Poll: Who Do You Think is Best RPGs Between Bioware, Square Enix, and Bethesda?

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
dyre said:
Bioware. Square's a joke, and Bethseda games are meh without the mods. I don't think technology has caught up to their ambition yet. Also, they have mediocre storylines.

DracoSuave said:
Veldie said:
You really shouldnt include Square in this since They Do JRPG maby put Obsidien instead?
Leave JRPG/WRPG elitism out the door. Also, Deus Ex 3, son.

OT: My vote is for Bethsteda
BioWare. They have the coherent story and characterization of Square-Enix games with the depth of character development of Bethesda... without the running down long one single endless corridor of Square-Enix, and without the buggy un-polishedness of Bethesda.

Also, I can't say Obsidian. They made Alpha Protocol and FO:NV, after all. Again... either buggy or sooooo full of unfulfilled promise.

Man, so many things AP did oh so very right... and oh so many things it got OH SO MUCH WRONG.
Deus Ex 3 is being done by Eidos Montreal...Square just pays for it :p

Agreed about Obsidian
So... Bethesda gets to claim FO:NV but Square-Enix doesn't get to claim Deus Ex 3?!

I call shinanegans.

Araksardet

Jun 5, 2011
Hard to say. I think Bioware does a better job with story. Sure, Mass Effect is no War & Peace, but I daresay it's at least as good as the better Hollywood flicks.

Bethesda games (I'm thinking Oblivion and Fallout 3, here) are a little weaker on the story, but make up for it with better gameplay and better immersion. Then again, Fallout 3 is a totally different kind of game to Mass Effect, even if they fall under the broad umbrella of "RPGs", so I'm not sure a comparison is fair.

Both score really high on atmosphere, though. In the end, I'll go with Bioware, because I always know what's to be done and never sit around wondering what to do next, and because Mass Effect 1+2 are the only linear games I've ever played more than once besides Diablo II. Also, because the stories just have more of an emotional/aesthetic impact.

Never played a Square Enix game, so I can't say much there.

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
I don't like any of them very much.

Mass Effect 2 is my favorite RPG game (yes I know a lot of people say it isnt an RPG, I dont give a damn what its classified as really because compared to most other RPGs its actually fun) but everything else they've ever done, ranges on my scale of "dislike" to "hate".

Bethesda make decent games that need polish and have too many bugs. Oblivion was alright and Skyrim is looking better.

Square Enix are just awful, frankly.

Truth Cake

Aug 27, 2010
I'm giving it to Bioware- Square Enix just makes me shake my head with every Final Fantasy game they make after FF6, my personal favorite- or more appropriately, every one after FF1, because it just hsould've been the final one... but they had to go and live...

Anyways as much as I loved Oblivion, I liked DA:O more... and I just plain sucked at Fallout 3 until I got the DLC that gave me the stupidly overpowered Gauss Rifle, then it was a cakewalk.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Bioware.

In my book, story and characters beat open world.

Squeenix isn't even on my radar.

pixiejedi

Jan 8, 2009
bakan said:
Bethesda and Square/Soft/Enix are better for RPGs (even though the second one falls under JRPGs), Bioware just doesn't make them anymore.
What? Is that just more bashing on DA2? Get your head checked, :) ME3 will be out in March.

Bioware is my gaming bread and butter so I chose them. Bethesda wins awesome points for Fallout 3 but I just could not get into either Oblivion or Morrowind. Everyone says you have more choice but leaving Fallout 3 and from what I gathered of TES's when you finish up it doesn't feel like you've made an impact on the world. I guess I just like them epic with more direction.

I really like Square Enix, I really became a gamer with FFX, love IX, Chrono Trigger and the Kingdom Hearts games. It just seems like a lot of work sorting the game chaff from wheat with them. Too much focus on too many different things it seems. I also just want them to make Kingdom Hearts 3 already! Not like I understood what the hell was happening by the end of 2 though.

romanator0

Jun 3, 2011
Bioware games have very little character customization so they are barely RPGs. Can't be tough to beat that.

Dr.Helios

Mar 31, 2010
Bethesda shades it over Bioware by an inch for me I'm affraid, I love all of Bioware's efforts that I have ever played but I loved them for a couple of playthroughs and not much longer. I'm pretty sure that I have on file on Oblivion that has more hours clocked than all of my playthroughs for Mass Effect 1 and 2.

The worlds that Bethesda create are some of the best I have come across in any medium, the Capital Wasteland being the all time best for my personal tastes.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
DracoSuave said:
dyre said:
Bioware. Square's a joke, and Bethseda games are meh without the mods. I don't think technology has caught up to their ambition yet. Also, they have mediocre storylines.

