Poll: Who do YOU think has the most elite military unit in the world?

Jacco

May 1, 2011
I was just watching a documentary on the Discovery Channel about the US Navy SEAL team 6. Those were the guys that took out Bin Laden.

Anyway, I knew the SEALs were elite, but the documentary showed clearly that they are (especially team 6) are the badasses TO THE badasses. I've long held that either Delta Force or the SEALs are the kings followed by the other and then by units like the SAS and GSG9 but that Documentary was pretty clear on who wins in the US military.

I understand that everyone wants to have the best so who do you think is the king military unit of badasses and why?

I going to put up a poll listing all of the SpecOps units I can think of so please don't be offended if yous in not on it.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
SAS are pretty amazing for the guerrila type stuff they can pull off, so I'm gonna say them. Bit biased being British like but still.

th3xile

Aug 9, 2009
American here saying British SAS. SEAL's are close but it's pretty commonly accepted that the Brits got us beat in "best special forces." Also, you could have added the IDF special forces. Those Israeli's grow up in a battleground and know how to take care of business. You also left out most of the American SOCOM, while it is pretty well known that the SEALS are the best we have, there's USAF CCT's, USAF Paramedics, and USMC MARSOC.

EDIT: It's mostly known that Russian Spetzsnaz is on par with our Army Rangers, who are blown out of the water by the SEALS. Unless you're using some really weird credentials for what makes one of them the best, in terms of effectiveness, the only competition is between the SEALS and SAS.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
one correction: GSG9 are counter terrorist federal police (more like SWAT), not military. they were created because the military cant deploy in germany and the police dont have the right equipment. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich_massacre] they do go on missions with the SAS and probably the other groups from time to time, so the effort might only be 75% down to one group when they operate.
i would say the Israelis do, or at least are on equal footing with the SEALs, given that they're raised in a warzone, are trained to fight from a young age and that they train the Navy SEALs in some forms of combat (probably desert guerrilla warfare and Krav Maga, idk.)

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
SAS of course. Have to support my Queen and country. Modern Warfare story has been a heavy influence as well.

White Deer

Mar 28, 2011
I think that it's the French Foreign Legion.Their training course is simply brutal and they always get sent to the places where things are the most fucked up!ALL IN THE NAME OF FRANCE!

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
The Israeli military is aparently one of the most advanced in the world, probably because of all the funding America gives it, but they're like a tiny hard nut of military might in the big spongey fruitbowl of the world.

EDIT: Oops, you said military unit, that'll teach me for focusing on silly similies instead of actually reading the question. Well, I'll have to go with the good old SAS, just because I'm British, so yes, I'm totally biased, and they're the original special forces units, and they had Paddy Maine, A fellow guy from Northern Ireland and one badass soldier.

Dec 27, 2010
The SAS obviously, didn't even have to think about that.
Controversial as this may seem, I would say the IRA were probably the best guerrillas fighters and tacticians of their time.

FolkLikePanda

Apr 15, 2009
British SAS, I know biased since I'm British but they have influenced many other Special Forces groups around the world and the selection exam just seems brutal and theres probably more than that then what they tell you.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
Me. I'm the best spec-ops unit in the world. I have never attempted a high-profile military operation and failed. Not once.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
Either the SAS or the Spetsnaz. Though I voted for SAS, being a Brit and all.
Though, for an honourable mention, the Israeli Special Forces are some mean nuts as well.

CFriis87

Jun 16, 2011
Well Denmark has two of them, Frømændene and Jægerkorpset, which are basically our versions of the Navy SEALs and the SAS, except with viking blood!

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
SAS. The SEALS and such are good, but half their training regime is borrowed from the SAS most of the time so they don't get full credit for it.

While pretty much every unit listed in your poll is capable of dealing with any threat they are tasked with so at the end of the day it doesn't really matter, the SAS are still the cutting edge and probably always will be.

May I also give an honorary mention to Kopassus (Indonesian special forces). They have to deal with one of the most hostile areas for terrorism and international organised crime right on their doorstep and they manage it without all the modern equipment and support that other special forces have to aid them. They are seriously badass.

BaronUberstein

Jul 14, 2011
Norwegian special forces, from what I've heard, are insane.

The SAS told them during training that parachuting onto an oil rig was insane. The Norwegians went and did it anyway.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
vivalahelvig said:
The Polish. Why, i don't know, but its just the truth.
polish special forces member cut off a taliban leaders head and put it in his backpack, couldn't take the body because he was in a gunfight.

The U.K obviously, are guys train the navy seals supposedly.

BlazedWithPower

Jul 11, 2011
Who do I think is the best military unit in the world?

Well, you've never heard of them. Neither have I, in fact.

I think the best military unit in the world is the one only a small handful of people even know exist.

I can't say I know for a fact something like that does exist. But it could exist. Therefore the chances that it does exist are pretty high.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
It depends on what their mission is. If I want a good sized group of troops that can generally fuck shit up I would choose the US Army Rangers, Spetznaz and Royal Marines as being about on par. If I want to run a Counter-Terror Op Ill send in the SAS, GSG9, or Delta. If I want to extract my guys from behind enemy lines Ill send in the US Air Force Pararescue. If I want to open the door to bring in more guys to a remote spot I want some Combat Control. If I want to run a hit and run OP who better than the SEALs?

Basically it all depends on what I want done, they are called Special Forces for a reason. Some call their members living weapons, and every situation has a weapon that is best suited for dealing with it.