Poll: Which is worse Final Fantasy X-2,12 or 13?

Dragonpit

Nov 10, 2010
I've played all three. Between them, they rank like this, from best to worst...

XII
XIII
X-2

X-2 was fan service at best, contrived at worst. As Yahtzee would've put it, strictly for the "pocket-mining demographic."

XII was an interesting one. An Gambit System was flexible and interesting, plus the characters were relatable. Plus, the world was very vivid in its detail.

XIII was good...I just wished they went more in depth in terms of character personalities and the two worlds. Plus, the story lost its meaning in the end. As for the gameplay, it's simple, even though it has its challenges later on. You can take it or (like most people) leave it.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Personally. X-2. It truly has no reason to exist. All it accomplished is undid much of the Narrative of X. Far and away I think its the worst

Now I am torn between 12 and 13. Honestly neither of them are bad entries. Like no where near the level of X-2 or 8 , or the MMOs for that matter. So between the two of them, there is much worse.

Honestly, I need to do another playthrough of 12, because my original playthrough was during extensive amphetamines and other chemicals, so its like this long hazy blur that really didnt make a lot of sense. 13 was more clear buuut, its story is so much of a congealed mess of anime tropes that its practically unwatchable.

So, I would have to say it was a close race but without the benefit of a more proper playthrough, 12 would be second worst. The game had auto pilot leveling, a combat system directly stolen from KoToR, the same anime archtype "lead" in Vaan(i know his role fades) But really... the thing that really truly condemns the game is Invalice and the whole perpetuation of the "tactics" narrative.

I may be a minority, but I have played every numbered final fantasy game released todate at the point they were first released in this country. However I have absolutely no love for the "tactics" games. Too much of the "tactics" influences were present in the game for my taste so I think from the very begining I was reasonably biased against the game for that. (which is also why the game deserves at least a second playthrough)

So yes.. X-2, 12, 13

Or if you want to be more accurate 14, X-2, 8, 12, 11, 13, 2, 5 and on upward
All in my opinion and nothing else.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
NickCaligo42 said:
FFX-2

FF8
I'm surprised this one didn't make it on the list, given that it makes many of the mistakes of these other three plus several more. The magic system and leveling scheme are notorious. The storytelling is really disjointed, and it seems to make itself up as it goes along, pulling whole continents, governments, characters, and plots out of thin air. Just answer me this: who were the SEEDs at war with at the start of the game? And then why did they go from storming the beach at Normandy to having a prom?
The reason I did not mention 8 was because I actually liked it. It had alot of problems. For example by the end of disc 1 I had some of the most powerfull magic in the game, the seconed best weapons for Sqaull, Irvine and Rinoa and they were all around the Lvl 87 mark. On disc 1!! But for reasons beyond my understanding I liked the story.

And 9 is the best because it had ViVi. Simple as that.

Steppin Razor

Dec 15, 2009
Funny stuff Escapist. "Which is better?" threads get filled with "We dun like versus threads around here!" whilst a "Which FF game is worse?" gets none of the same treatment.

As for which is worse, X-2 for me I guess. I never did play XII and I have no problem with X-2, but I like XIII better than it, so X-2 is the worse one to me.

NickCaligo42 said:
FF8
I'm surprised this one didn't make it on the list, given that it makes many of the mistakes of these other three plus several more. The magic system and leveling scheme are notorious. The storytelling is really disjointed, and it seems to make itself up as it goes along, pulling whole continents, governments, characters, and plots out of thin air. Just answer me this: who were the SEEDs at war with at the start of the game? And then why did they go from storming the beach at Normandy to having a prom?
Galbadia invaded Dollet and Balamb Garden was hired to help repel the Galbadian forces. They sent in their soldiers, SEED, and also used the battle as the practical exam for their students that only had one last test to go before they graduated as SEEDs. Afterwards was the graduation ceremony.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
This is a pretty hard choice...
FFX-2 was something spawned out of my nightmares, never bothered to finish FFXII and I despised everything about FFXIII, but I did finish it for the trophies.

