Poll: Who here that has graduated high-school (or equivalent) still lives with their parents?

Axyun

Oct 31, 2011
My parents give me lip every time I bring up the "moving out" conversation. Keep telling me it's stupid to throw away $1600/month just for a room with a bed to sleep in. I work full time and have a long commute so I'm not home for most of the day. I earn a good salary, have my own car, and help pay for more than my share of expenses so I guess it's convenient for the folks to keep me around as well.

In all honesty, I don't really have a legitimate reason to move out. Not like I'm crazy about having kids and starting a family so that's not a valid reason. And the folks don't get into my personal stuff so it's not like I'm restricted from anything I want to do.

Might as well keep the symbiotic relationship going.

Johann610

Nov 20, 2009
I worked out of my parents' basement until I got a REAL job after college. That took about 6 months. I consider it the final rite of passage to live by myself in a strange town and have to make friends from scratch.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Peteron said:
Wow, that is a lot of people. Didn't expect the stereotype to be so true. I have yet to graduate highschool, but I don't plan on living with my parents.
The stereotype is more a person in their 30's who's long since been out of school, unemployed and still living with their parents.(doing dick all to change that predicament) You'll notice that most if not all of the people saying they still live with their parents are attending college. When you're forking out several grand a year for classes getting to save money on housing by continuing to live at home is a fucking god send.

If you're planing to attend college in your home town (maybe you aren't, I dunno) then financially it's going to be in your best interest to simply live with your parents. Trust me on that. I've had far too many friends flunk out of school because they decided they wanted to live on their own while going to college. If your parents want to support you while going to school don't turn them down. It's one less thing you have to worry about while attending classes.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
Yeah, you can't get the data you want this way. Here's why:

Peteron said:
Wow, that is a lot of people. Didn't expect the stereotype to be so true. I have yet to graduate highschool, but I don't plan on living with my parents.
First of all, it is really fucking hard to find a job with just a high school degree now. The majority of the people who are on this website(and have a high school diploma) are fresh out of high school or still in college(who are all but living with their parents). Also the sample size of about 90 people isn't going to tell you much. Not to mention the only people who would answer this poll are the people who identify themselves as "nerds". The stereotype really says nerds are 30+ years old, maybe have a job (usually some IT job), usually overweight, and refuse to move out because of some social ineptitude. Most of the people who answered yes are probably looking for a job or don't have a job that can support them, are around 20, and are actually trying to get the money to move out. It really wasn't our plan to still be living with our parents; we really didn't have a better choice.

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
Haven't graduated high school yet, but I'll kill myself if I live with my parents long after I do.

I don't care if I lose college time to work a shitty job to make rent, I want my independence as soon as possible after my diploma is handed to me.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I still live at home because A- Long Island is very expensive and B- I take care of my disabled mother.

WaReloaded

Jan 20, 2011
I'm almost 20 and I live with my Grandparents, my Mum and Dad split up and yeah, I didn't really have anywhere else to go. I don't have to pay for the Internet though, so that's one positive.

K4ndY

Jun 10, 2010
No, never lived with my parents after graduating, even when I went to University. In fact, I now own a house with my boyfriend (also a gamer).

Our younger siblings have been renting our extra rooms though from time to time, so I guess it does kind of feel like when we lived with our parents.

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
Hell, I've graduated university and I'm still at home. I sacrafised the whole res experience of uni in order to stay out of debt. To this day I have $0 debt. Once I find a quality job I'll be able to move out and start my adult life with no debt; awesome.

May 5, 2010
I lived with my parents only during the summer following my senior year in high school and the summer following my freshmen year of college. During the semester, I've lived in a dorm. Now, my friends and I are looking to move in to a house together. Should be pretty awesome. I look forward to my life becoming a quirky sitcom.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
Graduated school about a year ago and I still live with my parents (19 by the way). In the town I live in it's annoying to get a job, plus being disabled isn't the best stigma to have in trying to get a job (I have a government agency offering to pay places to have me work there and still no acceptances or interviews). Disablity pension (or any pension here) sucks ass, wouldn't be able to support myself unless I moved in with at least 2 others. Then I'd have to find a place with a decent sized shower, so yeah, right now is hard for me to move out.

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
I moved out for grad school. It eats into my scholarship something wicked, but I just felt like it was the right time to start making my own way. Totally jealous of my older sister though - she still lives at home, and its saved her a crapton of money =P

Varitel

Jan 22, 2011
I did graduate high school, I lived on campus at university during freshmen year, but now I'm a commuter student.

DarthSka

Mar 28, 2011
I'm 21 and in college, but Christmas, Summer, and random weekends I'm back at home. It isn't a situation where they're tired of me either. My arrival is something they legitimately look forward to me, so no guilt for me. Then again my mom gives me a sad look any time I say I'm going out to see friends back at home too....

That_Sneaky_Camper

Aug 19, 2011
I'm 19 and I graduated in 2010, still live with my parents. Currently attending college until I can get a degree and a job. It certainly helps that my Dad is in the Military and I get paid to go to school thanks to his GI Bill that he transferred to me. School pretty much is my job right now so I don't have any motivation to leave my parents.

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
I still live with my parents for various reasons. It saves money and school is 15-25 minutes away (multiple campuses). I do most of the running around and tidy up now and then. But the most important reason is my dog. She doesn't go with me when I move out. So, I'm here until something happens (deity forbid) to my dog.