However, she is very different than most BoS members; she does not believe in many of the BoS?s ways (such as the codex) and would prefer if they expanded and put their skills to better use, instead of acting so xenophobic all of the time. She believes that if the Brotherhood does not change then they will either destroy themselves, or someone will do it for them as long as they are led by leaders who do not see the errors of their ways. Although Veronica is shown to be a quite happy person when it comes to the serious issues of the BoS, she becomes much more serious and her tone changes quite significantly, as shown during her personal quest when she stands up to McNamara and becomes even more saddened and confused than she was before.

Then there are the DLCs;
In Fallout 3 the DLCs were all spread out areas with no connection to each other and served mostly as just ways to introduce more loot. Operation Anchorage was the worst offender, it had absolutely no role-playing aspects in it and was just a run-and-gun experience through trenches, all of which was a simulation and not even significant to your own character. In the end all of it was, simply, for the loot. The whole reason you go into the simulation is to open the door to the armoury so you can get all of the sweet loot that is to be found, not for the story of the Anchorage Reclamation or for characters...loot. The loot isn?t the worst part though, it would?ve been nice to have some RPG elements, a good story and memorable characters, but no just loot.
The Pitt allowed us to discover a very nicely designed area, but sadly there was only one interesting character (Ashur) and even then the final moral choice didn?t even seem like a choice at all. In the end you?re asked to either leave the baby with Ashur or give her to Wernher, the problem is that both of these men have the same goal of creating a cure, Ashur was just smarter about it; Wernher was stupid because now the industry would fail whereas Ashur would keep the industry going and find the cure, not to mention that they both have the same rewards and it really has barely any affect on the story. After making the decision afterwards it barely seems like anything has changed, just that there are less character around.
Broken Steel was Bethesda admitting to a mistake and trying to fix it, only to open up more problems. The problem with F3s ending wasn?t that you couldn?t play past the ending, it was that the ending itself was just stupid, gave no closure and then there was the whole companion issue. The Enclave has been defeated so many times now yet they still have so many forces and even after that they still roam around with powerful weaponry and unlimited numbers. The problem with F3s ending was that it didn?t give enough closure; it didn?t tell us what happened to everyone after the events of the game and what happened in the future.
Point Lookout was probably the best DLC, it gave us an interesting area to explore and had some good characters such as Desmond and the Velvet Curtain quest was very well designed. Unfortunately, that?s about it, but I wouldn?t call it a bad DLC, just not great.
*Canon breaks
*Repetitive gameplay
*Stupid storyline
*No role-playing
In New Vegas the first DLC was Dead Money. Dead Money adds an interesting new area to explore, the Sierra Madre. What I liked about Dead Money was how it was focused on the environment, story and characters. All of the new character were interesting and add unique quirks to them. Dead Money also gives a very interesting twist at the end when you find out that the Sierra Madre treasure is a vault of gold, gold too heavy to even carry out meaning everything you did was for almost nothing. This reinforces the story of the DLC about greed and letting go. Dead Money also gives some good hints at the story of Ulysses and the Courier during the ending.
Honest Hearts allows the player to explore Zion Valley, a new and very nice looking location home to two tribes of Utah. One of the most significant aspects of the DLC is finally being able to meet the legendary ?Burned Man?, Joshua Graham. Joshua was a very interesting character because he presented an interesting story of redemption through religion and making up for past deeds. The ending of Honest Hearts was very good as it presented a very grey moral choice option, both endings had both their pros and cons and neither was really better than the other, it all came down to personal preference. However, the rest of the DLC was rather lacklustre except for the Desert Ranger armour and Randall Clark?s story.
The latest DLC is Old World Blues. Old World Blues is fantastic; it brings a new and interesting area to explore and is very connected to the Mojave. You encounter the Think Tank, a group of strange and idiosyncratic scientists who are responsible for various things, two of which being the dreaded Cazadores and Nightstalkers. OWB features great writing, voice acting, a story that will allow you to encounter a cast of colourful characters and a very interesting end. There is plenty to explore and find in OWB and the whole 1950?s science-fiction theme was pulled off very well and the DLC really feels like some of the areas that were going to be in Fallout 2 and the cancelled Van Buren. OWB also gives a lot more information on the story of Elijah and Christine from Dead Money and finally we get to actually hear Ulysses? voice and his actions at Big MT. Also, how can you not love Muggy and the Toaster?

Now I?ll get extremely nitpicky; Bobble heads vs. Snow globes
In Fallout 3 the bobble heads are never really explained very well, they?re just there and they only serve as a way of overpowering your character very easily. Snow globes on the other hand provide decoration and caps, however, a reason is given as to why House even wants them; House loves snow globes because they represent how he enjoys the ability to control something (Vegas) in the palm of his hand and be able to turn it upside down and manipulate it to his will.

easternflame

Cosmic Rays of Undeadly Fire
Nov 2, 2010
Pandabearparade said:
espressojet said:
And New Vegas was any better?
Yes, actually. Name a serious plot failure in New Vegas.
Name one plot failure in F3.

OT: I like Fallout 3 more. Why? The game is Genius.
Story Wise? Look at the Extra Credits episode for the short story. But basicaly, the "Courier with amnesia bullshit" is too old. Fallout 3 feels more like "Your story". From beggining to end. Every person you kill, every building you explore.
I liked the story for NV that was a little bit wacky but for all of you complaining about "Fallout 3 being to Dull", this is the Apocalypse.
What new vegas gets right are the factions though, in an apocalyptic setting things would be a lot like this. I guess new vegas could have been better if they had spent more time recreating the engine. The game is way more polished sure, but the graphics and character creation are unacceptable, even for 2010. They should have used a new engine.

Romidude

Aug 3, 2010
Both of them did right what the other did wrong, and vice versa. New Vegas was much better though.