Think I'll have to go with FFX-2 though. It was nothing but fan service for the people who jack off to game characters.

leonhax

Jul 5, 2011
im sorry but i used to be a fan of final fantasy... up until number 7, seriously i just started playing it again last night at 3 in the morning. i was wanting to quit to get sum sleep but it had been a while since the last save point. i timed myself from there to see how long it would be before the next save point..... 14 MINS..... no action just PADDED ANNOYING DIALOG.

And since then they have been getting worse and worse. sure some of the characters ive found myself connecting with its just my immersion to these titles is constantly pushed out the window when i have to work past a shonky interface of NOTHING BEING EXPLAINED..... seriously in xiii how long is it before you actually find out what the main characters are trying to do... final fantasy x was the last best one, its one of the only latest ones that trys its best to stay a game by actually having good game play.

one real bad side i hated that stupid sphere grid thingy whateva it was for one reason really. if you spent enough time at it (and the right amount of spheres) you could have an entire party with all the same abilities... whats the point of that, final fantasy is ment to be about leveling up and building a party with the right amount of strengths and weaknesses so that any obstacle can be overcome. final fantasy xii and xiii..... just way to much god damn padding, if i wanted to watch a movie i would buy a goddamn movie for about 20 bucks and within two hours any movie can draw me in with more likable characters and a story thats compelling but at the same time comprehensible in one sit down.

its just an overload for my system trying to play final fantasy games these days, to much grandness but no actual game to enjoy, more like a lengthy cutscene with the ocational slipery combat battle here and there between enless linear corridors.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
FF X-2: Well its been a long time since I played it but I remember enjoying the game enough to finish it twice and the characters were alright.

FF XII: I really enjoyed the combat system and I found a lot to do in that game, but the characters and plot were rather bland. None of the characters are really given enough attention to stand out and therefore are rather forgettable though there where a few I liked. I remember that the developers said that FF XII was going to be more plot driven rather than character driven but even the story felt underwhelming. I thought the plot got off to a good start and thought it was going to be a grand epic about politics and war, but in the end it never really managed be more than just okay. In the end I stuck with it long enough to complete one playthorugh.

FF XIII: To be honest I never did beat XIII. I got about 2/3 of the way through, but when my semester ended I forgot to get the data off my roommate's XBox 360 and he did not return the next semester. Now I never did try to play through the game again because I just did not want to go through the previous 2/3 of the game again. The reason why is because it felt more like a chore than anything else. I actually found the battle system to be interesting but the game got very repetitive and this was probably due to the fact that the game was just too linear and the fact that there were no towns meant that there was nothing else to do besides travel down a narrow corridor and fight baddies along the way. Compared to X-2 and XII, I actually thought that XIII's characters were more interesting, there was some good drama between them, and believe it or not I never really hated any of them. Yet despite this I could never bring myself to start a new playthrough because of the games extremely repetitive nature.

Verdict: While I don't hate any of the three, I guess I would have to say XIII is the worst of the three if only because I couldn't be bothered to complete the game.

Ragnarok185

Oct 14, 2011
Final Fantasy XII
that game felt to much like an WRPG and it just was not as good as the others were.
Final Fantasy XIII however is an AWESOME game.

Harla

Mar 8, 2010
Vivi22 said:
FFXII was honestly the best FF since IX as far as I'm concerned. It had an incredible world, great gameplay, and was a much needed breath of fresh air for the series.

FFX-2 had a great battle system and not a whole lot else going for it.

FFXIII on the other hand single handedly managed to be one of the worst games I've ever played. Terrible story, a mind numbingly dull and simple battle system, and characters who are at best inconsistent in their motivations and characterization, and at worst fly through some character development that makes little sense, all while being annoying as hell. I'm not sure how there's a real competition here.
I'm going to have to second this stance myself:

XII was fantastic, plain and simple. A nice amount of challenge, some optional content that could be quite difficult dependant on what you wanted to do with it, an intereting story (some people decry the story as not epic enough, or boring... this is becuase it was a bit political and required a little bit of thinking, which is often beyond a lot of gamers...). the world was well designed, and was a good answer to the complaints of previous games about a linar path world space. The gambit system gave you options, since you could choose how much you wanted to use it: players who like tactical preparation could crate vastly complicated and clever systems to invent controller-down strats for even the hardest content, while others who prefer more direct hands-on play could disregard it entirely, and everythign in between. The CHOICE was the beautiful thing there.

