Poll: Who Do You Think is Best RPGs Between Bioware, Square Enix, and Bethesda?

Frank Han

Jun 27, 2011
lol take that square enix! this is what you get when you put shit throat Toriyama Motomu in your godamn company of idiots!
funny how once Toriyama dissing Western RPG and says hitman and tombraider are "Western RPG" in the conferrence.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
-Dragmire- said:
I'm saying Squeenix because I'm enjoying Drakenguard way too much right now to vote for anything else.
This, and the fact that over my life, I have totalled more time on SE games than any other.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Bioware has given up on RPG's, tho some elements remain in their casual games.

Bethesda does still make them but their entire quality assurance team was sailing the Bermuda triangle never to be seen again, and in their honor they didn't employ a new one.

Square Enix is now like a Japan branch of EA, they buy up lots of shit and release it but they don't give a rats ass how it turns out.

So I guess Bethesda still holds the RPG torch, a broken and buggy torch but it's all we have left.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
For the amount of games I have enjoyed I'd have to say Bioware - although this is changing rather quickly, particularly with the likes of ME2 and DA2.

I did however enjoy playing FO3 and Oblivion but have not enjoyed many Square Enix games :/

Moriarty

Apr 29, 2009
I don't get why people think Bethesda games have any amount of choices in them. The only freedom you have in their games is to not do stuff as if turning off the consolle/pc is such a novel invention. So you can get Headmaster in different guilds, if there aren't any consequenses to that it isn't a choice, it's just another sidequest with a bit of rank/level grinding.

Fallout 3 at least had choices even if they were those stupid black/white ones that didn't make any sense because being evil didn't even reward you with short term benefits, so instead of being evil, you're just a douche. There was only one choice in Fallout 3 that had the potential to be an interesting moral dilemma, but they butchered that pretty badly. I'm talking about the big choice in the "The Pit" DLC, where they had an interesting idea of being cruel for the good of the many, but then made that obsolete by making one choice the "evil" one and making everyone from that side suddenly become a jackass to make it clear the other one was the "good" one.

Compare that to Fallout NV, not even has the game four different main ideas on how to complete the main story arc, many of the smaller factions change based on your actions. (Getting the elder fired in the Brotherhood Bunker, helping the Kings or the Followers gain influence in freeside instead of the NCR, reuniting the retired Enclave guys to become active again, ect.)

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
I'd pick a fourth option and say Obsidian. I like Bethesda quite a bit though. BioWare were amazing before they were bought by EA (KOTOR and Baldur's Gate are pretty much my favorite games) and while I still think they make good games for the most part, as RPG's they are lacking.

Square Enix sucks, in my opinion. There are much better JRPG developers out there, such as Atlus. They used to make such good games too, which is a shame.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Bioware wins this, regrettably.

Compare.
Let's first look at the 3 RPGs developed by Bethesda in the past 10 (!) years: Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3.

1. Morrowind has nice mushroom towers and creative stuff, but it plays like shit.
2. Oblivion is shit across the board. story, dialogue, game mechanics, art, level design are all bad. Beth even made Sir Patrick Stewart look bad.
3. Fallout 3 then. Great setting; poor shooter; simplistic RPG; shitty story and dialogues. Too bad Beth didn't invent that setting; they just bought it from Interplay.

Mediocre as Bioware are, their stories, writings, voice overs, visual designs and animations are still much superior to Bethesda's stuff. Not even a fanboy can deny this. So on a purely technical level Bethesda games cannot hold a candle to Bioware.

Gameplaywise then Mass Effect is a much better shooter than Fallout3, even with the mediocre gunplay in ME1. So Bioware do the actual game better too.

About Square Enix we can be short: they gave JRPGs a bad name with the pathetic FF series and their Disney crossovers.
They do publish some great games, made by other developers, but their own stuff is the worst crap.

So Bioware is king in the land of the blind.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
ChupathingyX said:
Errrr...Obsidian.

I've never played a Square Enix RPG or a Bioware RPG.

And Bethesda "RPGs" barely have any choice in them, at least the last two really dropped the ball, and I'm still on the fence about Skyrim.
You did play KOTOR 2, right? All Obsidian does is takes another franchise and uses it. KOTOR was from Bioware, Fallout is owned by Bethesda now. Obsidian does not make original games, therefore, they do not deserve your admiration. Go play DA:O, ME 1 & 2. Then tell us that Obsidian is great.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
mitchell271 said:
ChupathingyX said:
Errrr...Obsidian.

I've never played a Square Enix RPG or a Bioware RPG.

And Bethesda "RPGs" barely have any choice in them, at least the last two really dropped the ball, and I'm still on the fence about Skyrim.
You did play KOTOR 2, right? All Obsidian does is takes another franchise and uses it. KOTOR was from Bioware, Fallout is owned by Bethesda now. Obsidian does not make original games, therefore, they do not deserve your admiration. Go play DA:O, ME 1 & 2. Then tell us that Obsidian is great.
First off, you do know that Obsidian was originally Black Isle, the people who developed the original Fallout games in the first place right? And yeah, I have played pretty much every BioWare RPG, Jade Empire excluded and I still think Obsidian is better, even if their games are buggy as hell. KOTOR 2 even though unfinished, had an amazing story and while I think it was about equal, it doesn't mean they don't deserve any less praise than anyone else.

SadisticBrownie

May 9, 2011
I'd say Bethesda, with Bioware a close second. Squeenix's projects as Squaresoft were brilliant though, shame they've gone downhill so much.

Vapus

May 15, 2010
With the last Few years Dissappointments i would Say none of the above. Better RPGS Seem to come from Europe as of late . CD Projekt for instance . and wow FAIL .. Advertising forced on me to post ..

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
It's a constant leap frog scenario. Square Enix used to be king, but I don't see it as returning to any sort of stature any time soon. So it's between Bethesda and Bioware. Bioware has created some of the best games of all time, and so have Bethesda. I'm purely going on the fact that Bioware has made more good games than Bethesda. It's literally quantity over quality here, because their quality is equally matched.

They both have excellent standards. And I have no doubt that Bethesda will take the lead in my books when Skyrim comes out. But yeah, Enix, you don't stand a chance. The company has fallen into the realms of disappointment with me. All I do is forever long for them to return to what they used to do with a fresh new attitude. But no, they just make loads of run of the mill sci-fi high fantasy set in a unbelievable universe, littered with the most annoying characters I've ever seen in a game. And crap MMO's that just line this industry with fruitful failure stories.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Bioware for me, with Bethesda a close second for Morrowind and Fallout 3.

Squeenix isn't even anywhere in sight.

jezcentral

Nov 6, 2007
Bioware in first place, then Bethesda, and Square Enix last, but only because I have never played one of their games.

But I don't think you can criticise any of these companies, looking at what they've achieved. Kudos to each of them.

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
Woah...
I gotta say, I'm a huge RPG fan so I have to stress one thing...

Square - better at JRPGs
Bethesda - better at open world RPGs
BioWare - better at on-rails (+side-quests) RPGs.

But overall, I'm more or JRPG fan, so out of personal taste, I choose SE.

Bakuryukun

Jul 12, 2010
taking their entire game libraries into consideration Square Enix has made the most games that I enjoy out of the three companies...I have room in my game collection for games from all of them though, they all make quality games.