Poll: Which do you prefer: Fallout 3 or New Vegas?

Vicarious Vangaurd

Jun 7, 2010
I preferred FO3 for the story and atmo but I liked FNV's gameplay mechanics a bit more. If I had to pick between the two I would say FO3 is the better one.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Kimarous said:
Ignoring the rest of your post, I wanted to address these two particular complaints:

1) Wernher does NOT want the same as Ashur. He was a usurper, just wanting power for himself; he took up the "get the cure" cause to rally his fellow slaves / outside help into getting revenge on Ashur shutting down his coup and enslaving him as punishment.
Then why does everyone constantly go on about how the Pitt had such a difficult mora choice, Ashur's just seems clearly better than Wernher who just seems like a dick, Ashur does some bad things to get good results in the end.

2) Once puberty hits, a person becomes able to procreate. Given that members of Little Lamplight don't get booted out until their sixteenth birthday, that gives about a three year window for older residents to push out new blood. If you're familiar at all with "Logan's Run", the film has people leave at age 30, but the original book had them leave at 20. The result: skanky kids. Here's your Brain Bleach. (As for the Super Mutants, I have no answer besides maybe "not 'ripe' enough"?)
Yes I understand that but it's still just creepy, children having sex like crazy to survive. And even though your point is valid how do the children ake care of the babies, by the time they're toddlers they've probably been booted from LL and the whole thing just seems like a crazy mess that wasn't thought out very well. And being next door to a bunch of murdering Super Mutants doesn't help. Also the slavers are aware of the children in LL, why don't they go down there themselves? They're children, they're not going to put up much of a fight.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Pierce Graham said:
I'm sure that this has been done before, but I've got to ask: Which of the two recent Fallouts do you prefer? Personally, I prefer Fallout 3
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.273059-Poll-Fallout-3-or-Fallout-New-Vegas#comment_form
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.283531-Your-opinion-on-Fallout-New-Vegas-VS-Fallout-3#11144167

Why is it that it's always people who liked fallout 3 better who incessantly ask this question? I'm not trying to antagonize you because you seem perfectly reasonable, in fact that's why I'm even bothering to ask. Was it the many glowing reviews for new vegas that said "better in every way" or that the popular opinion seems to favor new vegas that's spurring some search for validation? Tell me if you wouldn't mind, what motivated you to ask?

TheYellowCellPhone said:
I've only played Fallout 3, so it wins by default.

Also, I like posting this on NV discussion because it's funny.
That wasn't a bug. That was steam sending out a corrupt file. So many people were trying to DL new vegas that it overburdened (yes even the mighty) Steam's servers. As a result of too many people trying to get the same file steam started pushing out corrupt versions of that file. I find this about as funny as "Al Gore invented the internet?" jokes. It's only funny because you don't know better, and yet it's supplied as obnoxious, sneering derision.

Vivec93

May 18, 2011
ChupathingyX said:
Kimarous said:
Ignoring the rest of your post, I wanted to address these two particular complaints:

1) Wernher does NOT want the same as Ashur. He was a usurper, just wanting power for himself; he took up the "get the cure" cause to rally his fellow slaves / outside help into getting revenge on Ashur shutting down his coup and enslaving him as punishment.
Then why does everyone constantly go on about how the Pitt had such a difficult mora choice, Ashur's just seems clearly better than Wernher who just seems like a dick, Ashur does some bad things to get good results in the end.

2) Once puberty hits, a person becomes able to procreate. Given that members of Little Lamplight don't get booted out until their sixteenth birthday, that gives about a three year window for older residents to push out new blood. If you're familiar at all with "Logan's Run", the film has people leave at age 30, but the original book had them leave at 20. The result: skanky kids. Here's your Brain Bleach. (As for the Super Mutants, I have no answer besides maybe "not 'ripe' enough"?)
Yes I understand that but it's still just creepy, children having sex like crazy to survive. And even though your point is valid how do the children ake care of the babies, by the time they're toddlers they've probably been booted from LL and the whole thing just seems like a crazy mess that wasn't thought out very well. And being next door to a bunch of murdering Super Mutants doesn't help. Also the slavers are aware of the children in LL, why don't they go down there themselves? They're children, they're not going to put up much of a fight.
Remeber the childern are trained little bit before they leave and little limplight is pretty good defensive area only one entrance, plus a gate, and the kids can out last the slaves who have to come all the way to little lamplight from Paradise Falls. Most likely the slavers view it is not worth the time and caps/ammo/men/supplies to pick up a few kids on the other side of the map.