Also I like Moogles, and XIIs were some of the nicest renditions yet.

X-2 was, when taken as a game, completely stripped of its skin and paintjob, a fantastic game as well. The girlpower j-pop inspired insipiness made my stomach turn at times, but int erms of the gmae itself, the mechanics, the implimentation and execution, it was a really great game. It's unfortunate all that came in the wrapper that it did, becuase it meant that a lot of great things weren;t carried forward from it... I enjoyed the mechanics of hte combat system a grat deal, and I liked the sheer magnitude of optional and missable content; the game was almsot entirely side-wuest, with only the core thread of it being essential, and on its own only a tiny part ofhte full game. That was good.

Game was unfortunately sickening and unpopular becuase of its wrapping, which was a shame.

XIII: My summation of XIII goes roughly like this: Take as a metaphore, the FF series as this fantasic swingers party, that you've heard great things about, and have been invited to join by many of your friends... so one day, you bite the bullet and rock on up. Just as you walk inthe door, you hear a shout, and get hit inthe eye by a streak of somethign warm, slimy and entirely unpleasant, and then suddenly, you're turned around and pushed out again, because the party's over now.

That errant cum-splash was FFXIII.

The combat system was many major steps backwards from previous engines, especially in terms of the PArty-leader system, which often led to situations where the gmae would give you a game over, when, practially speaking, it wasn't game over at all. One of the precepts of FF games has always been teamwork, but this system throws that right out hte window by saying "The Leader IS the Party!! And if they fall, the rest of you are worthless and can't do anything." It's completely counter to something which has been a general atmospheric of FF games for the whole series.

The combat itself wasn't -bad-, per se, but it seemed far more concerned with being pretty than being informative or functional. Don't get me wrong, I LIKED the pretty... but pretty graphics and dramatic intent to show awesome graphical effect and thus obscure many of the thigns you'd like to be seeing, without the option to prevent it or turn it off.... that's a line. Pretty should never interfere with actual gameplay, and here it did.

Contra to X-2, I have to admit, the story here was one of the only things I did like about the game... sure it was a bit ham-fisted in palces (ok, -very- hamfisted in -many- places), but I, overall, liked it, and I was struck especailly by the sadness in Oerba, for example. A lot of people complain about the characters, but I would put forward this; if the characters had features pervasive enough to rise such ire in people, isn't that better than them being utterly unmemorable and flat? Personally, while there WAS a lot to dislike in most of the characters, I also found htat there was a lot TO like in them as well...

Let's take some examples: Most people ***** about Hope... I agree that the Hope we first meet is someone you just want to alternately slap and strangle. he's pathetic, whiney, slef-pitying and self-centered, but as you play, you get to see several aspects of that; he's led a privelidged life thus far, and is a smart kid, he's very rational where matters not related to emotion are concerned, and highly analytical... this is how he then tries to "cope", and he does grow substnatially by the end of the story... I'd say he grows far more as a character than anyone else in the game, and it's not instant; he clearly goes through several stages of coming to grips with himself, his situation and hte world, and it's only by the end of the game that he seems like a more likable person, largely because of where he's come from, to who he is then. Also, I tend to want to give him a bit of apass on the "whiney self-centered" card because, well, he's a barely-teen boy who just saw his own mother die right in front of his eyes... I'm willing to cut him some slack over it.

Snow is the other one people complain about a lot, but I don't know... it's another case of a character seeming shallow and utterly detestable until you learn more about the thought processes underneath, driving that behaviour. Once again, I can't help but -LIKE- Snow, for who he turns out to be underneath the bravado, all the while without that confident positivity ever going away entirely. The scenes between he and Hope throughout Palum-polum, especially endeared him to me, and yes, they weren't by any means subtle, and it was rather beating you about the head with what it was trying to communicate, but I found that I didn't mind that at all, because the circumstance allowed for it.

