Poll: Who Do You Think is Best RPGs Between Bioware, Square Enix, and Bethesda?

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
HusaneFatal said:
Pretty simple which one of these companies do you think makes the best RPGs in your opinion?
Bathesda. way bathesda. not even a contest bathesda. Morrowind, oblivion, skyrim. Hell, bioware is barely even making RPGs anymore tbh. Dragon Age 2 is almost not an RPG, it's a straight action game, and Mass Effect 2 is worse by leagues. good games, but not good RPGs.

GartarkMusik

Jan 24, 2011
Bioware most definitely. I don't care about what hasn't gone as planned lately, such as DA2 and the paddling it's gotten from just about everyone, but they've made some of the best games I've ever played (KotOR, Jade Empire, DA:O, Mass Effect 1 and 2) and I adore their characters. The only series out of Square Enix that I've enjoyed was Kingdom Hearts, and I've never been able to get into Bethesda's games much (Tried Oblivion once, didn't like it) so based on who's games have impressed me the most, Bioware for the win. Personal opinion obviously.

And I think between Bioware and Bethesda, it all depends on what you want out of an RPG. Bioware goes more the route of a strong (if a bit linear) story and good character interactions with side quests being there if you so wish to pursue them. Bethesda goes for the open world style of gameplay, but I like that better in a sandbox like Prototype or something. I generally prefer story over open world, which is why Bioware is my choice. As for Square Enix, I don't really know enough about them to know their style. Yeah, I've played Kingdom Hearts, but that's really the tip of the iceberg for Square.

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
Bioware is my dudes. (and ladies)

I can see why someone would prefer Bethesda, but personally the engrossing story and characters are the defining part of great games, and Bethesda usually lacks them entirely or is just fairly weak in them. Excellent world building, but I need me my intriguing party members.

Squeenix though.. I dunno. Never been a huge fan of their stuff.

Bob the frantic

Sep 5, 2009
Huh, tough choice...

Currently, I'd say Bioware - I never really got immersed into the Elder Scrolls games, and the less said about the new Final Fantasys, the better

Of all time, it's hard to go past the old Square games for reliable, entertaining RPG's (I still voted for Bioware, though - Prove me wrong Square!)

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
ChupathingyX said:
Errrr...Obsidian.

I've never played a Square Enix RPG or a Bioware RPG.

And Bethesda "RPGs" barely have any choice in them, at least the last two really dropped the ball, and I'm still on the fence about Skyrim.
If you think you have no choice in TES games, then you have no imagination.
You can be a warrior, mage, rogue...or not. You can be any combination of whatever. You can climb the ranks of the mages guild, or become a skilled assassin. You can save the world...or not.
TES games give you alot of choice. In say, Mass Effect, you're saving the universe as a limited class.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Saelune said:
Yeah I'm just going to copy and paste what I said 7 posts earlier...

Fallout 3 and Oblivion barely had any choice, especially Oblivion which forced you to be Martin's little errand boy for the main quest and you could join every single guild without conflicting problems (something Morrowind did well) and you couldn't even properly define your character through dialogue. Plus because of the way the levelling works you can become a mage/warrior and thief with enough grind.

Fallout 3 also didn't give you enough choice in the main quest, and whenever that game did give you choice it almost always boiled down to black/white morality. Then of course there's the fact that the Lone Wanderer in F3 has way too much backstory, most of which you can't even change; why can't I join the Tunnel Snakes, why can't I hate my Dad and have him hate me back, why does Amata have to be my love interest? Plus there is just way too much information given to you that it didn't even feel like I was creating my own role.

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
I just love Morrowind too much to not answer Bethesda. Oblivion and Fallout 3 just get them a few bonus points.

The Mass Effect games, Dragon Age: Origins, KOTOR, and Jade Empire are great games... but Morrowind, that's just special.

I've played about 45 mins of FFVII via the PSN store and that's it for my experience with Square Enix. I haven't given it enough of a chance yet, I realise, but I don't like those kinds of combat systems. I really want to try out the (what I believe to be) more friendly FFX, but until it's somehow available on PS3 that won't happen.

Simon Pettersson

Apr 4, 2010
I have to go for Bioware.

I like them all but Square Enix have really been in a low for a time. And Bioware vs Bethesda well I like story more then open world.

Sep 19, 2008
You know until seeing all the videos not so long ago my vote would easily be Bioware/obsidian, my fave rpg's being the Kotor series and the NWN series, that was until I saw skyrim cause I swear to cthulu below if that game lives up to the videos and the hype I would sell peoples first born children to get it just a week early.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
ChupathingyX said:
Saelune said:
Yeah I'm just going to copy and paste what I said 7 posts earlier...