easternflame

Cosmic Rays of Undeadly Fire
Nov 2, 2010
ChupathingyX said:
easternflame said:
Ok lets get going:
It's never explained though, and although those are possiblities, why didn't they act quicker?
Act quicker? To what, there hadn't been movement in that place for 20 years.
I don't know if you noticed, but, when you escape the whole Enclave Army is out there securing the purifier, your dad kills himself to Irradiate the chamber so it's useless to the Enclave

...and useless to us, thanks dad for forcing me to commit suicide. I still think I could've taken those guys out by myself.
Not a plothole...

Um, yes you can.
Read my comment again, I said "at first", meaning before Broken Steel. Plus such a mistake in the first place is quite stupid. The game makes numerous references to ghouls/super muatants being immune to radiation.
Fawkes said it himself, it is YOUR destiny
Let me refer you to a wonderful place of knowledge: [link]http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fawkes [/link]
a Paragraph from the Vault(comfirmed sources):"When the Lone Wanderer first encounters Fawkes, he is confined to Isolation Room 5, a cell in Vault 87 in which he has resided for as long as memory permits. Fawkes claims that he was able to attain literacy and a civilized personality (things most super mutants sorely lack) by gleaning as much information as possible from the vault's immense online database (or at least until recently as the terminal that he used was taken away from him). Fawkes credits his intimate knowledge of Vault 87 to being a resident there before being transformed into a super mutant, additionally he wears the tattered remnants of a male Vault 87 jumpsuit, possibly due to him outgrowing it while mutating."
Why is there a terminal full of information in his cell though? How did he activate it with his stubby fingers? The Vault 87 super mutants are always stupid when made and have great difficulty and pain when trying to think (confirmed in conversations ebtween SM's) so I think it would've been quite hard for him to learn things by himself.
Because they were experimenting, probably wanted to know if Fawkes, or any other mutant, could learn anything. And he did. Then, take the info and see what happens

No, in New Vegas the Pip-Boy is shown as being removable (when Doc Mitchell gives you his), in Fallout 3 you are told that the Pip-Boy is impossible to remove (by Stanley and in Operation: Anchorage), so this means that it would be very difficult and sometimes impossible to put on certain clothing.
Then the 'plothole' lies in New Vegas, not in Fallout 3
I don't think you played this game well. Let me give you a little bit of background, Elder Lyons was sent from the East Coast to DC to salvage tech, a kind man, he always cared for the people, so he started helping in the wasteland and deviated from the original mission, if you ask Scribe Rothchild, he'll tell you that the 'original' BOS isn't helping their efforts and isn't communicating with them, because they didn't do what they were suppossed to.
So why bother be the BoS, they migth as well rename themselves the "Order of Altruistic knights in shining armour who care for the people".
Because at a certain degree, they wanted to help The BoS effort, the only problem here was that the west coast didn't aproove.
Well the story of Little Lamplight is quite complicated but, in game someone(I can't remember who right now)explains to you that children come from all over the wasteland at leve at age 16, the adults from Big Town send their children to Little Lamplight so the cycle repeats itself, gee, did you even try to listen to what the characters were saying?
No one in Big Town mentions sending their children to Little lamplight, and how the hell would children wandering the wastes survive (in real terms, not technical), and why haven't the Super Mutants killed them all yet, or captured them?
Kinda stupid to think in "real terms". In "real terms" deathclaws don't exist, in "real terms" a pip-boy isn't a bag and you cant haul 250 pounds of equipment
AGAIN, after speaking with Rothchild and Elder Lyons they explain that thinking that the Enclave is gone is naive, they still have a prescensce ALL OVER america, do you think they can be gone so easy?
Yes, but they shouldn't still have such a presence in Fallout 3, couldn't Bethesda add some script or something to stop them from respawning?
If you're going with scripts ask bethesda, don't call it plothole
Look Man, I think you didn't pay a lot of attention:
YOU CAN join the Enclave, the president tells you, then (even if you didn't) you can choose to destroy the Citadel.
You don't technically join them, it's like on Oblivion when you coul temporarily join the Mystic Dawn. Yes, you can put the FEV in the purifier, but that doesn't make you a member, you're not issued a suit of power armour, you aren't given any jobs or placed in a squad and all that stuff. Also destroying the citadel doesn't make you a member of the Enclave, just an asshole who likes to blow shit up so he can go find some loot.
Still not a plothole

Also, you can tell Amatta you're not interested, I did.
she still has an initial interest and history with you, which is the problem.
Not a plothole, besides, what did you want, a shitton of women to pick from?