Lightning was, sadly, the flattest, most two-dimensional character of the lot, and I can't realyl find much to like about her, overall... this is unfortunate, since she is the lead role for the game, and is supposed to be the one we know the msot about. that said, it could be argued quite capably that Fang and vanille were the real central protagonists of hte game, and htat it was ultiamtely -their- story... I actaully agree witht hat assessment personally, but that isn't how the game was pitched, and if it were, there'd be no role for Lightning to fill at all... that is the ultimate telling mark on the flawed design of lightning's character: without being set up as "the Protagonist" she doens't really feel like she serves and reason or purpose for beingthere at all... Sazh had a more conducive reason for continuing, and a better developed character htan she did, and he was "supposed" to be the comedic relief.

Some complain that Fang's character developement is largely non-existnat becuase despite having the messsage beated into her a few times she never seems to learn for next time... but the thing is, that actually fits her quite well: she IS stubborn and self determining in everything she does, and is exactly the sort of character who doesn't learn the first time.

Also, anyone who tries to claim that Fang and Vanillie's relationship is not the intimacy of lovers is either very naive, or is fooling themselves...

Unfortunately, just as a great game system can't completely win over and make up for a terrible wrapping (X-2), equally so, an enjoyable story can't make up for a game which, as a game, is as terrible mechancially and functionally as XIII was.

So, which was the worst? Overall, XIII by a very long way.

-Harla

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I actually really liked 12 apart from the boring characters.

A Final Fantasy game needs a bit of ham, and 12 was like rye bread in that regard. I loved the gameplay and battle system though.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
Steppin Razor said:
Funny stuff Escapist. "Which is better?" threads get filled with "We dun like versus threads around here!" whilst a "Which FF game is worse?" gets none of the same treatment.

As for which is worse, X-2 for me I guess. I never did play XII and I have no problem with X-2, but I like XIII better than it, so X-2 is the worse one to me.

NickCaligo42 said:
FF8
Galbadia invaded Dollet and Balamb Garden was hired to help repel the Galbadian forces. They sent in their soldiers, SEED, and also used the battle as the practical exam for their students that only had one last test to go before they graduated as SEEDs. Afterwards was the graduation ceremony.
In what universe does this even begin to make sense? Look, I know people in the military, and they definitely don't send kids who spend more time at hot topic than they do training out to do this kind of thing, then host a gala and ball afterwords as if it were all just good fun. And the shit Seifer pulls would get him SPECTACULARLY discharged. As big of a Final Fantasy fan as I am and as much as I'm willing to suspend my disbelief to play a game, something about that whole setup and how lightly the game treats things like global conflict and war--as if it's all just part of high school or something--eats me like nothing else.

Siris

Everyone's Favorite Transvestite
Jan 15, 2009
Is that even a question? Seriously?

X-2. Duh.

Why does everyone hate XIII so much?

TheDarkestDerp

Dec 6, 2010
Eww... kind of like comparing a punt in the taint to a whack from a cricket bat to me... all three were pretty terrible.

Though, to share on your own opinion a bit, I've not liked a single FF really since 6. They've all been fairly boring or just pretentious, bad storytelling, ridiculous padding with the grinding and fetch-quests. I suppose if I had to pick a worst of the lot you've offered, I'd go with 13. Just watching my roommate play that was excruciating, I don't know how he did it.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I had a lot of fun with X-2.

I couldn't finish XII.

I have never played XIII.

Therefore, XII is the worst of the bunch as I've played it and didn't enjoy it.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
Harla said:
Snow is the other one people complain about a lot, but I don't know... it's another case of a character seeming shallow and utterly detestable until you learn more about the thought processes underneath, driving that behaviour. Once again, I can't help but -LIKE- Snow, for who he turns out to be underneath the bravado, all the while without that confident positivity ever going away entirely. The scenes between he and Hope throughout Palum-polum, especially endeared him to me, and yes, they weren't by any means subtle, and it was rather beating you about the head with what it was trying to communicate, but I found that I didn't mind that at all, because the circumstance allowed for it.
The circumstance of Sigma from Mega Man X being disguised as the Pope and trying to make them kill all humans for him since he and his kin aren't able to kill all humans themselves, because they want their mommy back and think that throwing a tantrum will help?

