Poll: Who Do You Think is Best RPGs Between Bioware, Square Enix, and Bethesda?

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
pandorum said:
Xzi said:
ChupathingyX said:
Errrr...Obsidian.

I've never played a Square Enix RPG or a Bioware RPG.

And Bethesda "RPGs" barely have any choice in them, at least the last two really dropped the ball, and I'm still on the fence about Skyrim.
+1. Obsidian beats all of those choices. Although I'm not sure which is worse, Dungeon Siege 3 or Dragon Age 2...
obsidian? really? bioware is a whole league above obsidian only bethesda can compete with bioware only because of the elder scrolls franchise you must have a selective memory when it comes to obsidian they ruin franchises its what they do they are the treyarch of RPGs. 1.Neverwinter Nights 2 - The original Neverwinter Nights was made by Bioware, and was a fun, deep, and immersive game, held together with an interesting story.
The original Neverwinter Nights was made by Bioware, and was a fun, deep, and immersive game, [HEADING=1]held together with an interesting story[/HEADING]
I love these threads. They always bring out the best comedy.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
Squeenix =/= Square, therefore Bioware. I do love Bethesda too though.
I'm aware the first sentence rhymed.

YonderTunic

Mar 4, 2010
I've never played any Bioware games so that's a quick elimination for them, and I dislike the direction Square has been going for years, but I enjoy the old school Final Fantasy's more than I should. I'll give it to Bethesda since I loved Fallout 3 and New Vegas once they fixed the stupid amounts of bugs, and Skyrim certainly has me interested.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
ChupathingyX said:
Saelune said:
I personally, prefer as much freedom and choice as possible. (Its whats so great about DnD)
I would like more choice within the plots of TES, but I love the character freedom even more.
Bioware does story choice better, sure, but not freedom. Even if I am a total ass, I am a total ass saving the universe. Even the worst Shepard is still a good guy basically.
How is being forced to fight for Martin freedom?

Also in New Vegas you're given character freedom too, you can even chose whether you want to be straight/gay/bi and can even chose whether your character knows what a fish is.
Your forced to fight for Martin just like your forced to figure out who shot you in Fallout New Vegas (which is really stupid) instead of minding your own business and traveling on to other lands, or your forced to become a Grey Warden or be killed by Duncan, and then after that your FORCED to stop the Darkspawn or they'll just spread like a plague on the world. Your excuse is stupid. You cant just defy the storyline. You'd never reach the ending.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
ChupathingyX said:
And Bethesda "RPGs" barely have any choice in them, at least the last two really dropped the ball, and I'm still on the fence about Skyrim.
Wrong. Bethesda's game's have plenty of choice in them.

For example: Should I go on this creepy looking cave or not.. *you choose to walk away* may not be the choice your looking for but it's choice nonetheless.

OT: I can't decide between Bioware and Bethesda. Bioware make great story driven RPG's but Bethesda make great worlds to explore and I love open world games. *after careful consideration* Fuck it, Bethesda get's my vote.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I enjoy gameplay, story, and characters and care little for exploration. So I much prefer BioWare over Bethesda. I haven't played enough of Square's RPGs to really know. I've come around to JRPGs in the last year, but I still prefer a good western one.

Whispering Cynic

Nov 11, 2009
I hate Bioware for how ME2 turned out but they still get my vote. With their track record it wasn't a hard choice (Baldur's Gate, KotOR, Jade Empire, Mass Effect). Bethesda is fine too, sure, but I have some reservations about their RPGs.

And Square Enix... with JRPGs... yeah, no need to go there.

TornadoFive

Mar 9, 2011
Square Enix make JRPG's. They don't allow you you to role-play. They don't count.
Bioware comes ina close second, but ultimately fall for not having as much open-world freedom as my personal winner, Bethesda.

Yeah, Bioware do better with choices and consequences, but if I want to play an RPG, I want to be able to just take off in one direction, doing whatever you want, playing as who you want. In other words, role-playing.

aakibar

Apr 14, 2009
I liked mass effect and dragon age for the most part mainly because of the back story etc that went into it. Though Bethesda comes in a very close 2nd because oblivion was great but it still needed some help when it was realeased. Honestly though I play fallout the most and that wasn't maade by any of the above peoples ( I guess it could be bethesda but not really). I just don't like squeareenix that much sorry guys.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Echo136 said:
Your forced to fight for Martin just like your forced to figure out who shot you in Fallout New Vegas (which is really stupid) instead of minding your own business and traveling on to other lands, or your forced to become a Grey Warden or be killed by Duncan, and then after that your FORCED to stop the Darkspawn or they'll just spread like a plague on the world. Your excuse is stupid. You cant just defy the storyline. You'd never reach the ending.
You would be right if it weren't for the fact that fighting with Martin is how the whole second half Oblivion happpend, and trying to find Benny was the first half of the New vegas story. Not to mention that yeah sure you want to find Benny, but what you do to him and is up to you, you don't have to kill him. Benny sets the stage for New Vegas' story which then turns into decisions.