AND ALSO, I don't think you realize, you weren't born in that vault
No, but you spend the majority of your life in there that you're practically a vault dweller.
But you define your character from there, how you deal with bullies, how you deal with amatta, wether you kill the Overseer or not. The Courier is predefined.

If you want to critize the game for it's story, cool, don't critize the game for a plothole that isn't there, because it's stupid.
If you find the relationship with Amatta stupid or the purifier thing unnecessary ok, but you CAN'T CALL IT A PLOTHOLE

scar_47

Sep 25, 2010
While both great games new vegas had much better writing and characters along with a myriad of game play improvements such as weapon mods, DT, factions, a much better written MQ and so far stronger dlc from the get go, two downsides majorly buggy upon release mostly fixed now and there was a lot less exploration which I loved in 3 but small short comings compared to the improvements. New vegas felt like a proper fallout game 3 was kinda like fallouts weird brother close but just a little off.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Vivec93 said:
Remeber the childern are trained little bit before they leave and little limplight is pretty good defensive area only one entrance, plus a gate, and the kids can out last the slaves who have to come all the way to little lamplight from Paradise Falls. Most likely the slavers view it is not worth the time and caps/ammo/men/supplies to pick up a few kids on the other side of the map.
I still think slavers armed with miniguns, super sledges, assault rifles and wearing armour can take on a bunch of kids and capture them. Also there is a quest where you can get Eulogy Jones to send a slaver to LL and for you to draw out a child for her, so the Paradise Falls slavers are capable and interested in capturing the LL children.

Vivec93

May 18, 2011
ChupathingyX said:
Vivec93 said:
I still think slavers armed with miniguns, super sledges, assault rifles and wearing armour can take on a bunch of kids and capture them. Also there is a quest where you can get Eulogy Jones to send a slaver to LL and for you to draw out a child for her, so the Paradise Falls slavers are capable and interested in capturing the LL children.
If they were truly capable they would have taken little lamplight by now. While they are interested I really can't think of a reason they wouldn't take them before the LW showed up.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
easternflame said:
But you define your character from there, how you deal with bullies, how you deal with amatta, wether you kill the Overseer or not. The Courier is predefined.
You're barely given enough choice, for the majority of the story you're forced to join the BoS, which ruins the whole RPG elements of the game.

And how is the Courier pre-defined? The only thing we know about him/her is that they are a courier who work for the Mojave Express and then got shot in the head. Everything else about your personality is up to you, such as your faction allegiance and even some minor things like whether or not you know what a fish is and if you had sex with a woman in Montana.

If you want to critize the game for it's story, cool, don't critize the game for a plothole that isn't there, because it's stupid.
If you find the relationship with Amatta stupid or the purifier thing unnecessary ok, but you CAN'T CALL IT A PLOTHOLE
Not being able to send your companions into the purifier was a plothole, they are immune to radiation, they have nothing to lose.

Same with the Pip-Boy glove, if you can't take it off then how do you get various pieces of clothing in the game on? Okay, so that's not really a plothole but it is a major inconsitency.

Actually come to think about it, when did I say "plothole"? I never referred to them as such, you originally said "failure", this could mean either a plothole, inconsistency or breaking established canon.

easternflame

Cosmic Rays of Undeadly Fire
Nov 2, 2010
ChupathingyX said:
easternflame said:
You're barely given enough choice, for the majority of the story you're forced to join the BoS, which ruins the whole RPG elements of the game.

And how is the Courier pre-defined? The only thing we know about him/her is that they are a courier who work for the Mojave Express and then got shot in the head. Everything else about your personality is up to you, such as your faction allegiance and even some minor things like whether or not you know what a fish is and if you had sex with a woman in Montana.

Not being able to send your companions into the purifier was a plothole, they are immune to radiation, they have nothing to lose.
Not true again, they had nothing to loose, true, but it was YOUR DESTINY. You knew the password and it was a Fallout tradition to end the game and stop playing there. Then it got extended with the 3rd DLC pack

Same with the Pip-Boy glove, if you can't take it off then how do you get various pieces of clothing in the game on? Okay, so that's not really a plothole but it is a major inconsitency.