Come on. The convoluted mess that is this game's plot doesn't justify any of this game, least of all the sheer conceit of all those sappy, irritating friendship speeches that occupy a third of these characters' dialogue. "I want you to find the hope you were named for!" Cripes. I know I said it in my own post already, but it was just insulting to listen to every single damn time.

---

I do understand where you're coming from, though. There are things about the characters and their situation (ignoring the complete lunacy and GAPING PLOT CANYONS) that create the fundamental ingredients for a good story, and I don't think it's so much that the characters themselves are so flawed as much as just incompetent story direction. We're talking about a game that got made in roughly six months, the director's strategy for shaking the production out of a three year long stagnation period being, "just put it on a linear corridor and make it up as we go."

Take a look at Snow, for instance. We've got clear character flaws in that he's reckless, and he's got a Superman complex, trying to do more than he can, which is also admirable, in a way. I SHOULD be able to relate to him, because I'm much the same--I tend to volunteer to help too many people and stretch myself too thin, especially when a woman gets involved. It's an interesting inner conflict to explore... but it never gets explored. Instead the game plays up his recklessness as something admirable, naively dressing it up as optimism.

His is a story that demands a certain growth; he should learn that heroes do need plans, and that it doesn't pay to try to please everybody or for one's reach to exceed one's grasp. Serah's fate should have been a direct consequence of his neglect when he gets a big head and his little rebel band, originally a means to helping her, ends up occupying more of his time than helping her lift her curse. Instead, Snow is presented to us as perfect from the beginning of the story to the very end, and it's everybody else who's stupid for not fully investing themselves in his ideals and just demanding what they want like petulant children until they get it. Never mind that it's not interesting to watch a character who doesn't change, it's just insulting to have this guy crammed down your throat and never face any real comeuppance for his recklessness.

---

Then we've got Lightning, who was much more interesting but, as you pointed out, turned out to be the blandest in the heap in execution. She's got a strong will and great fighting prowess. She commits herself to a task with great focus, but her one flaw is an inability to think for herself or trust her own judgment--she needs the approval of authority and favors that over her friends and family, in a sense making her the biggest coward of the entire group--holding the power to change things thanks to her willpower and discipline, but too afraid to use it.

It's a fear that she allows to direct her actions until her neglect finally ends in her younger sister being taken by the L'cie and, disillusioned with the system that she's been depending on her whole life and all its empty promises, she finally ballses up and takes it on. This alone would have made a really interesting story for a game, exploring the mindset of an overly repressed, conservative character as opposed to the usual rebellious, idealistic idiot with an attitude and showing her transformation into both a hero and a loving sister.

The problem? They picked the end of this character arc as the point where the game starts. In the context of Lightning's story, the train scene at the beginning should have been both a major turning point for her character as well as a crowning moment of awesome, when we finally see her face her fears and do some serious collateral damage to the authority that abused her in the process. Instead, it's a boring introduction. The character's motives are too closed off for us to get any of this emotional high out of it, and when we finally do learn what led to this in one of the game's many, many flashbacks, it's not interesting because we've already seen where it leads and, to be honest, it's a pretty disappointing payoff--much like the rest of the game.

---

It's a pervasive directorial flaw that all the best stuff happens before the game starts, and that for about 20 hours absolutely nothing happens in present time, making the pace feel incredibly uneventful even as we're getting spoon-fed exposition and back-story to try and round out the characters--and this is just the tip of the iceburg.

And let's be honest. You wouldn't take this kind of shit anywhere else. If someone serves you a lousy meal at full price, you don't go, "at least the ingredients were good" while scarfing down slimy onions and radiation-cooked beef. "Well, it looked attractive on my plate before I started eating it" isn't a good justification, either. In movies and books, this kind of nonsense is hardly tolerated--we didn't take the same kind of storytelling flaws from "Rock-a-Doodle," so why should we take them here?

ABLb0y

Aug 27, 2010
XII is the only one I hate, despite every second I spend with XIII being a punch in the nads, I still liked it.