Fallout 3 and Oblivion barely had any choice, especially Oblivion which forced you to be Martin's little errand boy for the main quest and you could join every single guild without conflicting problems (something Morrowind did well) and you couldn't even properly define your character through dialogue. Plus because of the way the levelling works you can become a mage/warrior and thief with enough grind.

Fallout 3 also didn't give you enough choice in the main quest, and whenever that game did give you choice it almost always boiled down to black/white morality. Then of course there's the fact that the Lone Wanderer in F3 has way too much backstory, most of which you can't even change; why can't I join the Tunnel Snakes, why can't I hate my Dad and have him hate me back, why does Amata have to be my love interest? Plus there is just way too much information given to you that it didn't even feel like I was creating my own role.
Well, they did not go the direction I was hoping since Morrowind, but even Oblivion doesnt really make the story so mandatory. You can play forever without doing the story. Bioware games dont do that. You can meander around awhile, but eventually you go down the path of the plot.
But in a TES game I can just go around looting and pillaging if I want. Sure, choice has been reduced since Morrowind (something that irks me) but its still more than others. And to say it has no choice is just exaggeration even if you think it is limited. And I am talking more about Bethesda's own TES than the adopteded Fallout series.

ankensam

Jul 15, 2011
i played fallout new vegas for five minutes, cus i wasnt on my own xbox and i didnt like the character models or the karma system especially since i was losing karma for stealing the shopkeepers stuff and no one could see me, i did think that character stat customization was better than biowares rpgs by far but the gameplay of mass effect and dragon age were in my opinion better and everything looked better in all their games ive played, as for square enix havent played any of their new games

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
I don't like squeenix's games at all, but its a absolute tie between bethesda and bioware

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I'm saying Squeenix because I'm enjoying Drakenguard way too much right now to vote for anything else.

EboMan7x

Jul 20, 2009
Well, first and foremost; Square Enix makes JRPGs, not RPGs. The rest, I'd just say that Bioware has made more modern RPGs I've enjoyed, so yeah. Please remove Square Enix from poll option.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
I really loved Fallout 3, but Bethesda pales to DA:O, DA:II, Mass Effect, and Mass Effect 2.
Sorry, but Bioware wins the day.

That, and I don't really like Oblivion. I kinda gave up on it.

EDIT: Though, I will say that Obsidian has some really good writing. NWN2 and MotB, and even SoZ were great. So they win in the terms of "party banter". Which reminds me: I need to get NV soon.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Xzi said:
Saelune said:
ChupathingyX said:
Errrr...Obsidian.

I've never played a Square Enix RPG or a Bioware RPG.

And Bethesda "RPGs" barely have any choice in them, at least the last two really dropped the ball, and I'm still on the fence about Skyrim.
If you think you have no choice in TES games, then you have no imagination.
You can be a warrior, mage, rogue...or not. You can be any combination of whatever. You can climb the ranks of the mages guild, or become a skilled assassin. You can save the world...or not.
TES games give you alot of choice. In say, Mass Effect, you're saving the universe as a limited class.
Obsidian didn't make Mass Effect. And those "choices" are available in most RPGs. Creating a unique character with specific motives, skills, and a backstory is all well and good, but the game world doesn't actually change because you do this.

He's talking about choice in the way that the game/story actually progresses. Examples of true game-altering choices to be made can be found in games like Alpha Protocol or The Witcher.
Eh...where did I say Obisidian made Mass Effect?
I personally, prefer as much freedom and choice as possible. (Its whats so great about DnD)
I would like more choice within the plots of TES, but I love the character freedom even more.
Bioware does story choice better, sure, but not freedom. Even if I am a total ass, I am a total ass saving the universe. Even the worst Shepard is still a good guy basically.

the spud

May 2, 2011
Squeenix. Maybe they have fallen, but they gave me some of the greatest games ever in the past. God I love yo, chrono trigger (you too, FF6).

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Saelune said:
I personally, prefer as much freedom and choice as possible. (Its whats so great about DnD)
I would like more choice within the plots of TES, but I love the character freedom even more.
Bioware does story choice better, sure, but not freedom. Even if I am a total ass, I am a total ass saving the universe. Even the worst Shepard is still a good guy basically.
How is being forced to fight for Martin freedom?

Also in New Vegas you're given character freedom too, you can even chose whether you want to be straight/gay/bi and can even chose whether your character knows what a fish is.