Actually come to think about it, when did I say "plothole"? I never referred to them as such, you originally said "failure", this could mean either a plothole, inconsistency or breaking established canon.
That's not true, I asked you to name a plothole, go look for the post, I'll wait.
Now, if you're going to put it that way, then in New Vegas, the pip-boy thing is still "inconsistent", when you change clothing you don't see him take it off do you? Do you? I didn't think so. The fact that you put a sweater on with with the pip-boy on, doesn't make the game bad(or good). If you're saying it does then you can't enjoy any game can you? No game is 100% realistic.

Vivec93

May 18, 2011
easternflame said:
ChupathingyX said:
easternflame said:

Not true again, they had nothing to loose, true, but it was YOUR DESTINY. You knew the password and it was a Fallout tradition to end the game and stop playing there. Then it got extended with the 3rd DLC pack

That's not true, I asked you to name a plothole, go look for the post, I'll wait.
Now, if you're going to put it that way, then in New Vegas, the pip-boy thing is still "inconsistent", when you change clothing you don't see him take it off do you? Do you? I didn't think so. The fact that you put a sweater on with with the pip-boy on, doesn't make the game bad(or good). If you're saying it does then you can't enjoy any game can you? No game is 100% realistic.
I don't know if this is a plot hole or not, but when you go into Vault 87(?) to get the G.E.C.K the Enlcave shows up and knocks you out. The thing is there are only two entrances one is highly irradiated and can't be passed and the other entrance is though little lamplight. It's highly unlikely that the Enclave went though either entrance because if they went though the first entrance they would be dead. The reason why it's also unlikely they entered the second entrance is due to the kids are still there when you got back. They should be dead if the Enclave went though little lamplight.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
ChupathingyX said:
super snip!
I've read every single message on this thread, and I've gotta say I agree with Chupa 100%

I want Chupa to have my children, seriously, take them from me, they are pissing me off. :D

The companions and the bobble heads/snow globes are a particular sticking point for me in both Fallout 3 and FNV,

in F3 I'd just run/swim up to Rivet City, grab the Science Head then get Charon (the dominator of F3), then take a leisurely stroll through the wasteland while arming him with all the best weapons I find (although for some really strange reason, Charon can take on Death Claws easily but yao guai is his weakness)

In FNV however, Boone, your my fucking bro, I'll watch your back
Veronica, if you existed, I'd get your number
Rex, I want to make you better, I'll got to the ends of the earth for your brain and to see you in better health
Lily and Leo, thanks for looking out for me, it pains me to see you in such mental agony, I can't make the decision about your medication because I'm not sure whats best for you
Ed-D your like my busted up first car, I wouldn't trade you for the world.
Rose Cassidy, its your fucking round love.

Fallout 3
Fawkes, move out of the fucking way.
Charon, give me shells
Clover, using a knife against Enclave troopers with Laser weapons?, what the fuck are you thinking?

There's also accessibility in the terrain, in F3 you can just "walk" anywhere, no problems.
With FNV, you want to walk somewhere?, FUCK YOU THERE'S A GIANT MOUNTAIN IN THE FUCKING WAY, its cool though there's a little valley there you can see, HOLY SHIT ITS A MAN EATING PLANT!, dives for cover, MASSIVE ARTILLERY STRIKE!
*sucks thumb*
Hence it feels like you've accomplished something just by being "there", The most trouble I had in getting somewhere in Fallout 3 was the Republic of Dave... damn chainlink fence, DAMN IT TO HELL!

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
easternflame said:
But I never said "plothole", and you originally said "failure".

Its got nothing to do with realism, just common sense, due to technical reasons you aren't shown the animation of taking clothes off and putting the new ones on. This is fine and does not bug me at all, but how am I supossed to assume they put on certain outfits like T45d power armour or radiation suits or the space suit from Mothership Zeta without taking the pip-boy glove off? It is clearly stated and shown in the game that the pip-boy cannot be taken off.

In New Vegas, however, it is clearly shown that you can take a pip-boy off.

Also this isn't one of the main reasons I don't like the game, there are plenty more that are worse.

