Poll: Which is worse Final Fantasy X-2,12 or 13?

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Personaly I do not think that there has been a good FF since X and I know that that is an opinion shared by many. Even if you hated X you can still choose which was worse.

I think 13 was the worst. I hated everything about it (exept the graphics, cannot fault how good it looked). Hell Snow (King douche of the universe) and Hope (Why would that kid just not die) are reason enough but the gameplay, story and weapon system pissed me off as well. 12 was just Return of the Jedi done badly and with worse charactors. As much as I disliked most of X-2 (all that YRP crap did my head in) I like the happy bonus ending you get at the end that most people wanted at the end of X so I can forgive the rest.

Also if you actually like any of these games then good for you. I am glad someone did and everyone is entitaled to their opinion but please say why. The amount of times I have had people on The Escapist simply say "I like it and so should you" followed bay a string of insults is stagering. Not that alot of older FF fans can be any better when defending FF games.

Edit: It ate my poll. Damn internet!

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
I haven't played X-2 enough to judge, but XII was incredibly worse than XIII. Gameplay wasn't bad, but I did actually prefer XIII's battle system. The thing that really killed XII though, and the thing at which XIII actually excels, is interesting characters with good development and genuinely emotional issues between them. XII had none. None at all. A couple characters were mildly interesting (and the most interesting was never actually a playable character, and the fact that I don't even remember his name says something), and most got no real development whatsoever. XIII, on the other hand, had some fantastic character drama between well-developed and interesting characters. The metanarrative was kind of weak, but good characters can make up for a weak narrative far more easily than a good narrative can make up for bad characters.

Honestly, I don't understand the hate on Hope. He watched his mother die. If that doesn't give a child good enough reason to have emotional issues, I don't freaking know what does. Seriously.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
FFXII was honestly the best FF since IX as far as I'm concerned. It had an incredible world, great gameplay, and was a much needed breath of fresh air for the series.

FFX-2 had a great battle system and not a whole lot else going for it.

FFXIII on the other hand single handedly managed to be one of the worst games I've ever played. Terrible story, a mind numbingly dull and simple battle system, and characters who are at best inconsistent in their motivations and characterization, and at worst fly through some character development that makes little sense, all while being annoying as hell. I'm not sure how there's a real competition here.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
X-2 was abandoned within 2 hours.

XII remains unfinished.

XIII was finished but still could have been much better.

So X-2 was the 'worst' but I hesitate to use the word 'best' when describing XIII.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
FF12 and FF 13 are among my favorite FF games (after 6, 5 and 1).

So the worst is easily X-2. Weaker story and combat system than 12 and 13 in my opinion. Easiest game of the three as well.

Look-a-Hill

Nov 18, 2009
X-2 is actually quite decent if you let yourself into it. Yeah, it's girly, but that's only a bad thing if you let it be. The game itself is decent. First time I played it, I wasn't fond. Second time I enjoyed it.

XII is awful in my opinion. Mainly because I hate the battle system and the voice acting. Basch and Ashe are the only two whose voice acting isn't annoying. I didn't enjoy playing it at all. Definitely the worst for me.

XIII I haven't finished as I gave up at Chapter 11. But it's in a kind of apathetic place for me. I don't like it, but I don't hate it either. It's just meh.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I never played X-2 but I had no interest in the first place. As for 12, I never saw why people disliked it. Then again, I've never actually played that one either. I plan on grabbing that when I get my PS2. I will probably like it since I'm the weird sort of person who liked Mystic Quest more than 1-3 and, thought 8 and 9 were the best late Final Fantasy games.

Oh, as for 13. You know how people said it gets better in chapter 11? I got there and when I found that it was the same garbage as before, I quit. Seriously, it's less deserving of being a numerical Final Fantasy than the MMO games. Speaking of the MMO Final Fantasy games, why are those numbered!? It seems a bigger waste than giving Final Fantasy games direct sequels.

Piflik

Feb 25, 2010
I never played X-2, so I can't comment on that one, but XII was crap...there was absolutely no motivation for the characters to fight the enemy...I couldn't get myself to finish that game and that is the only FF game I played and did not finish. So I'd say it is the worst.

jumjalalabash

Jan 25, 2010
13 is worse by far. X-2 has some of the most painful dialogue ever, but the combat is REALLY good. And at least 12 has a good amount of depth and things to the world even if I frankly can't stand the game. 13 ain't got shit.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I actually quite enjoyed X-2 for what it was, a fun quirky diversion from the main series that actually had a pretty good story (though it did hurt the impact of the X story when taken together). Quite frankly, X-2 gets so much more hate than it deserves even if it does bring some of that hate upon itself.

XII just didn't interest me at all from the get go.

XIII is just terrible and doesn't have any redeeming qualities at all.

So, I'd put XIII as the worst, X-2 as the best and XII on it's own as I have no direct experience with it.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
IMO X-2 is the only one of those that was actually bad. XII is my favorite Final Fantasy and XIII comes very close.

Mestraal

Jan 18, 2010
I actually enjoyed X-2, but I guess that was because I really wanted more from the X universe and that's what it gave me. Then again, it did lack any palpable sense of challenge outside of Via Infinito.

XII...eh. I played it through once (and half way through again) but I couldn't bring myself to care about anyone in it. Nor the plot. It lacks the protagonist type that all the other games in the series clearly have. Just...didn't quite feel right. Big though, and there were some epic fights (Yiazmat with his 12million HP or whatever it was, anyone?)