Kungfu_Teddybear said:
For example: Should I go on this creepy looking cave or not.. *you choose to walk away* may not be the choice your looking for but it's choice nonetheless.
That is a horrible example to use, in that case almost every single game ever is a RPG. In Crash Bandicoot I can choose to go into the bonus area or not, doesn't make it a RPG.

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
I'm going to go for BioWare, since I like their stories and especially their characters. I may have spent countless hours playing The Elder Scrolls and Fallout 3, but I've never stayed interested long enough to actually finish them.

Haven't played any Square Enix RPGs, but I get the impression that there's little if any actual roleplaying involved.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
ChupathingyX said:
Echo136 said:
You would be right if it weren't for the fact that fighting with Martin is how the whole second half Oblivion happpend, and trying to find Benny was the first half of the New vegas story. Not to mention that yeah sure you want to find Benny, but what you do to him and is up to you, you don't have to kill him. Benny sets the stage for New Vegas' story which then turns into decisions.

Kungfu_Teddybear said:
That is a horrible example to use, in that case almost every single game ever is a RPG. In Crash Bandicoot I can choose to go into the bonus area or not, doesn't make it a RPG.
Dude it was a joke, don't take it too seriously now.

Pierce Graham

Jun 1, 2011
I just can't bring myself to choose between Bethesda and Bioware. I love The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Mass Effect and KotoR, and i think both are the masters of RPGs.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Wuggy said:
modman8 said:
...Skyrim....
imahobbit4062 said:
I'll love Skyrim.
spartan231490 said:
Chase Yojimbo said:
but Skyrim takes the gold this year
Skyrim isn't out yet, it could be utter shit for all we know. You're basing your judgement on assumption and hype.

In my mind Bioware wins. For me personally, good characters, immersion and story are the most important things in a RPG. Bioware delivers all of those things satisfyingly.

Bethesda has done impressive things but I can't get immersed in their games for they are too unpolished and go to the "uncanny valley" territory. Also their stories aren't very good.

Square... well, JRPGs just aren't my thing.
We aren't basing our judgment on assumption and hype. We are basing it on the fact that oblivion was awesome, morrowind was awesome, the fallout series was awesome, and especially the fact that every single thing we have heard about skyrim, including the gameplay trailer. It's a pretty good bet that with those credentials, the games gonna be awesome.

As for not being immersed in bathesda games, I'm sorry. They're a great experience. Just one question: why are characters so important to you in an RPG? I ask because I generally prefer RPGs like oblivion where there is only one main character, where you make all the decisions. this ends up in there usually being very few characterized characters. Just trying to see why you dislike that style of game(seemingly).

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Issurru said:
spartan231490 said:
HusaneFatal said:
Pretty simple which one of these companies do you think makes the best RPGs in your opinion?
Bathesda. way bathesda. not even a contest bathesda. Morrowind, oblivion, skyrim. Hell, bioware is barely even making RPGs anymore tbh. Dragon Age 2 is almost not an RPG, it's a straight action game, and Mass Effect 2 is worse by leagues. good games, but not good RPGs.
I will counter your point with Kotor, and also the fact that oblivion is just as action oriented as dragon age 2 (but to be fair I don't like either of them) and also skyrim seems to be going the same direction as oblivion. Not to say the game sucks (I have high hopes and I'm going to end up getting it like I did oblivion and morrowind) but I wouldn't call it an rpg. But that's just my opinion on it. Also sorry if there are any typos or other mistakes, I'm typing this with my phone at work

OT: my vote goes with bioware, but not by much, both square and beth are damn close since they make good games but I just love kotor waaaaaay too much :)

Edit: How the hell did I forget about neverwinter nights? :(
Kotor doesn't counter 4 great games on it's own. and oblivion is not just as action oriented as dragon age 2. What I meant is that dragon age 2 has removed a bunch of it's RPG elements, making it just an action game. Oblivion has far more character customization and other RPG elements than Dragan age 2. Oblivion was a real RPG, and skryim is going to be just as much an RPG. what do you mean when you say that oblivion isn't a real RPG? this confuses me.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Dude it was a joke, don't take it too seriously now.
I do take it serious, Bethesda receive way too much praise for their "RPGs" that it's really worrying me where the whole RPG industry is going. People love Bethesda gmes so Bethesda keep making thier "RPGs" an we potential for greatness is lost.

Then the line between RPG and action/adventure is blurred and people start calling Bethesda games "true RPGs" and declare Bethesda the greatest, sometimes using a game that hasn't even ben freakin' released yet as an example.

Baconmaninspace

Jun 8, 2011
I vote Square simply because of what they've done in the past. If you consider more recent efforts though, I'd have to go with Bethesda.