Vivec93 said:
I don't know if this is a plot hole or not, but when you go into Vault 87(?) to get the G.E.C.K the Enlcave shows up and knocks you out. The thing is there are only two entrances one is highly irradiated and can't be passed and the other entrance is though little lamplight. It's highly unlikely that the Enclave went though either entrance because if they went though the first entrance they would be dead. The reason why it's also unlikely they entered the second entrance is due to the kids are still there when you got back they should be dead if the Enclave went though little lamplight.
I was more concerned by the fact that a couple of minutes before that when I was blown up by a GECK...not a plothole, but a canon break as exploding GECKs have never been featured before and GECKs have been used in previous games and no one ever mentioned them exploding.

Cenequus

Jan 31, 2011
I would've said both even when NV was still buggy as hell but today with update 7 the game is not only flawless but it also has great DLC compared to any game,so I voted for NV even if I love Fallout 3 just as much.

Vivec93

May 18, 2011
ChupathingyX said:
easternflame said:
But I never said "plothole", and you originally said "failure".

Its got nothing to do with realism, just common sense, due to technical reasons you aren't shown the animation of taking clothes off and putting the new ones on. This is fine and does not bug me at all, but how am I supossed to assume they put on certain outfits like T45d power armour or radiation suits or the space suit from Mothership Zeta without taking the pip-boy glove off? It is clearly stated and shown in the game that the pip-boy cannot be taken off.

In New Vegas, however, it is clearly shown that you can take a pip-boy off.

Also this isn't one of the main reasons I don't like the game, there are plenty more that are worse.

Vivec93 said:
I don't know if this is a plot hole or not, but when you go into Vault 87(?) to get the G.E.C.K the Enlcave shows up and knocks you out. The thing is there are only two entrances one is highly irradiated and can't be passed and the other entrance is though little lamplight. It's highly unlikely that the Enclave went though either entrance because if they went though the first entrance they would be dead. The reason why it's also unlikely they entered the second entrance is due to the kids are still there when you got back they should be dead if the Enclave went though little lamplight.
I was more concerned by the fact that a couple of minutes before that when I was blown up by a GECK...not a plothole, but a canon break as exploding GECKs have never been featured before and GECKs have been used in previous games and no one ever mentioned them exploding.
The G.E.C.K didn't explode there were a couple of grenades(not frags)to knock you out. Where and how did you get the G.E.C.K to explode?

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
I hated New Vegas for three reasons, the first reason is the bugs. In my 13 hours of gameplay I experienced countless graphical and texture issues, my save being deleted, animations failing, dialogue not playing, game breaking bugs where I couldn't carry on with my quest and issues with my gun animation.

This is unacceptable, I can't believe people claim it's a better game when the amount of bugs made it almost unplayable. But whatever, most of the bugs are patched, at least the main ones such as the save games being deleted

Second reason is, being shot in the head and buried alive. People criticise Fallout 3' story in every single way possible but being shot in the head and buried alive would get you killed even with our medicine, let alone scarce resources in the wastelands. On top of that if being shot in the head at the start was such a problem for you earlier, then how can I shoot people in the head and they don't even flinch. Also me being shot in the head after is fine after the opening scene. It irritates me no end that New Vegas fans are cool with this, it is a massive plot hole and as far as I got it was never explained why that bullet was so much more effective than others.

My final criticism is that so many enemies are there to just soak up bullets. I've shot several clips into peoples heads, bodies, arms and legs and they don't even flinch. What the hell? I know you need to make progression and the developers wanted New Vegas to be more difficult but it just feels like a waste of time shooting some people.

I will accept that the support characters are better, the gameplay is better because it doesn't rely on VATs all the time like 3 and the writing does get pretty at points. However those 3 points have always stopped me enjoying NV

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Vivec93 said:
The G.E.C.K didn't explode there were a couple of grenades(not frags)to knock you out. Where and how did you get the G.E.C.K to explode?
It explodes when you choose to activate it, then it explodes. And I can't remember it exactly but I think a message comes up saying something along the lines of terraforming everything around it, so we can assume the explosion is the GECKs intended action.

ColdStorage said:
I've read every single message on this thread, and I've gotta say I agree with Chupa 100%

I want Chupa to have my children, seriously, take them from me, they are pissing me off. :D
Wow, someone actually read my wall of text, and none other than my favourite moderator :D

yuval152

Jul 6, 2011
Fallout:New vegas, i also played fallout 3 but new vegas feels less urban and more like a wasteland.and it has a better plot.And because of little lamplight(although I modded and killed them)