I really wanted to like 13. It was beautiful, and pre release I was hyped for it. Somehow, it just fell flat for me. The story never quite threaded right, and the most of the characters felt a little...off? (I am one of those odd ones who simply loved Vanille, though) I came to appreciate Hope a little, though, he did develop quite well as the story churned on. I haven't finished it, and can't really bring myself back to it from where I was (just got to Pulse.) I think I need to start the entire game again. One day.

So, in the end, best to worst;
X-2, XII, XIII

(This is by far my longest post)

squall180

Mar 3, 2008
XII is far and away the best of the three games; there's a reason it ranks in the top three final fantasy games ever behind only IX and X (http://www.metacritic.com/search/all/final+fantasy/results?sort=score). XIII was disappointingly enjoyable, but got horrible reviews because it wasn't XII and the bar was set way too high for the amount of time it took to get released. To reiterate what has already been said, the combat was given a good effort but was way too restrictive and simplistic and the plot was too linear. X-2 did what was expected of it as the only game in the series to be a direct sequel when it was released. A little too pop culture-ish for my tastes, but the combat and customization of the jobs and grids made it worthwhile.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
X-2 sucks shit through a straw.

XII was actually pretty good, in my book. I never got to beat it, but I did get close, and it was never really "bad" in my book. Just different, in a good way, I'd play it again for sure.

XIII was just boring. And yes, I actually did play the game far enough. Yes, the story got more interesting. Yes, the characters got more interesting. Yes, I found the game to get much better overall. But was it enough to make it good? No, it still is a very boring game. That's basically all I can say about it, boring.

Unlike X-2. Which was boring, and painful. Others say you're supposed to "let yourself" enjoy it.
I tried.
Good god how I tried to let myself enjoy it. I blew 50 bucks on it, and I was determined to get enjoyment out of it.
But I couldn't.

I'm not some grit obsessed palooka who demands fountains of testosterone to be who I play as in my games, I can easily find enjoyment in playing a wide range of games from childish ones, to mature ones, my tastes cover a wide variety of games. Even though the game was "not manly", that wasn't enough for me to dislike it.

I disliked it because it fucking sucked. I really did love playing through X, and I was really excited to continue the experience through X-2. Instead all I got was a painfully stupid story and unbearable fanservice slut characters.
I don't even want to continue describing my dislike of it. I still can't get over how much of a waste it was, and it will probably go down as the biggest waste of a game I've ever bought.

Memor-X

Oct 3, 2010
i hope people are also evaluating the dam mechanics cause then only XIII was slightly bad

X-2: introduced a system where you would change different sets of abilities in the middle of battle having you make quick changes in your strategy mid battle, yes story-line was off a bit but still it was good to play, keep in mind the Dress Sphere System is the parent to XIII's Paradigm System

XII: best story out there by far, a hell lot of exploring, Licences system was very good cause it would force you to buy the spells and skills before you could use them....ofcause the downside to that was that you only had to buy it once for everyone which ruins the whole class making system (can't make a Red mage and a White Mage, you can only have 1 or the other), Espers could have had some work done on them and allowed you to switch them around between characters (because you need the Fire Espers learned by someone in order to get to a place in the story-line) but it had the best battle system and much like Twin Moons, you don't go all over the world in the story-line so even at the end of the game you can do some exploration, it also have the best character control system in the Gambits, hands down the best

XIII: kinda a let down from XII's battle system but still was good, even if it was ruined by having a game over when your character died and not allowing you to change character in battle, story-line was good even if Hope was a whiny bastard but name me a good RPG that doesn't have one, ofcause the storyline was the main reason why all of Cacoon was linar corridors and there was very little NPCs (because your a wanted criminal on Cacoon and you get freedom on Gran Pulse where there is no one to talk to) the development system was the love child of the Sphere Grid from X and the license Board from XIII, ofcause it could have helped if you could get Gil in a battle why than selling items cause most of the real high selling items are also one you would use to upgrade your weapons, loved how you get the Summons, removes the whole "beat the shit out of them till they submit" demographic

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Gizmo1990 said:
Personaly I do not think that there has been a good FF since X and I know that that is an opinion shared by many. Even if you hated X you can still choose which was worse.

I think 13 was the worst. I hated everything about it (exept the graphics, cannot fault how good it looked). Hell Snow (King douche of the universe) and Hope (Why would that kid just not die) are reason enough but the gameplay, story and weapon system pissed me off as well. 12 was just Return of the Jedi done badly and with worse charactors. As much as I disliked most of X-2 (all that YRP crap did my head in) I like the happy bonus ending you get at the end that most people wanted at the end of X so I can forgive the rest.

Also if you actually like any of these games then good for you. I am glad someone did and everyone is entitaled to their opinion but please say why. The amount of times I have had people on The Escapist simply say "I like it and so should you" followed bay a string of insults is stagering. Not that alot of older FF fans can be any better when defending FF games.

Edit: It ate my poll. Damn internet!
Sorry about poll , i would have voted for FFX-2. i hated everything about that game except the combat . That game litterally gave me a head ache. I really like FF12 and 13 though . I didn't mind 13 linearity honestly , i made sense in context and the game was fun when you got the hang of it.