Poll: Who Do You Think is Best RPGs Between Bioware, Square Enix, and Bethesda?

Ryan Minns

Mar 29, 2011
Hmm, recent times I'll say Bethesda due to the fact they haven't currently brought out their Action adventure sequel to an RPG (Despite me not liking Oblivion at all) and I guess Fallout 3 came out after it which many older school fans disagreed with but it was solid

Bioware... Well Bioware are just brilliant, seriously bringing out Gears of War with a story as their sequel to a brilliantly made RPG was gutsy and despite my hatred for the move (Not the game, just the leap away from RPGness) they succeeded... than they made DA2 removing any praise I just gave them

Square... same as Bioware for me for many years... than FF13 came out...

If it's pure history I'd say a tie between Bioware and Square, modern times I'd say Bethesda because they've disappointed me slightly less lately (Probably change if Skyrim disappoints)

Heartcafe

Feb 28, 2011
No Atlus? :/ Doesn't Persona count as an RPG? (or JRPG. but it's still an RPG.)
I'm a little cautious in voting for Bioware because though they make wonderful stories they are starting to slack a bit in terms of gameplay (and environments :p but I'll let that slide.)

wynnsora

Nov 16, 2009
In the confines of your 3 choices I'd say Bethesda. The only Square games I really love are the first Kingdom Hearts and the original Final Fantasy. Bioware and I have a bad history so I steer clear of their games entirely. As for Bethesda, Morrowind makes up for all bad they've done. I've got 8 years of that game under my belt and I still love it. I can recite the entire opening cutscene to the game. Even now I'm still finding side quests I never did!

Out of the 3 choices I'd pick Atlus. It all started with Contact, 2 weeks of my life gone in that game. Since then I've learned to love Persona.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Open world + good level of customisation + SDK = me happy

I'm going with Bethesda, their games may have more bugs and lacks any real kind of story but open worlds and SDKs keeps me busy very for a long time.

Pyro Paul

Dec 7, 2007
Bethesda games are poorly made from the RPG standpoint, but are complemented well by their free choice and free world mechanics.

Bioware games are generally really well designed, but have this huge problem in that you feel complete with the game 2/3rds of the way through. also, ever since it was aquired by EA their games have been seing a steady decline as the respective IP's are milked for every dollar they are worth; For every Dragon Age and Mass Effect which are absolutely great from the RPG standpoint, you have a Mass effect 2 and Dragon Age 2 which absolutely destroy the RPG mechanics for 'better flow'

Square Enix is really the only choice considering they not only have some of the Best RPG titles i've seen, but also that they continually push the bar with their development. And while some of their progress has been in the wrong way and lead to horrible game (cough*Final Fantasy XIII*cough) it is still some sort of progress.

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
Bioware does not make RPG anymore they make action game with rpg parts.

Beth gets all my love.

godofgamers

Oct 20, 2010
I've never really enjoyed a Square Enix RPG, but I liked ME1 and 2 and Dragon Age and Fallout 3 and Oblivion. I vote Bioware because although I think Fallout 3 is a bit more fun than Mass Effect, Bioware's characters and plots have always immersed me more in the story.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
That's not a very good comparison. That's essentially asking if we like structured, story-based RPGs; J-RPGs, or open-world, sandbox RPGs. The three make very different types of games, and it's not really possible to say which is better.

Going just on which games I like best, I'll go with Bethesda. I love my open world titles.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Bioware gives me a better coherent story but Bethesda gives me more agency. As such, while I tend to think Bioware makes the better game, Bethesda offers a better gaming experience.

Peter Andersen

Nov 15, 2010
CD Projekt and Bethesda are my favourite RPG developers thus far. Arenanet are also one of my top favourites, but they are MMORPG developers and I don't think you're including those.

Luke3184

Jun 4, 2011
HusaneFatal said:
Pretty simple which one of these companies do you think makes the best RPGs in your opinion?
You are a cruel man indeed, I can't decide between Bet or Bio, both I hold in high esteem as developers so I must abstain.

jakel_hybrid

Oct 26, 2010
Black Isle made the best RPGs ever. Baldur's gate, Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate II, Icewind Dale. And BioWare worked with them back in the heyday of RPGs, so my vote goes with them. They've also made Mass Effect, Dragon Age was awesome because it was basically Baldur's gate again in 3D.

Hristo Tzonkov

Apr 5, 2010
I vote Obsidian because because those are people who still make true RPGs despite the bug ridden games that get fixed a bit later.But haters gonna hate.Since they are in Bethesda right now I'm inclined to vote Bethesda as they have titles I enjoy in there.

Frostlich1228

Apr 28, 2010
bioware...because of the fact dragon age origens was the best game i've ever played ever!...fallout 3 was good...but i like story better....so i cast my vote bioware

Need MOAR APPLES

Feb 5, 2010
Black Isle when they existed...But, if I have no choice I will have to go with Obsidian and I think it's funny how you didn't include them.