DracoSuave said:
Veldie said:
You really shouldnt include Square in this since They Do JRPG maby put Obsidien instead?
Leave JRPG/WRPG elitism out the door. Also, Deus Ex 3, son.

OT: My vote is for Bethsteda
BioWare. They have the coherent story and characterization of Square-Enix games with the depth of character development of Bethesda... without the running down long one single endless corridor of Square-Enix, and without the buggy un-polishedness of Bethesda.

Also, I can't say Obsidian. They made Alpha Protocol and FO:NV, after all. Again... either buggy or sooooo full of unfulfilled promise.

Man, so many things AP did oh so very right... and oh so many things it got OH SO MUCH WRONG.
Deus Ex 3 is being done by Eidos Montreal...Square just pays for it :p

Agreed about Obsidian
So... Bethesda gets to claim FO:NV but Square-Enix doesn't get to claim Deus Ex 3?!

I call shinanegans.
I never said Bethseda gets to claim New Vegas :\

They get some credit for the engine, but it's Obsidian's game (and an inferior game to Bethseda's FO3, I might add)

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
pixiejedi said:
bakan said:
Bethesda and Square/Soft/Enix are better for RPGs (even though the second one falls under JRPGs), Bioware just doesn't make them anymore.
What? Is that just more bashing on DA2? Get your head checked, :) ME3 will be out in March.

[...]
And what does ME3 change?
Mass Effect 2 was already stripped to the bare minimum and more or less a shooter with RPG elements.
I never mentioned DA2, though it was bad and it seemed like a Mass Effect in the middle ages with even less content.

So for me it still holds true, that they more or less stopped making RPGs contrary to the other two developers - though I am not so excited about Skyrim with the latest news and FF XIII was an interactive movie until you came to the open world part - but imho a JRPG developer shouldn't be in the poll with 2 western studios.

edit: captcha "describe this brand with any word(s)" - hey now you can choose what you want to enter, I just chose [insert random swearword]

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Square Enix has made a lot of my favorite games over the years, so AFAIC, they are the best RPG company out there. Sure they are not the most innovative, but most of their games bring back fond memories of childhood, playing all of the games on the SNES.

Bethesda comes a distant second. I do not like a lot of their medieval fantasy games, but I like their iteration of Fallout.

I cannot stand Bioware games with a passion. To me the games are the same. Same storyline, same cookie cutter blank character, and same lack of urgency in the plot. All of them involve you as a person with a mysterious past, who is either destined to save the world or conquer it. The fact that you have to create a personality means that the writers were too lazy to finish their work and expect you to do it for them. Finally, there is no sense of urgency in the plot. The evil monster will wait to destroy the world until you are done dicking around in your harvest moon simulator. That aggravates me to no end.

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
I think I can safely rule out Square Enix. I like kingdom hearts but I dislike all Final Fantasies exept one and seven (one was good and saved the studio and seven was just great) plus they are JRPGs, which a completly different catagory.

Bethesda has the (in my opinion) most fun game series, the Elder Scrolls, and arguably the best fallout game besides fallout two's retarded version (just. too. fun.) but I feel like their NPC interactions and stories are lacking, which I think is important to an RPG.

Bioware however has great story and character interaction, plus they always have better an more fast paced combat than the other two companies, in my opinion at least. So yeah my vote is bioware.

If we were just choosing which company out of all make the best RPGs then CDprojekt because of the Withcher 2.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
malestrithe said:
The fact that you have to create a personality means that the writers were too lazy to finish their work and expect you to do it for them.

Isn't that one of the main aspects of RPGs? being able to create your own character with their own history, storyline and personality?

Finally, there is no sense of urgency in the plot. The evil monster will wait to destroy the world until you are done dicking around in your harvest moon simulator. That aggravates me to no end.
The exact same thing can be said for Bethesda game.

Semitendon

Aug 4, 2009
If you had asked me who makes the best RPG about five years ago, this might have been a tough choice.

But since Bioware has made both Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 2 since then. . .

The only option is Bethesda. A million times Bethesda.

Oblivion is the best RPG I've played, with KOTOR being a close, close second. Sadly, while Mass Effect 1 was good, and Dragon Age Origins was decent, the watered down, and linear progressions of both Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2 decimate any high opinion KOTOR might have brought Bioware.

Alternatively, Fallout 3 was decent, nothing stupendous, but decent. So Bethesda maintains their good standing, at least until Skyrim comes out, and we all find out just what "streamlining" means. Then, who knows where Bethesda will stand.

DerpyDerpyDerp

Mar 27, 2009
By sheer amount of titles I've enjoyed, I'd go Square Enix. However for more recent releases I'd probably go Bethesda.